Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

One of the traits ol' Crackhead Carl picked up was Radiogenic, meaning he heals from radiation instead of being killed by it. He also just happened to have a toxic waste sarcophagus password, so I decided this was a great adventure to embark on.

I already knew about the radioactivity, but in the process of looting it I discovered two other things hazardous waste zones have in plentiful supply: infinitely respawning zombies and weed. Scattered among the trash at the various dump sites were 33 separate joints, so either this place was a front for a smuggling operation or the workers here were blazed as gently caress 24-7. Either way I was liking the vibe of the whole place, and it suddenly occurred to me that Carl should set up shop here: once you close up the sarcophagi the respawning zombies can't get to you, Carl was so mutated that the huge pools of radioactive sewage were actually a plus for him, and come on, how many other postapocalyptic scavengers live in an undergound bunker with a working elevator? In the laborious process of moving my stuff over, I suddenly started mutating (it took me an embarrassingly long time to remember that I was irradiated as gently caress from rolling around in nuclear waste): I got Venomous and Webbed Hands, but most importantly I lost Sores, the mutation that was causing the constant pain! Things were going great for Carl: New underground lair, no more constant agony, and the massive amount of marijuana I found which was going to be used to treat his chronic pain could instead be used to treat chronic boredom! After hauling over most of my stuff in a shopping card, I noticed I had spawned in one more slime serum and decided, fatefully, to use it in celebration.

The results were exquisite: Hollow Bones (move 20% faster, 40% less carry weight), Pseudolimbs ("Your limbs can fit into anything! +4 Dex -4 Str) and Sensory Disintegration (can only see in one tile radius, -8 Per, morale penalty). So basically his bones collapsed and resultingly he can't hold himself in an even vaguely human shape, and he's miserable from not being able to see anything and constantly tasting the floor. While his Dex and Int are still sky high (18 and 24), his Str and Per are awful now (7 and 5) and he can only carry about 40 pounds (which I can only imagine he's awkwardly pushing along as he oozes across the ground). We're in full-on I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream territory here, and worse yet he's dangerously low on supplies, as I'm pretty sure I didn't bring over the food yet. After a long moment of panic and about thirty turns blindly groping around for it, I find and check the shopping cart, let's see what is in it: guns and ammo, a shitload of books - good choice bringing those instead of food, rear end in a top hat - and my medical supplies. No food. With this character being a) twice as hungry and three times as thirsty as a normal character, b) unable to carry anything beyond his clothes and c) effectively blind, there's basically no chance of being able to get back to the old house for the rest of the supplies. So yeah, he's hosed. I was pretty bummed, until I remembered: the joints.

Not only had I found almost 40, but the medicine supply in my shopping cart included 55 units of cannabis that I'd found in various grow rooms. I turned a copy of Dianetics into a mountain of rolling papers, and soon enough I have like a pound of fine smokables. I'm not even sure how Carl is smoking these considering he doesn't have a mouth or probably even lungs anymore, but it's somehow working. While I'm puffing away, I put in my earbuds (god knows where) and just start candybowling the various drugs I've found so far - a little Adderal here, some codeine and oxycodone there, not to mention coke and low-grade meth. The end result of this whirlwind of debauchery is a morale of +630 and an Int of 36 - I'd be reading at x10 normal speed if I could still read (or even see) - and the inevitable overdose will spare him the pain of starving to death or, even worse, drying out. Thus ends Crackhead Carl, human puddle: doomed, but determined to go out in a very literal blaze of glory.

Edit: I was half-joking about him eating by osmosis in the previous post, but I just noticed that he stopped 'eating' and started 'assimilating' food at some point. I love this loving game.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do book recipes work exactly? Is there a way to commit them to memory or something?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

How do book recipes work exactly? Is there a way to commit them to memory or something?

You read the book over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Or you just keep a copy of the book near your crafting area and not worry.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Leal posted:

You read the book over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Or craft the item a few times, you'll probably memorise the recipe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, have they changed the armor layering system? I vaguely remember encumbrance changing depending on the layer on which the armor was equipped but now I can seemingly wear a backpack under my t-shirt and nothing's changing (unless I'm blind).

