Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

we're in a thread for a game where they decided to just hand the franchise off to american fans :confused:

and many major japanese publishers have been trying to chase western design trends and tastes, which is why you have more open world games and IPs handed off to western developers.

Also a shitload of Japanese games have been getting released on Steam lately when even five years ago they wouldn't have given even a small gently caress about gaijins on their computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sue posted:

Good games, maybe.

Good Sonic games, certainly not.

Those goalposts aren't too heavy, are they?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sue posted:

Good games, maybe.

Good Sonic games, certainly not.

I'd say the first bar is a good deal higher than the latter there

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dabir posted:

Those goalposts aren't too heavy, are they?

that's not moving goal posts.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
The only game with modern sonic that owns real hard is sonic racing transformed.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Groovelord Neato posted:

2.5D like that almost always looks bad

Yes, which is why they get credit for making a 2.5D game that looked good.

Sonic 4 has a reputation for the being the worst retro revival but holy poo poo were there some awful retro throwback games released last gen that noone ever talks about.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Rocket knight was pretty bad but not sonic 4 bad. Bionic commando rearmed was decent.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sonic 4 has a reputation for the being the worst retro revival but holy poo poo were there some awful retro throwback games released last gen that noone ever talks about.
Yeah but people always talk about how bad Sonic is, it's part of the cycle

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah but people always talk about how bad Sonic is, it's part of the cycle

Both episodes of Sonic 4 are bad, let's not kid ourselves, it's just that they're not even close to the bottom of the barrel.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've had enough of the negativity in this thread. We are brothers. It greatly disturbs me when I think about how stubborn and absolutist some of SA's Sonic "fans" can behave so I'll begin the healing by saying some nice/constructive things about all of the Sonic games that aren't my favorite:

Sonic Lost World is extremely pretty and the music is nice, I think if they had another year or two to polish it up it could've been as good as Generations.

Sonic 4 Ep 1 had really chill special stages and I had fun no-damaging the final boss for the achievement.

Sonic 4 Ep 2 was much better looking than Ep 1 and the physics were a bit better so I think they took some fan feedback.

Sonic 2006 has probably my favorite Main Theme of any Sonic game and honestly the story isn't that bad.

Sonic Unleashed was a necessary and pivotal step in what would lead to the best sonic games in a decade. Rooftop Run is probably in my top 5 fav Sonic levels of all time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I've had enough of the negativity in this thread. We are brothers. It greatly disturbs me when I think about how stubborn and absolutist some of SA's Sonic "fans" can behave so I'll begin the healing by saying some nice/constructive things about all of the Sonic games that aren't my favorite:

Sonic Lost World is extremely pretty and the music is nice, I think if they had another year or two to polish it up it could've been as good as Generations.

Uh-huh, with you.

quote:

Sonic 4 Ep 1 had really chill special stages and I had fun no-damaging the final boss for the achievement.
Uh

quote:

Sonic 4 Ep 2 was much better looking than Ep 1 and the physics were a bit better so I think they took some fan feedback.
Huh

quote:

Sonic 2006 has probably my favorite Main Theme of any Sonic game and honestly the story isn't that bad.
Ok you lost me

quote:

Sonic Unleashed was a necessary and pivotal step in what would lead to the best sonic games in a decade. Rooftop Run is probably in my top 5 fav Sonic levels of all time.
yeah well I played the wii version and it sucks poo poo

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

This is a good list and my favorite part of 06 is when you have to play as all of your friends to gather the Dragonballs together and revive Goku.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah I really don't get the colour powers in SLW. They just pop up at confusing random.

I still have no idea what's the advantage of actually keeping with the Rhythm Wisp Power as opposed to just mashing the buttons.

Erata posted:

This is a good list and my favorite part of 06 is when you have to play as all of your friends to gather the Dragonballs together and revive Goku.

But what awbout the Time Dimensions that suck the fun out of you?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Kikas posted:

But what awbout the Time Dimensions that suck the fun out of you?

Ok those were pretty awful, but if anyone makes a romhack or fangame, those will make frequent reappearance in Sonic: Kaiz'06.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

yeah well I played the wii version and it sucks poo poo

dimps.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic 2006 honestly the story isn't that bad.

Beep, I like you. But no. His world and what not is catchy I will give you that. That is the only good thing about 06.

Everything else can go back to the fire tornado wreck.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 6, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The best thing about '06 is that it's the gift that keeps on giving as far as wonky speedrun tricks and glitch exhibitions go.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Beep, I like you. But no. His world and what not is catchy I will give you that. That is the only good thing about 06.

Everything else can go back to the fire tornado wreck.

