Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

Apple still officially charges $80 for a standalone remote.

Holy Jesus that is some robbery. Better make sure I don't lose or break mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

averox posted:

Holy Jesus that is some robbery. Better make sure I don't lose or break mine.

The most recent AppleTV still works with the old remotes. So if you have guests or children, banish them from using the expensive one and have them use the old one. The only real limitation is that they can't talk sexy to their TV with the old remote.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arsten posted:

The only real limitation is that they can't talk sexy to their TV with the old remote.

That right? I have not used Siri on the Apple TV ever.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

averox posted:

That right? I have not used Siri on the Apple TV ever.

I use it a lot for dictating username/passwords.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've got that keepass bull going on so I just copy it, open the apple remote app, and paste. Yet another thing I didn't realize you could do with the Siri Remote though.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

averox posted:

I've got that keepass bull going on so I just copy it, open the apple remote app, and paste. Yet another thing I didn't realize you could do with the Siri Remote though.

The Siri Remote has a microphone and a touchy feel panel. That's about it that's new.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I purposely kept my old remote for backup purposes. I do like the new one a lot though, and the volume control is always useful.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I purposely kept my old remote for backup purposes. I do like the new one a lot though, and the volume control is always useful.

Oh, right. Volume controls. My bad.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I went ahead and created an event thread here: Apple Event - September 7th - Pre-, Live- and Post-Discussion Thread.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Nothing specific on the AppleTV or tvOS. I would think that the next tvOS update would come out the same day as iOS 10 and watchOS 3 (9/13) but you never know.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 7, 2016

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Thwomp posted:

Nothing specific on the AppleTV or tvOS. I would think that the next tvOS update would come out the same day as iOS 10 and watchOS 3 (9/13) but you never know.

They released the tvOS GM seed today too, so I imagine it will come up on the 13th as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah it was really weird that they didn't at least say, "tvOS and macOS come out next week too"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Thwomp posted:

ATV3 is getting axed according to some sources. :smith:

https://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/773684184271421440

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

ATV3 is getting axed according to some sources. :smith:

https://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/773684184271421440

Good? The 4th gen is so much better that getting a 3rd gen seems like a complete waste of money to me.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Not entirely unexpected.

They are selling refurb 4th gen AppleTVs now so if you want a discounted AppleTV, $130 is the entry price now ($20 off) and isn't terribly expensive (relatively. The only product Apple sells that's cheaper is the iPod Shuffle which is still being sold and is only $50).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Good? The 4th gen is so much better that getting a 3rd gen seems like a complete waste of money to me.
Both can only show 1080p with no HEVC, and the ATV3 has an optical port. It was fine as a cheaper option, but maybe Apple didn't like the profit margins on it.

(Also, the remote isn't awful.)

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I love my little ATV3 now that I know how to get Airplay working on it properly through my phone and with various Mac applications that convert video files (Beamer worked a treat - thanks thread), though I would understand if you were using it as a lone device how you might not be impressed with what it has to offer.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I have a 3 and a 4. I love both. Benefits if the 3, IMO, are:

1. Optical out, allows for more connection flexibility
2. Remote is subjectively better at some things
3. Netflix interface is far better, IMO

These are small gripes. Overall the 4 is better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If they sold the 4 w/o remote for $50 less that'd be nice especially for getting a second setup.

I have apple remotes coming out the ying yang already and that's without universal remotes, phones, ipads etc..

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Entropy238 posted:

I love my little ATV3 now that I know how to get Airplay working on it properly through my phone and with various Mac applications that convert video files (Beamer worked a treat - thanks thread), though I would understand if you were using it as a lone device how you might not be impressed with what it has to offer.

This, My ATV3 is literally used for plex and Netflix/WWE and occasional youtube hopefully this won't be affected as I don't really need a ATV4

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gaz2k21 posted:

This, My ATV3 is literally used for plex and Netflix/WWE and occasional youtube hopefully this won't be affected as I don't really need a ATV4

I suppose as long as the YouTube and WWE APIs stay unchanged you should be ok, but I wouldn't expect any channel updates for when these things /do/ change. Time is probably running out, but when it stops working for you is going to be entirely with Google and WWE I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's 50/50 on apps that have updated. No idea whether the old ones still work, but WWE is definitely amongst the 'crappy and not changed' lot. Is there still a working HBO app? They were amongst the first I saw to change style but if you can still get a connection, that might be a good sign for the future.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Thwomp posted:

Just noticed the latest update removed the Recently Updates list of apps in the Purchased tab of the App Store.