Leal posted:

Or you just keep a copy of the book near your crafting area and not worry.

Do you at least remember it if you craft the item once with the book?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Jack Trades posted:

Also, have they changed the armor layering system? I vaguely remember encumbrance changing depending on the layer on which the armor was equipped but now I can seemingly wear a backpack under my t-shirt and nothing's changing (unless I'm blind).

This seems like it was broken, yes. Layering doesn't appear to affect anything, other than having multiple things on the same layer (two gloves, two backpacks, etc).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any way to "recover" from having lost a couple of limbs? I accidentally stepped on a land mine but managed to crawl away and survive.
Do I try to irradiate myself in hope that I grow some extra appendages?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Do you at least remember it if you craft the item once with the book?

It's a chance based on your IQ if I remember right. Good news is you don't need the book in your inventory, so as long you keep them in a pile or container next to your crafting supplies then it's not really a big fuss. Every so often it doesn't hurt to go through them and see which one's you don't need to free up space.

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any way to "recover" from having lost a couple of limbs? I accidentally stepped on a land mine but managed to crawl away and survive.
Do I try to irradiate myself in hope that I grow some extra appendages?

Splints for legs, and maybe slings for arms. There are also machines in Hospitals that can fix them. They're not completely gone just shattered into uselessness and take a good deal of time to heal.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 5, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

girth brooks part 2 posted:

They're not completely gone just shattered into uselessness and take a good deal of time to heal.

If you splint it then it will eventually recover and have 1hp (then heal it fully using first aid or sleep). Mr Stem Cell brings it to 1hp instantly. Without one of these two options it will stay broken.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I don't know if they changed it, but camera displays seem to be unlearnable at the moment - there doesn't appear to be any books that show you how to craft it and the recipe itself isn't learned from levelling up.

unless I'm missing something, the only way it seems you can learn it right now is to happen upon one (which is a miracle in itself) and disassemble it and pray you learn the recipe.

Also, Power armour is both a boon and a curse. I wore a full set of heavy power armour and was basically God, but the only way to actually have carrying capacity was to have a hauling fame which doesn't really add that much. Pretty annoying if you're trying to loot someplace.

Still, was funny going toe-to-toe with a basement full of spiders with nothing but a knife and laughing off their attempts to poison me.

e: actually a project I want to try is to take my current hoard-mobile and make it fully remote-controllable. If I want to move the car closer to me, I just whip out the control laptop and drive it towards me, Batman-style.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 5, 2016

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I just grabbed today's latest. My prior copy's from a couple-few months ago. Can I wash filthy clothes to get the (I assume) mood penalty removed, and if so, how?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I just grabbed today's latest. My prior copy's from a couple-few months ago. Can I wash filthy clothes to get the (I assume) mood penalty removed, and if so, how?

You need soap, a washboard and a source of infinite water (a lake or river).

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I think turning my car into my main base was a bad idea. I learned that filling your trunk with a bunch of heavy loot drastically decreases your mileage. Well, I guess I will find a spot to unload all my stuff and make a base there.

How big is the game world anyways?

How can I trap small game? I see squirrels and stuff in the woods, but they always run away.

So I noticed I can make dog and cat food. I assume this is for taming wild dogs. Are there any cats in game? Or will the cat tame a cougar?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The game world is functionally infinite; whenever you get to the edge of it, it will generate more. Using your car as your main base is the standard wisdom, actually, at least until you get it into your head that you should have an NPC base. If you're having problems with your vehicle, your vehicle is usually the issue, though I suppose it depends on if you're hauling along multiple barrels of craft beer or something similarly idiotic. I prefer to have one gasoline engine and one electric motor and switch off using them - the weight of hauling around multiple tons of crap is largely irrelevant then.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
suggestion: completely rework fluid containers on cars so you 1) don't specifically need to declare a tank as a fuel, water, clean water tank etc 2) you can fill a tank with booze and drink it on tap

and then accidentally put gasoline in it and drink it anyway like a true hobo would

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Slime posted:

suggestion: completely rework fluid containers on cars so you 1) don't specifically need to declare a tank as a fuel, water, clean water tank etc 2) you can fill a tank with booze and drink it on tap

and then accidentally put gasoline in it and drink it anyway like a true hobo would

That would be really neat and having a beer/mutagen/soup tap would be loving tight.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Even better if we can also set water cannons to draw from any specified tank, allowing stuff like acid cannons, poison cannons, human blood cannons, plant mutagen cannons, etc.

