Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
We just opened up submissions for Toronto Comics Volume 4, so if you're in that tiny intersection of goons, creators and Toronto, give us a shout at: http://tocomix.com/?page=volume_four_submissions.

We've got all our budget and project proposal stuff up at that link as well, which or may not be useful for folks planning their own anthologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a fat and stupid clown. it's simply horrendous how bad i am at everything. i died today because i kept swallowing when i intended to breathe. i'm posting this from the great beyond, a shameful ghost, as i watch my family line up to spit one by one on my tombstone

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my most beloved friends

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
let us marry our webcomics together and usher in a new age of harmony

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i press my webcomic perfectly flat between my heaving bosoms. it flutters sadly to the floor.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
no! this can't be happening. my dreams, ruined. my ambitions, ruined. i stand naked and bereft with my anus spread like a butterfly's wings. farts flow rapid and loud. i am a hurricane. i am the force of the changing seasons. i am a woman, a leper, a soldier... and a mother.

chorus: glory glory hallelujah / glory glory hallelujah / glory glory hallelujah / his truth is marching on

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Avshalom posted:

i'm a fat and stupid clown. it's simply horrendous how bad i am at everything. i died today because i kept swallowing when i intended to breathe. i'm posting this from the great beyond, a shameful ghost, as i watch my family line up to spit one by one on my tombstone

Avshalom posted:

my most beloved friends

Avshalom posted:

let us marry our webcomics together and usher in a new age of harmony

Avshalom posted:

i press my webcomic perfectly flat between my heaving bosoms. it flutters sadly to the floor.

Avshalom posted:

no! this can't be happening. my dreams, ruined. my ambitions, ruined. i stand naked and bereft with my anus spread like a butterfly's wings. farts flow rapid and loud. i am a hurricane. i am the force of the changing seasons. i am a woman, a leper, a soldier... and a mother.

chorus: glory glory hallelujah / glory glory hallelujah / glory glory hallelujah / his truth is marching on

Here's the script. Who's drawing it?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Squidster posted:

We just opened up submissions for Toronto Comics Volume 4, so if you're in that tiny intersection of goons, creators and Toronto, give us a shout at: http://tocomix.com/?page=volume_four_submissions.

We've got all our budget and project proposal stuff up at that link as well, which or may not be useful for folks planning their own anthologies.

Quick question for you regarding content submission guidelines: How tightly do submissions have to adhere to being set in Toronto?

I have an idea for two submissions I'd like to bring to the pitch meeting next week but one of them takes place in a fictionalized version of a Toronto landmark rather than being explicitly set in the city itself. Would that potentially still make it eligible for inclusion or would I be better off sticking to something that is explicitly rather than implicitly set in Toronto?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

KingKalamari posted:

Quick question for you regarding content submission guidelines: How tightly do submissions have to adhere to being set in Toronto?

I have an idea for two submissions I'd like to bring to the pitch meeting next week but one of them takes place in a fictionalized version of a Toronto landmark rather than being explicitly set in the city itself. Would that potentially still make it eligible for inclusion or would I be better off sticking to something that is explicitly rather than implicitly set in Toronto?
Hm, fictionalized version of a landmark sounds like it could work. In my Vol 3 story, we have a fantasy TO featuring the Curse Tower and the MurderDome, so you can definitely bend things quite a bit. You can send in up to 3 pitches, so you could always send in both!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I'm curious: What's a good DPI for a scanner?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I'm curious: What's a good DPI for a scanner?

Pretty much every flatbed scanner offers the same DPI. The important thing is what option you select which should be minimum 300 for book quality, ideally 600 for archiving IMO.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

al-azad posted:

Pretty much every flatbed scanner offers the same DPI. The important thing is what option you select which should be minimum 300 for book quality, ideally 600 for archiving IMO.

given most of the flatbed scanners I'm looking at (300 x 600 seems to be the lowest one I've seen and most are in the 1000's) I think I'll be safe in that regard no matter what I get

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Things haven't changed much in that area, generally speaking you'll probably want to work at 600 if your computer can manage it. I think anything higher is more used for digitizing photographs and negatives.

Anyone going to SPX? It's in a few weeks and I've got a slice of a table with a friend.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Even with a very high DPI, a big determinant of scan quality has to do with the CCD/optics of the scanner. My scanner can scan at a very high DPI, but it still blows out the higher value ranges.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

what are some good ink pens for comics? Should I get nib or fountain or brush? I'm looking for a least one that could get nice thick lines (along with the obvious thinner ones for thinner lines).

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

what are some good ink pens for comics? Should I get nib or fountain or brush? I'm looking for a least one that could get nice thick lines (along with the obvious thinner ones for thinner lines).

Everyone has their preferences but ideally you'd want multiple pens and/or nibs since usually a certain tool will be good for a certain kind of mark. Also people have all sorts of preferences as far as pens go, so everyone's best list is gonna be different.

Pentel Brush Pen -> This is a really good inking brush pen that's very easy to use. It's refillable so it drying out isn't a problem (though the cartridges are more expensive than just buying regular ink). http://www.pentel.com/store/pentel-pocket-brush-pen
It's probably one of the best all around brush pens. Only thing that consistently beats it is a sable brush like Winsor Pro Series 7 or a Raphael but those aren't cheap either. Not the worst investment though if you think you'll do a lot of inking. If you get a good sable and take care of it it should out last you.

