Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RedHotKick posted:

I really like Lost Worlds aesthetic even if it is cribbing entirely off Mario. I don't think I prefer it to Unleashed though, those levels were absolutely gorgeous and I want a return to that, which might be happening with 2017?

I agree, and more importantly, the Lost World aesthetic would let them make massive 3D levels with a lot less effort than the over-detailed Unleashed Day art style, which has always been a major issue for them. They should stick to it just so they can make expansive runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

MikeJF posted:

I agree, and more importantly, the Lost World aesthetic would let them make massive 3D levels with a lot less effort than the over-detailed Unleashed Day art style, which has always been a major issue for them. They should stick to it just so they can make expansive runs.

Yeah, a simplified art style would help speed up development and fit well with the characters.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the environments in generations, colors, and unleashed are all so gorgeous

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Generations is so, so nice looking yeah.

I wouldn't mind playing a 3d Sonic as per Generations or Unleashed in Lost World's environments though. It's actually a very nice looking game, at least on PC.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RedHotKick posted:

I really like Lost Worlds aesthetic even if it is cribbing entirely off Mario.

one of my first thoughts upon playing mario galaxy (especially during a yoshi level) was man this is how they should've moved into 3d for sonic.

Dabir posted:

Those goalposts aren't too heavy, are they?

and just to explain how that aint goal post moving - it's like how the new doom is a good game but it's certainly not a good doom game. it plays pretty much nothing like the original dooms (and certainly lacks the same aesthetic) which doesn't make it a bad game but isn't what someone who wants an update to doom/doom 2 is looking for.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

and just to explain how that aint goal post moving - it's like how the new doom is a good game but it's certainly not a good doom game. it plays pretty much nothing like the original dooms (and certainly lacks the same aesthetic) which doesn't make it a bad game but isn't what someone who wants an update to doom/doom 2 is looking for.

aaaaand you lost me

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The 2D games are an evolutionary dead end and I don't really care if the 3D games do or don't feel "authentic" as long as they're good.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Sonic Generations is a great F-Zero game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The 2D games are an evolutionary dead end and I don't really care if the 3D games do or don't feel "authentic" as long as they're good.

You lost me too.
Someone in this thread had better start making sense and soon!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
No matter what the new Sonic Project ends up being, I hope it brings back Chao Garden (it won't, but I can dream)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Ah, the infamous "no true Sonic" fallacy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Augus posted:

You lost me too.
Someone in this thread had better start making sense and soon!

2D Sonic is fine but it's never going to get that one new game that transforms it into a wholly better experience the way Mario did from SMB to SMB3, for instance. "Classic" 2D Sonic has already given us everything it has to give.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If a sonic game is 3D it will be garbage without Chao hope this helps Sega!

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
i think 3d sonic games are garbage even with chao

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Shindragon posted:

Not to hijack the thread a little, I noticed they haven't done much. What happen?

somebody set us up the bomb :cawg:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Classic" 2D Sonic has already given us everything it has to give.

So someone isn't feeling the sonic mania, I take it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's kinda silly to say that Sonic 2, CD, and 3+Knuckles can't be improved upon two decades later. They absolutely can.

And getting something a bit on the safe side feels a lot better to me right now than waiting for SEGA to push the boundaries of 3D Sonic at a loving snail's pace. Generations came out 5 years ago and we've pretty much gone nowhere. Waiting for that big transformative experience that finally makes 3D Sonic good is getting pretty tiring.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Sonic Generations is a great F-Zero game.

The best 3D Sonic game I've ever played is Trackmania.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

This made me irrationally angry the first time I saw it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

In Sonic Mania, has it been confirmed whether the villain will be referred to as Robotnik or Eggman? This is very important.

