Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What Terada said was that the Z originals weren't made with OG in mind, which doesn't necessarily mean they won't show up in OG.

Also that same interview had him being deliberately misleading about a bunch of things like when he said SRW Z1 wouldn't have too many secrets or your team wouldn't fight among themselves

EthanSteele posted:

I did the newbie route! You're auto-locked into Touya route. The prologue stage is all cutscene until the first playable bit is Granteed landing next to Touya's house. You skip the stage that is CompatiKaiser vs Soulsaber or whatever its called. After that it's exactly the same as regular mode except the difficulty is locked to Normal and you get more money and 20k money added on for SR points. There might be some cutscene differences in and around the Granteed arrival stage I haven't done the Touya route in normal mode yet. For scenario chart completion Beginner mode and Normal mode have 100% crossover except for that 1 stage on Touya's route you don't do.

Z is a way off so you have nothing to worry about. Alpha 3 is next game, maybe with W (fingers crossed). If current trend of release order continues its W, then Z1, K, NEO, L and then Z2.

Edit: as far as I know lucky isn't trumped by any spirits. Strike certainly doesn't help and that fat fucker will dodge every hit of a Maximum Break if it procs.

I guess I've never had lucky trigger after casting strike and flash, because that hasn't happened to me yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Montegoraon posted:

Wasn't the word that the Z series wouldn't be included in OG? You know, because of reasons.

No. They only thing they ever said was that Z was not specifically designed with the idea of integration into OG.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Montegoraon posted:

Wasn't the word that the Z series wouldn't be included in OG? You know, because of reasons.

As far as I know the only statement on the matter has been that the originals weren't written with inclusion into the OGverse in mind. Which makes them the same as every OG character before the OGverse existed. MD has a couple of lines that basically yell "here's how Asakim is going to happen" but who knows if it'll lead anywhere.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Asakim turned out so terrible it will hopefully be more interesting when its actually tied into Masaki.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering Cybuster is literally powered by evil now I expect they'll somehow tie that into a version of Asakim

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That's pretty much what I'm after with the inclusion of the Z guys. Z3 is such a mess that bungles Asakim completely and I'd hope they would do much better with a second attempt.

GimmickMan posted:

I guess I've never had lucky trigger after casting strike and flash, because that hasn't happened to me yet.

It was awful. I did Strike and Smite and he just wobbled out of the way of the MB damage, Grungust Kai, Grungust Type 2, HTB and RHB.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Most original storylines and characters are improved when they do get to OG.

Except the R crew, who nobody in the writing team cares about. And maybe the GC cast, given what I've heard about them in this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

Most original storylines and characters are improved when they do get to OG.

Except the R crew, who nobody in the writing team cares about. And maybe the GC cast, given what I've heard about them in this game.

*coughAXELcough* *hackcoughKUSUHAcough*

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Axel has done nothing but get jerked off by the writers since OG2. Get over it.

They've been slowly trying to fix Kusuha, though there's still an annoying lack of Bullet getting kidnapped.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

Axel has done nothing but get jerked off by the writers since OG2. Get over it.

The post OG2 Axel isn't actually any better a character, he's just less of an rear end in a top hat. The fact they tied him so heavily to Alfimi and Beowulf just makes him feel like Evil Kyosuke, later Vegeta Kyosuke.

Honestly anyone who ends up tied to the ever-increasing ATX Team plot ends up worse for it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Touma was just there in @3, but in OG he's worse because his existent plot was "bums around the ship and harasses Minaki until she just gives him her dad's robot."

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Speaking of Alpha 3 originals what happens with Selena and who were those people who rescued her? I didn't take that route but I saw some video of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly Sanger's plot didn't come out too great either, he's offscreen for most of both games until he gets Dygenguard and then he just sort of hangs out. Woden got most of the @G Sanger plot but Sophie Nate never went full batshit so it just kind of was... she got kidnapped and rescued?

Arado does okay but Seolla ends up dragged along way too long.

I honestly like Mai's plot less than the Alpha version but that's kind of already kind of there in Alpha 3.