I'd make heavy use of a gasoline cannon to thoroughly hose down triffid groves/fungal towers before tossing a firecracker and hauling rear end.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is the chemical sprayer still broken? The last time I tried to use it it took 1 minute to reload 1 unit of chemical, and shooting the weapon once consumed 200 units. I almost starved to death when I tried to load the weapon for the first time.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I like the zombie children. They are walking little moral penalties that are too weak to harm me or break anything down. I just lure them all into a room and close the door behind me as I leave. When I gather a whole classroom, I torch the room.

I also like the wild life.

While I was raiding a gun store, a zombie decided to do some aggressive window shopping and smashed a window, setting off the alarm. A crowd of zombies quickly gathered at the only exit. As I prepared for battle, a moose plowed into the crowd, stomping every zombie to death. Satisfied with its pile of corpses, the moose sauntered to a corner of the gun store to rest.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Coolguye posted:

Yes, this is effectively a stationary generator. You will still need a set of controls to turn it on and a gas tank, but you do not require wheels, technically.

I can always rely on you, President Grant :v: I figured that's how it worked but I wasn't certain. Of course, the character for whom that question was germane is now zombie chow, but eh, you die you learn.

What I really need to learn next is to be more judicious in what I take when I raid a place. I don't actually need to grab everything not nailed down, then take apart everything that is nailed down, and take the nails and 2x4s both.

e; What I really want on vehicles would be automatic water purification as long as there's dirty water in the vehicle and space in a clean water tank.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 7, 2016

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
how the living poo poo do i have the sartorial wherewithal to fashion cargo shorts, but im completely stumped by what to do below the knee and simply cant make cargo pants

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Probably because the recipe you have involves cutting full sized cargo pants at the knees.

It's the same with trenchcoats - you get a recipe for sleeveless trenchcoats early, which takes a normal trenchcoat and a cutting tool. Later, you can learn to actually make the thing from scratch.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Is there an up-to-date guide to compiling this in Visual Studio?
I've pulled the Git repo into Visual Studio, and I'm busy stomping on compliation errors. So far I've just been making sure I've got all my dependencies, but I'm getting a lot of ambiguous call errors that I'm guessing weren't a problem for the developers.

EDIT
Most common errors are dump in dump.cpp not taking two arguments, and read_from_file_optional being an ambiguous call to overloaded function in serveral cpps.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 7, 2016

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

grate deceiver posted:

Probably because the recipe you have involves cutting full sized cargo pants at the knees.

It's the same with trenchcoats - you get a recipe for sleeveless trenchcoats early, which takes a normal trenchcoat and a cutting tool. Later, you can learn to actually make the thing from scratch.

The recipe I had used rags. I've since found another book that gave me the receipe for full pants, or I'd screencap it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

The recipe I had used rags. I've since found another book that gave me the receipe for full pants, or I'd screencap it.

Oh, I think I mistook it for denim shorts. In that case, yeah, it's dumb.

Edit: Related trick that is kinda sorta useful early on - if you find a badly damaged trenchcoat or duster, you can turn it into a full durability sleeveless one for the cost of 3 points of arm protection and some warmth.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 7, 2016

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Rockopolis posted:

Is there an up-to-date guide to compiling this in Visual Studio?
I've pulled the Git repo into Visual Studio, and I'm busy stomping on compliation errors. So far I've just been making sure I've got all my dependencies, but I'm getting a lot of ambiguous call errors that I'm guessing weren't a problem for the developers.

