Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ofaloaf posted:

Say Uncle is the best episode, though.

Hm, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Hope I didn't miss this being posted, PBS published an interview with Rebecca Sugar about what its like to be "That Gay Show on Cartoon Network"

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/rebecca-sugar-steven-universe-lgtbq/

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I didn't like it at first, but after a few days I realized it was better than I gave it credit for. There's actually a lot of really great jokes, like Amethyst tripping over the letter "Y" and then screaming "Whhhhhyyyyyyyy?!"

Still glad it was a one time deal.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Say Uncle is a very controversial episode: half of the people who see it think it's hilarious, the other half hate it.

Personally I like it, but then I also like the Uncle Grandpa cartoon and I can understand why people who don't enjoy that kind of humor might find it annoying.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It was fine as a one off thing, and had some jokes I genuinely laughed at.

I can't stand UG normally though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Holy poo poo I didn't even realize "Uncle Grandpa" was a franchise external to this show.

Jesus Christ.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

GunnerJ posted:

Is this Uncle Grandpa poo poo going to be a recurring thing because ugh.

It also was entirely written by the SU writers: Heck, it's the same writers as episodes like Ocean Gem, Giant Woman, Steven and the Stevens, and Jail Break

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Say Uncle is a very controversial episode: half of the people who see it think it's hilarious, the other half hate it.

Personally I like it, but then I also like the Uncle Grandpa cartoon and I can understand why people who don't enjoy that kind of humor might find it annoying.

There's also the people who think it's better than UG

GunnerJ posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even realize "Uncle Grandpa" was a franchise external to this show.

Jesus Christ.

It has premiered a scant few months prior to SU

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 6, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GunnerJ posted:

Jesus Christ.

That's because CN is quietly burying it like they do all their less successful shows after they rotate in new ones. Hell, they sometimes do it for their successful shows too.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

SwimmingSpider posted:

Hope I didn't miss this being posted, PBS published an interview with Rebecca Sugar about what its like to be "That Gay Show on Cartoon Network"

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/rebecca-sugar-steven-universe-lgtbq/

Rebecca Sugar, Human Avatar of Everything Good In The Universe posted:

"Initially with fusion, what I was really excited about was finding a way to talk about relationships that would be fun and exciting and action-oriented in this show that’s primarily targeted at six to 11 year old boys. I wanted the concept of healthy relationship vs. an unhealthy relationship to be exciting as good guy vs. bad guy. The idea of working on your relationship and caring about it would be as exciting as working out and becoming a buff, amazing fighter. This is something that can benefit you and your life and the people around you, if you sort of care about these relationships that you’re in with everyone around you and with someone that you love. I wanted that to be really cool and exciting."

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Garnet plays a keytar in Steven and the Stevens.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The artwork on Greg's van kicks rear end.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Greg is the best dad in any television show I've ever seen. The dude is the very best.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GunnerJ posted:

The artwork on Greg's van kicks rear end.

Yeah, but how much better would it be if it had a kickass wizard on it?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

There's really no contest, Greg's van is cool and all but imagine how much cooler it'd be if it had a space wizard on it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GunnerJ posted:

Jesus Christ.

Oh my god, I don't wanna even imagine seeing that episode without knowing this in advance. :psyboom:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shima Honnou posted:

There's really no contest, Greg's van is cool and all but imagine how much cooler it'd be if it had a space wizard on it.

Ian JQ could have put this on it

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Data Graham posted:

Oh my god, I don't wanna even imagine seeing that episode without knowing this in advance. :psyboom:

Uncle Grandpa is an important cornerstone of Steven Universe lore. We just need to figure out how this eldritch uncle-and-grandfather to the human race knew Rose.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Data Graham posted:

Ian JQ could have put this on it

Ian JQ is a national treasure, this drawing alone confirms that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Holy poo poo I never even considered that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I pretty much hoped that the fact that it said "APRIL FOOLS" at some point near the beginning indicated that it was for real a one-shot gimmick meant to troll the audience. Then I just had it on in the background.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GunnerJ posted:

I pretty much hoped that the fact that it said "APRIL FOOLS" at some point near the beginning indicated that it was for real a one-shot gimmick meant to troll the audience. Then I just had it on in the background.

Also the "none of this is canon" bit :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Also the "none of this is canon" bit :v:

I think that was one of two parts I laughed at. But I mean, that doesn't mean it couldn't be a recurring thing. Like the awful monkeycheese space adventure chapters of Gunnerkrigg (yeah I went there, fight me).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GunnerJ posted:

I think that was one of two parts I laughed at. But I mean, that doesn't mean it couldn't be a recurring thing. Like the awful monkeycheese space adventure chapters of Gunnerkrigg (yeah I went there, fight me).

Woah, okay, you just went too far man.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
From the happiest place on earth

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GunnerJ posted:

Holy poo poo I never even considered that.

Name me one piece of art in existence that wouldn't be improved with a :krad: 80's rock/metal wizard. You can't.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomFerret posted:

My favourite subtle clue is just in the background throughout one of the episodes. The gems are building ikea furniture, and you get little glimpses of their progress. In the last scene Garnet has a finished stool and Pearl and Amethyst each have the parts of half a stool and they aren't speaking to each other.

First viewing I thought it was just a reference to how badly those two work together, but if you pay attention at the beginning there were three boxes, and Garnet's is taller than the one on the instructions.

