Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I've been getting texts all morning from ITT employees that are still there that just got their papers. lol if they didn't see this coming a mile away, I did and got the gently caress out. what a poo poo company, good riddance. It's unfortunate that the taxpayers will have to bear the brunt of the federal debt forgiveness program that is surely coming for former ITT students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

When did ITT become a 'bad' school? I mean, it was never a good one, but it's been in business for half a century. As much as everyone hates for-profit education, the very nature of their business model means there has to be some value to the degrees. It's the quality/convenience/cost model where you can only pick 2. But you still get 2 out of 3.

Did all that sweet government backed debt make them toss their already suspect standards in an attempt to maximize student rolls?

It's not like public universities haven't been doing the same thing either. The whole idea of a giant state college is to cram as many kids into lecture rooms as possible to get that sweet sweet loan money.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Kareem posted:

the very nature of their business model means there has to be some value to the degrees.

Haha what? No. Worthless things sell just fine with the right marketing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

monster on a stick posted:

It's not like public universities haven't been doing the same thing either. The whole idea of a giant state college is to cram as many kids into lecture rooms as possible to get that sweet sweet loan money.

My Freshman eng101 class had about 375 people in it. That was in 1992.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

When did ITT become a 'bad' school? I mean, it was never a good one, but it's been in business for half a century. As much as everyone hates for-profit education, the very nature of their business model means there has to be some value to the degrees.

It's typically for jobs that would have hired people with no degree. Meaning they train you on the job. Making ITT Tech useless.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Good riddance, I hope the rest of the for-profit schools die right off. DeVry, ECPI, University of Phoenix, all of them crap. My company hired a few guys from one of these some time back and they are just dumb as a sack of potatos - not long after one of them got banned for life from a job site we stopped accepting applications from any candidate with those qualifications.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The point of most public universities is usually research first, education secondary. I'd be suspect of anyone claiming that public universities are just a scam to suck up that sweet loan money. Don't be so cynical.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

Don't be so cynical.

I'm sorry, I thought this was the "Companies that are circling the drain" thread on Something Awful.

Apr 7, 2003

Yeah, and that's cause for celebration. gently caress ITT and Sears forever.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Maybe these edu-businesses need a massive football program backed by a pedo-defending fan-base to make them legit?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

hm yes I wonder who is more likely to abuse things: a not-for-profit pubic university, or a for-profit private business with a CEO that makes tens of millions per year at a company that literally has a stock symbol on the NYSE

hm yes indeed *beep boop* everything's black and white, Johnson 2016

Apr 7, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Maybe these edu-businesses need a massive football program backed by a pedo-defending fan-base to make them legit?

PSU isn't a public university, and should be lit on fire.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

cuck cuck im gay posted:

hm yes I wonder who is more likely to abuse things: a not-for-profit pubic university, or a for-profit private business with a CEO that makes tens of millions per year at a company that literally has a stock symbol on the NYSE

Yes because college football coaches at public universities don't make millions per year.

Oh wait, yes they do.

Citizen Tayne posted:

PSU isn't a public university, and should be lit on fire.

Penn State is a public university :confused:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nonsense posted:

The stadium where the Arizona Cardinals play is named the "University of Phoenix Stadium."

I refuse to call it by the sponsor's name, and to me it's just "the stadium where the Cardinals play".

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Kareem posted:

Kansas hasn't been cutting it's education budgets long enough for companies to see stupider workers. But yeah, tax cuts will only get you so far.

Some industries live and die by tax breaks. Studios look for excuses to film in Georgia because of it's tax credits, but they also import their most highly trained workers. That's not going to work for most businesses.

Also Kansas was hosed regardless. Kansas with cheap taxes and MadMax infrastructure actually sounds better than Kanas with normal taxes and regular infrastructure. At least one is a little more exciting.

I can't find the article now because the news is just flooded with articles about some shooting in a factory there... maybe it wasn't Kansas. It was def a Southern state losing a fat factory deal because the workers were just too uneducated though.

Idk but the skill gap is coming from somewhere.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yes because college football coaches at public universities don't make millions per year.

Oh wait, yes they do.

But the difference is the graduation and job placement rates in the end. If that school also had a graduation rate of near 0% and a job placement rate that was similarly poo poo then maybe the comparison would hold.

But yeah typically the highest paid state employee in most states is some college football coach. Kinda hosed up I agree.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm guessing that was the email sent to the AP when everyone showed up to locked doors this morning?

The news notice I got on my phone this morning said they blamed the Obama administration, so you're not far off.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

But the difference is the graduation and job placement rates in the end. If that school also had a graduation rate of near 0% and a job placement rate that was similarly poo poo then maybe the comparison would hold.

