Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The basement was inside us all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AradoBalanga posted:

After all this time, the key was useless and all they needed was Levi casting "Foot" on the door. Not sure whether or not to be disappointed or surprised.

The door being locked shut was never the real obstacle to begin with, so I don't feel disappointed myself.

This does add the rather terrifying possibilty that the key was meant to open something else that we'll get to in another 40 chapters.

Or perhaps the shifters knew about the basement and got something from it and changed the locks afterwards.

More than anything else, I just want more forward progress.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Here we go

In the basement was a photograph of Grisha wearing a fancy suit along with a woman and child. On the back of the photo, this is written:

“This is the reflection of the light of the objects burned on special paper. It’s called a photograph”.
- “I came from outside the wall, where people live in luxury”
- “Humanity is not extinct at all”

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The new thread title is tremendously good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I dropped this thing years ago but even I still wanna know what's in the basement.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I dropped this thing years ago but even I still wanna know what's in the basement.

It's Eren's uncle, the neet who refuses to get a job and plays video games all day.

Grisha forced him to stay in the basement because he was too ashamed of his own brother.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

After all this time, the key was useless and all they needed was Levi casting "Foot" on the door. Not sure whether or not to be disappointed or surprised.

Levi rattles the knob impotently, as a trombone plays a sad note. He shrugs at the group and they head home.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
http://yonkouprod.com/shingeki-no-kyojin-chapter-85-spoilers/

Holy poo poo those last two pages!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
lmao this manga

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh so it's literally shyamalan time, got it

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda saw this coming from when Armin read that damned book.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yep, that sure is a twist I'm ambivalent about

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Would have been pretty funny if the last pages were Eren fumbling with the lock, and the next chapter started with Levi kicking in the door in frustration.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I will resist the temptation of spoilers this time!

(please translation come fast)

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

I kinda saw this coming from when Armin read that damned book.

Yeah monkey titan's baseball references made me consider the possibility.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xarbala posted:

Oh so it's literally shyamalan time, got it

Called it when I first started reading. The whole scenario gave me The Village vibes.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So what? They're all being held prisoner by some tyrannical family while the world goes on relatively peacefully outside the walls? Is this North Korea?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My prediction was always that humanity was indeed extinct outside the walls but that the government inside the walls manufactured the titan crisis to bring the remnants of humanity under one banner, kind of like an Ozymandias from Watchmen gambit.

I'm actually pretty intrigued by this revelation, though. We've known humanity wasn't extinct outside the walls for a long time now, because clearly people like Bert, Reiner, and Zeke exist. The real question, and the one I've been dying to get answered since the series' start, is why. If society outside the walls is relatively normal and stable, why do they want the people inside the walls dead so bad? What the gently caress happened between the two factions long ago to make that the only option? And why were titans the best means of fighting that war, of all things?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Monkey Titan is probably the son in the photo

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Here is my immediate attempt to reconcile everything that we have seen in this series together with this revelation. Lots of speculation below:

The people within the walls are specifically kept there to draw the titans away from the rest of civilization, much like how Eren's home district and those like it focused titan attention at specific parts of the walls but on a much greater scale.

The shifter village serve as guards to ensure the people in the walls never get out and have been conditioned to think that the people of the walls deserve this fate (perhaps the people in the walls are the descendants of a nation of people who used the titans in warfare and this is an ironic punishment). Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie's original attack on the wall was part of a periodic culling (say, every 100 years) that keeps the populations within the walls small enough to sustain itself and docile with fear.

The coordinate ensures that, when the titans breach, the people within the walls will ultimately survive when the Reiss send the titans away and wipe the population's memory so that the process can repeat. The reason that the old coordinate holders never destroyed the titans is because they know through genetic memory that they would be completely destroyed by the presumably superior outside civilization and always decide that a life in a cage is better than utter annihilation. I am assuming that the civilization outside the walls cannot use the coordinate but know how it works, so they let the Reiss family rule in exchange for their cooperation.

