Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arsten posted:

If you are trying to sex your wood products, you are doing it wrong.

People seem to like sexing my wood :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

People seem to like sexing my wood :quagmire:

And what about you sexing your wood products? :pedo:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tab8715 posted:

I'm a consultant for one of the big tech companies but this only true to a degree. If you're on the hardware side of business it's having a big impact but on the flipside things like Azurestack leave me scratching my head.

Azurestack seems like a super easy thing though, they just push Azure into your environment and instead of having to go the vmware "lol let me manage all your clouds from your on-prem environment" route it's just "it's azure dummy", and when your organization gets to a point where you can public cloud or go halfsies or whatever it doesn't matter because it all works the same.

skipdogg posted:

A lot of the /r/sysadmin folks seem to work for MSP's or small businesses, I tried answering questions there but it got too frustrating too fast. A half step up from the Spiceworks forum really. I'm surprised at the number and breadth of responses though.

Don't look at /r/msp then, it's a trainwreck :(

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 7, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Maneki Neko posted:

Don't look at /r/msp then, it's a trainwreck :(

Oh lord no, won't go near that place.

I do think MSP's are good for one thing though, identifying talent and serving as a stepping stone to something better. The best guy on our team (better than me) cut his teeth for 3 years at a big MSP in a major metro area. If you can handle that, Enterprise IT is a cake walk.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Enterprise IT owns and is comfy work gently caress MSP work

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MSPs go beyond than the random dozen-person business. At my last MSP I worked with banks, hospitals, local and state governments.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I work for a VAR/consulting firm. We deal with everyone from Fortune 100 companies to three letter agencies to small nonprofits with a part time IT guy.

Full life cycle deployments and network refreshes that most enterprise environments do once every 5 years are pretty much the norm (a senior level person typically works 15-20 projects per year), so you're constantly working with newer stuff without having to deal with the headaches of day to day operations, such as application teams submitting daily tickets blaming the network for their outages.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 7, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I just interviewed (and am wishing every minute for a call back) for a sole IT position of a government branch, where most of the work is sourced out to a local MSP.

I would finally get to be the guy on the other side of the table from the MSP, telling them what to do, demanding they hand over documentation, and picking and choosing the work I actually have to do.

After 2 years at an MSP this would be an absolute dream come true.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

a sole IT position of a government branch

Ah, I see that guy may not be so lonely anymore.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I just interviewed (and am wishing every minute for a call back) for a sole IT position of a government branch, where most of the work is sourced out to a local MSP.

I would finally get to be the guy on the other side of the table from the MSP, telling them what to do, demanding they hand over documentation, and picking and choosing the work I actually have to do.

It's just as terrible on the other side a lot of the time. You know the guy you work with at the MSP who is poo poo and always leaves a mess that other people have to fix? You will get that guy and spend more time managing their work and making sure poo poo is actually done right than you would spend to do it yourself :v:. If you have to deal with any kind of security standard, which lots of govt branches do, this is even more of a giant loving headache when you get audited and figure out what hosed up thing was done which has to be fixed after the fact. Or maaaaaybe you will get lucky. Burn an offering or something.

Also it's government so :lol: if you think it will be less hosed up.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 7, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
For some reason the office is mostly empty today. About all I had to do was help someone in a remote office switch to the new laptop I sent him except he can't find it so... I have nothing else to do. Just listening to music and will probably watch an episode of Rockford Files before lunch.

Days like this help balance out the horribly lovely ones.

EDIT: Goddamn FedEx misdelivered two entire pallets of parcels to the wrong place, including that laptop. The recipient had it all returned to sender.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 7, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You're gonna demand documentation all right, but good luck getting them to actually hand it over without holding one of them at gunpoint.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Depending on what part of government you're working for, you might be able to get away with that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's a park district so no security standards, the most secure thing they might deal with is a driver's license scan.

I got a call today for a second formality interview with the department director, so chances are high on this one. I'm psyched.

