Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

CLAM DOWN posted:

....how do you make profit on a prison. 2 for 1 coupons for gruel? rear end beating profit margins? Value-added homemade shivs?

Either using the prisoners as a workforce for labor/production or charging the government money to house/clothe/supervise per prisoner per day then make money on the margin :patriot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pz3syET3DY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CLAM DOWN posted:

....how do you make profit on a prison. 2 for 1 coupons for gruel? rear end beating profit margins? Value-added homemade shivs?

I know this is a joke, but for profit prisons in the US are loving terrible. There are plenty of articles out there that can tell you why. Government pays private industry X amount of dollars per prisoner, private company wants to maximize profit and does things as shittily and cheaply as possible with little regard to the prisoners (aka revenue stream).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mississippi-jails-revenue_us_57100da1e4b06f35cb6f14e8

It's so bad the DOJ is actually ending the use of some private prisons, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.a2cfac52dc4d

I'm sure there's a D&D thread that would be better suited to this. I eagerly await your LOL America post

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

I actually know a guy who graduated from ITT Tech and is now a Sr Engineer at a large consulting company. He may be their most successful graduate ever.

Destroy for profit education.

We had a worthless "Senior Systems Engineer" at one place I worked who proudly displayed both his bachelor's and master's from Strayer on his cube wall. We caught him using a personal laptop plugged into our server network to download torrents and surf AFF.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

We had a worthless "Senior Systems Engineer" at one place I worked who proudly displayed both his bachelor's and master's from Strayer on his cube wall. We caught him using a personal laptop plugged into our server network to download torrents and surf AFF.

This guy is actually pretty good, for what it's worth. I was fairly surprised when he told me where his degree was from.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

The entire US prison system is a god-awful mess. The government does everything similarly to for-profit prisons, you just have plausible deniability because the arm of the government that's lobbying for laws is enforcement, like the DEA. But overcrowding, exploitation (labor and sexual), abuse (physical and sexual), gang warfare, contraband, and not doing a drat thing to actually try to reform the prisoners is in almost every prison to some degree. Looking at private prisons as somehow "bad" compared to government prisons doing many of the same things is letting the government get away with what it says others shouldn't do.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I know this is a joke, but for profit prisons in the US are loving terrible. There are plenty of articles out there that can tell you why. Government pays private industry X amount of dollars per prisoner, private company wants to maximize profit and does things as shittily and cheaply as possible with little regard to the prisoners (aka revenue stream).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mississippi-jails-revenue_us_57100da1e4b06f35cb6f14e8

It's so bad the DOJ is actually ending the use of some private prisons, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.a2cfac52dc4d

I'm sure there's a D&D thread that would be better suited to this. I eagerly await your LOL America post

I actually didn't know how they worked, thank you!!!

e: :lol: amerikkka

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
"Well maybe if they didn't want to starve and be raped they shouldn't have committed a crime!" - Most Americans

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Private prisons are so bad, that a few years back in Arizona, during the Gubernatorial debate, the Libertarian candidate was like "You know, I've been having second thoughts about private prisons."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Private prisons are so bad, that a few years back in Arizona, during the Gubernatorial debate, the Libertarian candidate was like "You know, I've been having second thoughts about private prisons."

Let's not forget the judge in (I believe it was) Upstate New York who was taking kickbacks from the operator of the local privately own prison for doubling down on the number of people he was sentencing.

The company billed the government on body count.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

They were juveniles, too. Literally getting kickbacks to ruin young lives.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I had to explain to my mom what for-profit prisons are two weeks ago, she didn't know they existed in our country. She's a very intelligent teacher but has subscribed to Fox News the last 10 years, and this is the kind of critical information they won't bother sharing.

I wouldn't be surprised if 30% - 40% of Americans have no idea who's getting rich off of keeping people in jail forever.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I had to explain to my mom what for-profit prisons are two weeks ago, she didn't know they existed in our country. She's a very intelligent teacher but has subscribed to Fox News the last 10 years, and this is the kind of critical information they won't bother sharing.

