Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
One time I was visiting Japan and ordered sushi at a restaurant there. The waitress couldn't believe it. She was like "ohhh? You like sushi?"

And I'm like yeah it's actually very popular in the US, which made her smile politely and say "oh really?"

After she brought me my food the waitress hung around to see if it would eat the sushi or if I'd be too grossed out. I poured a little dish of soy sauce and mixed wasabi in. When the waitress saw me dip my sushi in she giggled and said
"Ooh I see! You don' like sushi, you just like soy sauce!"

And I was like "n-no!" and grudgingly ate the rest of my sushi without soy sauce just to prove her wrong.

But actually sushi is much better with soy sauce and gently caress you if you're some kind of sushi purist who scorns people for dipping their sushi.

Oh, also: I hate to break it to you but American Sushi is superior to Japanese Sushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Same with American anime

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JakeP posted:

Same with American anime

:agreed:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
you make a lot of threads op

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gaunab posted:

you make a lot of threads op

Rice meltdown.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

Rice meltdown.

hahaha Japan humor

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
whatever dude they're all loving pedos over there anyway who cares what they think

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

i bet you eat cali rolls like some kind of huge dork

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Applewhite posted:

One time I was visiting Japan and ordered sushi at a restaurant there. The waitress couldn't believe it. She was like "ohhh? You like sushi?"

And I'm like yeah it's actually very popular in the US, which made her smile politely and say "oh really?"

After she brought me my food the waitress hung around to see if it would eat the sushi or if I'd be too grossed out. I poured a little dish of soy sauce and mixed wasabi in. When the waitress saw me dip my sushi in she giggled and said
"Ooh I see! You don' like sushi, you just like soy sauce!"

And I was like "n-no!" and grudgingly ate the rest of my sushi without soy sauce just to prove her wrong.

But actually sushi is much better with soy sauce and gently caress you if you're some kind of sushi purist who scorns people for dipping their sushi.

Oh, also: I hate to break it to you but American Sushi is superior to Japanese Sushi.

Lol you mix wasabi in the soy sauce like an rear end in a top hat.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
why would they have soy sauce on the table if you're not supposed to use it

i cant wait to leer at a little japanese man at a steak house HA HA HA YOU JUST LIKE SALT YOU SILLY SLANT EYED MAN

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

how me a frog posted:

I never do this but I did it for the first time on Tuesday and it was ok

I can see how people would think it's bad though it kinda overpowered the fish.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

im gaye posted:

i bet you eat cali rolls like some kind of huge dork

Cali rolls are objectively the best kind of roll.

how me a frog posted:

Sorry about your sensitive baby tongue and sinuses.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
again, is the wasabi there so you won't use it?

im so gently caress

where does it go?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

LegoPirateNinja posted:

why would they have soy sauce on the table if you're not supposed to use it

i cant wait to leer at a little japanese man at a steak house HA HA HA YOU JUST LIKE SALT YOU SILLY SLANT EYED MAN

It's a trap so they can see who among their own people have been corrupted by gaijin ways.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Cali rolls are objectively the best kind of roll.

called it

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I like those crazy house specialty rolls that are more like burritos than sushi, just pile that poo poo high and feed it into my mouth
they're delicious and got good toppings, who gives a gently caress

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Salt owns. Sodium owns. Glutamate owns. I love my additives!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I like those crazy house specialty rolls that are more like burritos than sushi, just pile that poo poo high and feed it into my mouth
they're delicious and got good toppings, who gives a gently caress

Caterpillar roll is my favorite but I can only ever get one because they're like $13 each.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

im gaye posted:

called it

Oh well shoot I didn't realize we had the queen of sushi here in our humble thread.
What's your favorite roll, your majesty?

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Lol she was loving with you idiot.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
california rolls are disgusting lol

sushi is a treat to have to avoid things like imitation crab

or if you're gonna eat crab eat a loving crab with butter you douchebag

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

shoophobo posted:

Lol she was loving with you idiot.

Well it ruined my lunch.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
no no, said the sushi man, you must leave the shrimp poop guts in, for pure flavor of the sea

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The difference in American Sushi and Japanese sushi is??

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cali rolls are okay when you're getting some cheap stuff from the supermarket but yeah I wouldn't order them at a restaurant.

On that note I don't enjoy goddamn creamed cheese in my sushi and I think this recent trend of 'deep fried' sushi is not very good either; although maybe I just haven't had a good one yet.

e: also Europe sucks dickbags at sushi, and steaks too while I'm at it

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 8, 2016

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

On that note I don't enjoy goddamn creamed cheese in my sushi and I think this recent trend of 'deep fried' sushi is not very good either; although maybe I just haven't had a good one yet.

philadelphia rolls are pretty tasty

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JakeP posted:

philadelphia rolls are pretty tasty

They used to be my favorite but gradually I've come to hate them. I think it has to do with restaurants putting in too much cream cheese.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum
Real talk, one of the best sushi schools in the world is in the LA South Bay. I think it's this one. http://www.sushischool.net/home.php

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

I think this recent trend of 'deep fried' sushi is not very good either; although maybe I just haven't had a good one yet.

Spider rolls are pretty good but it's just the crab that's fried, not the whole roll

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Only americans would even dream of putting cream cheese in sushi rolls but it is god damned amazing fyi.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I like my sushi to have a good schmear

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mdm posted:

I like my sushi to have a good schmear

Now I'm hungry for a sushi bagel which is a bagel with cream cheese, rice, seaweed and salmon.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The best "basic" roll is the rainbow roll, hands down.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rainbow roll is dope.

Sir_Charles posted:

Spider rolls are pretty good but it's just the crab that's fried, not the whole roll

Yeah spider rolls are good and I don't mind some fried ingredients but recently (around here anyway) there's a trend of deep frying the whole drat roll - usually in tempura. I mean I see how it could be tasty but in execution it is exactly the opposite of what I like about sushi; bland flavor and super heavy.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

:skeltal:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Jiro dreams of superiority.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Moridin920 posted:

Rainbow roll is dope.

Yeah spider rolls are good and I don't mind some fried ingredients but recently (around here anyway) there's a trend of deep frying the whole drat roll - usually in tempura. I mean I see how it could be tasty but in execution it is exactly the opposite of what I like about sushi; bland flavor and super heavy.

I've tried a few of these and they're gross. Bland and heavy as you say and also MMMMMM! Somewhat cooked fish! Just no thank you. Even capers can't make me want one of these.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

Rainbow roll is dope.

Yeah that's kinda gross. I don't want to feel like I ate a Big Mac after eating sushi.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

Jiro dreams of superiority.

Actually the Hispanic Sushi woman movie is superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Fun fact: In glorious Nippon, sushi is a finger food and should not be eaten with chopsticks.

• Locked thread