EDIT
Most common errors are dump in dump.cpp not taking two arguments, and read_from_file_optional being an ambiguous call to overloaded function in serveral cpps.

I have a pull request to fix this up as we speak, but its taking forever because they are extremely nitpicky about it.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/18176

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

One of the traits ol' Crackhead Carl picked up was Radiogenic, meaning he heals from radiation instead of being killed by it. He also just happened to have a toxic waste sarcophagus password, so I decided this was a great adventure to embark on.

I already knew about the radioactivity, but in the process of looting it I discovered two other things hazardous waste zones have in plentiful supply: infinitely respawning zombies and weed. Scattered among the trash at the various dump sites were 33 separate joints, so either this place was a front for a smuggling operation or the workers here were blazed as gently caress 24-7. Either way I was liking the vibe of the whole place, and it suddenly occurred to me that Carl should set up shop here: once you close up the sarcophagi the respawning zombies can't get to you, Carl was so mutated that the huge pools of radioactive sewage were actually a plus for him, and come on, how many other postapocalyptic scavengers live in an undergound bunker with a working elevator? In the laborious process of moving my stuff over, I suddenly started mutating (it took me an embarrassingly long time to remember that I was irradiated as gently caress from rolling around in nuclear waste): I got Venomous and Webbed Hands, but most importantly I lost Sores, the mutation that was causing the constant pain! Things were going great for Carl: New underground lair, no more constant agony, and the massive amount of marijuana I found which was going to be used to treat his chronic pain could instead be used to treat chronic boredom! After hauling over most of my stuff in a shopping card, I noticed I had spawned in one more slime serum and decided, fatefully, to use it in celebration.

The results were exquisite: Hollow Bones (move 20% faster, 40% less carry weight), Pseudolimbs ("Your limbs can fit into anything! +4 Dex -4 Str) and Sensory Disintegration (can only see in one tile radius, -8 Per, morale penalty). So basically his bones collapsed and resultingly he can't hold himself in an even vaguely human shape, and he's miserable from not being able to see anything and constantly tasting the floor. While his Dex and Int are still sky high (18 and 24), his Str and Per are awful now (7 and 5) and he can only carry about 40 pounds (which I can only imagine he's awkwardly pushing along as he oozes across the ground). We're in full-on I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream territory here, and worse yet he's dangerously low on supplies, as I'm pretty sure I didn't bring over the food yet. After a long moment of panic and about thirty turns blindly groping around for it, I find and check the shopping cart, let's see what is in it: guns and ammo, a shitload of books - good choice bringing those instead of food, rear end in a top hat - and my medical supplies. No food. With this character being a) twice as hungry and three times as thirsty as a normal character, b) unable to carry anything beyond his clothes and c) effectively blind, there's basically no chance of being able to get back to the old house for the rest of the supplies. So yeah, he's hosed. I was pretty bummed, until I remembered: the joints.

Not only had I found almost 40, but the medicine supply in my shopping cart included 55 units of cannabis that I'd found in various grow rooms. I turned a copy of Dianetics into a mountain of rolling papers, and soon enough I have like a pound of fine smokables. I'm not even sure how Carl is smoking these considering he doesn't have a mouth or probably even lungs anymore, but it's somehow working. While I'm puffing away, I put in my earbuds (god knows where) and just start candybowling the various drugs I've found so far - a little Adderal here, some codeine and oxycodone there, not to mention coke and low-grade meth. The end result of this whirlwind of debauchery is a morale of +630 and an Int of 36 - I'd be reading at x10 normal speed if I could still read (or even see) - and the inevitable overdose will spare him the pain of starving to death or, even worse, drying out. Thus ends Crackhead Carl, human puddle: doomed, but determined to go out in a very literal blaze of glory.

Edit: I was half-joking about him eating by osmosis in the previous post, but I just noticed that he stopped 'eating' and started 'assimilating' food at some point. I love this loving game.

The return key is your friend, friend. But fun story!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

PiCroft posted:

I have a pull request to fix this up as we speak, but its taking forever because they are extremely nitpicky about it.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/18176
Great, thanks! I'll give the changes a try after work.