There's even a chance if I'm hired that I can replace the current MSP with the one I used to work for. Their work was always spot on, I know all of the personalities there, and I know when they're slacking off. And I think it would make my old boss really happy after being so upset with me leaving.

Not that I'm in this to make anybody other than myself happy. I've got a career to run.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's a park district so no security standards, the most secure thing they might deal with is a driver's license scan.

I got a call today for a second formality interview with the department director, so chances are high on this one. I'm psyched.

There's even a chance if I'm hired that I can replace the current MSP with the one I used to work for. Their work was always spot on, I know all of the personalities there, and I know when they're slacking off. And I think it would make my old boss really happy after being so upset with me leaving.

Not that I'm in this to make anybody other than myself happy. I've got a career to run.

Haven't even gotten the government gig and already planning some cronyism?

You're perfect! :v:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress Skype for Business Online and gently caress Consumer Skype not playing nice with each other.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SaltLick posted:

gently caress Skype for Business Online and gently caress Consumer Skype not playing nice with each other.
gently caress Microsoft for renaming Lync to Skype for Business, when they are two very different products.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I love Skype for business...I love pingin!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That talk is actually related to a problem I'm having which leads to a question I have for you guys.

What do your business consider the 'official' means of communication? We're running into issues where different segments of the organization seem to prefer different methods. I've got groups who say they don't check their email you need to reach them on Lync. Another group doesn't use Lync but you should contact them on Slack. The business provides email so that seems nice and official to me. I mean is this relatively common for anyone else, this kind of "I've got many ways to be contacted but I'll only acknowledge a couple of them" approach?

I mean I'm literally being told by an entire group of employees that "we don't monitor email" - uh, you got an email address when you were onboarded, yes you do monitor it - if I sent you an email, you read it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Both email and Skype. Email for paper trail as Skype doesn't have logs for some weird legal reason.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

a cop posted:

Both email and Skype. Email for paper trail as Skype doesn't have logs for some weird legal reason.
If someone told you "I don't read email, I only use Skype", would you be expected to accommodate them, or would it be, hey guess you better practice reading your email? Because I feel more and more like I'm having to accommodate these people with arbitrary restrictions on their communication.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That talk is actually related to a problem I'm having which leads to a question I have for you guys.

What do your business consider the 'official' means of communication? We're running into issues where different segments of the organization seem to prefer different methods. I've got groups who say they don't check their email you need to reach them on Lync. Another group doesn't use Lync but you should contact them on Slack. The business provides email so that seems nice and official to me. I mean is this relatively common for anyone else, this kind of "I've got many ways to be contacted but I'll only acknowledge a couple of them" approach?

I mean I'm literally being told by an entire group of employees that "we don't monitor email" - uh, you got an email address when you were onboarded, yes you do monitor it - if I sent you an email, you read it.

Email (when provided by the company, which i think is always?) should be the #1 communication tool, others are ancillary and "Hey it would be nice if I could hit you up on jabber/slack/AIM/IRQ/IRC/carrierpidgeon as well for quick chats"

*edit*

gently caress anyone that does not use email, if I email you, respond to me via email, even if it's "Give me a minute and I'll call you to discuss", it gives me a somewhat CYA trail etc.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 8, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

a cop posted:

I love Skype for business...I love pingin!

I used to use pidgin all the time. That and trillian.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If someone told you "I don't read email, I only use Skype", would you be expected to accommodate them, or would it be, hey guess you better practice reading your email? Because I feel more and more like I'm having to accommodate these people with arbitrary restrictions on their communication.

What James said. I wouldn't even be sure how to respond if someone told me they didn't use email. That's such a huge area for logistical improvement that some higher up would almost definitely take it upon themselves to get everyone on the same page if they were made aware of the issue of different practices throughout the organization.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

a cop posted:

uhhh... actually Skype definitely does have logs.
We're about to implement it for local government and all the IM conversations need to be FOYA-able

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

uhhh... actually Skype definitely does have logs.
We're about to implement it for local government and all the IM conversations need to be FOYA-able

Sorry, I meant logs are disabled at my company for weird legal reasons (within the company).