She took two little stools and put them together to make one big one.

I wish I had actively stuck with this show from the beginning (or near it; I originally started watching pretty early) because I called Garnet being a fusion immediately after Giant Woman, based on her having two gems and her room having the two lights rather than one (and one of them being blue) on the star door thing. People here told me I was crazy and wrong. Later I wound up setting the show aside because I just stopped watching TV for a while, before we even got things like Alexandrite and the other hints that got other people coming around on the idea, so I missed the actual reveal and found out a month or so later that I was right.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 6, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MrSlam posted:

From the happiest place on earth

I also had a dream about SU once. All the gems on earth along with Steven, Connie, and Greg all fused together into a single enormous being called "Solar Quartz", who was so powerful it's mere existence shattered the barrier keeping God from unleashing his army of angels upon the earth. Then my dream took a weird turn where I was trying to put together a film production to make a movie in the post-Angelic apocalypse starring Steve Buschemi.

I had eaten a lot of weird stuff the night before.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I also had a dream about SU once. All the gems on earth along with Steven, Connie, and Greg all fused together into a single enormous being called "Solar Quartz", who was so powerful it's mere existence shattered the barrier keeping God from unleashing his army of angels upon the earth. Then my dream took a weird turn where I was trying to put together a film production to make a movie in the post-Angelic apocalypse starring Steve Buschemi.

I had eaten a lot of weird stuff the night before.

This...also requires artistic visualization. :stare:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Combed Thunderclap posted:

This...also requires artistic visualization. :stare:

If I remember the dream right there were a lot of reasons why Solar Quartz's power broke the seal keeping an angry, vengeful God from destroying the earth, but visually it was just too tall and it's head crashed into one of those magical, glowing pentagram circles you see in animes that was just floating in the upper atmosphere and it broke.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Who What Now posted:

Given the totally sick artwork we've seen Greg produce, the lack of a kickass wizard on his van is now SU's greatest mystery IMO.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I think it's sad that a lot of SU fans hate "Say Uncle" to the point where they won't even watch the episode.

It's like you have animators from two different shows getting the chance to make something fun and silly together, and then these so-called fans just completely write it off as "dumb meaningless garbage, not even gonna look at it!" :hurr:

As someone who is (or at least imagines themselves as) a creative, I find it absolutely disheartening when I put my soul into something that I worked hard on just to entertain others, even it's just a light-hearted funny thing, only for them to lash out to the point where it feels like they're going out of their way to tell others to ignore it. It's incredibly grating when these people also preach open-mindedness and unconditional love and then just completely turn on you when it the thing you made isn't their cup of tea. :(

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

metalloid posted:

with the new viewer and everything, i gotta ask, what episode convinced you to stick with the show?

"gem glow" underwhelmed for me, but the sequence in "laser light cannon" where steven sings along to Greg's song convinced me to stick for another 10 episodes. Then episode 12 was "Giant Woman", and that entire episode is amazing. the song, the fight, everything.

so for me it's "Giant Woman"

First ones I was shown by a friend was "Together Breakfast/Frybo" and I was hooked. I loved it but I was watching it on-and-off until about Maximum Capacity. From that point on I've tried to catch them as soon as they've aired.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Harold Krell posted:

I think it's sad that a lot of SU fans hate "Say Uncle" to the point where they won't even watch the episode.

It's like you have animators from two different shows getting the chance to make something fun and silly together, and then these so-called fans just completely write it off as "dumb meaningless garbage, not even gonna look at it!" :hurr:

As someone who is (or at least imagines themselves as) a creative, I find it absolutely disheartening when I put my soul into something that I worked hard on just to entertain others, even it's just a light-hearted funny thing, only for them to lash out to the point where it feels like they're going out of their way to tell others to ignore it. It's incredibly grating when these people also preach open-mindedness and unconditional love and then just completely turn on you when it the thing you made isn't their cup of tea. :(

I think it's silly that they do that especially when the episode goes out of its way from the beginning to make the point that "hey this episode is just for fun", from having Uncle Grandpa say outright that it's not canon, to spelling out April Fool's in the sky.

But hey, a lot of those people are the same folks who will skip solid gold episodes like Tiger Millionaire if they don't have DEEP LORE so whatever.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Harold Krell posted:

I watched it and I still hated it.

Maybe not watching something for fear of lessening another thing you do like is ok and maybe you're a judgemental fucker, ever think of that?

Idiot bitch

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Loss transcends many things (including age)

Just move past it, and heal

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you couldn't find anything to like in Say Uncle then you're probably watching cartoons wrong.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I kinda felt like Say Uncle was a professional Youtube Poop made for TV.

I mean, I like ytps, but I can see why other people wouldn't.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've watched Say Uncle multiple times. There are a couple of good gags but it's mostly pointless drivel, I would not be sad if it never existed and most people who go out of their way to not watch it probably wouldn't like it anyway.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

WarpedNaba posted:

I kinda felt like Say Uncle was a professional Youtube Poop made for TV.

I mean, I like ytps, but I can see why other people wouldn't.

say uncle was 10 minutes of cartoon shitposting, which is why it stuns me that people who post on this forum would ever not enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I liked Say Uncle well enough (More than I liked, say, Gem Glow) but I hope if they do it again they make it even more Youtube Poopy. The middle section of it where they warp to Uncleverse was a slight drag.