Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vakal posted:

RE4 also has a weird thing where enemies are more aggressive if they are in view of the camera.

You notice this lots in speed runs, especially in the novistador sections where the runners just point the camera at the floor and can usually blindly run through entire sections filled with them untouched.

Huh. That's a clever programming trick. You can't look behind you very well at all in RE4, so having it so that enemies behind you are more lenient is pretty kind of the developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's actually common for a lot of games. Enemies who are off-camera are given reduced priority and aggressiveness in a lot of ways to decrease the chance of 'cheap hits' and so-on. How abusable it is depends on the game but it's pretty common to see with a lot of games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Played Rev 2 episode one a bit. The big axe guys are way too strong, blew all my ammo on the first one and then I ran into another? There must be some trick to this. Also I loving hate Moira, she's a whiny teenager who doesn't do anything but get hit by zombies and whinge about Barry.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Played Rev 2 episode one a bit. The big axe guys are way too strong, blew all my ammo on the first one and then I ran into another? There must be some trick to this. Also I loving hate Moira, she's a whiny teenager who doesn't do anything but get hit by zombies and whinge about Barry.

Ammo is tight in Claire's game for quite a while, especially in the first episode. That said, you can swap to Moira and stun dudes with the flashlight whenever possible, then swap back to Claire and knock them down. A finishing stab usually takes them out or takes a lot of health off.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sakurazuka posted:

PS4 must be in the money side then because I've had more than enough to buy every weapon I've wanted (so everything other than the TMP) and upgrade them all as soon as they were unlocked and I definitely remember having to pick and choose first time through. Though it probably helps that I'm actually collecting treasures this time instead of missing most of them.

I have fond memories of the Steam port, I got something like 8 blue eyes (this is after completing both butterfly lamps too) when even getting 1 to drop in the Wii edition was something you prayed for. I also finished the game with almost no handgun ammo but something like 70 rifle rounds. I recall going through the Island section thinking "jesus stop giving me rifle ammo, I need some handgun drops.

Then they patched it and fixed the drop rates, oh well it was a fun couple weeks while it lasted

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I remember one time I was getting Mine Thrower ammo when I thought "hey let's get the mine thrower fully upgraded since it should give infinite ammo right".

Once I realized what it really did, I stopped using the mine thrower.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What does it do, I don't think I ever effectively used the minethrower once

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

What does it do, I don't think I ever effectively used the minethrower once

Upgraded Mine Thrower is one of the best weapons in the game. Homes in on enemies and turns you into a walking murder machine

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most people use that on subsequent playthroughs, though. drat thing is huge and has to compete with shotguns and sniper rifles for space.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ownage, I'm gonna do that this time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The problem I always ran into with the mine thrower is that using it with Ashley around is a good way to inadvertently cause direct damage to Ashley, which can easily cause a game over.

I was having a lot of fun with it as a way to set traps, but then the barest edge of an explosion caught Ashley and that was game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think a lot more people would realize what they actually had on hand if the game referred to it as a 'Mini Grenade Launcher'.

Also Minethrower trivializes the final battle to a hilarious degree.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The first time I use the Mine Thrower was in RE3 when I fired it into Nemesis as he charged so I got punched and exploded at the same time, killing me instantly. That's my Mine Thrower story.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Ammo is tight in Claire's game for quite a while, especially in the first episode. That said, you can swap to Moira and stun dudes with the flashlight whenever possible, then swap back to Claire and knock them down. A finishing stab usually takes them out or takes a lot of health off.

That sounds awful. It's just the big axe guys that are massive bullet sponges, literally every other enemy is reasonable. If they worked like Garradors in RE4 I'd be inclined to go back and play more Rev 2, this has just put me off massively.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bullet sponges are nothing compared to how terrible the invisible enemies are. god, gently caress those things.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That sounds awful. It's just the big axe guys that are massive bullet sponges, literally every other enemy is reasonable. If they worked like Garradors in RE4 I'd be inclined to go back and play more Rev 2, this has just put me off massively.

It's mechanically no different than landing a stumble on chainsaw guys in RE4.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wanderer posted:

it is even easier because you have moira with her flashlight and crowbar of fury.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Serious Frolicking posted:

bullet sponges are nothing compared to how terrible the invisible enemies are. god, gently caress those things.

Worst mechanic loving ever.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Those invisible enemies make me kind of sad the game isn't online co-op because i just know there would be so much yelling "NO AIM UP YOU loving IDIOT OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD"

But then you just use the molotovs and they are rendered kinda moot points.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Glasps? I've never been killed by one of these things; unlike most other "special" enemies in the RE series I actually seem to have good luck/RNG/whateverthefuck dealing with them.

Anything else though and you could probably make a small fortune on betting against my chances of survival. Especially the godawful loving bastard shitstain Revenants.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I swear there was at least one glasp that just magically appears behind Barry. It was in the basement of a place in episode 2 or 3? I think the building was mostly skippable but I had to explore and it had a billion glasps.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Speedball posted:

Huh. That's a clever programming trick. You can't look behind you very well at all in RE4, so having it so that enemies behind you are more lenient is pretty kind of the developers.
this is the same way the later devil may cry games are programmed

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

most people use that on subsequent playthroughs, though. drat thing is huge and has to compete with shotguns and sniper rifles for space.