... honestly I dislike a lot of OG plot changes, thinking on it. :smith:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I hope Alpha 3 is next because it's been 5 games and I want Banpreios already

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Speaking of Alpha 3 originals what happens with Selena and who were those people who rescued her? I didn't take that route but I saw some video of it.
Those people are the FDX Team. From what I've read about them, they are kind of the SRW equivalent of DC's Suicide Squad, a team of mech pilots created sent on very dangerous missions that the military doesn't want to spend valuable resources on (like the Steel Dragons). Just minus the whole "everyone on the team are convicted criminals/supervillains" part. And no Amanda Waller equivalent in charge of the team, too. As for Selena, that was basically her Alpha 3 backstory (Team Jelba murdered by Spectra), just done on screen this time much like how they did Foglia's death in OG Gaiden.

ImpAtom posted:

Arado does okay but Seolla ends up dragged along way too long.
That particular plot is also not helped by OG2 presenting opportunities to end Arado's plot line in a neat and simple fashion, but then pulling a plot extension from some dark corner of its rear end in what comes off as padding the run time. I mentioned it in Seyser Koze's LP, but the "Scarlet Illusion" stage is designed as a perfect place for Seolla to be rescued and set in motion the finishing touches on Arado's plot. But nope, we have wait until the "breather stage after a super big plot event" 4 stages later to get Seolla back, then wait 3-4 more stages to actually finish the plot.

If anything, I'd say OG does not know how to balance the adapted storylines. Some get a lot of focus or more than they need to, while others barely register on the radar. Hell, the Guests are a perfect example of a big name villain group getting shunted off to the side like they were nothing, all so the Gaia Saber storyline can get the top billing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Sanger got a fuckton more to do outside of that barebones Alpha 2 plot of his during the entirety of OG. He sort of hangs out in Alpha 2 as well once he is done chasing Kukuru around.

Axel is such a special unique snowflake he even shows up in Endless Frontier. The expanded ATX storyline is whatever but he gets to be a cool standoffish jerk to people who shows up to save the day, which is more than most characters get to do. Also, and this is gameplay rather than story, but the Soulgain has one of the highest base attack power finishers in the game and his skill/spirit sets are insanely good. They really do love Axel and it shows.

Kusuha though... Yeah. But she gets to keep the Ryukooh and the storyline about the Chokijin has been improved with Baral and the Hundred Evils being more fleshed out. It's weird because she gets the short stick on a personal level but the lore around her is better. Also she had a rival in Kanan, I guess.

They tried to give Seolla something more with the introduction of the Argent class in OG2nd but, well, they were mostly just big jerks that got blown up. They clearly cared more about taunting Seolla than Arado or Latooni, and I was hoping Seolla would start a program to look after the remaining school kids afterwards or something. Oh well, still better than just being there I guess.

Mai got more or less rewritten but now she pretends to be a super robot pilot and that's cool with me.

Ibis is one character I'm torn about, because she had to suck for two games and a half before getting her upgrade and Sleigh is a pointlessly huge bitch in OG, but then you do get the Hyperlion and it is the most satisfying upgrade stage in the series since the first combination of the SRX. I will fight anyone who disagrees.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Sanger is hurt most of all by the A2 protagonists all existing simultaneously because it means Irui shares her Parental Figures plot-line and that is the best thing about Sanger but it ends up feeling less relevant to him because they spread it out instead.

They love Axel but that doesn't particularly make him a good adaptation and I honestly think Special Snowflake Evilsuke is boring as hell regardless of how strong he is. I get why they did what they did and I'm normally in favor of more crossover but the hamhanded retcon step-back after they decided to use evil Axel in OG2 has lingered ever since.

Edit: I should note that my opinion of Sanger is "Sanger and Ratsel retire to a cabin to raise their magic god daughter" is something I'd prefer more than "Sanger yells and swords something yet again."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 7, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I agree there. Her one scene of making coffee for Sanger was a lot less adorable since Irui was the one looking after her for the most part.

We should have had four Iruis.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
There's still time for the boys to retire with Irui! Just have to wait until literally the end of the OGverse!

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

GimmickMan posted:

Ibis is one character I'm torn about, because she had to suck for two games and a half before getting her upgrade and Sleigh is a pointlessly huge bitch in OG, but then you do get the Hyperlion and it is the most satisfying upgrade stage in the series since the first combination of the SRX. I will fight anyone who disagrees.

I didn't even realize that the Tesla Drive Missles were a secret unlock since Ibis proceeded to solo the entire map after the Hyperlion combination.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ibis was barely able to get her 50th kill before that stage for me. She was really struggling even in the Altairlion.

