Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
which is completely irrelevant as there is a strong precedent for banning players who make contact with the face without gouging

poo poo, new page. Stuart Lancaster has found himself a job for the year, as a 'senior coach' at Leinster. Seems he's being lined up to replace Cullen without having to sack Cullen much like they did with Rassie Erasmus and Anthony Foley at Munster

tag youre fat fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

There was no intent AND he didn't actually eye gouge him so I can't even believe this is being talked about.

If you want to ban him for recklessness then I guess I could understand it but it sets a pretty crazy precedent.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Ewar Woowar posted:

If you want to ban him for recklessness then I guess I could understand it but it sets a pretty crazy precedent.

Yeah - it could spell the end of fending if you want to take that route.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Given that they want to encourage players to not go anywhere near the neck and head area of another player in a maul or ruck, they could bang him for reckless play and be fine. It's not like they haven't in the past.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

There was no intent AND he didn't actually eye gouge him so I can't even believe this is being talked about.

Banning for recklessness is EXACTLY what they do though, in the case of taking players out in the air etc.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'm pretty sure the laws don't require intent even for the entry level offence. It's basically, if your fingers are in the eye area, take 12 weeks to think about it.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
It was a trivial offense, no eyes were gouged, brief incidental contact was made causing no damage and the hand was quickly removed. A 0 or 1 week thing and they decided on 0 whoopdy doo big deal nobody was harmed and no All Black favouring conspiracy occurred. Time to move on with life.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Aramoro posted:

Banning for recklessness is EXACTLY what they do though, in the case of taking players out in the air etc.

There is a huge difference between incidental contact with the face in the hurlyburly of a ruck/maul and taking out a player while they're still in the air in open play though, and since precedents were mentioned earlier, I'll once again bring up that Eben Etzebeth was let off after allegedly eye-gouging Greig Laidlaw in a test match a few years ago, with any contact between his fingers and Laidlaw's eye-area being judged entirely accidental and unintentional.

And one last Bledisloe stat:

Prior to their record 5-year possession of the Bledisloe Cup from 1998 to 2002, the Wallabies had only successfully defended it once - they won it in a one-off test in 1979 and won the 1980 three-test series 2-1. They lost it in the next test series, in 1982 in a 3-0 whitewash. All other occasions where the Wallabies won the cup, the All Blacks would take it back off of them at the next available opportunity.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Gatland is the Lions coach. What are the odds on NZ winning each game by more than 30?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

Gatland is the Lions coach. What are the odds on NZ winning each game by more than 30?

Given that the Lions will mostly be the Welsh team with Gatland in charge, I'm trying to figure out which of the provincial teams they might have a chance of not losing by 30 to.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, I reckon he'll top out at no more than 15 Welsh in the squad.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

goatface posted:

Nah, I reckon he'll top out at no more than 15 Welsh in the squad.

I can't see any scenario where Biggar and Webb aren't the half-backs.

The competition for #15 is absolutely insane, though. Do you start Hogg at Full-back, and play Halfpenny and Brown as the wingers? It's crazy that a Lions team could have no choice but omit two of the best three players in the northern hemisphere, because all three happen to play the same position.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You follow the genius "Farrell" strategy and just put everyone at centre.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, when our coaches can't choose between 2 fullbacks, they just chuck one of them on to the wing.

Vaders Jester posted:

Given that the Lions will mostly be the Welsh team with Gatland in charge, I'm trying to figure out which of the provincial teams they might have a chance of not losing by 30 to.

I think it was the Blues, Crusaders and Highlanders that the Lions will be facing at full strength, and there's very much a possibility that the NZRU will request that Hansen releases all Maori All Blacks-eligible players to that team as well. In 2005, when Graham Henry was selecting his first test squad for the warm-up test against Fiji, he was asked not to pick any Maori players, so that the New Zealand Maori coaches could pick what is probably the best such team ever assembled. That team featured the likes of Carl Hayman, Marty Holah, Jono Gibbes, Greg Feek, Luke McAlister, Leon MacDonald, Piri Weepu and Carlos Spencer. As a statistical curiosity, Riki Flutey, who would earn a Lions test cap 4 years later, was also in the squad although he did not appear in the game - although he did play against the Lions for Wellington later on in the tour.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 7, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So in fun news, my grad student rugby club had its first practice of the fall season yesterday, and one of our new players is this guy:

i.e. the Uruguay hooker from the 2015 RWC who scored a try in their game against Fiji. He's a really cool guy who speaks excellent English, including some choice words for the England team against whom they played the dead rubber game.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Tyma posted:

Do you start Hogg at Full-back

yes

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

So in fun news, my grad student rugby club had its first practice of the fall season yesterday, and one of our new players is this guy:

i.e. the Uruguay hooker from the 2015 RWC who scored a try in their game against Fiji. He's a really cool guy who speaks excellent English, including some choice words for the England team against whom they played the dead rubber game.