But yeah typically the highest paid state employee in most states is some college football coach. Kinda hosed up I agree.

Nick Saban could probably run for governor of Alabama.

Apr 7, 2003

PSU (and Pitt) have some kind of a bizarre arrangement with the state where they sit on granted land and are given a small amount of money by the state, but operate as private universities and do not answer to the state in any way.

(They both also have tuition in excess of $33k a year for in-state students, making them the most expensive sorta-public universities in the US.)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I have a jastigar related confession- I actually don't mind Des Moines despite threatening him with violence. I live to close to Iowa to bust his balls too bad

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Moridin920 posted:

And those salaries are covered by boosters, ticket sales, licensing, and merchandise. Tax money isn't used to pay big time program coaches.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Citizen Tayne posted:

PSU (and Pitt) have some kind of a bizarre arrangement with the state where they sit on granted land and are given a small amount of money by the state, but operate as private universities and do not answer to the state in any way.

(They both also have tuition in excess of $33k a year for in-state students, making them the most expensive sorta-public universities in the US.)

Yeah, Penn has this really dumb commonwealth "State Related" university system for PSU, Pitt and Temple that is both a massive tax burden and a money funnel to a few wealthy backers. In a lot of ways it's the Lockheed of universities

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

When did ITT become a 'bad' school? I mean, it was never a good one, but it's been in business for half a century. As much as everyone hates for-profit education, the very nature of their business model means there has to be some value to the degrees. It's the quality/convenience/cost model where you can only pick 2. But you still get 2 out of 3.

Did all that sweet government backed debt make them toss their already suspect standards in an attempt to maximize student rolls?

Kansas hasn't been cutting it's education budgets long enough for companies to see stupider workers. But yeah, tax cuts will only get you so far.

Some industries live and die by tax breaks. Studios look for excuses to film in Georgia because of it's tax credits, but they also import their most highly trained workers. That's not going to work for most businesses.

Also Kansas was hosed regardless. Kansas with cheap taxes and MadMax infrastructure actually sounds better than Kanas with normal taxes and regular infrastructure. At least one is a little more exciting.

I was wondering why the gently caress they filmed Stranger Things in Georgia when there are plenty of lovely creepy small towns in Indiana to film in, but there is my answer

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pennsylvania is a shithole. Is the Joe Pa statue back yet?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Oh wait, yes they do.

you don't see the difference between a literal CEO of a school making millions and a football coach making millions?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Captain Yossarian posted:

I have a jastigar related confession- I actually don't mind Des Moines despite threatening him with violence. I live to close to Iowa to bust his balls too bad

Are you proud of where you live?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

an adult beverage posted:

And those salaries are covered by boosters, ticket sales, licensing, and merchandise. Tax money isn't used to pay big time program coaches.

Still seems kinda hosed to me considering the NCAA whines nonstop about how if they had to pay athletes even what the bookstore student employees get then the entire thing would swirl the drain because no one could afford it.

Like sorry but NCAA makes millions, coach makes millions, the athlete doing the work gets a bullshit humanities degree that in all likelihood is useless in the real world. And don't tell me the education is 'worth' $200k or something because the marginal costs to the school of an extra student are nowhere near that much.

plus

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article43622670.html

which is just some loving lol you can't even give them a real education you loving scamsters?

Moridin920 has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Sep 6, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

You mean a land-grant university? There are a bunch of those. Most are public. If you are going to claim Penn State is really a private university you are going to need a bit more proof than "land grant" otherwise Virginia Tech and Michigan State are private too.

And tuition is high but tuition is high for all the "public Ivys" now, Penn State's considered one of them. My alma mater is around $30K/year now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Kansas really is on some death spiral because they've destroyed their economy but they think they're actually fixing it and all the voters keep voting for more because all they really give a poo poo about is idiot religious issues like abortion and teaching creationism in schools.

Watch this documentary: https://vimeo.com/107525994 then realize it is from 2009 and poo poo has only gotten worse.

there's only like 2 redeeming people in that whole thing and one of them is just a fat farmer dude going 'i really dunno why people can't just live and let live all these religious folks have taken over and gotten rabid and nuts and my Kansas is gone :( '

IIRC this is the documentary that has the Republicans lose some sort of election and some college student is sputtering about how the Democrats are better at riling up their base and getting them to the voting booths haha

Moridin920 posted:

I can't find the article now because the news is just flooded with articles about some shooting in a factory there... maybe it wasn't Kansas. It was def a Southern state losing a fat factory deal because the workers were just too uneducated though.

