Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

copen posted:

i'll just leave this here.

So... What is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I'm not really sure, maybe vegetable shortening in a tube? Kind of made me laugh that people are always making cast iron pans more complicated then they need to be.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Multiple people on Amazon list the ingredients as -
Organic palm oil, organic coconut oil, organic sunflower seed oil, vitamin E, citric acid 

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The organic certification helps it polymerise better. No contaminates!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

copen posted:

i'll just leave this here.

Looks like something people in Portland are using on their beards...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just fry the sun flowers and Coco nuts from scratch, minimal processing required. Then the nutrients stay in the pan, and it feels sooooooo much better

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I want that pan. Looks like it a good size/weight and nice handle for French style omelettes. And a mountain of crêpes.

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Do yourselves a favor and cook a tuna steak in your cast iron. So fast, so simple my cat could do it, so so tasty. Here's what I did:

Preheat oven as hot as it will go (on mine it's 550). Stick the pan in there.

Put rice on to cook.

Coat the tuna in a little oil, and season to taste. I used a little fish sauce and lime juice and sugar but salt and pepper is probably fine, the point is to taste the fish not the seasoning.

Prep veggies or salad or whatever else you want with your tuna and rice. (For maximum laziness do something that you can roast in the super hot oven in the last few minutes).

When the rice is done, take the pan out of the oven and put it on a high flame on the stove top. Cook the tuna for about a minute and a half on each side, you want a nice brown crust but don't cook it too far.

I made Andrea Nguyen's ginger-lime sauce from Into The Vietnamese Kitchen (buy this book) to drizzle over it and it was amazing. It's basically minced ginger, equal parts fish sauce and lime juice, and sugar, the proportions according to your taste. But basically anything will work as long as it doesn't overpower the flavor of the tuna.

Start to finish is about thirty minutes if you're organized and your side is fairly straightforward.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Last time I did something like that it filled my kitchen with plumes of smoke.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QuarkMartial posted:

Last time I did something like that it filled my kitchen with plumes of smoke.

That's generally what happens with quality searing, yes.

My dream house is a bedroom/bathroom with an 8 car garage/shop and a simple kitchen with an ACTUAL EXTERNAL-VENTING HOOD OVER THE STOVE IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Enourmo posted:

My dream house is a bedroom/bathroom with an 8 car garage/shop and a simple kitchen with an ACTUAL EXTERNAL-VENTING HOOD OVER THE STOVE IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK

I'm hoping my wife and I can move to a single-family home next year. I can install a venting hood if it doesn't already come with one.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you live in a city you can often find these apts that have external venting hoods with serious fans in Chinatown. I guess Chinese cooking makes a metric poo poo ton of smoke so they build apt buildings to be able to deal with a ton of Chinese families there for obvious reasons.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Unless it's an industrial strength fume extractor you're still going to be smoking up the kitchen when you do a good sear. Whenever I do Kenji's pan seared porterhouse recipe I just throw my skillet on the propane burner I use for brewing so I don't have to worry about the smoke and grease splatters.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh yeah, I also want a single family home so I can shut off the smoke detectors when I'm cooking.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TheQuietWilds posted:

If you live in a city you can often find these apts that have external venting hoods with serious fans in Chinatown. I guess Chinese cooking makes a metric poo poo ton of smoke so they build apt buildings to be able to deal with a ton of Chinese families there for obvious reasons.

Buddies wife is from China she doesn't understand why nobody builds a stove outside

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Made Kenji's pan pizza. I've made plenty of neapolitan in an actual pizza oven before, but this was my first time making pizza in cast iron. Came out pretty drat well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

qutius posted:

Looks like something people in Portland are using on their beards...
I don't think you know how tough it is to get oil out of a white v neck

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

door Door door posted:

Made Kenji's pan pizza. I've made plenty of neapolitan in an actual pizza oven before, but this was my first time making pizza in cast iron. Came out pretty drat well.

