Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 18 - All Around Downtown
We're chillin out maxin relaxin all cool // And all shootin some b-ball with the head of some fool. Also, have you guys heard of this discipline called Auspex? It's OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes, getting your fingerprints all over a severed head at a murder scene is great idea. :)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I have to hand it to Patty's voice actress, she really does a stellar job at making the character immensely irritating even for that short moment you spend talking to her.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

Yes, getting your fingerprints all over a severed head at a murder scene is great idea. :)

It's cool...Bartholomue burnt his off LARPing. Lit up one too many "fireball" hacky sacks shortly before he was banned from the group.

Nordick posted:

I have to hand it to Patty's voice actress, she really does a stellar job at making the character immensely irritating even for that short moment you spend talking to her.

I agree, she pretty much nailed it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 19 - Sewer Slobber
We follow up on the lead given to us by Tin Can Bill and head into the Downtown sewers in search of another plague bearer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hopefully that will be the last of the sewers in the game. :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So are the disease cult a troika invention or are they a "thing" in the WOD?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 20 - Boom, Headshot!
We follow up on the symbol we found in the sewers and finally find an acceptable use for our revolver.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

The fight against Jezebel is really hard for this stage of the game. It could be seen as a warning of how the later parts of the game are going to go, but that's probably unintentional. Also I really love how fire is a genuine obstacle in this game. Since you already know about it it hasn't really shown up in the videos, but you quickly learn that even a little fire like that, that you'd just jump over or run through in another game, is worth avoiding if your body might as well be made out of paper and kindling.

Regarding the cuts, I'm getting really sick of you wondering where stuff is as you walk right past a map. Just look it'll take less time even if you don't edit it out. I'm two episodes behind though, so disregard this if you've already changed your MO.

Nordick posted:

She seemed OK to me. I can see why she'd be a problem for vampires, talking openly about them and stuff, but compared with literally any one of the anarchs, she's much less annoying.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

She seemed OK to me. I can see why she'd be a problem for vampires, talking openly about them and stuff, but compared with literally any one of the anarchs, she's much less annoying.

You're okay with Patty but not with Damsel? I'm sorry but your opinion is just wrong. :v:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

double nine posted:

So are the disease cult a troika invention or are they a "thing" in the WOD?

Gehenna cults are a hell of a thing.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tiggum posted:

but you quickly learn that even a little fire like that, that you'd just jump over or run through in another game, is worth avoiding if your body might as well be made out of paper and kindling.

White Wolf did a lot of weird wanky bullshit with the vampires in World of Darkness, but one thing they did their best to never compromise on was picking a few weaknesses and never ever letting you get past them. Sunlight and fire, those are how you kill a vampire. And there is nothing they can do to get around those except stay the hell away from them. Most vampires survival time in full sunlight would be measured in a few seconds at best and they burn like oily rags. Even the Antediluvians, the progenitors of the Clans who are considered to be the most powerful beings in existence save for Cain himself, can only barely mitigate them for a few minutes at most.

Worse, and not implemented in the game, they both induce Rötschreck, the Red Fear. Even a new vampire that has never encountered sunlight or fire instinctively knows that they can both easily kill her. And so all vampires, from the moment of their turning, are absolutely terrified of both. It's a fear that can be controlled, so long as you only encounter a small source of it. Lighting a cigarette, for example, is unlikely to drive someone into a blind panic. Note that I said "is unlikely to" not "will not". It can happen if a vampire is particularly weak minded. And large sources are far worse. Being, say, surrounded by full sunlight or trapped in a burning building would force even the most controlled Elders to panic.

A vampire that has entered Rötschreck cannot be reasoned with or stopped, short of physically restraining them, which usually results in the injury, or possibly death of everyone involved as the panicking vampire will have no qualms about injuring others, or even themselves, if it means they can get away from what caused the fear. Most vampires believe it to be linked to Frenzy and claim that Rötschreck is also an example of The Beast taking over a vampire, just using a different set of instincts. The flight to Frenzy's fight.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tiggum posted:

Regarding the cuts, I'm getting really sick of you wondering where stuff is as you walk right past a map. Just look it'll take less time even if you don't edit it out. I'm two episodes behind though, so disregard this if you've already changed your MO.

