Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'd rather play a game set prior to and during the first outbreaks.

You could be one of the scientists working at the lab with everyone being untrustworthy to create some kind of paranoid tension like in The Thing.

Then it all goes to poo poo and you have to try and escape while your company tries to erase you, the monsters try to eat you and the stars team blow everything away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Guillermus posted:

I'd play the poo poo out of that. Something like Prototype but being an Umbrella experiment and doing quests either for the corporation or siding with survivors.

That, but without siding with survivors per se. Always for the corporation due to your programming, but you can affect how much you help the corporation and limit the damage you can deal when you have to attack. Attacking when you have a distinct disadvantage, coralling the survivors towards where they need to go/towards one another, keeping an escape route open for them and whatnot, if you wish with a Dead Rising style timer and the survivors are trying to fulfill objectives.

That or just Outbreak 3.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like an outbreak game that doesn't play like poo poo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Renegade interrupt: STARS. . .

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bogart posted:

Renegade interrupt: STARS. . .

NEMESIS TIRED OF SNIDE INSINUATIONS <PUNCH>

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Doesn't 6 technically have a mode like that as well where one dude is Ustanak? Not that i've actually gotten to play it because the multiplayer modes are dead but it seems like it'd be interesting.

It has a mode where you can set yourself up for Souls-style player invasions. The invader(s) repeatedly spawns in as one of the enemies in the stage, until the host clears the stage or the invader quits.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Or the host restarts checkpoint.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alteisen posted:

I'd like an outbreak game that doesn't play like poo poo.

I would play an outbreak game that controls like 6.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The only prequel type game I'd be interested in playing is one set up like Alpha Protocol where you get to play as Wesker and orchestrate everything from pre-RE1 to RE4.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think resident evil 3 would make for a good telltale game

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Neo Rasa posted:

The only prequel type game I'd be interested in playing is one set up like Alpha Protocol where you get to play as Wesker and orchestrate everything from pre-RE1 to RE4.

Dialog options are a choice of smug, smug, smug and TOTAL GLOBAL SATURATION

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Panzeh posted:

I would play an outbreak game that controls like 6.
I'd be all over a game like that. Why do you have to give me such dreams of a RE game we'll never get?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Dialog options are a choice of smug, smug, smug and TOTAL GLOBAL SATURATION

Don't forget CHRRRIIIIISSSSSSSSSS

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Does anyone have a good checklist for RE 5 poo poo as you're going through levels? I haven't played it since the 360 launch and I don't want 500 lines of text describing each individual majini combination between "oh yeah and an emblem/gun whatever here, by the wood".

Also if you hate yourself and want to Ps4 it with me my PSN is EffEmmEll.

Vvvvv I remember some bullshit with having to boat around for one, and something else being annoying in a sun laser death maze

OxMan fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 4, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think any of the guns are particularly hidden in re5, so the only collectibles are treasures and emblems.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is the auto QTE setting broken in RE6 on PS4? I have it activated, but in the Jake campaign on professional that part where you have to open 3 doors with the spinning QTE is impossible for me, I've tried it a dozen times and I'm just not fast enough. I thought enabling auto assist would prevent this, so what gives?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I reinstalled RE6 because I wanted to give it another shot. I've been practising in Mercenaries and I still cannot get countering down. I remember mentioning my problem with it before, specifically with the Bloodshots, where if I tried to counter when the prompt appeared, it was already too late, but trying as they (or any other enemy) begins the attack, it's too early and I whiff. Am I missing something or am I just super bad at RE6? Because I could just be, I find myself wishing it was slower, like RE4, a lot.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

Is the auto QTE setting broken in RE6 on PS4? I have it activated, but in the Jake campaign on professional that part where you have to open 3 doors with the spinning QTE is impossible for me, I've tried it a dozen times and I'm just not fast enough. I thought enabling auto assist would prevent this, so what gives?
The QTE assist is really strangely picky about what events it makes easier. That Jake part is one where it does not help at all, despite it being the absolute hardest QTE sequence in the game on Professional. You just gotta spin better? It loving sucks and made me mad when going through

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The spin part on QTEs is more about doing a perfect spin than doing it fast. I did them on PC putting my palm over the stick like it was an arcade stick and worked well for me. For some reason if you don't do it perfectly it doesn't reg it at all so you end doing twice the movements.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

catlord posted:

I reinstalled RE6 because I wanted to give it another shot. I've been practising in Mercenaries and I still cannot get countering down. I remember mentioning my problem with it before, specifically with the Bloodshots, where if I tried to counter when the prompt appeared, it was already too late, but trying as they (or any other enemy) begins the attack, it's too early and I whiff. Am I missing something or am I just super bad at RE6? Because I could just be, I find myself wishing it was slower, like RE4, a lot.

