Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Back in the late 1950s or so my father worked as a surveyor for Iraqi Petroleum, mapping out desert for potential oil stuff later on. He lived in a tent for weeks at a time and he and his crew drove around in Chevy pickups everywhere. He also brought his camera and took some pics. I thought folks would like to see some shots he took of them working. I posted these years ago on SA.

Post more. Sooner than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Methanol-burning rotary Starlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiPs_Dej-Kw

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Uhhhhh Those noises coming out of that little shoe. I always wanted to slap a sho motor in a fiesta but I could never find one that wasn't rusted out.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Proper sort of noises. And some people say rotaries sound horrible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I was wondering when the Ecotec would get more popular. A crate motor is downright cheap and it seems like the electronics are more open than most.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

mekilljoydammit posted:

Fuel distributor; the pump is a separate piece or sometimes is just electric. It's actually kind of a clever system. There's a drum spinning with two ports inside another one with a bunch of ports, with a little shuttle that goes back and forth in the inner drum, and a cavity on either side of the shuttle with stops to limit how far it moves. So when it's injecting, fuel from the engine's mechanical fuel pump is going in one port and the other port is open to one of a bunch of holes that each goes to an injector; it only injects as much fuel as was put on that side last cycle, and a cam driven by throttle position or manifold vacuum moves one of the stops and thus the total amount of fuel on either side. So you've got sequential fuel injection with no electronics.

*quickedit* As if that wasn't British enough? The Cosworth BDA is basically a cheapened version of the FVA, which was kind of a testbed for the DFV Formula 1 engine built with a shortblock derived from a Ford economy car engine from the 50s, and the rope drive bit is there because they were too lazy to find a better place to put the injection bits.

This is so rad, thanks for explaining that.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

That's my friend's car. It's really well put together. Back when I had my STi it was almost as fast as me on autocross courses, but he has done a bunch of stuff since then.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

mekilljoydammit posted:

Fuel distributor; the pump is a separate piece or sometimes is just electric. It's actually kind of a clever system. There's a drum spinning with two ports inside another one with a bunch of ports, with a little shuttle that goes back and forth in the inner drum, and a cavity on either side of the shuttle with stops to limit how far it moves. So when it's injecting, fuel from the engine's mechanical fuel pump is going in one port and the other port is open to one of a bunch of holes that each goes to an injector; it only injects as much fuel as was put on that side last cycle, and a cam driven by throttle position or manifold vacuum moves one of the stops and thus the total amount of fuel on either side. So you've got sequential fuel injection with no electronics.

And that's also how the Lucas mechanical electricity pump works as well.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

mekilljoydammit posted:

*quickedit* As if that wasn't British enough? The Cosworth BDA is basically a cheapened version of the FVA, which was kind of a testbed for the DFV Formula 1 engine built with a shortblock derived from a Ford economy car engine from the 50s, and the rope drive bit is there because they were too lazy to find a better place to put the injection bits.

drat, that's pretty cool.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

I was wondering when the Ecotec would get more popular. A crate motor is downright cheap and it seems like the electronics are more open than most.
$2800 isn't too bad, slap a turbo on that and have some fun. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19177026

Wish they would crate their 1.0 liter 3 cylinder engine

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

I've never been a rotary guy, heard too many horrible ones growing up in NZ in the 90's. Between that Starlet and the Sweet Chili Heat... I may be coming around.

Stupid Ford Granada with apparently a 1700hp Koenigsutygelwgfvbshjdbfvahkjgggg motor

slothrop fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 8, 2016

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Terrible Robot posted:

drat, that's pretty cool.

I was kinda obsessed with mechanical fuel injection for a while, does it show? Even cooler was the Kugelfischer, which was a full 3d RPM vs TPS Alpha-N sequential injection setup done purely mechanically, that injected at enough pressure you can (and Mercedes did) do direct injection with it. The Lucas system was more of a compromise in that, as implemented, the amount injected only depended on throttle position (in racing form) or manifold vacuum (in the rare OEM applications) and didn't have RPM as a variable.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I have the most appropriate erection.

Seriously, that thing is amazing. And the license plate is the icing on the cake.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

G-Mach posted:

That's my friend's car. It's really well put together. Back when I had my STi it was almost as fast as me on autocross courses, but he has done a bunch of stuff since then.
It's rad as hell and I'm very jealous of your friend's car.