I wouldn't be surprised if 30% - 40% of Americans have no idea who's getting rich off of keeping people in jail forever.

The Feds, the local police, and everything in between. The DEA refused to reschedule marijuana, again. Local LE in California is the most recent in fighting tooth and nail against civil forfeiture restrictions. Some of the places that have passed CF restrictions, the local LEs have gone around the law by having the Feds seize the property and give them back half of the proceeds in sharing arrangements.

Go to a court for minor code violation, walk out with a huge fine - even if its your first offense. Local LEs are quick to jump on things like red light cameras to boost their revenue, also.

The people getting rich off of keeping people in jail forever aren't just the private prisons, it's the criminal justice system.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 6, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The coolest prisons are sitting on plantation land. Lol.

I did IT work fro the county jail and boy was it depressing. Especially here in Texas since the jail system is also the mental health system. At least it was healthcare?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think that percentage might be a bit low tbh.

The situation is hosed, has been for a long time, but I have just a tiny glimmer of hope now that it's at least being talked about.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Burn down every for-profit prison with the owner and warden in solitary, imo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Burn down every for-profit prison with the owner and warden in solitary, imo.

The Federal Government's ending funding for-profit prisons.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I like my solution better.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

psydude posted:

Let's not forget the judge in (I believe it was) Upstate New York who was taking kickbacks from the operator of the local privately own prison for doubling down on the number of people he was sentencing.

The company billed the government on body count.
It was Wilkes-Barre, PA, if it's the same scandal I'm thinking of (I hope it was):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Tangentially related, but there was also that network of boarding schools where parents would send their kids to be literally raped and tortured abroad:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Association_of_Specialty_Programs_and_Schools

Tab8715 posted:

The Federal Government's ending funding for-profit prisons.
That's a whopping 11 prisons, versus the hundreds used by the various states.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 6, 2016

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vulture Culture posted:

That's a whopping 11 prisons, versus the hundreds used by the various states.

True, but see if you can guess when that announcement was made based on the stock prices of the two largest private prison corporations:

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
Why do American companies have such convoluted processes? I am working for a big german robotics manufacturer and when I am talking to eu colleagues everyone says the same.

As soon as you have to reach out to American colleagues your are basically trapped in a super complicated process where you have to go through a lot of complicated management steps to even reach someone competent in your field.

When I want to talk to French or Swiss colleagues I just phone the project manager who is can give me a direct line to someone on the technical side.

When I call a us office I have layers and layers to go through basically talking to all the management up to a director who in most cases doesnt even know who to refer me to which leads to me basically calling all day until I reach someone.

Basically my question is how can you even get anything done with so much micro management?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
defunding private prisons doesn't actually solve the problem, which is that we are simply criminalizing and penalizing too much. The solution is to stop legislating everything and accept some behavior that we don't like as a nuisance instead of making it a crime. Obviously violent crime should always be prosecuted and punished, but we are so far overboard that we created this very problem.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

demonicon posted:

Basically my question is how can you even get anything done with so much micro management?
It really depends on the size of the company. I work for a mid sized company that has avoided much red tape thus far, and in our 3-5 year strategic planning I am really pushing to codify the avoidance of bureaucracy. It doesn't have to be complicated and difficult.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

adorai posted:

It really depends on the size of the company. I work for a mid sized company that has avoided much red tape thus far, and in our 3-5 year strategic planning I am really pushing to codify the avoidance of bureaucracy. It doesn't have to be complicated and difficult.

Keep fighting the good fight.

A lot of the bureaucracy I've seen in jobs in America versus dealing with our foreign counterparts is that we(Americans) seem to be much more insecure about our roles and sharing knowledge. It's not uncommon in a government, university, or very large corporation to find someone who has worked the job for 25 years and refuses to write anything done or share tribal knowledge because they are afraid for their job. Paging Bob Morales btw. Right now I work at a company that has tons of documentation, does weekly open seminars about different pieces of the products, and is very distributed. It feels weird and it really shouldn't. My wife works in Academia and it's a loving mess. People have created such a convoluted system to show their "worth" that it takes SO MUCH TIME to do simple things. Most things like "should we move this painting" require a committee. I can't even.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

demonicon posted:

Companies like that often don't, and there are a lot of them. It's a two-fold issue: After several decades of outsourcing/downsizing/what have you, people try to seem important by always being in the way, so that when the next poo poo comes rolling down hill, it might not hit them. The other side is that companies treat people like dollars. Can you find someone to do it for $12 cheaper per year? You need to hire that cheaper person. This is actually structured into the law for public companies and their shareholder responsibility. This, of course, makes both problems cycle endlessly into misery and bureaucracy.