It's a bitch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

a cop posted:

Sorry, I meant logs are disabled at my company for weird legal reasons (within the company).

It's a bitch.

"Disable logs so there is no paper trail"

*user snips every conversation*

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I only acknowledge messages in the form of smoke signals

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So what was the consensus of working at Amazon? Despite being hell on earth for packers wasn't there a goon who said the tech side was alright?

Just noticed a few local postings for technicians/engineers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Super Slash posted:

So what was the consensus of working at Amazon? Despite being hell on earth for packers wasn't there a goon who said the tech side was alright?

ehhhh... I've heard mixed reviews.
My sister is a tech recruiter and says that most everyone who gets a rack monkey in VA seems to like it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ehhhh... I've heard mixed reviews.
My sister is a tech recruiter and says that most everyone who gets a rack monkey in VA seems to like it.

I know people who work for AWS and an offshoot company who both really like it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I have a second interview 2 weeks from today (vacation time prevents it from being sooner). All indications are that this is a formality and I'll walk away with an offer, where the minimum amount listed on the posting is still worth taking for me. So it's a 95% lock that I'll be going to this new job in October.

The new employer wants to contact my current company to verify my employment / get a reference. Hiring manager said she doesn't want to make anything awkward so she's willing to wait until we're closer to the 2nd interview before contacting my company.

Do I :
A) Tell my boss now that I'm following up with this job posting because it's a significant step up in my career, but I haven't made any decisions yet (so they don't flat out fire me before anything happens at the new place)
B) Don't tell my boss anything and let the phone call be a surprise, followed by a surprise 2 week notice
C) Try to convince the new job to not contact my current employer and offer another reference instead, and then talk to my boss after the 2nd interview letting her know to expect my 2 week notice shortly

I'm really bad at quitting and I hate doing it but I'm a millennial so it's gonna keep happening v:shobon:v

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You'll want an offer before any sort of reference checking happens.

Have her contact other references first then contact your current last maybe after the interview.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Always written offer first before references.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Super Slash posted:

I know 2 people who just took engineering/architect positions in Seattle but they won't be starting for another week, I plan to ask them how the management is there because I always hear mixed things. I assume it's like most places, the higher up you are the better off you are treated. But like I said before, with all the stock they were given for the positions, I would let management do all kinds of nasty things to me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

air- posted:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SaltLick posted:

You'll want an offer before any sort of reference checking happens.

Have her contact other references first then contact your current last maybe after the interview.

She contacted my first two references and said they were fantastic. I honestly don't know why she needs to contact my current employer at all. This is why my third option is to ask her "hey why not just call another one of my old managers instead and we'll all be super happy". At the same time I don't want it to seem like I'm hiding or shying away from anything, and I know my current manager would give me a solid reference if they called her.

air- posted:

It's easy to say this but how would it work? "Hey please offer me a bunch of money and a position at the company but don't call my references until I say yes to your deal!"

Don't the references play in to how much your offer would be worth?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

She contacted my first two references and said they were fantastic. I honestly don't know why she needs to contact my current employer at all. This is why my third option is to ask her "hey why not just call another one of my old managers instead and we'll all be super happy". At the same time I don't want it to seem like I'm hiding or shying away from anything, and I know my current manager would give me a solid reference if they called her.

It's easy to say this but how would it work? "Hey please offer me a bunch of money and a position at the company but don't call my references until I say yes to your deal!"

I leave it as contacting the current company, not references in general. The few times they've pressed, I've just gone "Oh, they are super crazy. if they got a call today, I'd be cleaning out my desk tomorrow and I don't want to risk that without a full offer."

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"My current employer would fire me if they figure out I'm looking for a job so I can't have you calling them until I'm sure that I have an offer."

If you have other good references it should be fine and if they just want to verify your current employment offer a paystub or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've managed to purge both Java and Flash from the entire company. How long will that last?

What time is it now?