Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Here is an oddly long trailer for Nic Cage in USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDPE-NronKk

I feel like I just watched the entire movie now. Also $5 says the sailor who proposes to his girl then sets off for war is the first one to be eaten by a shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I just re-read 52. The dude in charge is correct.

He didn't care about it be written well or not.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Trumbo really isn't that bad and anyone who says otherwise is badly spoilt with quality films

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mediocre is worse than bad because bad is at least interesting.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
a lot of bad stuff sounds interesting when you hear about it as a blurb on the internet but in reality it just sucks rear end like jupiter ascending

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ALFbrot posted:

The special effects are definitely looking good

Sky Captain sequel lookin good

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

It was funny when people complained about the Nyqvist and Cruise fight in that movie when they're pretty much the same age.
And Reeves is only about 3 years younger than Nyqvist.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

davidspackage posted:

Comic books are loving stupid/awesome.

I browsed one the other day and on a page Hitler was possessed by Mars, the god of war, and some american guy beat Hitler up so bad it cured the possession, then Hitler signed a peace treaty and said America was an ally now. Mars flew off into space to return another day.

Woah now, Jupiter Ascending was pretty baller. It needed about 20 minutes cut or added though. Gods of Egypt is great though, for a similar movie.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

effectual posted:

I browsed one the other day and on a page Hitler was possessed by Mars, the god of war, and some american guy beat Hitler up so bad it cured the possession, then Hitler signed a peace treaty and said America was an ally now. Mars flew off into space to return another day.

Woah now, Jupiter Ascending was pretty baller. It needed about 20 minutes cut or added though. Gods of Egypt is great though, for a similar movie.

Jupiter Ascending would've been so much better if they hadn't pretended to be so serious the whole time

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Parachute posted:

a lot of bad stuff sounds interesting when you hear about it as a blurb on the internet but in reality it just sucks rear end like jupiter ascending

I don't think you and I are gonna be pals. :colbert: That was one of the best times at the theater I've ever had.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Jupiter Ascending would've been so much better if they hadn't pretended to be so serious the whole time

Are you kidding? That's what made it great! It was the pulpiest schlock I've ever seen and the fact that it was presented completely straight just made everything better. My audience was great too; there was this woman in front of me who gasped every time there was a dramatic moment or plot twist, and that just made everything so, so much better.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

resurgam40 posted:

Tim Brayton of Antagony and Ecstasy reviewed Trumbo a while ago, and one of his descriptions of a certain scene made me laugh and laugh and laugh:

The poster for Trumbo was really funny to me because due to how wonky the colors and fonts were it looked like the tagline was "ARE YOU NOW OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TRUMBO" which is wonderfully nonsensical.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I never saw Trumbo but it's good to know the director of Austin Powers is getting work.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FishBulb posted:

I never saw Trumbo but it's good to know the director of Austin Powers is getting work.

He went on a political bent for a while. Three of his four movies before Trumbo were The Campaign, and Recount and Game Change for HBO.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shia Labeouf posted:

[Michael Bay] is an artist. People don't realize how dope that dude is. He's got to get a little ballsier with his moves. He's trying to toe the line and be James Cameron, but James Camerons are dying. I don't know what he's chasing, but that version of director is dead. If Mike is to sustain, he's got to get loving weird.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm running out of Even Stevens money please cast me again.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

He's not wrong.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, he's not wrong, the problem with both Age of Extinction and 13 Hours is that they definitely weren't weird enough. (And Age of Extinction was fuckin' bizarre, too - but it was no Bad Boys II.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Shia owns.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spatula City posted:

I saw the original Swedish movie, and disliked it. oooh, the big twist is a family tradition of Nazi murderers, so novel! This was definitely worth all the time, and the uncomfortable scenes of a tubby journalist and a goth girl gettin' it on.

This scene from Roy Anderson's You, the Living does a much better job of pointing out the crypto-fascism of the Swedish bourgeoisie than the entire Millennium trilogy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43R1k8vHCh0

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yeah, I kind of like him. The distaste for celebs who wear their hearts on their sleeves instead of putting up a big public face (Shia, Kanye, etc) is kinda odd to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, I kind of like him. The distaste for celebs who wear their hearts on their sleeves instead of putting up a big public face (Shia, Kanye, etc) is kinda odd to me.

They're both pretty BPD-ish dudes so I can see why people are made viscerally uncomfortable by them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They're both pretty BPD-ish dudes so I can see why people are made viscerally uncomfortable by them.

I mean, I think everyone has moments where they do "BPD-ish" things, though? The main difference with celebs like Shia and Kanye has always seemed to me that they're upfront about those moments, rather than hiding their weirdness behind a wall of publicists and press releases.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
For a second I read that as "BDP-ish," and was wondering what Boogie Down Productions had to do with this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I think everyone has moments where they do "BPD-ish" things, though? The main difference with celebs like Shia and Kanye has always seemed to me that they're upfront about those moments, rather than hiding their weirdness behind a wall of publicists and press releases.

Well yeah, that's the point of PR. Shia and Kanye are just out, and that bothers people.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I think everyone has moments where they do "BPD-ish" things, though?

...no...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well what you see is the genuine article, and the genuine article is an egotistical turd.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The thing is that most people who make it in the creative industry tend to be borderline or narcissistic personalities. Like you mention later...

Well yeah, that's the point of PR. Shia and Kanye are just out, and that bothers people.

... and we've see what happens when a long-time star's problems get too big for the PR to handle, like Johnny Depp and Amber Heard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Or another prominent example, Taylor Swift, who is apparently this total control freak moonbat who does very well trading on a light as a feather image. She does the requisite driven modern woman image as well but she's no Streisand or Liz Taylor or whomever. Not to pick on her, but she's a very handy example.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's BPD?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Borderline personality disorder.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There are like only 5 or so celebrities (not including the rapists or murderers) I can muster a dislike for and even then it's never hatred. People are people in and out of the spotlight.

We should all join hands and love one another except for Jared Leto, we can and we must relentlessly mock him.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I like Jared Leto because of that fashion show image macro

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I will be honest and say that was pretty endearing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

I like Jared Leto because of that fashion show image macro

He lives the life of the truly swagged out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Leto was actually the other one I was thinking of aside from Shia and Kanye. He's a weirdo, but he strikes me as being pretty sincerely weird in a Crispin Glover-y way.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I don't like Kanye because I hate to see a grown man throw a tantrum. It's really that simple for me, and I'm not arguing it should be the metric we all judge people by, but it's the absolute quickest way to lose my respect.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Slugworth posted:

I don't like Kanye because I hate to see a grown man throw a tantrum. It's really that simple for me, and I'm not arguing it should be the metric we all judge people by, but it's the absolute quickest way to lose my respect.

Your respect is meaningless.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

mr. stefan posted:

not as meaningless as ur posting

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

mr. stefan posted:

Well sure, to everyone else, and especially Kanye West. But I'm pretty fond of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Leto was actually the other one I was thinking of aside from Shia and Kanye. He's a weirdo, but he strikes me as being pretty sincerely weird in a Crispin Glover-y way.

I've heard that he's into sleeping with underage fans, which has no genuine proof but I believe because of course he is.

• Locked thread