Isn't the Striker the smallest shotgun? Unless the other upgraded shotguns are good, I'd say just use the 100 shell mag shotgun if you want to use the Mine Thrower.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RE6 seems much, much easier than the last two on professional difficulty. I think it's because there are so many new movement options, the control scheme is better overall, and not needing to go into an inventory menu is great too. I went back to RE4 for a bit and it feels archaic now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're not playing through first time on Professional you will have all your upgrades and stuff too. Pro felt about as easy as normal the first time I played it.
Playing through RE4 after 6 recently yeah you definitely have less movement options and everything seems kind of stiff, but I still prefer pretty much everything else in 4.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Any tips for RE4 mercenaries mode? I never really got into them because I would always get owned by the special enemies especially the Garrador and Super Salvador. I guess I would rush it too fast and die.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sakurazuka posted:

If you're not playing through first time on Professional you will have all your upgrades and stuff too. Pro felt about as easy as normal the first time I played it.
Playing through RE4 after 6 recently yeah you definitely have less movement options and everything seems kind of stiff, but I still prefer pretty much everything else in 4.

The melee in 5 and 6 is so much better than 4.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

blackguy32 posted:

Any tips for RE4 mercenaries mode? I never really got into them because I would always get owned by the special enemies especially the Garrador and Super Salvador. I guess I would rush it too fast and die.

Basically you need to practice. Learn where the extra time and bonus scores are. Figure out good routes.

Ammo is never going to be a problem in Mercenaries so feel free to unload whenever you run into the special enemies.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also Hunk and Krauser are very good for Mercs, Hunk in particular makes the chainsaw sisters irrelevant since he can kill them after one stun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wanderer posted:

It's totally different. You have to swap characters, who have different weapons, flash a light at them and hope they get stunned, even though they have some kind of helmet on that stops bullets, and then hope you can get in close enough to hit them. Character switching and having to illuminate objects is a worthless mechanic. It's cool in co-op, but it shouldn't be forced onto everybody. I'd rather have the RE5/6 style of co-op.

Also chainsaw guys aren't people you fight until much later. A sane person will just run past them since they're usually in wide open spaces or areas where there is enough room to run. That and the first chainsaw guy you're guaranteed to fight (if you don't go into shotgun house) can easily be killed with a few grenades.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

There's no "hope." Moira's flashlight with the high beam on is a guaranteed stun given a few seconds of exposure, and you can tell it's "hitting" because the dude will start smoldering and will put one arm up.

If you don't like the game, that's fine, but these are the critical objections of someone who would rather complain than engage with a new mechanic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wanderer posted:

There's no "hope." Moira's flashlight with the high beam on is a guaranteed stun given a few seconds of exposure, and you can tell it's "hitting" because the dude will start smoldering and will put one arm up.

I get that, but there's no way of telling it would work on that specific enemy as, as I mentioned, they have a massive mask/helmet thing. There's another complaint there though: Why doesn't the AI do that for me and stuns + hits enemies? I have not yet seen Moira's AI do that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which version of RE4 first added the Separate Ways bonus mission?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Sakurazuka posted:

I believe it was the PS2 port.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sakurazuka posted:

It was the PS2 version because the PC version was promised the Gamecube graphics and effects and the PS2 extra content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

It was the PS2 version because the PC version was promised the Gamecube graphics and effects and the PS2 extra content.

It's also very obvious as Separate Ways looks WAY shittier than the rest of the game, even on the HD versions, because it's lacking a lot of visual stuff that was in the GC version.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

blackguy32 posted:

In addition to practice, you shouldn't focus too much on putting the bosses out of commission right away unless you can KO them easily, like with Hunk's neck snap. You can string them along for a very long time, so you can engage them with your best weapons and plenty of grenades when your arsenal is big enough. Also if you focus on them you'll likely lose your multiplier, which is the most important thing in Mercenaries, so you have to be killing scrub-tier enemies every 10 seconds while you're engaging the bosses or stringing them along. If the boss is near another enemy then that's a great opportunity to chuck a grenade, also leaving explosive barrels around is really good for when you're running out of time on the multiplier and need a quick kill on a scrub since it just takes 1 pistol shot to instantly get that kill and then you can get back to dealing with the boss.

Super Salvador is a real challenge, I felt like a demigod when I got an S ranking with Hunk on that mission

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's also very obvious as Separate Ways looks WAY shittier than the rest of the game, even on the HD versions, because it's lacking a lot of visual stuff that was in the GC version.

Also the movies are all pre-rendered as the PS2 couldn't handle real time cutscenes, so they look ultra terrible in the HD versions.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I get that, but there's no way of telling it would work on that specific enemy as, as I mentioned, they have a massive mask/helmet thing. There's another complaint there though: Why doesn't the AI do that for me and stuns + hits enemies? I have not yet seen Moira's AI do that.

It works on all of the Afflicted and the game encourages you to try, plus I seem to remember several files highlighting their photosensitivity.

The AI doing more than chaining off of your attacks is an unlockable ability, as I recall, but I don't think AI Moira ever uses the flashlight offensively. The game leaves that up to you, because if AI Moira could reliably inflict a long-duration stun, there would not really be anything left for you as the player to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there any reason that they didn't put Leon in Mercenaries 3D even though there are RE4 maps/characters? (No Ada either)