Based on this I have the feeling that there are maps of upper Downtown I can interact with that I haven't been paying attention to because I didn't realize and / or forgot they can be interacted with. I do take the time to look at the Downtown sewer map with mixed results. I get lost easily in games and in life.

I had no idea that was a thing, but it makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

rojovision fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 3, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Check the bus stops if you want maps of the area.

Vampires would flee from a flamethrower then? Just makes the weapon even better, especially indoors. Of course in game they happily charge straight into the flames. But even with a terrible shooting skill it's simply amazing. Against one boss in particular.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Stroth posted:

Antediluvians
Speaking of: A loading screen text in Bloodlines states the Antediluvians are the third generation of vampires. This has always made me wonder, who/what were the second generation between them and Caine, then? Or is this even known?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Nordick posted:

Speaking of: A loading screen text in Bloodlines states the Antediluvians are the third generation of vampires. This has always made me wonder, who/what were the second generation between them and Caine, then? Or is this even known?

Enoch the Wise, who was Cain's advisor and first childe, who sired the Salubri, Toreador, and Malkavian clans. Irad the Strong, who was Cain's general and second childe, who sired the Ventrue, Brujah, Cappadocian, and Lasombra clans. And Zillah the Beautiful, who was Cain's wife and third childe, who sired the Nosferatu, Assamite, and Followers of Set clans.

Though even that's just hearsay and guesswork as according to Vampiric legend the records were lost in the great flood that swallowed the world, which God sent to destroy the Vampiric city of Enoch. Hence why the ones that survived the first city are called the Antediluvians.

Also the third generation totally ate them. Which pissed off Cain to the point that he cursed to poo poo out of all of them, which is where the clan weaknesses come from. So they don't like to talk about it.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 3, 2016

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
With some exceptions AFAIK on black bar. Toreador (Ariel/Ishtar?) was painting something that Caine saw, got pissed, cursed her and said piece was never finished.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I haven't been keeping up with the thread as much as I wanted to, but I can tack on a few things to what's been said.

The Beast is literally just that, the animal instincts of a vampire. Frenzy and Rottschreck are the fight or flight responses to a vampire who's given into the Beast for whatever reason. And while a lighter isn't that likely to cause the vampire to give in to panic, a small flame right in your face from, say, a friendly stranger offering you a light when you weren't expecting it? That'll probably cause someone who's already on edge to slip over. In tabletop terms, it's a Difficulty 4 Courage roll to keep from succumbing. That is, you roll a number of d10s equal to your Courage rating and you get 1 success for every die that's 4+. Fairly easy, even if you're only rolling 2-3 dice, which is about average.

All the clan drawbacks that were mentioned in the beginning (slightly altered for Bloodlines) were actually curses laid upon the clansfor the murder of the 2nd Gen vampires and the Antediluvians that sired them. By that point in Enoch, the city that they'd founded to live among the humans as gods, diablerie was rampant and some of the Antediluvians had fallen to ravenous childer. [Brujah] had (supposedly) been killed and his soul devoured by his childe Troile, for instance. The Assamites were going totally buck wild and offering their aid in subduing elders for a share of the blood. Caine came back and went full wrath of god on them, laying down curses just like the ones the archangels had laid on him. The remaining Brujah would all be struck with Troile's fury, causing the Beast to always be close to the surface. The Nosferatu, who had been obsessed with beauty and all things aesthetically pleasing, were twisted into monstrosities. The Toreador that gathered beautiful art to themselves would have the roles reversed and instead be possessed by the things they found most beautiful.

And then... Caine hosed off. That was the last time (supposedly) that any vampire ever saw him until Gehenna.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Vicissitude posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the thread as much as I wanted to, but I can tack on a few things to what's been said.

The Beast is literally just that, the animal instincts of a vampire. Frenzy and Rottschreck are the fight or flight responses to a vampire who's given into the Beast for whatever reason. And while a lighter isn't that likely to cause the vampire to give in to panic, a small flame right in your face from, say, a friendly stranger offering you a light when you weren't expecting it? That'll probably cause someone who's already on edge to slip over. In tabletop terms, it's a Difficulty 4 Courage roll to keep from succumbing. That is, you roll a number of d10s equal to your Courage rating and you get 1 success for every die that's 4+. Fairly easy, even if you're only rolling 2-3 dice, which is about average.