That is some hella good looking crust.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I inherited an old cast iron pan with a bunch of burnt up crud on it, and I've never really used cast iron for much before. Is there anything in particular I should do to get that stuff off so I can reseason it, should I just go at it with soap and a brush, or should I just ignore the burnt up parts and season over it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoubleDonut posted:

I inherited an old cast iron pan with a bunch of burnt up crud on it, and I've never really used cast iron for much before. Is there anything in particular I should do to get that stuff off so I can reseason it, should I just go at it with soap and a brush, or should I just ignore the burnt up parts and season over it?

I would run it through an oven clean cycle, then take a wire brush to it and then reseason.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

door Door door posted:

Unless it's an industrial strength fume extractor you're still going to be smoking up the kitchen when you do a good sear. Whenever I do Kenji's pan seared porterhouse recipe I just throw my skillet on the propane burner I use for brewing so I don't have to worry about the smoke and grease splatters.

This is why I am building a 5 meter long outdoor kitchen behind the house with a concrete countertop. Currently building the mould for the top. I'll put the weber grill into the counter top and I have plans to make a 22.5" carbon steel griddle for it.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
Dutch oven question: Enameled or raw?

I've got a large Lodge frying pan that has been a workhorse and I've cared for it rather well, thus I'm not totally incompetent WRT cast iron. Still the amount of futzing makes an enameled finish more appealing at first glance. What I'm not going to do is drop over 100 bux on a fancy french deal, and I've heard the Lodge enameled are pretty fragile in the finish department. I've also heard that all enamel goes to hell eventually (I'd think it's impossible to keep checking from occurring and rather quickly just based on high school level physics.) So at second glance, the raw iron wins out, and rather strongly in my tightwad opinion.

I'd be using it for mostly no knead bread, soups, stews (likely tomato based), beans, and roasts. Are the bare iron ones as high maintenance as I've been lead to believe?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

YeahWhatevah posted:

I've got a large Lodge frying pan that has been a workhorse and I've cared for it rather well, thus I'm not totally incompetent WRT cast iron. Still the amount of futzing makes an enameled finish more appealing at first glance. What I'm not going to do is drop over 100 bux on a fancy french deal, and I've heard the Lodge enameled are pretty fragile in the finish department. I've also heard that all enamel goes to hell eventually (I'd think it's impossible to keep checking from occurring and rather quickly just based on high school level physics.) So at second glance, the raw iron wins out, and rather strongly in my tightwad opinion.

I'd be using it for mostly no knead bread, soups, stews (likely tomato based), beans, and roasts. Are the bare iron ones as high maintenance as I've been lead to believe?

Enameled in your case

My lodge is 3 years old and fine finish wise except a chip I did myself accidentally.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bread is better raw as 500-550 degree ovens are not friendly to enamel. Enamel is better for your stews, get both. The lodge combo cooker is a godsend for bread.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Crazyeyes posted:

That is some hella good looking crust.

Beauty of doing it in cast iron: crust wasn't totally done on the bottom when the toppings were, so I just tossed it on a burner for a few minutes after I pulled it from the oven.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

YeahWhatevah posted:

I got the enameled Emeril brand one for like $30 with a coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Heners_UK posted:

Enameled in your case

My lodge is 3 years old and fine finish wise except a chip I did myself accidentally.

How well does it hold up in stovetop use? I guess I'm a bit paranoid that uneven heating is just asking to check it. I've got a fuckoff huge oval ceramic crockpot that does my chili duty for now, but the soups I've tried in it are lackluster. I'm thinking low and slow heat isn't cutting it.

Mr. Wookums posted:

bread is better raw as 500-550 degree ovens are not friendly to enamel. Enamel is better for your stews, get both. The lodge combo cooker is a godsend for bread.

Been eying the combo dutch oven for a while now. I just wish it came in a 7 quart, which is kind of silly as I think the 5 and 7 quart only differ in depth. I can't find a 7 qt with the skillet lid though.

