Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Can I still downsize to chunked data like before? I'm on the 10gb/month plan but that's far too much and I was planning on going down to like, 4-6 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

As of this announcement, T-Mobile is officially:

Playing chicken with the FCC
Trashing their reputation with vocal nerds
The most expensive carrier base plan for up to 4 lines, not even counting hotspot charges, out of the top 4 carriers.

Not that we needed more evidence after that bizarro rant about the EFF, but at this point there's no escaping that John Legere is a genuinely stupid person.

But he says gently caress in his videos!!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Hey guys seriously can someone explain why this is bad? I get you Gus are saying net neutrality but I don't get it really. I see unlimited and think good so why is it bad? In non nerd talk please

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Are you trolling? In case you aren't:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/t-mobile-ends-cheaper-plans-and-imposes-new-limits-on-unlimited-data/

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Hey guys seriously can someone explain why this is bad? I get you Gus are saying net neutrality but I don't get it really. I see unlimited and think good so why is it bad? In non nerd talk please

It's basically a lovely price for an "unlimited" plan that isn't really unlimited. If you want to watch HD videos over their network they will gladly take your money for that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there any way to use other services like Verizon, but throttle your own video streaming speeds so they don't use up all your data?

I honestly like the Binge On data throttling, I fall in the group that finds it "practically indistinguishable" on my phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Astro7x posted:

Is there any way to use other services like Verizon, but throttle your own video streaming speeds so they don't use up all your data?

Youtube, Netflix, and Plex have data usage limit toggles. Other apps might too.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.pcmag.com/news/347143/t-mobiles-uncarrier-12-unlimited-plans-what-you-need-to

quote:

Is T-Mobile getting rid of all of its other plans?
No. This was the most confusing part of this morning's announcement. T-Mobile's $50 2GB plan and $65 6GB plan will still exist, Sherrard said, although he reserved the right to yank them "over time" and "eventually." The only real immediate change is that the $70 T-Mobile One plan is replacing the previous $95 unlimited plan.

"We'll still have the rest of the Simple Choice lineup, you can still go buy that $50 plan," Sherrard said.

The Simple Choice plans will still be better deals for people who don't use a lot of data, especially because they have rollover data that accumulates from month to month. They'll also be better deals for people who tether their phone to a PC.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The only case where I really see existing customers benefiting at all is one where (a) someone uses a LOT of data on (b) something that isn't streaming music or video (which is already 'unlimited' on many of their plans).

Or, I guess, large families who all have/need phones.

People who want HD video and/or to use a hotspot are obviously going to pay a premium under this plan, but I also can't imagine that most people couldn't get the data use they want cheaper under one of T Mobile's current rate plans. (I sure as hell won't be abandoning the nerd plan until/unless they make me.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Its "unlimited" but the two things that use the most data (HD video and tethering) both cost extra. Its a loving rip off. I wouldn't be surprised if several of the major video providers pull out of binge on over it.

The 6GB plan with bingeon turned off gets you $10 less per month, with plenty of data for almost anybody, and doesn't limit you on HD video or tethering.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

This is interesting, it didn't sound like they were keeping Simple Choice from all the PR news.

But it just makes the new plan make even less sense, since who the hell wants a plan with dial up hot spot speeds and SD video quality to save $25? If you use that much data in non media use, you really want the current unlimited plan, not this new bullshit.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's extreme backpedaling and they've won the gold medal. There's no way that it doesn't have to do with the immediate backlash.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Astro7x posted:

This is interesting, it didn't sound like they were keeping Simple Choice from all the PR news.

But it just makes the new plan make even less sense, since who the hell wants a plan with dial up hot spot speeds and SD video quality to save $25? If you use that much data in non media use, you really want the current unlimited plan, not this new bullshit.

If you have a family of 4, the $65 existing plan is $100 more a month.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
LMBO with my 2 lines for $70 promo with 6GB and data stash paired with a 15% government discount.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I wonder how much longer I can keep my 5 year old plan, $70 for unlimited 4gLTE speeds for 1 line. The equivalent now with Tmobile ONE is $70 (unlimited SD) + $25 (for HD).

I need to check to see if they try to gently caress me over. I don't really tether much, but I wonder if they'll force 2g speeds. That and I need to check to see if I keep 4gLTE speeds up to at least 26 gb.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Man I sure am glad I jumped on the 2 lines unlimited everything +7GB of tether for $100 promo. I'm not letting this thing go ever. No BingeON, no worries about data caps and great service where I live. They won't try to bump me from the plan if/when I get a new phone, will they?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Man I sure am glad I jumped on the 2 lines unlimited everything +7GB of tether for $100 promo. I'm not letting this thing go ever. No BingeON, no worries about data caps and great service where I live. They won't try to bump me from the plan if/when I get a new phone, will they?

Some T-Mobile promos were for 2 years, some were as long as you kept them. I could never keep track of which promos lasted longer than others.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Duckman2008 posted:

Some T-Mobile promos were for 2 years, some were as long as you kept them. I could never keep track of which promos lasted longer than others.

