Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Did 10 miles today further exploring the abandoned park I found at the start of summer. Hit a new part and found two large quarry ponds that look to be deep as poo poo. Also found an old roadway and the remains of a bridge across the Pax river. Being labor day we actually ran into some people, all either on dirtbikes or muddin trucks. Caught six different fish species and had a snake hit at my lure.

Also really sick of ticks and greenbriar, kinda excited for fall and long pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Dutymode posted:

RMNP and Longs Peak

I was down at the bottom of Longs Peak the past couple weekends, might have seen you as a speck on the mountainside.

The amount of people on the trails in CO is pretty boggling for someone who's used to the isolation out East. In parks like SNP or GWNF its pretty easy to get on a trail and not see anyone for miles, but in RMNP even when bushwhacking on the upper morraines there were usually a couple of groups within shouting distance on all sides. Still totally worth getting up at 3:30 am in order to snag the last parking spot and get a chance to enjoy the amazing scenery.

Not just limited to RMNP - the top of Bierstadt already had over 100 people on the summit at 9:30 am:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Does anyone have any exclusive hiking in south Florida. Like the only poo poo I can find down here are swamps and wetlands. Like the absolute least appealing places to go. Are there any places I'm somehow missing or is all hot muggy garbage down here?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The amount of people on the trails in CO is pretty boggling for someone who's used to the isolation out East. In parks like SNP or GWNF its pretty easy to get on a trail and not see anyone for miles, but in RMNP even when bushwhacking on the upper morraines there were usually a couple of groups within shouting distance on all sides. Still totally worth getting up at 3:30 am in order to snag the last parking spot and get a chance to enjoy the amazing scenery.

Not just limited to RMNP - the top of Bierstadt already had over 100 people on the summit at 9:30 am:

jesus christ I thought new hampshire was bad

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Swamps and wetlands rule. Why do people climb hills? To look down into valleys. Skip the climb and just hike in the valley imho.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

That looks as bad as Monadnock. I'd be curious to know how many it gets annually, might give the 'nad a run for its money.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

As a counterpoint, we were the only ones on Mt. Whitney summit Thursday evening, save for an old-timer finishing off JMT who was determined to spend the night up there. Once our trail overlapped JMT/PCT, the volume of people really spiked. A ranger on the way down the next day told us that they are running into permit issues on JMT for the first time ever. I guess High Sierra's status as a stepchild trail really helps keep its popularity in check. That's just fine with me. More trail for ourselves.

This hike was a great test run for our group dynamic as well. I'm looking forward to some other stuff in the coming summers like maybe Wonderland trail in Washington or some kind of a 7-10 day hike in Glacier.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I hiked around Pictured Rocks over the weekend. The normal parking lot was jam packed so everyone lined up on the road. Seeing as it's a nasty one lane road it didn't take long to clog up. Luckily a NPS Ranger was going down the line with a tow truck and pulling anyone who parked like an idiot to the end of the line. At first I thought they were towing them away, then I realized that'd be a dick move seeing as it's at the end of a 5 mile dirt track.

It was still crazy packed. The Coast Guard was out as there's a pontoon rental place and every beach and cove was filled with loving pontoon boats.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Hungryjack posted:

As a counterpoint, we were the only ones on Mt. Whitney summit Thursday evening, save for an old-timer finishing off JMT who was determined to spend the night up there. Once our trail overlapped JMT/PCT, the volume of people really spiked. A ranger on the way down the next day told us that they are running into permit issues on JMT for the first time ever. I guess High Sierra's status as a stepchild trail really helps keep its popularity in check. That's just fine with me. More trail for ourselves.

This hike was a great test run for our group dynamic as well. I'm looking forward to some other stuff in the coming summers like maybe Wonderland trail in Washington or some kind of a 7-10 day hike in Glacier.

Yeah it's getting a bit bad. Again I keep hoping things will settle down a bit eventually. Starting to get of the opinion that people who go around and make movies or write books in order to bring attention to places like that are causing more harm than good at this point. That said, the Sierra's are a popular spot and are within driving distance of several large populations.

What kind of permit issues was the ranger talking about? Like people hiking it without permits? Or just that it's getting so much harder to get a permit with so many people trying for one?

Didn't see very many people on my High Route trip but that's not incredibly surprising. We had a campsite with the whole area to ourselves every night except the one we stayed in LeConte (which we didn't expect to have to ourselves)

I need to get around to posting pictures

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

And here I am recalling the day I encountered 20 people on a summit at one time thinking that was nuts.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
So it looks like nymph ticks can burrow through wool socks. Would like calf high pantyhose keep them out? Does anyone make calf-high pantyhose?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

bongwizzard posted:

So it looks like nymph ticks can burrow through wool socks. Would like calf high pantyhose keep them out? Does anyone make calf-high pantyhose?

Maybe if it was soaked in permethrin. Same with your socks, though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The worst part? That morning I literally hand my hand extend to pick these poly knee-socks that I treated last year. But no, it was such a nice day, too nice to be hot. Let's wear these low-cut wool socks.

Everything is getting a spray next time. This is also a good excuse to buy some DT socks just for hiking, so I can immediately ID and sort out the treated socks while doing laundry.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Yooper posted:

I hiked around Pictured Rocks over the weekend. The normal parking lot was jam packed so everyone lined up on the road. Seeing as it's a nasty one lane road it didn't take long to clog up. Luckily a NPS Ranger was going down the line with a tow truck and pulling anyone who parked like an idiot to the end of the line. At first I thought they were towing them away, then I realized that'd be a dick move seeing as it's at the end of a 5 mile dirt track.

It was still crazy packed. The Coast Guard was out as there's a pontoon rental place and every beach and cove was filled with loving pontoon boats.

Yeah I was up there a few weeks ago and can't believe how packed it was. I recall going up there 15 years ago and not seeing a soul outside of the waterfalls. Now it seems to be the only other place people hike besides the porkies and the MRT downstate. It's like they only choose from 3-4 locations. Plenty of solitude elsewhere.

For Michigan the amount of people there (as well as the drat kayak tours) is unbelievable. I think the place is nice and all but there's far better and more challenging places here in the state.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I'm still writing up the trip report, but a few photos from last week's hike.

I look like the drat Crocodile Hunter

Skinny dipping at 10,000' in Precipice Lake

Fuzzy berry-eater on the trail

Watch out for sketchy bridges

In and around the lake, mountains come out of the sky and they stand there

Sunset on Mt. Whitney summit

Group photo descending to the portal

This happened about 100 yards from where the trail ended. Not shown: a cooler full of cold beers.

The next day, in Death Valley, we found U2's Joshua Tree.

Death Valley IPA in Death Valley.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Nateron posted:

Yeah I was up there a few weeks ago and can't believe how packed it was. I recall going up there 15 years ago and not seeing a soul outside of the waterfalls. Now it seems to be the only other place people hike besides the porkies and the MRT downstate. It's like they only choose from 3-4 locations. Plenty of solitude elsewhere.

For Michigan the amount of people there (as well as the drat kayak tours) is unbelievable. I think the place is nice and all but there's far better and more challenging places here in the state.

What are you thinking of? I'm a MI native and haven't been back to hike for several years, but I've had a trip on my radar to show my wife some cool parts of the state because I've never taken her outside of metro Detroit / Ann Arbor. I was thinking about hitting spots like Sleeping Bear, Porkies, and Pictured Rocks (considering Isle Royale but probably too much of a pain in that kind of trip). All of those are obviously big tourism spots that I remember visiting as a kid so I'm definitely interested in calmer options.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I spent the weekend in Blowing Rock, NC and made a morning of hiking to Macrae Peak on Grandfather Mountain. It was the most fun hike I've ever done. Anyone in the southeast have any suggestions for other similar hikes? We've done Crowders Mountain and Max Patch as well and are looking for some new spots.

It couldn't have been a more perfect day for it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bongwizzard posted:

And yet you keep wondering why we like the high country

it's because it's really cool

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hungryjack posted:

I'm still writing up the trip report, but a few photos from last week's hike.

I look like the drat Crocodile Hunter

Yeah I'm absolutely doing the High Sierra to Whitney next summer, if those dreams about a months-long through-hike don't come true again. I would probably camp a couple nights in Kings Canyon and then hike it in 6 or 7 days.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

What are you thinking of? I'm a MI native and haven't been back to hike for several years, but I've had a trip on my radar to show my wife some cool parts of the state because I've never taken her outside of metro Detroit / Ann Arbor. I was thinking about hitting spots like Sleeping Bear, Porkies, and Pictured Rocks (considering Isle Royale but probably too much of a pain in that kind of trip). All of those are obviously big tourism spots that I remember visiting as a kid so I'm definitely interested in calmer options.

Porkies are still nice, backcountry campers now have to check in ahead of time now I believe, but it's not nearly as crowded out in the middle of the park.

Almost anywhere that isn't the Pic Rocks along the NCT in the UP ( my goal is to do it all at once in a year or two). The Trap Hills and west end are gorgeous and if you catch the big whitewater rivers like the Black or Presque Isle with water you'll have phenomenal waterfalls to boot.

Isle Royale is always great and I've been there 3 times and it never seems to get busy, which is wonderful. However anything less than a week spent there is criminal. And I suppose the distance and planning cut back on crowds. Expect an older crowd at Rock Harbor though. But I seem to meet the most interesting people there. I even have a story about partying down with the park super at Mott Island when I was younger. That was wild.

Anyways, there's also the Jordan River pathway that's gaining in popularity but is a great trip.

One of my favorites is the High Country Pathway but it's a bit tougher as water is surprisingly scarce for MI and the trail can either be well maintained or lost in logging roads or just forgotten completely. But it's a great 40 or so miles.

A lot of the NCT in the lower P seems alright, but I'd start at the Midland to Mackinaw trail that a few (very very few) maintain if you're looking longer distance close to home.

But I'm also selling short a lot of the state parks and yes, the popular trails. They're popular for a reason whether it's ease, scenery, or location from metro areas but all are indeed worth the trip. And to be frank even on those (maybe Pic Rocks is the exception) you won't see all that many people. We take the kids out all the time and even state/metro parks we'll be lucky sometimes to see 20 or more people.

Also Negwegon State Park is a secret and should remain that way. Pretty much 5 whole backcountry campsites on Huron in the park. There's old orchards and ancient fish weirs and gorgeous beaches. It's awesome. I forget the State Park you need to go through to reserve a site (Aloha maybe?) but it's a great weekend trip.

Oh,
Hoist Lakes is another one. Fishing pressure can be high on the big lake though.

I could go on.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

McCormick Tract and Craig Lake State Park are both excellent spots for low tourist density. If you're into mountain biking there's some good trails for that in Copper Harbor. Though I'm a bit miffed that it's bike only, no hiking.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks guys, those are a lot of great spots to look into! I'm shamefully unfamiliar with the UP.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I spent the weekend in Blowing Rock, NC and made a morning of hiking to Macrae Peak on Grandfather Mountain. It was the most fun hike I've ever done. Anyone in the southeast have any suggestions for other similar hikes? We've done Crowders Mountain and Max Patch as well and are looking for some new spots.

Check out Linville Gorge.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Midniter posted:

One of my first hikes ever as a kid was on Grandfather Mountain.

Where is your home location? As suggested the Linville Gorge (my grandfather who fought on WW1 was born where the picnic area is for Linville Falls) is awesome. Have you done any GSMNP hiking? Mt. LeConte, Rocky Top/Thunderhead, Gregory Blad, Mt Cammerer, and Hemphill Bald all come to mind as good hiking in the Smokies. Also Roan Mountain is amazing (one the best hikes on East Coast). The AT is not too far from Blowing Rock, and plenty of good hikes on it going into Tennessee and Virginia.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

And yet you keep wondering why we like the high country

it's because it's really cool

Fair point, but I would still rather stay home then just endlessly scramble over loose rocks and carry my poop in a baggy.

On the topic of loose rocks, is there footwear that makes walking over say fist-sized rocks for a few hours less awful? I am itching hah! to wander along train tacks more often but walking on the ties is lovely due to the spacing and the fill rock kills my ankles after like an hour.

Clearly not waking in the knee-deep weeds on the sides anymore. At least not in the warmer months.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Alan_Shore posted:

Is it possible to buy two single hammocks and sling them up right next to each other under a tarp? A tent would be easier because it seems there's SO MUCH to know about hanging hammocks (whoopie slings? fancy knots? WHAT) but I've really been sold the idea of a hammock due to weight, quick to set up and being super comfortable. Does anyone have any experience in this area?
eSporks already mentioned it, but the trick to hanging next to each is to set up in a triangle. Then you can combine both your tarps together so you're hanging under the same shelter, or each have your own in case you can't find the perfect spot. Hammocks are very versatile, and it's not like you'll want to be snuggling in a tiny cramped tent after days of smelly hiking anyways.

eSporks posted:

The ENO Atlas straps couldn't possibly be easier to use. Make sure to get the Atlas straps since they are nylon and won't stretch in the middle of the night.
Atlas straps are great, and definitely very easy to use. My personal preference though are Dutch cinch buckles and webbing since it's a lot lighter and just as easy to adjust. Just a quick note on materials though, you want polypropylene based webbing, not nylon. Nylon stretches, poly stuff doesn't. Also, amsteel blue is a great suspension cord with ridiculous strength, but paracord is not because it stretches and has a low break weight. Tech line works great for tarp suspension, especially with Dutch hardware.

On a different note, does anyone bring a guitar with them while camping or backpacking?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 8, 2016

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

ENO Atlas straps are good, but heavy compared to slings. Also, Kammock's straps are 10' each instead of 9' each and the same price in case having that extra 2' matters for getting around fatter trees or trees slightly further apart. Otherwise, they are basically identical. Did you know ENO makes slings as well now?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

On a different note, does anyone bring a guitar with them while camping or backpacking?

Too big and bulky, look into a concert ukulele instead. :)

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

OSU_Matthew posted:

I used to have a Martin Backpacker, but hated the sound, and switched to a ukulele. But then every hipster started bringing one, and I stopped :(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Backpacking no, camping maybe, but don't be that dickhead who keeps playing wonderwall all night. If I'm camping with alone with my dog or my guitar playing buddies then of course. But if it's just friends who want to drink then no.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Just got back from a few days in Yosemite and thanks to whoever suggested Clouds Rest. That was one of the coolest hikes I've done, hardly any people out either. It was fun seeing everyone standing in line up Half Dome.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

marsisol posted:

Just got back from a few days in Yosemite and thanks to whoever suggested Clouds Rest. That was one of the coolest hikes I've done, hardly any people out either. It was fun seeing everyone standing in line up Half Dome.

After Labor Day crowds tend to thin out all over since most people vacation before then. If I did the JMT again I'd probably aim for late September, early October and hope I didn't get hit with a early season snow storm...

Of course the downside to late season backpacking is things are dryer and higher chance of getting smoked out by a wild fire someplace

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

marsisol posted:

:hfive: You are welcome, its a great hike!

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
Camping out in the Berkshires, MA for a music festival next week and I'm new to camping overnight. Any recommendations on a tent that will be good for that, and for future camping trips in the wild? At most, two people would be in it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you're planning to ever do any hiking, go for a backpacking tent. They are lighter and smaller in order to be carried for long distances. You sacrifice space for lightweight but you can car call with it as well. Look for a sub 5 lb backpacking tent tent that fits 2 people. Prices vary from $100 to 300 on average. Rei makes a few 2 person tents in the 150-200 range. They pretty much only fit two people side by side. 2+ and 3 person tents are a nice balance of space and weight if you know you'll be with another person often.

If you're just planning to car camp (not hiking to your camp site) then you can go much cheaper and get a bunch more room. Look at 4 person tents. Rei starts around $100 for the camp dome but you can find cheaper options online. Eureka is a decent less expensive brand. Coleman isn't awful but I don't think of them as making great gear but it will work for a while.

I look at tents as a place to sleep do I'm not big on needing space. Car camping tents are nice because of if it rains, you can hang out inside and play cards sitting up with space for your gear.

Also look for tents that assemble with hooks or clips rather than poles going through fabric sleeves. Pole through sleeve tents are slower to put up, always a pain to slide through and seem to rip eventually.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Verman posted:

If you're planning to ever do any hiking, go for a backpacking tent. They are lighter and smaller in order to be carried for long distances. You sacrifice space for lightweight but you can car call with it as well. Look for a sub 5 lb backpacking tent tent that fits 2 people. Prices vary from $100 to 300 on average. Rei makes a few 2 person tents in the 150-200 range. They pretty much only fit two people side by side. 2+ and 3 person tents are a nice balance of space and weight if you know you'll be with another person often.

If you're just planning to car camp (not hiking to your camp site) then you can go much cheaper and get a bunch more room. Look at 4 person tents. Rei starts around $100 for the camp dome but you can find cheaper options online. Eureka is a decent less expensive brand. Coleman isn't awful but I don't think of them as making great gear but it will work for a while.

I look at tents as a place to sleep do I'm not big on needing space. Car camping tents are nice because of if it rains, you can hang out inside and play cards sitting up with space for your gear.

Also look for tents that assemble with hooks or clips rather than poles going through fabric sleeves. Pole through sleeve tents are slower to put up, always a pain to slide through and seem to rip eventually.

Thanks for the solid advice, Verman!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNGdFBviu00

Welp, it was only a matter of time before there was solid evidence that Canada was turning into the US.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you're car camping for a music festival and have never camped before, I'd definitely go for a car camping tent over a backpacking tent. In my opinion, it's good to have a car camping tent even if you backpack, as we'd never use our backpacking tent car camping. I'll also say I'd rather have a 6 person tent for festivals and the like over a 4, for 2 people. That extra space goes a long way and can mean the difference between being able to stand up in it or not. And when your poo poo gets rained out and you have to spend hours in your tent playing cards or whatever, you're going to wish you had some more space.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I spent 5 hours doing a 10 mile loop today and saw exactly 0 other people.

Word spacing notwithstanding, a very apt sign. This remote little mountain held hidden treasure:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Flambeau posted:

I spent 5 hours doing a 10 mile loop today and saw exactly 0 other people.

Word spacing notwithstanding, a very apt sign. This remote little mountain held hidden treasure:

Buckeyes?

What trail were you on?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Too big and bulky, look into a concert ukulele instead. :)

This is a great idea, thanks!

beefnoodle posted:

I used to have a Martin Backpacker, but hated the sound

Thanks, this is really helpful... I was pretty close to picking one up till you mentioned that, but the concert ukulele sounds great. What kind of case do you guys use? How do you attach it to your pack?

Verman posted:

Backpacking no, camping maybe, but don't be that dickhead who keeps playing wonderwall all night. If I'm camping with alone with my dog or my guitar playing buddies then of course. But if it's just friends who want to drink then no.

This is my number one concern, I just want something quiet to strum at camp, especially just hanging out with people, but not something that would disturb anyone else's solitude, so it'd be very time and location dependant .I just think that would be an incrediblely relaxing feeling, to bring some music along sometimes.