All the clan drawbacks that were mentioned in the beginning (slightly altered for Bloodlines) were actually curses laid upon the clansfor the murder of the 2nd Gen vampires and the Antediluvians that sired them. By that point in Enoch, the city that they'd founded to live among the humans as gods, diablerie was rampant and some of the Antediluvians had fallen to ravenous childer. [Brujah] had (supposedly) been killed and his soul devoured by his childe Troile, for instance. The Assamites were going totally buck wild and offering their aid in subduing elders for a share of the blood. Caine came back and went full wrath of god on them, laying down curses just like the ones the archangels had laid on him. The remaining Brujah would all be struck with Troile's fury, causing the Beast to always be close to the surface. The Nosferatu, who had been obsessed with beauty and all things aesthetically pleasing, were twisted into monstrosities. The Toreador that gathered beautiful art to themselves would have the roles reversed and instead be possessed by the things they found most beautiful.

And then... Caine hosed off. That was the last time (supposedly) that any vampire ever saw him until Gehenna.

The Assamite's blood-thirst was actually a product of the Baali, I thought?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

rojogames posted:

Based on this I have the feeling that there are maps of upper Downtown I can interact with that I haven't been paying attention to because I didn't realize and / or forgot they can be interacted with.

You finished this entire game without realising you can look at the maps at the bus stops? Well, I guess you're about to find one aspect of the game much less annoying.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tiggum posted:

You finished this entire game without realising you can look at the maps at the bus stops? Well, I guess you're about to find one aspect of the game much less annoying.

You know, now that it's been mentioned I remember looking at them in previous playthroughs. I totally forgot about them though. I'll remember to check the maps in the other neighborhoods if I see them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Stroth posted:

Enoch the Wise, who was Cain's advisor and first childe, who sired the Salubri, Toreador, and Malkavian clans. Irad the Strong, who was Cain's general and second childe, who sired the Ventrue, Brujah, Cappadocian, and Lasombra clans. And Zillah the Beautiful, who was Cain's wife and third childe, who sired the Nosferatu, Assamite, and Followers of Set clans.
Ohhhh right yeah, I always understood the Antediluvians as "the ones who sired the first vampire of each clan", but they were actually the first ones of each clan themselves. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

The Assamite's blood-thirst was actually a product of the Baali, I thought?

Actually, I'm not sure anymore. The v20 book says the Tremere did the acid-blood curse that made it so they couldn't feed on vitae. But I was pretty sure Caine laid a nasty curse on them. Lemme check.

EDIT: Aha! I got it.

The Baali curse gave the craving for blood to the clan to try and sow disorder among their allies.

At one point, Assamites had auras that were stained with black swirls as if they had committed diablerie, even if they hadn't. It was meant to be a warning to all others who looked at them that they were a clan that was dangerous to all cainites. The Assamite clanbook states that this is probably the remnants of "their judge forebears' in the Second City ritual practice of diablerie". I'm guessing Caine came back to discover that they'd turned serial fratricide into a sacred right and made sure everyone knew it.

But this is just the warrior caste. There are three 'bloodlines' of Assamites who are all effected differently. Sorcerers have access to Assamite Sorcery as a 'discipline', but their auras are so suffused with the magic that anyone trying to perceive them with a supernatural power gets a -2 difficulty to do so, and if they use Auspex to try and pierce Obfuscate they count as having one level of Auspex higher. Viziers all have an obsessive-compulsive disorder of some kind, tied to their highest Mental trait, as they get wrapped deeper and deeper into their chosen focus of study. If the traits change, so does the character's focus.

The clan served many others during the Dark Ages, leading up to the Convention of Thorns where the beginnings of the Camarilla were debated and codified. When the Assamites would not join with the 7 founding clans or the 2 opposing clans, it was decided they were too dangerous. That's when the Tremere curse was laid on them that caused the addictive vitae to be deadly to them. That curse lasted until 1998 when Ur-Shulgi woke up and broke it.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 5, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Stroth posted:

Though even that's just hearsay and guesswork as according to Vampiric legend the records were lost in the great flood that swallowed the world, which God sent to destroy the Vampiric city of Enoch. Hence why the ones that survived the first city are called the Antediluvians.