When Grisha interfered with the Reiss' memory wipe and stole the coordinate, he forced the titan shifters, presumably on Zeke's orders, to investigate, hence their infiltration of the military. Their original plan was to join the military police, which would have given them access to the inner walls and would be the logical place for the new coordinate holder to be. The shifters attacked the walls again on the eve of the decision about which branch to join in order to draw out the new holder of the coordinate, expecting them to send the titans away and narrow down their search. Instead, their buddy Eren transforms into a titan and they decide to capture him instead.

When the wall gets plugged by Eren and then Annie gets captured, Monkey Trouble decides to intervene directly and starts spawning titans in the walls, again intending to force the coordinate holder to act. Reiner and Bertolt are exposed in the meantime and decide to snatch Eren and Ymir. I can't remember if Reiner and Bertolt knew that Christa was a Reiss and that is why they wanted her or if it was just Ymir's insistence, but my expectation would be that if they had successfully captured Eren and Christa and found out who she was, they would have forced him to her and then forced her to send the titans away.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Attack on Titan: There's Literally a Fourth Wall, Time to Break it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

Here is my immediate attempt to reconcile everything that we have seen in this series together with this revelation. Lots of speculation below:

The people within the walls are specifically kept there to draw the titans away from the rest of civilization, much like how Eren's home district and those like it focused titan attention at specific parts of the walls but on a much greater scale.

The shifter village serve as guards to ensure the people in the walls never get out and have been conditioned to think that the people of the walls deserve this fate (perhaps the people in the walls are the descendants of a nation of people who used the titans in warfare and this is an ironic punishment). Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie's original attack on the wall was part of a periodic culling (say, every 100 years) that keeps the populations within the walls small enough to sustain itself and docile with fear.

The coordinate ensures that, when the titans breach, the people within the walls will ultimately survive when the Reiss send the titans away and wipe the population's memory so that the process can repeat. The reason that the old coordinate holders never destroyed the titans is because they know through genetic memory that they would be completely destroyed by the presumably superior outside civilization and always decide that a life in a cage is better than utter annihilation. I am assuming that the civilization outside the walls cannot use the coordinate but know how it works, so they let the Reiss family rule in exchange for their cooperation.

When Grisha interfered with the Reiss' memory wipe and stole the coordinate, he forced the titan shifters, presumably on Zeke's orders, to investigate, hence their infiltration of the military. Their original plan was to join the military police, which would have given them access to the inner walls and would be the logical place for the new coordinate holder to be. The shifters attacked the walls again on the eve of the decision about which branch to join in order to draw out the new holder of the coordinate, expecting them to send the titans away and narrow down their search. Instead, their buddy Eren transforms into a titan and they decide to capture him instead.

When the wall gets plugged by Eren and then Annie gets captured, Monkey Trouble decides to intervene directly and starts spawning titans in the walls, again intending to force the coordinate holder to act. Reiner and Bertolt are exposed in the meantime and decide to snatch Eren and Ymir. I can't remember if Reiner and Bertolt knew that Christa was a Reiss and that is why they wanted her or if it was just Ymir's insistence, but my expectation would be that if they had successfully captured Eren and Christa and found out who she was, they would have forced him to her and then forced her to send the titans away.

It's incredibly hard for me to reconcile 'we have literal shifter Titans' and "we need to keep the Titans contained using a ridiculously circuitous plan." Erin alone can wreck Titan's poo poo like nothing. I'm pretty sure if you wanted to wipe out Titans it would take two or three Colossal Titans a couple days tops.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's incredibly hard for me to reconcile 'we have literal shifter Titans' and "we need to keep the Titans contained using a ridiculously circuitous plan." Erin alone can wreck Titan's poo poo like nothing. I'm pretty sure if you wanted to wipe out Titans it would take two or three Colossal Titans a couple days tops.

True but my assumption is that shifters are rare and not everyone outside the Walls are one. Only some in the shifter village are. And we can know that enough titans can eventually overwhelm a shifter (like when Eren's first rampage ended with him killing the abnormal that ate Thomas and immediately collapsing) and that an untransforned shifter can still be taken by surprise and eaten (like Marcel). Based on the limited history of the world plus what is implied in the art, I think that the entire continent is infested with titans.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

There Bias Two posted:

So what? They're all being held prisoner by some tyrannical family while the world goes on relatively peacefully outside the walls? Is this North Korea?