It doesn't matter, when they don't want you to have it anymore they will lie and make you switch.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why do I need to update this stupid T-Mobile Tuesday app every single week?

Tomorrow looks like

-Free Book from Harper Collins
-Vudu Rental
-Lyft Ride
-Frosty

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

bobfather posted:

LMBO with my 2 lines for $70 promo with 6GB and data stash paired with a 15% government discount.

I am kicking myself for not jumping on this one when it was around, but...

FlyingCheese posted:

I'm glad I am on this one. If they ever bump me off this plan it will be goodbye t-mobile.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Whats the easiest way to get a new sim phone number?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

new sim + phone number, new sim for your number, or new number for your sim?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

ilkhan posted:

new sim + phone number, new sim for your number, or new number for your sim?

Yes

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

New number for my sim? Do I need a whole new sim?

I use Google voice as my main number. I moved and I figure I'll get the sim-number with a local area code so I can have a new set of telemarketers and debt collectors call me all day.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress, I accidentally clicked "download now" on this Android 7 update and it destroyed my data cap. I'm trying to find where I can buy another gig of data but it doesn't seem to exist anymore?

edit- I can't buy more data. They restarted my billing cycle as of today so I'm back on data.

Also, I got a new phone number. I was doing this through chat support and didn't realize that I was also on a conference call, which I got cut off from when they switched my number. Oops.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 26, 2016

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So they announced that they are changing the T-Mobile One plan due to the huge backlash

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

HD streaming day passes? What the gently caress?

I can't wait to live every day like I'm on airplane internet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Not much of an improvement. Anyone else get the feeling this was the plan all along.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So it's still an extra 25 for turning off bingeOn and turning on hotspot

How is that different?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ilkhan posted:

How is that different?

You can spend 3 bucks to turn off bingeOn for a day.

Edit: base hot spot speeds got bumped up some too

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 29, 2016

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

How is that different?

Now at least it's _slightly_ better than the current $95 unlimited plan since you get unmetered hotspot instead of 14GB.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

wormil posted:

Not much of an improvement. Anyone else get the feeling this was the plan all along.

T-Mobile is scum and I'm still hoping the FCC comes down on them for this stupid bullshit

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is Deutsche Telekom still trying to sell off T-Mo because they hate it?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ilkhan posted:

How is that different?

Current Unlimited: Price $95

-Unlimited LTE on your phone
-HD or 1440p video streaming on your phone or tethered
-14 GB of LTE mobile hotspot tethering (after which you are throttled to 128Kbps)
-128Kbps abroad

T-Mobile One+: Price $95
-Unlimited LTE
-Unlimited LTE mobile hotspot, no 14 GB limit (3G Speeds)
-Unlimited HD video on your phone (by turning on HD Pass once every 24 hours)
-2x faster speeds abroad (256 Kbps or 3G)

That's the difference between the current Unlimited and the One+ plan right now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wormil posted:

Someone claiming to be tmobile called a newly activated line on my plan (activated yesterday evening) to say thank you (they had my name) and said to tell me the new line wasn't on easypay but I can add it anytime I like. My wife handled the call and just said okay and hung up. I called tmobile and they say it wasn't them, suggested it was a phishing scam, and offered to change the number. But how could someone have gotten all that information that quickly and if it was a phishing scam why didn't they ask for any personal information. According to my wife they just said to pass the information along to me.

Update on this. TM has their head way up their rear end on this one. It was TM that called. Some knucklehead added a $45/month data plan to my account that already has data and the extra plan is being billed separately. They wouldn't allow me to make the change online or in chat, had to be voice so I wouldn't have a written record and they could gently caress it up at their leisure. I'm learning to hate tmobile. I had years of good service until Legere took over.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
TM just texted me and said my 10GB per line grandpaed in family plan was now unlimited until 2019. Not for tethering though. I am paying 150 a month including taxes for 5 unlimited everything lines now $30 each.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Elephanthead posted:

TM just texted me and said my 10GB per line grandpaed in family plan was now unlimited until 2019. Not for tethering though. I am paying 150 a month including taxes for 5 unlimited everything lines now $30 each.

This has been discussed over at Reddit's tmobile forum. Look at the notes about it and you'll see they are removing your "data stash" as well. Apparently data stash is counted against them on their books, so because you're not in a contract they are wiggling out of it. Granted unlimited until 2019 is nice, but that old data stash could be used for anything (including tethering).

It's very shady IMO.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Simplechoice is back on the site

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans.html

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

mAlfunkti0n posted:

This has been discussed over at Reddit's tmobile forum. Look at the notes about it and you'll see they are removing your "data stash" as well. Apparently data stash is counted against them on their books, so because you're not in a contract they are wiggling out of it. Granted unlimited until 2019 is nice, but that old data stash could be used for anything (including tethering).

It's very shady IMO.

I had the 2.5GB simple choice plan without data stash and they added 1 GB to my plan through 2019. It includes tethering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Has TMUS announced any iPhone trade-in program like they've done in the past?