They have been fused into a single being...called Eggrobo.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I want playable Big the Cat DLC for Sonic Mania

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

El Mido posted:

i think 3d sonic games are garbage even with chao

hah but that would mean you don't think SA2 battle is the great, i don't understand.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Augus posted:

aaaaand you lost me

it plays nothing like a doom game (except for being an fps). it's a bunch of arena battles where the enemies drop pick ups.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you want a game that plays exactly like Doom 2 you are more than catered to by the still thriving wad screen.

The new Doom invoked enough of the original's speed and non-reliance on hitscan bullshit to be the best single player fps of this decade.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it plays nothing like a doom game (except for being an fps). it's a bunch of arena battles where the enemies drop pick ups.

Yeah, it really needed some awful Sandy Peterson maps to make it super pro good.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Just watched this Polygon demo of Sonic Mania and it looks like Sonic 3's giant rings are back. Or something. The person playing dicked around and looked for secrets, when they pushed a rock in Green Hill they fell into a chamber with a giant wireframe ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEfKC4sxTG8

It's not clear whether it's like that because it's deactivated for the demo build or because they didn't have 50 rings or something. I hope this is the emerald method, I prefer it to the "have 50 rings and hit checkpoint/finish stage" one.

E: They found one in Studiopolis too with over 50 rings and it was still wireframe so it was probably deactivated for the demo build, or there's some other esoteric criterion.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 7, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dabir posted:

Vector!

This. Vector looks so good in Chaotix, more lithe and bouncy then in Heroes, where he just looks kind of boxy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Phillby posted:

The new Doom invoked enough of the original's speed and non-reliance on hitscan bullshit to be the best single player fps of this decade.

wolfenstein was better but yeah it's probably second best.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Elfgames posted:

hah but that would mean you don't think SA2 battle is the great, i don't understand.

lol if you play 3d sonic after the credits.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

You're silly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox posted:

DREGG MAN

or

Botnikker Robowanger

The choice is clear. VOTE November 7

A joke so nice, I get to use it in both the mega man and sonic threads.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Discendo Vox posted:

A joke so nice, I get to use it in both the mega man and sonic threads.

I don't get it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

elf help book posted:

I don't get it.

That's the fun part- I apparently massively miscalculated and it requires much too much obscure knowledge of both franchises, so it doesn't work for either audience! :smith:

Megaman has its own lengthy history of conflict over the names of characters. Names in the classic series were all styled "Thing Man". The X series started getting weird, starting with a convention of "Thing" + "Animal name". This hit its peak with a game where the translators renamed all the bosses to be references to Guns'n'Roses. Independently, Mega Man X1 had a boss named "Boomer Kuwanger" who is actually some sort of beetle, a fact that confused everyone back in the day-weird translation again. What kind of animal is a "Kuwanger"? Later series, like the one from which the robot in the image come from, are more and more incomprehensible.The robot pictured spits and creates eggs as its attacks. Its actual name is "Popla Cocapetri", which sounds like a kind of food-borne illness.

Also it let me write "robowang".

I guess what I'm saying is however bad sonic fans have it, don't forget what Mega Man fans deal with.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 7, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

at least we can stand in solidarity at having to put up with your posting

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dabir posted:

at least we can stand in solidarity at having to put up with your posting

There, too, count your blessings- I have 5 pages of posts in the mega man thread.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Every post I make is sonic related

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Every post I make is sonic related

After analyzing your entire post history, I conclude this is a true fact.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jsor posted:

It's not clear whether it's like that because it's deactivated for the demo build or because they didn't have 50 rings or something. I hope this is the emerald method, I prefer it to the "have 50 rings and hit checkpoint/finish stage" one.
I hope so too, since it's the best system for getting you to replay levels.

But I basically like everything sonic 3 changed from sonic 2 so I'm biased

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One thing I like about sonic 3 were the sheer amount of special stages in s3&k.

Was the only other 2D sanic to have non-chaos emerald/ring special stages just for lives/funsies Knuckles' Chaotix??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I know this is heresy but I'd be okay with lives being in Sonic Mania if it has unique special stages just for rings & lives :shobon: