Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Maximo: Ghosts to Glory

Maximo is one of the best 3d platformers ever made. No, really. It successfully combines old school sensibilities and challenges with the then-newfound combat depth and maneuverability of a third dimension. Not a collectathon, not a standard hop 'n bop, it's equal parts hack 'n slash and 2d-turned-3d challenge that'll test your limits. It's everything I could want from a traditionally-styled videogame, and you're unlikely to find another 3D platformer like it.

Tell us more?

I could rant for hours on end about the individual design, the risk-reward system, the way it encourages thoughtful approaches to combat and carefully timed attacks... but why not just show you instead?

About the Let's Play

I'm going to be collecting all four of the Sorceress's kisses, paying to save after every level (which severely limits the koins available to us), and avoid touching purchasable items as much as possible. It should be fun to watch, informative, and show off the game design as thoroughly as I can manage.

Does this game have a story of any kind?

Yes, and I would ask that you please not spoil it. The only thing you need to know going in is that Maximo just got back home to his kingdom as of the opening cutscene, and is very pissed.

Videos

The End

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Limited saves are the devil.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Limited saves are the devil.

Koins are much easier to come by than ink ribbons though

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I remember reading about this game and thinking it was so awesome that I should get it. The problem is that I didn't have a PS2.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

I remember reading about this game and thinking it was so awesome that I should get it. The problem is that I didn't have a PS2.

You could always get Dragon's Lair 3D as a back up plan.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Is the entire game played at a dutch angle?

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014
I love Maximo, but I've never come close to beating it. Probably because I played it as an idiot kid, and never figured out how to save.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was pretty interested in this game as a teen, but then promptly forgot about it almost entirely until now. Interested to see how it translated the Ghouls n' Ghosts experience to the PS2 era.

I can imagine this 'pay to save' thing being a sort of compromise between people who didn't want a save feature and those who realized it's 2 generations too late to think that way.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Strange Matter posted:

Is the entire game played at a dutch angle?

Wow, I literally never noticed that before.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I was pretty interested in this game as a teen, but then promptly forgot about it almost entirely until now. Interested to see how it translated the Ghouls n' Ghosts experience to the PS2 era.

I can imagine this 'pay to save' thing being a sort of compromise between people who didn't want a save feature and those who realized it's 2 generations too late to think that way.

The "pay-to-save" mechanic makes the game more difficult and encourages risk VS reward thinking, which I think was intentional, but you can definitely beat the game without saving.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Wow, I literally never noticed that before.
It actually kinda works though is the funny part; it reminds me of MDK in how it makes the game seem faster and more in-your-face.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A tiny video looking at the Graveyard's hubworld.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Strange Matter posted:

It actually kinda works though is the funny part; it reminds me of MDK in how it makes the game seem faster and more in-your-face.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I remember owning but never beating this game.

I also remember renting and beating the Sequel. Though I forget if I 100%ed that in that binge or not.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Section Z posted:

I remember owning but never beating this game.

I also remember renting and beating the Sequel. Though I forget if I 100%ed that in that binge or not.

I recall the sequel being far easier to 100%, but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Arguably the hardest level of the Graveyard, also the one with the most keys.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I was really hoping you'd LP this game! I beat it and the sequel many years ago, though mostly through sheer cussedness than any actual skill.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Weird that a hub level would be considered a 'level' level, like level 2 in this instance.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Weren't the hub worlds in the Spyro games also levels?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I recall the sequel being far easier to 100%, but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

It definitely seemed that way. It's been a while so I can't recall what, specifically, was eased up outside of having Ye Old "Super mode you never remember to use" (Maybe it let you save just when you wanted to save).

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Oh wow, I've been hoping someone would LP this game and its sequel. Easily one of my favorite series of games. I can't remember much bout the games themselves unfortunately, outside of remembering that those crows are dicks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I love so far is that the music in the levels is a straight remix of the classic Ghost and Goblins theme. Daaaah dah dah~ dah~ dada~dada~dada

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

One thing I love so far is that the music in the levels is a straight remix of the classic Ghost and Goblins theme. Daaaah dah dah~ dah~ dada~dada~dada

This one is pretty kick-rear end

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We are the god of fire

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This is the level where we hit stuff a lot!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We reach our first boss battle, closing out the Boneyard world

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
So what are the end-chapter options beside the kiss? And what does the kiss do?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

cuc posted:

So what are the end-chapter options beside the kiss? And what does the kiss do?

Armor and a save. Armor is, well, refilling an armor unit. And saving is just saving our progress without paying.

The kiss is... for something special.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I almost forgot Ghouls & Ghosts have the Red Arremers, can't wait to see them in 3D.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot Ghouls & Ghosts have the Red Arremers, can't wait to see them in 3D.

I hate to disappoint, but those aren't present in Maximo. Probably because the entire concept behind their design wouldn't work with Maximo's control scheme/3D gameplay.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I hate to disappoint, but those aren't present in Maximo. Probably because the entire concept behind their design wouldn't work with Maximo's control scheme/3D gameplay.

:sigh: That's a bummer.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The world of Maximo just got smellier and wetter

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That end of world cutscene was incredibly badass, with the King granting his failed warrior new life, and then "Now, torture him until he dies!"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

That end of world cutscene was incredibly badass, with the King granting his failed warrior new life, and then "Now, torture him until he dies!"

And then he implies that what he has in store for Maximo is somehow worse.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well, his general only had one life to give. Maximo has 14.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
The fact that there is little to no fanart of Princess Lenore makes me lose faith in the video game community.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

BioEnchanted posted:

Ha, glad I'm not the only one that thought so. This game is really good at establishing the villain as both wastefully powerful and cartoonishly evil.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Cangelosi posted:

The fact that there is little to no fanart of Princess Lenore makes me lose faith in the video game community.

Did you try the usual suspects, like DeviantArt?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
That's probably because the princess' name is Sophia, Lenore is one of the Sorceresses.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The swamp's hub level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Did you try the usual suspects, like DeviantArt?

I did. Only one hit. And it's just a motivational poster of the promotional art.

It is a travesty.

• Locked thread