Virigoth posted:

Keep fighting the good fight.

A lot of the bureaucracy I've seen in jobs in America versus dealing with our foreign counterparts is that we(Americans) seem to be much more insecure about our roles and sharing knowledge. It's not uncommon in a government, university, or very large corporation to find someone who has worked the job for 25 years and refuses to write anything done or share tribal knowledge because they are afraid for their job. Paging Bob Morales btw. Right now I work at a company that has tons of documentation, does weekly open seminars about different pieces of the products, and is very distributed. It feels weird and it really shouldn't. My wife works in Academia and it's a loving mess. People have created such a convoluted system to show their "worth" that it takes SO MUCH TIME to do simple things. Most things like "should we move this painting" require a committee. I can't even.
Worse is when those committees need to make unanimous decisions. A single "No" from any member and you can't move that painting. :smith:

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
I mean I am in a half Swiss, half german team and we are right now working on an automation solution for a us factory.

When it comes to processes you would think us Germans and Swiss would be the guys difficult to work with.

But in the US your management level is so super difficult and your processes so convoluted that even us Germans couldnt even dream to top that.

In fact the middle management of most us companies is probably just really dump. We don't know actually though. It is just very difficult to work with a us company because of all the red tape the super confusing rights management the lack of competent middle management and the real difficulty to find a person competent

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Arsten posted:

Companies like that often don't, and there are a lot of them. It's a two-fold issue: After several decades of outsourcing/downsizing/what have you, people try to seem important by always being in the way, so that when the next poo poo comes rolling down hill, it might not hit them. The other side is that companies treat people like dollars. Can you find someone to do it for $12 cheaper per year? You need to hire that cheaper person. This is actually structured into the law for public companies and their shareholder responsibility. This, of course, makes both problems cycle endlessly into misery and bureaucracy.

Worse is when those committees need to make unanimous decisions. A single "No" from any member and you can't move that painting. :smith:

Right now she is working on doing artwork for a new department that merged together 4 long solo standing university departments into one building. My brain would explode with some of the dumb e-mails and meetings she shows me she has to attend. She's already going scorched earth on one department and making a strategic withdrawal into safer waters. gently caress those journalism school people anyway. If there was a "Working at Universities" thread she'd be on Dick Trauma's level but not quite Larches. Just last week some random staffer wrote a giant rant to the President of a major state university about how he couldn't take their art. :commissar:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

demonicon posted:

In fact the middle management of most us companies is probably just really dump. We don't know actually though. It is just very difficult to work with a us company because of all the red tape the super confusing rights management the lack of competent middle management and the real difficulty to find a person competent
Do you actually have knowledge of 'most US companies" ?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

How many companies have you had this experience with, in how many industries?

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
Sorry for the rant. I have a lot of respect for all the it people working in such an environment

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

a cop posted:

How many companies have you had this experience with, in how many industries?

In almost all industries that require some form of storage or manufacture something.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Virigoth posted:

Right now she is working on doing artwork for a new department that merged together 4 long solo standing university departments into one building. My brain would explode with some of the dumb e-mails and meetings she shows me she has to attend. She's already going scorched earth on one department and making a strategic withdrawal into safer waters. gently caress those journalism school people anyway. If there was a "Working at Universities" thread she'd be on Dick Trauma's level but not quite Larches. Just last week some random staffer wrote a giant rant to the President of a major state university about how he couldn't take their art. :commissar:

"couldn't take their art"? That's.....a very nice problem to have. If you know the student, tell him I'll trade with him. :v:

demonicon posted:

In almost all industries that require some form of storage or manufacture something.