Also the third generation totally ate them. Which pissed off Cain to the point that he cursed to poo poo out of all of them, which is where the clan weaknesses come from. So they don't like to talk about it.

wasn't lilith cain's wife?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

No, he just sort of hung out with her a while and she was a companion who helped him explore his newfound condition of vampirism. He did eventually leave her and being spurned a second time is the reason she and the Lilin have a mad-on for vampires and Caine himself. In fact, one of the scenarios in the Gehenna book is her coming back with her own pack of Antediluvians for revenge.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 21 - Ship Ghosting
We finally get around to doing that thing for the prince.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I think the disappearing thing on the table on the ship's deck was another copy of the police report that guy gave you when you got on board, there for people who don't have the speech skills to make him helpful like that. As for why it disappeared, I dunno the exact cause but I've had the same thing happen to me in the game several times. I'll notice something on the ground, approach to try pick it up and it just poofs out of existence.

Also, having been a part-time dock worker for most of my adult life and thus being somewhat familiar with what it looks like onboard a cargo ship, ship levels in games often make me chuckle at just how wrong they are. I mean it's understandable and not an actual problem or anything, just something that always sticks out to me.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Nordick posted:

not an actual problem or anything

I'm betting that if unrealistic level design was a problem, most sewer workers would go insane.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

double nine posted:

wasn't lilith cain's wife?

They were probably lovers at one point, but it's implied that Cain was just using her for her knowledge and dumped her once he knew what she had to teach.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The flame thrower is the best weapon why wouldn't you pick that. But I think you can buy all three weapons later on regardless. At least I've always been able to.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

The flame thrower is the best weapon why wouldn't you pick that. But I think you can buy all three weapons later on regardless. At least I've always been able to.

Basically for that reason. Once you've got the best there's no reason to use anything else. Not that I couldn't choose to use something else here and there which is something I've done in the past already, but the progression feels a bit more natural this way.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well it burns through ammo like crazy and it's wasted on most enemies as they are easy enough to slash apart. :v:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 22 - Mad Mansion
We catch up briefly with Nines and do the prince yet another favor by making a house call to Grout, the Malkavian primogen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Grout is... not very nice. Given his ramblings (and expressed love of insane asylums) it's not hard to guess why the guards are so hosed up with their berserk attacking, manic laughter and just standing around crying. :gonk:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That tape of Grout talking about the language the vampires use and then catching himself doing it is one of the best bits of dialogue in the game. :allears:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Poil posted:

Grout is... not very nice.
Depends on who you want to compare him to. The average person on the street? Yeah, okay. Just about any other Elder vampire that makes it to primogen? He's actually a really great guy. Yes he does horrible things to people, but he's a psychiatrist from god alone knows how long ago: they did really horrible things to people. It's just what their form of medicine was. At least he's trying to help people.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Yeah, the early alienists were not all progressives in the field. A lot of the time it was lobotomies and solitary confinement. In his time, leeches were still considered modern medicine.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Poil posted:

Grout is... not very nice. Given his ramblings (and expressed love of insane asylums) it's not hard to guess why the guards are so hosed up with their berserk attacking, manic laughter and just standing around crying. :gonk:

I always assumed that they were all his ghouls.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Poil posted:

At the same time, I love how his response to the Camarilla is "What the hell is with these ridiculous edgelords?" and the Cam's response to him is "Holy poo poo, a Malkavian who can dress himself? YES WELCOME MY FRIEND YOU'RE IN CHARGE NOW"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

That's not the Camarilla as a whole that decides. Primogen are decided by popular support from the vampires in the city. Malkavians occasionally get all their ducks in a row on a mad whim and put forward one of their clan for reasons known only to themselves. While everyone else might prefer someone who has a reasonable handle on their madness, that's not always the case. But every clan gets a representative on the council and it's usually, though not always, a member of that clan.

• Locked thread