In case you want to see what changed, you've got to look up the app in the store and scroll down to Version History.

Version history seems to be gone now too. I noticed a few of my apps were updated, but there's really no way to see the changelist for them?

Maybe this is fixed in the tvOS10 release tomorrow.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's quite odd and annoying. I know Plex updated because it now has a cool 'next up' feature that I'd brought up hoping existed in either this thread or the Plex one, but no idea if there's anything else.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
That's exactly what prompted this - I saw Plex had been updated, and wanted to see what's been changed.

I'm really hoping that tvOS 10's ability to search with Siri by saying "Search Youtube for XXXXX" isn't limited to YouTube, and is in fact an open API available to any app with a search function, and that Plex has updated to take advantage of it. I won't hold my breath though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Say, just in case I've missed something, there is no way to play Beats One radio on an aTV3 through an app, correct? I know you can airplay it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OldSenileGuy posted:

That's exactly what prompted this - I saw Plex had been updated, and wanted to see what's been changed.

I'm really hoping that tvOS 10's ability to search with Siri by saying "Search Youtube for XXXXX" isn't limited to YouTube, and is in fact an open API available to any app with a search function, and that Plex has updated to take advantage of it. I won't hold my breath though.

My brain says there's a reason it can't do it, and it's due to the way the library works but I can't remember if that was only an issue for the previous tvOS version.

When you have a bunch of premium TV apps, the Siri search is actually really good so having Plex be part of that would be neat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Say, just in case I've missed something, there is no way to play Beats One radio on an aTV3 through an app, correct? I know you can airplay it.

Not to my knowledge, sorry.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
:lol: tvOS 10 is out and single sign-on is not included. gently caress you content providers!!!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

OldSenileGuy posted:

:lol: tvOS 10 is out and single sign-on is not included. gently caress you content providers!!!

You're kidding me?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wouldn't all the apps need to update to take advantage of it anyways? Is single sign on an API?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I literally can't tell the difference between the previous version and tvOS 10...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I updated the OP last week with expected features of tvOS 10 and yeah, single sign on was expected with tvOS 10. Looks like, per CNET, it's been delayed to later this fall. They attribute it to delays in getting either developers on board (since every app that uses the TV Everywhere service will need to be updated to use it) and/or big content (Comcast, Charter, etc) dragging their feet.

We'll probably know more later this week or, if not that soon, by the time of Apple's (likely)next media event in October.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I literally can't tell the difference between the previous version and tvOS 10...

Mine's dark. Thats all I loving care about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't see why it can't launch and everyone who is ready can use it, and the apps that are dragging their feet can use the terrible old system.

The old system will be only be considered terrible if the new one still lets me use my in laws services too. Otherwise the new one is the bad one.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Feenix posted:

Mine's dark. Thats all I loving care about.

Yep. Since single sign-on doesn't work, and the Siri search I was hoping for doesn't work, dark mode is literally the only thing I'm excited about in this release.

Yay dark mode.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I told Siri to search Youtube for Kayak videos and youtube searched for Kayak videos so I guess mission accomplished.

Also dark mode hooray!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Did the promise of Wii-style motion games ever work out with the new AppleTV? Got a relative who wants something to play games as cardio like Dance Dance Revolution or whatever new version is popular now.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

BGrifter posted:

Did the promise of Wii-style motion games ever work out with the new AppleTV? Got a relative who wants something to play games as cardio like Dance Dance Revolution or whatever new version is popular now.

The remote doesn't have motion controls, just a capacitive touch surface. You can play iPhone-ish games because of this, not like Wii games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I Am Crake posted:

The remote doesn't have motion controls, just a capacitive touch surface. You can play iPhone-ish games because of this, not like Wii games.

That's incorrect. The remote has accelerometers. What it lacks is pointer recognition.

That said, I think there are one or two games that are Wii Sports like but that's it.