Looking forward to building a Silat master and reenacting the Raid.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

Great, thanks! I'll give the changes a try after work.

Looking forward to building a Silat master and reenacting the Raid.

Silat is the best martial art because +1 dodge, also machetes are great for the 80ish attack speed. You will run into issues with soldier zombies ignoring all but 1-5 damage until you critical but they don't seem to attack for any more than a normal zombie so just kill them last.

E: And once you get melee/weapon type above 2 you will be criticaling every 5ish swings, and 2 of those were a 0 time block for damage.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 7, 2016

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I think I got this "surviving" thing gown. Now I am trying to become a post apocalyptic murder machine. I crafted a full suit of armor, a sword, a mace, and holsters for all my guns. My current tactic is to fix up heavy armored vehicle, go on a road rage bender until my car falls apart, then hop out and slaughter whatever remains.

I am gathering kevlar materials and bionics to upgrade my guy. What drops bionics besides the shocker zombies? Would certain locations have more chances for bionics (besides labs)? All I have found so far from butchering shockers are battery bionics and a bionic that let's me eat two by fours for bionic power.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I think I got this "surviving" thing gown. Now I am trying to become a post apocalyptic murder machine. I crafted a full suit of armor, a sword, a mace, and holsters for all my guns. My current tactic is to fix up heavy armored vehicle, go on a road rage bender until my car falls apart, then hop out and slaughter whatever remains.

I am gathering kevlar materials and bionics to upgrade my guy. What drops bionics besides the shocker zombies? Would certain locations have more chances for bionics (besides labs)? All I have found so far from butchering shockers are battery bionics and a bionic that let's me eat two by fours for bionic power.

You can sometimes get high-end bionics out of bank vaults. You'll need good computer skill to hack the vault door computer and a stethoscope to crack the safe boxes inside. You can get around the computer skill requirement by just crashing a car into the bank wall, but I'm not sure if there's a way to bypass the stethoscope requirement. I haven't tried explosives since I am too afraid to damage the valuable contents.

You can find stethoscopes in hospitals and sometimes in the back of ambulances.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You can also find bionics in high-end electronics stores, and metal wreckage (i.e. plane/helicopter crash sites) has a very small chance to yield CBMs, but when it does they tend to be insane experimental poo poo. So consider digging up all the wreckage you come across.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Also butcher scientist zombies. They have a good chance to drop some kind of CBM and occasionally it's rare and useful.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Beat labs obviously. Lab finales are sometimes chock full of CBMs still, right?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Doesn't even have to be a finale, one of the lab tiles is a CBM vault with 2x stacks of CBMs behind a retractable piece of glass controlled by a console. Also you'll be fighting a lot of scientists and some bio-operators in labs so there's plenty of CBMs to be had.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Also butcher scientist zombies. They have a good chance to drop some kind of CBM and occasionally it's rare and useful.

To add on to this, zombie scientists are guaranteed to appear not only in labs, but also in FEMA camps and frequently will be found in those little random setpiece areas fighting extradimensionals like mi-go and kreks.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Speaking of cybernetics, it seems that flubbing installing them can clear out defective bionics.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
With bank vaults you can also just jackhammer open everything, including the safes.

Jackhammering safes has a chance to damage anything fragile in them, but not always. Last bank I did had a power armor outside the safes, and in the safes was a heavy power armor (undamaged) and two mutagen (one shattered, one not) from doing so.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
I haven't played this game in a long while, is there any way to move two vehicles at once yet, either by towing, making custom foldable vehicles, or being able to park one inside another?
I always wanted to have one huge mobile base tank truck with a smaller supersonic superbike or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

TheKnife posted:

I haven't played this game in a long while, is there any way to move two vehicles at once yet, either by towing, making custom foldable vehicles, or being able to park one inside another?
I always wanted to have one huge mobile base tank truck with a smaller supersonic superbike or something

Not quite but if you install the foldable vehicles pack the cargo carrier is foldable, so you can make a foldable cart and stick it in your car's storage.