There are companies that are backwards as hell - I run into a lot of them in my line of work - but I wouldn't think that most manufacturing plants would have those sorts of troubles.

Then again, back when the Detroit auto makers were about to go under, I heard some pretty bizarre processes going on, so maybe it is that bad?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Arsten posted:

Then again, back when the Detroit auto makers were about to go under, I heard some pretty bizarre processes going on, so maybe it is that bad?
There is hosed up poo poo everywhere, you can fixate on it and make it a target without any context pretty easily.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

demonicon posted:

I work in manufacturing and it's not like this at all. It makes a huge difference if it's a publicly traded company in general though. If they are publicly traded and do govt contracts hold onto your butt.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

adorai posted:

There is hosed up poo poo everywhere, you can fixate on it and make it a target without any context pretty easily.

Yeah, but I am not sure in this area. I haven't worked with many manufacturing companies. In fact, I can only think of one that I've worked with and it was some superficial crap, so I'm probably the not anywhere close on barometer. My gut check is that it's odd that a company who makes the most money by being as efficient as possible will add payroll that interferes with that efficiency. I have had friends who do IT work at manufacturers that will pay someone a couple hundred thousand dollars if they can shave a penny off of each product to pop out of the process.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I work in manufacturing and it's not like this at all.

This is a helpful anchor point.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

demonicon posted:

I mean I am in a half Swiss, half german team and we are right now working on an automation solution for a us factory.

When it comes to processes you would think us Germans and Swiss would be the guys difficult to work with.

But in the US your management level is so super difficult and your processes so convoluted that even us Germans couldnt even dream to top that.

If it makes you feel any better I've worked with a few European companies and they seem to have an extremely loose definition of good work. You're probably getting the runaround because no one thinks your over engineered sharepoint add in is actually going to help.

You wouldn't happen to be at a Swiss-based company with subsidiaries in the US would you?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SaltLick posted:

The coolest prisons are sitting on plantation land. Lol.

I did IT work fro the county jail and boy was it depressing. Especially here in Texas since the jail system is also the mental health system. At least it was healthcare?

And it saves on the costs of having to have a separate facility for all of the mentally disabled people Texas executes!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Arsten posted:

I have had friends who do IT work at manufacturers that will pay someone a couple hundred thousand dollars if they can shave a penny off of each product to pop out of the process.

This times a lot.

In my current job I am modernizing a whole bunch of manufacturing plants and pulling their networks together specifically to 1) change it from 98-99%ish uptime to 99.999% because downtime is expensive as gently caress in a manufacturing plant and 2) to enable the application of linear optimization so the company knows what to make at any particular time and change it very quickly in order to make the most money. Save a quarter of a percent on materials here, identify some tiny inefficiency there, etc. They are paying many millions for this and it's 100% worth it.

This is in something as unsexy and simple as wood products but it applies pretty broadly for most competitive markets. If you aren't extremely efficient and automated you can't compete with the people who are or the companies employing someone far away for a buck an hour to make the same thing. The more commoditized your product is the truer this becomes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

skipdogg posted:

This is true of a lot of degrees across a lot of disciplines. My program wasn't bad, but you definitely got what you put into it.

http://www.gccaz.edu/academics/degrees-certificates/microsoft-networking-technology-aas

I was in that program more than 10 years ago but it hasn't changed much, the courses have been updated of course for newer tech but the format is basically the same.

My brother graduated with a CS degree and landed a tier 2 helpdesk job after school was over. He almost got fired the first day because he didn't know how to reset a password in AD. They don't teach that stuff in a CS degree.

Personally I view IT (specifically system administration) as a skilled trade, you start at your entry level job (helpdesk) and work your way up the ladder, just like a plumber or electrician would.

When i took a computer repair class in high school, our teacher described it as the closest to white collar you can get while still being a blue collar worker.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Well, CS and IT aren't the same thing either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This is in something as unsexy and simple as wood products

If you are trying to sex your wood products, you are doing it wrong.