Nibs, I've used crow quill nibs #102 which are the common standard used for comic book inking. They are decent, have a bit of a learning curve as all nib pens do but you can get a lot of good fine lines with this thing. The other nib that I like is the #512 http://www.jetpens.com/Speedball-Pen-Point-Nib-No.-512-Bowl-Pointed/pd/15142 which can get you thicker lines than the crow which is a bit more delicate. Don't buy a package of assorted nibs if you can help it, you'll end up only using one or two of them. Some art stores do sell individual nibs instead of the sets and you can stock up that way, or use amazon or whatever.

For regular pens, I like microns they work pretty good until they dry out. Also have used Faber-Castells and those are also decent. Though I imagine almost any art quality pen will probably do in a pinch unless you have a particular preference which you won't know until you try a bunch of pens out.

That's my preferences anyways.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Buy some pens and get drawing, everyone has their own preferences that fit to their style and the only way to find that out is to just draw tons and try new materials until you find some that are comfortable for you. You can buy sets of Faber-Castell or Pigma liner pens that have a variety of widths for thick and thin lines. If you're just starting out with drawing (I'm assuming this is the case because you don't know what kind of pens you want to buy), you will probably find real fountain pens incredibly difficult to draw with. I would say just buy a set of Pigmas and maybe a brush pen and start drawing until you figure it out on your own.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

You might really like the zebra pens you can get from jetpens.com.

If I were more of a physical ink kinda guy, I'd be using them a LOT.

Edit: But in general, yes. Just try -everything- until you get slightly good at all of them, and see what you like best.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 5, 2016

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

If you're on a budget regular old Sharpies work surprisingly well. The fat ones are great for filling in large black areas and the thin ones give you a nicely dark line at a thickness equal to a standard micron.

That aside nib pens are awesome and get my vote. Just be aware that they come with a somewhat brutal learning curve.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I use the Pilot Kakuno for fixed line and lettering. I've got a refillable cartridge I ripped from another fountain pen and use Noodler's black ink which is waterproof.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Standard fountain pens are perfectly fine to draw with. A cheap one has become my main physical art tool.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get a pentel pocket brush pen and some sakura microns

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I wrote/lettered a comic. It came out today on Comixology Submit for 99¢.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I found a fountain pen on the curb in a box and it has made drawing comics fun for the first time in as many years

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

FunkyAl posted:

I found a fountain pen on the curb in a box and it has made drawing comics fun for the first time in as many years

That's a good premise. A magical fountain pen that solves writer's / artist's block and makes your comics wildly successful. But then "bad people" who are looking for the pen recognize the influence of the pen in your art and want it back.

The power of the pen can't be stolen, and it has to be lost or given away. So the bad guys doxx you and take to social media to attack your enjoyment of art.

Add a love interest and maybe a broken home life and you're golden

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Elsa posted:

So the bad guys doxx you and take to social media to attack your enjoyment of art.

things got too real

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Elsa posted:

That's a good premise. A magical fountain pen that solves writer's / artist's block and makes your comics wildly successful. But then "bad people" who are looking for the pen recognize the influence of the pen in your art and want it back.

The power of the pen can't be stolen, and it has to be lost or given away. So the bad guys doxx you and take to social media to attack your enjoyment of art.

Add a love interest and maybe a broken home life and you're golden

The real magic secret is that it is a cursed pen that can only draw nudie comics

NSFW but "tasteful"

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
yeah all of it is great. Just remember the main character needs to be orphaned.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

i would probably not put that thing in the corner unless you're cool with the first search result being your hentai-foundry

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Man, you guys have weird fountain pens. All mine requires is blood.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
oh nice what's up hentai-foundry buddy

wouldn't have known unless someone said something

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Crap posted:

i would probably not put that thing in the corner unless you're cool with the first search result being your hentai-foundry
Of course it directs people to my hentai foundry, it's a webcomic about a naked booby vampire

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

FunkyAl posted:

Of course it directs people to my hentai foundry, it's a webcomic about a naked booby vampire

hell yes I love this so much

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

cc has a bunch of horny boys

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get a pentel pocket brush pen and some sakura microns
If you're experimenting with inking I highly recommend Picking buying a regular ol' sable brush and a pot of Indian Ink! There's a bit of a learning curve but with practice it's easily the fastest and most fluid way to ink.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Crap posted:

cc has a bunch of horny boys

I'm in it for the BENJAMINS

Edit: Like my forefathers before me who left Indiana to die and dig gold and black goo out of the ground in california, i draw the booby vampire on the internet for computer information that i can exchange for money and crystal pepsi

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 12, 2016

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I salute you, Funky Al, on your most noble of endeavors. Godspeed to you and your ghoulish gams.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Reiley posted:

I salute you, Funky Al, on your most noble of endeavors. Godspeed to you and your ghoulish gams.

This actually means a lot haha!! I admire your work a lot.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Well shucks :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm currently working on the second draft of my first comic story. Thinking about the speech balloons - draw em freehand or use digital vector lines? What do you guys use for that? I like the digital option since it leaves more room for translations. Also, just use GIMP?