No, it's Japan. As I have been suspecting, this whole thing has been an ultra-nationalist screed. Japan is inside the walls, everything out is literally "the rest of the world".

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kerning Chameleon posted:

No, it's Japan. As I have been suspecting, this whole thing has been an ultra-nationalist screed. Japan is inside the walls, everything out is literally "the rest of the world".

I hear this a lot but the narrative has never felt sympathetic to the viewpoint of the people behind the walls. It's more nihilistic and fatalistic than anything.

Japanese nationalism has always been more of the "we're so great that the world can't believe how hard we're winning" bent, not the "we're imploding from within and the outside world is to blame".

Has the author explicitly expressed ideas sympathetic to fascism to make so many people think AoT is a fascist morality play?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The author admitted way back in 2010 that Dot Pixis was based off of General Akiyama Yoshifuru, whom he respects. As you might surmise, there are some issues with his war record, there are a lot of people who don't respect him, and many places (Korea and China in particular) where he is actively disliked.

That's the only thing I'm aware of, at least, but it ultimately matters very little since Attack on Titan was always going to be the target of such accusations - whether true or false - simply by virtue of being a series written by a Japanese man steeped in military iconography where the military as an institution isn't thoroughly demonized, which automatically makes it suspect in the eyes of a lot of people with a limited understanding of how Japan views itself and the war. I dropped Attack on Titan awhile back so it's not for me to comment on how much of it aligns thematically or intellectually with the Japanese extreme right-wing, but I'm hard-pressed to congratulate a group of witch hunters for finally finding what might be a witch after they've already burned every other innocent woman in the vicinity.

All this to say, this isn't a conversation that's proven to be very fruitful to have on this board or most others, so I wouldn't recommend continuing it unless you've got some salient talking points and evidence on hand.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I hear this a lot but the narrative has never felt sympathetic to the viewpoint of the people behind the walls. It's more nihilistic and fatalistic than anything.

Japanese nationalism has always been more of the "we're so great that the world can't believe how hard we're winning" bent, not the "we're imploding from within and the outside world is to blame".

Has it? Not to make any judgement either way about the manga's themes, but I thought that the humiliation of the American occupation and their enforced pacifism was a key part of modern Japanese nationalist thought.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Without drawing the subject out too much, since we have spoilers to discuss - the way they portrayed the head of the military coup (Zackley) as every bit as debauched and power hungry as the nobles and how they consistently portray the Survey Corps as a meat grinder that absolutely isn't worth wasting your life on leads me to believe the author has a more cynical outlook on the setting than detractors give him credit for.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's a complicated subject, complicated further through the lens of a broad and diverse audience of readers. You could argue the military's portrayal in-series is as a straight condemnation of the way it operates, but you might also argue it's merely a condemnation of what the military's "Become," holding up our protagonists as the sort of self-motivated go-getters we need verses the corrupt and lazy oafs we have. Barring the completion of a stronger thematic arc, it's very easy to see what you want to see and argue in reverse. Honestly, if it's a conversation you want to have, you'd be better served to wait for the series to finish.

In the meantime I'd request you talk about the basement instead.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

In the meantime I'd request you talk about the basement instead.

it's a loving tiny basement I mean come on you can't even fit a foosball table in there

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't want to talk about the basement, it's a pretty disappointing basement

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was hoping there were fireworks there, yeah

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

El Burbo posted:

Here we go

In the basement was a photograph of Grisha wearing a fancy suit along with a woman and child. On the back of the photo, this is written:

“This is the reflection of the light of the objects burned on special paper. It’s called a photograph”.
- “I came from outside the wall, where people live in luxury”
- “Humanity is not extinct at all”

Democratic People's Republic of Korea
1000 years into the future

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kerning Chameleon posted:

it's a loving tiny basement I mean come on you can't even fit a foosball table in there
Clearly, in the next chapter they discover Grisha's hidden entertainment room.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they find a copy of muv-luv alternative for the ps vita

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

They find me

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

a complete collection of Gate and all adaptations

more seriously

Bad Seafood posted:

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 7, 2016

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

a map to another basement

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Thirded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

though on the other hand if that completely cookie cutter twist is really all he's got then I wonder what, besides vaguely creepy giants eating people, Isayama had clear in his mind from the start of this series