I keep lurking the thrift and second hand shops locally. They all say the same thing, cast iron cookware doesn't last a day provided it's not all nasty/warped. Doesn't stop me from looking though, and I'll probably end up with one of each type eventually.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I always prefered without enamel, I just know I am going to ruin the enamel eventually anyway. I'm too harsh on my cookware. I get great chili from it. I can even put the pot in my smoker.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I just realized I have 3. A blue enamel one that I use semi often, a red one I inherited from my grandmother, and a non enamel one I bought back in June that is currently living in my truck.

So what I mean to say is get whichever you want, because you'll end up with a bunch no matter what :v:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mr. Wookums posted:

What do 500-550 degree ovens do to enamel? I've been using my enamel dutch oven for bread for a long time and I haven't seen any ill effects, but maybe I'm not looking for the right thing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Do you have to re season cast iron after every time you wash it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

Unless it's really filthy just heat a bit of oil in it, take it off the heat, then dump in a good bit of kosher salt (really saturate the oil). Wipe that around with a paper towel or something and dump it out. Hit a paper towel with a little more oil and wipe it around, giving the pan a good thin coat of oil. It's now clean and the last step will help prevent rust.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Also if you were searing meat and have crust all over the bottom of your pan, deglaze that poo poo and make a pan sauce or gravy.

Cast iron cookware has all of these maybes and ambiguities that make people think it's super complicated, but your illiterate dirt farming ancestors figured it out well enough.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jewel Repetition posted:

Nope that's a myth. The seasoning is really loving hard you know, you can scrape on it with metal utensils and it only gets better. A little soap and water and a brush isn't gonna do anything. Just reapply a light coat of canola oil or similar after washing it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What do 500-550 degree ovens do to enamel? I've been using my enamel dutch oven for bread for a long time and I haven't seen any ill effects, but maybe I'm not looking for the right thing.

Generally it's not the enamel itself and more that knobs and handles on enameled pots are not oven safe up to that temp half the time.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Depending on what oil you used for your seasoning and how well it's applied dish soap will screw it up.

If you use a good drying oil like flax or sunflower and follow the technique listed here to apply it you will have a good solid seasoning.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

That seasoning should stand up to an occasional quick wipe and scrub with soap and water but the point of dish soap is to remove burned, baked on food and grease which is what seasoning is.

Soaking in dish soap or using the dishwasher will definitely damage your seasoning. Continuous use of dish soap will definitely prevent fresh seasoning from sticking and probably damage your basecoat.

When I finish cooking in my pans, I scrape any food out with a flexible metal spatula, I use old eckos from garage sales because modern spatulas are garbage that compensate for cheap steel by being thicker. If you don't like shopping at garage sales steal one from your grandma, she probably has a few as they never break.

If the pan is clean I just wipe it dry with a towel and spray on some olive oil and wipe it around, you can heat the pan up a bit so it soaks in a bit more oil but it's not necessary.

If the pan has poo poo stuck in there I heat the pan and throw a cup of water in to deglaze it and scrape it with the spatula again. Now If the pan is clean I just wipe it dry with a towel and spray on some olive oil and wipe it around, you can heat the pan up a bit so it soaks in a bit more oil but it's not necessary.

I have a chainmail scrubber and I have used kosher salt but 99% of the time water is all that's required.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I bought the little plastic Lodge scrapers on Amazon for like two bucks. They have 'toothed' side that fits in the Lodge griddle pans as well

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

We're going camping this weekend with our new Dutch oven. I'm definitely planning to make biscuits and we'll probably cook bacon and eggs. Anyone have any favorite camping Dutch oven recipes?

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude

ColdPie posted:

We're going camping this weekend with our new Dutch oven. I'm definitely planning to make biscuits and we'll probably cook bacon and eggs. Anyone have any favorite camping Dutch oven recipes?

Chicken and dumplings. Chili verde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

ColdPie posted:

Dutch oven cobbler. Butter the bottom of the dutch oven. Pour in a big can or two small cans of pie filling. Pour a bag of cake mix on top in a layer of even depth. Slice up a stick of butter and put slices on top distributed roughly evenly. Cook until bubbly.

Beef burgundy

Chili