..why can't MY 2.0L engine get more than 115hp? :smith:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NitroSpazzz posted:

$2800 isn't too bad, slap a turbo on that and have some fun. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19177026

I can't wait for FiSTs and FoSTs to start showing up in the picknpull with 1.0s in them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Or you could buy the one that came with the turbo on it for $3500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pontiac-Solstice-Sky-Ecotec-LNF-LDK-2-0L-Turbo-Engine-Brand-New-RWD-/171040302671

kastein posted:

I can't wait for FiSTs and FoSTs to start showing up in the picknpull with 1.0s in them.

LKQ already has em with 6k kms for $975, even at $250 at a pick-n-pull you're never going to see that value.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-15-Ford-Fiesta-1-0L-Motor-Assembly-6K-Miles-OEM-/191958309835?hash=item2cb19b5bcb:g:Ln4AAOSw-kdXxjfA&vxp=mtr

A new ECU is $100, too. The 2.0 ecoboost crate lists at like $8k. You'd be better off buying 2 1 liters and building yourself an I6.

e: on their website they have it listed at $1000 cad, that's only $775 USD right now. You can't afford not to have it!

edit: first/second gen falcons weighed 700lbs less than the 1.0 ecoboost focii, even with iron block/head i6s in them. throw the 6 speed from a fuckered RX8 behind a 1.0 ecoboost and stuff it in a 2 door falcon for a 40mpg classic. $800 for the engine, $400 for the trans. Could be cheap, awesome cruising.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 8, 2016

Dead Jedi
Oct 25, 2010

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

egg.

You got the "Koenigs" part and you just needed to finish it with "egg."

Koenigsegg.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

There was a very very long running build thread on this on some forum I was following and eventually lost track of. Good to see that thing actually got done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nuevo posted:

There was a very very long running build thread on this on some forum I was following and eventually lost track of. Good to see that thing actually got done.

I adore those boxy looking 80's Euro Fords so much.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Oh man, this is fantastic. 100% my jam.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Oh man, this is fantastic. 100% my jam.

It's amazing that they even airbrushed the arm of the scoop. And it's practical as well. Dig the hole drive forward slam it in reverse and slam on the brakes.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Somewhere half inch steel mounts to sheet metal a few mils thick on that.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Turns out my pal with the XJ220 also has a delivery miles XJR-15. Only delivery miles car in the world we think.
Will try and get over and do some pics and bits next summer!

Also here are some Alfa things I love this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gEdJmIVqLY

This lap is hilariously Alfa for 3 reasons:

They couldn't be arsed to set the gopro up properly
The test driver is wearing a T shirt
It's hilariously out of control in points

All in all, 5 Alfas. Would watch again!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

Turns out my pal with the XJ220 also has a delivery miles XJR-15. Only delivery miles car in the world we think.

Why do people do this?

What is the point?

"I have a super fancy rare awesome supercar, and I'm proud to say that I literally have never driven it"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Prestige mostly. If you're the only one on the planet with a specific model that has 1 mile on the odometer you probably think you've won the game.

Plus if you ever have to liquidate you can sell it for hilarious money.

Not how I would do things, but people can live however they want.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's getting recommissioned. Just like his xj220 was. That has 700hp now and he's put something like 20k on it btw.

He's happy to take it literally anywhere...

I guess the 15 will be harder to "unbox" if someone offers X millions though. As would it for anyone.
Plus the XJ is a much much better road car anyway and his 964RS or 993RS more fun on track!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

:eyepop: where do I sign my soul away for this

My brother, upon me sending him the link: "it's like a swiss army knife for getting rid of dead people"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

My brother, upon me sending him the link: "it's like a swiss army knife for getting rid of dead people"

I can't believe you people don't remember this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Garage_%22The_Curse_of_the_Hearse%22

e: apparently it sold at barret jackson in 2008 for $7,700.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 9, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

kastein posted:

I hope the arm/bucket flattens into a slide so you can jettison the casket into the fresh hole Evel Knievel style

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCk6dCB5b4

Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

driving 11/10ths on the ring

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCk6dCB5b4

Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

driving 11/10ths on the ring

Look up like 2 posts haha

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Powershift posted:

LKQ already has em with 6k kms for $975, even at $250 at a pick-n-pull you're never going to see that value.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-15-Ford-Fiesta-1-0L-Motor-Assembly-6K-Miles-OEM-/191958309835?hash=item2cb19b5bcb:g:Ln4AAOSw-kdXxjfA&vxp=mtr

Oh my god, swapping the 1.0 into my Austin Mini just turned into an even better idea.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
This nice car club swung by Alices up in the bay area on their way to a nice drive down highway 1.

Spot the Things

675LT

Oh what's that other thing

Oh it's a gear supercharged 1920s Bugatti race car, out on the road

oh and some other poo poo in the background I guess

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...and I'll take the white RSR clone.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm the wonkily applied vinyl on the windscreen.