Idk but the skill gap is coming from somewhere.

I vaguely remember it too, I'm pretty sure a Canadian province got the contract even though they were more expensive

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

fits my needs posted:

Are you proud of where you live?

Reasonably so, but I don't see myself making a thread about it lol

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Assistant football coaches at SEC schools with barely winning records can make over a million a year. The amount of money anyone makes in academia is not subject to logic. It's either shareholders or endowments. Both suck.

The biggest difference is probably their funding models. Universities have heavy fixed costs so they can only enroll so many students before poo poo becomes unprofitable. Distance learning can ramp up quicker and easier - but quality suffers and they set themselves up for a bad crash. Also for-profit schools have to constantly advertise because no one wants to go to Devry because their daddy went to Devry and his daddy before him. State schools don't have that problem. They can protect kiddie loving in their stadium and people will still climb over themselves for a chance to wear their gear and cheer in that venue.

Community college is the only pure academic institution left.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I was wondering why the gently caress they filmed Stranger Things in Georgia when there are plenty of lovely creepy small towns in Indiana to film in, but there is my answer

Also Georgia a diverse enough geography that it can emulate any area that's not desert or tundra. I'd normally include oceanfront too (Savannah is not a pretty beach) except the live action part of the Spongebob movie where they have a chase through a beach resort town was also filmed in Atlanta.

When they filmed Anchorman 2 here, the producers said the tax credits essentially made the film free to make. I'm not sure how that's possible, but hey - studio accounting.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Sep 6, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

an adult beverage posted:

Yeah I guess you're right, the "athletics fee" I paid in undergrad at a Pac 12 school must have been for something else

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Like sorry but NCAA makes millions, coach makes millions, the athlete doing the work gets a bullshit humanities degree that in all likelihood is useless in the real world.

The most common major for NCAA athletes is business. Can you leave your weird goony hate for "giiiirl classes" out of this?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
NCAA profits should go into a pool that then helps pay for the athletics programs and wages for schools that don't have Division 1 teams.

this is just nanners:

quote:

Rich departments such as Auburn have built lavish facilities, invented dozens of new administrative positions and bought new jets, while poorer departments such as Rutgers have taken millions in mandatory fees from students and siphoned money away from academic budgets to try to keep up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The most common major for NCAA athletes is business. Can you leave your weird goony hate for "giiiirl classes" out of this?

I have a humanities degree. My point is not that humanities is useless. My point is that they shove athletes into bullshit made up programs and give them fake booster classes that run up their GPA so the athlete can play and so they don't have to actually fulfill their obligation to give that student a good education while simultaneously not paying them anything.

The most common major being 'business' only strengthens that point, honestly. There's tons of news articles about schools getting caught full on fabricating grades and things, I'm not just talking out my butthole.

Apr 7, 2003

You mean a land-grant university? There are a bunch of those. Most are public. If you are going to claim Penn State is really a private university you are going to need a bit more proof than "land grant" otherwise Virginia Tech and Michigan State are private too.

And tuition is high but tuition is high for all the "public Ivys" now, Penn State's considered one of them. My alma mater is around $30K/year now.

Lol PSU isn't anything like an ivy. The entire purpose of PSU is to churn out graduates who spend their time telling everyone how great PSU is.

I grew up close to State College and PSU has an incredibly hosed up, insular culture.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Elite college athletes should be turned into paid employees of professional minor leagues for their sports. The college programs should shrink back to recreational size where nobody gets to make a million dollars.

Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

Pennsylvania is a shithole. Is the Joe Pa statue back yet?

The Paterno statue will be back up soon enough, and because the rest of the world has moved on no one will protest it. PSU and the community will use that as proof that they were right all along and that the child rape allegations were lies ginned up by jealous rivals who wanted to sink the football program.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

NCAA profits should go into a pool that then helps pay for the athletics programs and wages for schools that don't have Division 1 teams.

this is just nanners:

I guess if you live in places that are frozen poo poo holes for multiple months out of the year or are unbearably hot/humid swamps, it gives you a craving for some college footbaw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Citizen Tayne posted:

Lol PSU isn't anything like an ivy. The entire purpose of PSU is to churn out graduates who spend their time telling everyone how great PSU is.

I grew up close to State College and PSU has an incredibly hosed up, insular culture.

Calling PSU a "Public Ivy" is about the same as calling Univ. Maimi "The Harvard of the South" in all that it does it show how incredibly massive the person's inferiority complex really is.

I legit hope that some of these people are just confusing Penn State for University of Pennsylvania