Have to agree - Sonic 06 is flawed at the very core, and it's only made worse by the fact it's so rushed, the Demo used a later build for Kingdom Valley than the release.

Still. Sonic 06 is the Adventure 3 we deserved.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

In Sonic Mania, has it been confirmed whether the villain will be referred to as Robotnik or Eggman? This is very important.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Crisis City is really good in Generations at least I hope in ten years or whatever when a new generation of Sonic fans take over the Sonic Team they make dimps into a kid friendly swear word. Eggman telling Sonic he's going to dimp his bright blue behind.

I think one of the dudes in Sonic Lost World said he wanted to pound Sonic's butt though which was pretty weird.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

loving thank you

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Pureauthor posted:

I remember when Project Needlemouse was first revealed as Sonic 4 and everyone was all 'holy poo poo Sonic is BACK you guys'

I personally thought Sonic 4 looked like greasy booty butt the first time I saw it and I'm glad history has proved me correct

Sonic Mania however is going to be GOTG (Game of the generation)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jsor posted:

The best thing about '06 is that it's the gift that keeps on giving as far as wonky speedrun tricks and glitch exhibitions go.

I still watch that one famous game grumps vid every once in a while and it's always funny. The part where they game over and it dawns on them they have to start from scratch because they didn't know they had to manually save the game is really funny too

What I said about 06's story, I dunno, I kinda want to expand on it but you all made me feel embarrassed now :(

edit: found the clip

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 6, 2016

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I still watch that one famous game grumps vid every once in a while and it's always funny. The part where they game over and it dawns on them they have to start from scratch because they didn't know they had to manually save the game is really funny too

What I said about 06's story, I dunno, I kinda want to expand on it but you all made me feel embarrassed now :(

Please do expand. And if you want to watch more funny Sonic 06 LPs, watch Pokecapn and his crew suffer through the game. That Radical Train is something that has to be experienced.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

beep by grandpa posted:

Nah, go for it man. I mean someone probably enjoys Shadow's story in STH so it can't be bad as that. :v:

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

VikingofRock posted:

In Sonic Mania, has it been confirmed whether the villain will be referred to as Robotnik or Eggman? This is very important.

Studiopolis has Egg-words all over so probably Eggman :sigh:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Sonic 2006 gave us the greatest LP of that game by Pokecapn and his posse, so for that alone I'm glad the game exists

I wish they were able to do LPs like that again; it's been way too long since the Four Swords Adventures LP

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Sonic 2006 gave us the greatest LP of that game by Pokecapn and his posse, so for that alone I'm glad the game exists

I wish they were able to do LPs like that again; it's been way too long since the Four Swords Adventures LP

Not to hijack the thread a little, I noticed they haven't done much. What happen?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah this is kinda why I think Sonic 4 is actually the worst of the franchise

Like Sonic 2006 has given us all so much joy

Just not the joy Sega intended. No one is going to go back and cherish LPs of Sonic 4 in 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

he was called both in the originals and he'll be called both in this one

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Isn't he technically Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik?

I'd just like him to be called both. Wasn't the Genesis/Mega Drive more popular outside Japan anyway?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It was but 20+ years of western-made Sonic media demonstrates why they should defer to whatever Japan says is canon.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Isn't he technically Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik?

I'd just like him to be called both. Wasn't the Genesis/Mega Drive more popular outside Japan anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvq8tCljS0&t=26s

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It was but 20+ years of western-made Sonic media demonstrates why they should defer to whatever Japan says is canon.
I'll give you that the archie bonfire of hobo corpses is pretty bad but Japan's efforts in way past crap storytelling have reached a way bigger audience.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Archie is good now though.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Not to hijack the thread a little, I noticed they haven't done much. What happen?

The moved to different places and got different jobs and stuff after college so they never really had the time to do more LPs.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I really like Lost Worlds aesthetic even if it is cribbing entirely off Mario. I don't think I prefer it to Unleashed though, those levels were absolutely gorgeous and I want a return to that, which might be happening with 2017?

I know in Mania they've said it's STK as playable characters, but in a dream scenario who would you want in 32 bit glory? I'd love to see a return of Blaze, she's genuinely one of the best designed friends

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vector!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Watching that game slowly destroy souls was almost, but not quite worth its existence. At least that embarrassed Sonic Team enough to start improving and fire their writing staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

Probably neither? Kinda how he was never outright named in the genesis sonics except for the manuals? I feel like Mania is going to go with the wordless storyline style the old games used.

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Eh, he always had Egg branding. Like how Wing Fortress in S2 had the EG logo and was marked EGGMAN-01.