Is he also the best prop, wing, centre, openside, blindside, 8, and non jumping lock (it's an Australian thing) in the team? :)

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

I can't see any scenario where Biggar and Webb aren't the half-backs.

The competition for #15 is absolutely insane, though. Do you start Hogg at Full-back, and play Halfpenny and Brown as the wingers? It's crazy that a Lions team could have no choice but omit two of the best three players in the northern hemisphere, because all three happen to play the same position.

At the moment Hogg probably tips it but depends on how well he plays the 6N and the rest of the season. Brown is having concussion troubles atm and he's really easily wound up so might be a liability on the pitch which could keep him out if he doesn't recover/sort out his anger issues.

Halfpenny on the wing might work but probably more likely see Hogg there if they decide to take both players.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Unimpressed posted:

Is he also the best prop, wing, centre, openside, blindside, 8, and non jumping lock (it's an Australian thing) in the team? :)

I bet he would play five eighth if he could kick, too :haw:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Unimpressed posted:

Hard to say, as we've only had one practice. He can run a good line, though, if this is anything to go on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOwMUAnB_pY&t=30s

He's also shorter than me, and I'm average height for a scrumhalf at 5'8 so I'm not sure about the locking prospects there...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Hard to say, as we've only had one practice. He can run a good line, though, if this is anything to go on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOwMUAnB_pY&t=30s

He's also shorter than me, and I'm average height for a scrumhalf at 5'8 so I'm not sure about the locking prospects there...

I did say non jumping lock (a term used by cynical Wallabies fans after the introduction of Will Skelton) :)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Vagabundo posted:

Adriaan Strauss is retiring from test rugby at the end of the 2016 international season. No idea who would replace him as captain next year.

From a page ago, but being one of the few posters who cares about the Boks I would say give it to Whitely, but I doubt that will happen.
Speaking of Boks, I love how Coetzee's coaching and strategy seem to be to largely ignore the running game that made the Lions one of the best teams and gone with the tried and true kick away position and pray that the other team fumbles the ball.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Madkal posted:

From a page ago, but being one of the few posters who cares about the Boks I would say give it to Whitely, but I doubt that will happen.
Speaking of Boks, I love how Coetzee's coaching and strategy seem to be to largely ignore the running game that made the Lions one of the best teams and gone with the tried and true kick away position and pray that the other team fumbles the ball.

Barring any injury, it's hard to see past Whitely or Louw, to be honest.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Whitely seems like a really cool guy. He always has a huge grin on his face before every game - which, given that he's captained the Lions for a while now, is quite an achievement - and I don't think I've seen him get into any scraps with opposition players.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Just asked a trivia. Player catches in the goal area and is then late tackled. Whats the reaction?
1. Penalty Kick anywhere on the 22
2. Penalty Kick on the 5m
3. A drop out
4. Penalty Kick at the centre of the 22
5. Player warned
6. Player Yellow card
7. Player Sent off

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Depends which team made the late tackle.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Unimpressed posted:

Depends which team made the late tackle.

Sorry its a cheap shot by the attacking team. My guess is a Penalty Kick on the 22 and then a yellow or red depending on the severity of the hit.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

Just asked a trivia. Player catches in the goal area and is then late tackled. Whats the reaction?
1. Penalty Kick anywhere on the 22
2. Penalty Kick on the 5m
3. A drop out
4. Penalty Kick at the centre of the 22
5. Player warned
6. Player Yellow card
7. Player Sent off

Foul pay, should be a penalty kick from the 5m plus depending on various factors, any of 5, 6 or 7.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Can you call for a mark in your in goal?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

butros posted:

Can you call for a mark in your in goal?

Yeah, but instead of a kick from the 22, the kick is taken 5m from the try-line.

It's quite rarely seen, so I did have to look it up to make sure.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Presumably the player who caught it touched it down, yes?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
My initial reaction was penalty on the 22, I vaguely recall seeing a penalty on the 22 given for a player being taken out in the air inside the goal area but maybe I'm misremembering it?

E: V V That does make sense, foul play inside the in goal area is one of those weird ones that rarely happens but a restart at the 5 does seem most logical

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 10, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

My initial reaction was penalty on the 22, I vaguely recall seeing a penalty on the 22 given for a player being taken out in the air inside the goal area but maybe I'm misremembering it?

The in-goal area has to be treated like any other part of the pitch where the ball would be in play, but when there is a penalty, the team with possession is awarded the kick/scrum at the place where play would have restarted, which is usually the 5m line.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, but instead of a kick from the 22, the kick is taken 5m from the try-line.

It's quite rarely seen, so I did have to look it up to make sure.

Thanks. I've been wondering for years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Probably a mad dream, but go Argentina!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Holy poo poo Argies are here to play....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loving this game, hope Argentina can keep it up and the score doesn't get blown out in the last 20 minutes

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Trying to follow this at work, looks like a great game

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Loving this game, hope Argentina can keep it up and the score doesn't get blown out in the last 20 minutes

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

slothrop posted:

Trying to follow this at work, looks like a great game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVk1U92-xnU