By the end of the stage she was my top ace and she didn't need any help during it. :unsmith:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sanger was fun in Alpha Gaiden and really uninteresting in everything else

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
He and Ratsel are both memes so they'll never die no matter what any of us think.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm okay with Sanger not having any story, because he's not really built to need one. He yells, he swords, he yells about swords.

Most of The School kids and the non-Kusuha Alpha 2s have stuck around past whatever plot they had, though. And that does bother me. If I'm honest, I don't think I have ever cared about Arado, and now he's not even doing anything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The English version of MD did give me a new sense of appreciation on just how bad the cast is these days. Everything is massive and diluted at this point. OG1 and OG2 felt like an adventure. MD feels like a bad military campaign filled with dumbos who are mostly along for the ride cause they have nothing better to do than blow poo poo up (not that anything is wrong with that)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't feel like I missed too much by getting the cliff notes versions of the previous games in hindsight.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Caphi posted:

Touma was just there in @3, but in OG he's worse because his existent plot was "bums around the ship and harasses Minaki until she just gives him her dad's robot."

Makes more sense than giving the pizza delivery boy a giant robot within 5 minutes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KoB posted:

Makes more sense than giving the pizza delivery boy a giant robot within 5 minutes.

I'd like Touma a lot more if he was OG Philip J. Fry.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I waited 10 years for Ibis' storyline to pay off, I can give Touma a few more considering his plot hasn't really started yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd like Touma a lot more if he was OG Philip J. Fry.

A friend of mine named the Alpha Numbers "Planet Express" during her A3 Touma playthrough.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Rascyc posted:

The English version of MD did give me a new sense of appreciation on just how bad the cast is these days. Everything is massive and diluted at this point. OG1 and OG2 felt like an adventure. MD feels like a bad military campaign filled with dumbos who are mostly along for the ride cause they have nothing better to do than blow poo poo up (not that anything is wrong with that)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't feel like I missed too much by getting the cliff notes versions of the previous games in hindsight.

I think the scale of what goes on in 2ndOG and how it all shakes out makes it way more like the OG1 and 2 style adventure. MD feels like a bad military campaign to you because it is a bad military campaign. You mostly get ordered around while a dude goes "what do I do? Ask HQ for advice" compared to 2ndOG spending most of the time on the run fighting mythological Chinese creatures and demons and universe destroying badfeel monsters. Almost everyone has a reason to be there, even Arado. 2ndOG is super good and you should play it using the full translation! I think the only thing it does worse than MD is not have the ability part purchasing and being only in Japanese.

I know that not every game can be a ridiculously huge, epic tale of adventure and justice, but MD definitely feels like a Gaiden compared to OG1, 2 and 2ndOG.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 8, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What full translation?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
http://2ndsrwoge.com/#chapters is a line for line translation of the entire story of 2ndOG. Doesn't have all the pre-battle dialogues for people, but it has the important ones.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
How do I play these games without knowing Japanese?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Charlie Bobson posted:

Several of them are available in English (Super Robot Wars OG and OG for the GBA and Super Robot Wars Moon Dwellers got English releases. Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden and Super Robot Wars J both got fan translations.)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Once you've played one in english they're all pretty much the same menu wise so navigating and playing is easy once you know what the things are.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Yeah, SRW recycles gameplay worse than Call of Duty does, but we're not here for the gameplay.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Whatever it takes to get to the pretty pictures.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I legitimately like SRW gameplay a lot. They're pretty unique SRPGs and a lot of them have some kind of game specific mechanic even if the core gameplay is the same.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Charlie Bobson posted:

There are two answers. First, what people say above - You can start with the English translated games, and use those as a springboard into Japanese-only games if some of them pique your interest. Once you've played one, you've basically played them all.

Second - Katakana, the writing used for most robot, weapon, and part names in these games, is not hard to piece together. If you learned the English alphabet at 5, you can learn a basic Japanese alphabet as a grown adult without much trouble. You can use something like this handy dandy chart and muddle your way through name lists. That said, most of the modern games eliminate the need for even this by adding thumbnail images of robots next to every name in a list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

WrightOfWay posted:

I legitimately like SRW gameplay a lot. They're pretty unique SRPGs and a lot of them have some kind of game specific mechanic even if the core gameplay is the same.

:same:

Super Robot Wars is one of the oldest SRPG series around and has some unique elements that I can't spot anywhere else.

• Locked thread