If you're waiting for the prompt, you're too late. Some enemies are very easy to counter(like zombies, especially ones with weapons). With the zombie attacks, you have to wait until they're basically starting to come toward you with their swing. I believe there's a trick where if you begin a taunt you can mash attack without risking doing a melee move. Make sure you do not have your weapon raised when you go for a counter.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Also spinning both control sticks makes any of the spinning QTE's quite trivial since the game will count both stick's rotations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

catlord posted:

Bloodshots are actually really good practice for countering because they can be baited into leaping at you by standing a certain distance away from them. Do not pay attention to the prompt. Once you have countering them down to muscle memory they become big wonderful balloons of free points and i frames.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i didn't even know that taunts were in the game. now i love agent even more.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

catlord posted:

As others have said, the on-screen prompt comes way too late. Ignore it and instead look at the actual enemy's animations. With weapon-equipped zombies, you want to hit melee after they wind up, and their weapon is on a collision course with your face, but before it hits. With bloodshots.... you know how Leon has that kick as his default melee option? I visualize it as when I would have to time the kick such that it hit them in the face as they leaped at me, and that always seems to work as well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Panzeh posted:

If you're waiting for the prompt, you're too late. Some enemies are very easy to counter(like zombies, especially ones with weapons). With the zombie attacks, you have to wait until they're basically starting to come toward you with their swing. I believe there's a trick where if you begin a taunt you can mash attack without risking doing a melee move. Make sure you do not have your weapon raised when you go for a counter.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Bloodshots are actually really good practice for countering because they can be baited into leaping at you by standing a certain distance away from them. Do not pay attention to the prompt. Once you have countering them down to muscle memory they become big wonderful balloons of free points and i frames.

Backhand posted:

As others have said, the on-screen prompt comes way too late. Ignore it and instead look at the actual enemy's animations. With weapon-equipped zombies, you want to hit melee after they wind up, and their weapon is on a collision course with your face, but before it hits. With bloodshots.... you know how Leon has that kick as his default melee option? I visualize it as when I would have to time the kick such that it hit them in the face as they leaped at me, and that always seems to work as well.

Yeah, when I last played it I was waiting for the prompt and was told the same thing. Now I'm trying to time it before the prompt even appears and it's almost always too early. With zombies I can counter maybe, maybe 50% of the time, but anything else I either can't or every once in a while get lucky and get one.

Edit: Managed to unlock Helena and Sherry. I am still awful at countering though. I killed a lot of Bloodshots, but that was mostly because Helena has the grenade launcher that will stun them so I can kick their chest cavities in. Countered two, but I suspect that was mostly luck. I countered a dog at one point which I'd figured you couldn't do and the prompt was coming from a zombie taking a swing at me at the same time after trying to find a good way to deal with the little fucks.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 7, 2016

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
RE6 Countering pro tip: Your weapon raising/lowering animation can't be cancelled into a melee attack, but can be canceled into a counter. If you just aim at an enemy until right before you'd want to counter and then let go of aim and mash counter it will work every time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing RE4 for the first time since it came out on the Cube basically and wow I did not remember it being so stingy with ammo, at least early on. I was glad when the cabin defence part happened because I ended up with a ton more ammo than I started with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah unless you rely heavily on melee early enemies are kind of damage sponges. that changes once you can start souping up your guns, of course.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing RE4 for the first time since it came out on the Cube basically and wow I did not remember it being so stingy with ammo, at least early on. I was glad when the cabin defence part happened because I ended up with a ton more ammo than I started with.

RE 4 has kind of an inverse difficulty curve where the hardest part of the game is the beginning because of how weak your guns are and how little health you have to work with. This is even more apparent when you start a game on professional difficulty.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
RE4 also has some kind of algorithm that makes it give you ammo when you're really low, to make you feel like you're always about to run out.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

RE4 also has some kind of algorithm that makes it give you ammo when you're really low, to make you feel like you're always about to run out.

All the later RE games will drop ammo if you're low. They also only drop ammo for weapons you have.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
RE4 actually had completely different drop algorithms across its various versions, some have you swimming in money early, others gave you a ton of ammo, some gave you both.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only thing that should be dropping is kicks IMO.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I was googling to see if I could find a FATE hack for a Resident Evil tabletop game and instead stumbled on this: http://residentevilrpgrebirth.blogspot.com/. The links are broken of course but I'm wondering if it's worth actually trying to find or not. Anyone play it before?

I mean just watch that trailer. This looks like a high quality experience https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6jfYWiEHg8

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
That looks rad as poo poo! I'm sure it's a quality experience.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The real question is better or worse than Resident Evil Gaiden?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alteisen posted:

RE4 actually had completely different drop algorithms across its various versions, some have you swimming in money early, others gave you a ton of ammo, some gave you both.

It also has adaptive difficulty. Enemies get more aggressive, do more damage, and take more damage depending on how well you're doing. Also, the game will spawn more enemies too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alteisen posted:

PS4 must be in the money side then because I've had more than enough to buy every weapon I've wanted (so everything other than the TMP) and upgrade them all as soon as they were unlocked and I definitely remember having to pick and choose first time through. Though it probably helps that I'm actually collecting treasures this time instead of missing most of them.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Sakurazuka posted:

PS4 must be in the money side then because I've had more than enough to buy every weapon I've wanted (so everything other than the TMP) and upgrade them all as soon as they were unlocked and I definitely remember having to pick and choose first time through. Though it probably helps that I'm actually collecting treasures this time instead of missing most of them.

Yeah, treasures are like... Actually loving huge in RE4. Especially the combinable ones. Kinda a shame there were more gem parts than main portion parts but hey. I still got my bitchin mug.

Also why I was disappointed in RE5's treasure system. And weapon system. And I guess mission system.

Still loving hilarious Albert Wesker- an Aryan male- had the Heart of Africa just sitting there in his pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
RE4 also has a weird thing where enemies are more aggressive if they are in view of the camera.

You notice this lots in speed runs, especially in the novistador sections where the runners just point the camera at the floor and can usually blindly run through entire sections filled with them untouched.