Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
SU is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Hakkesshu posted:

Lauren Zuke's old sketch from like 2014 that started the whole bad pearl thing

They really went for it

I'm the second cigarette she lit when she didn't know what to do after lighting the first one

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I'm just going to say it, they need to do something with Garnet again. It really feels they don't know what to do with her.

Tetracube posted:

that's because it's a show based around character development and garnet is already perfect

Actually, Garnet does have a serious flaw and I'd really like for the show to address it:

She never asks questions. I know that's played off as a joke most of a time ("I can't") but it's actually a pretty bad way to live your life. Confidence is good, but sometimes it's important to look a little deeper into things and ask yourself why things are the way they are and if what you're doing is really the right thing.

But, again, this might just keep being played as a joke.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I swear to god if this conversation turns into the same poo poo you did with that dumb Lars theory y'all need to get out more

S. is cool and I welcome gay women that aren't rocks in the show

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

She never asks questions. I know that's played off as a joke most of a time ("I can't") but it's actually a pretty bad way to live your life. Confidence is good, but sometimes it's important to look a little deeper into things and ask yourself why things are the way they are and if what you're doing is really the right thing.

But, again, this might just keep being played as a joke.

I want to say that Sugar mentioned that in the design notes, that she's the kind of gem that does what she wants and doesn't ask questions and they kept it as literal as possible.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

MrSlam posted:

Thanks. I have a bunch of grammatical vocabular misconceptions in my head.

Mortifying, Quintessential, Eponymous, and Ironic to name a few.

It's nothing, when I was like 11 I mixed up erratic with erotic, and let me tell you: those are not the same.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
really if Garnet has a flaw it's her/ruby's anger.
Several times when she's gotten angry it was blocked or played like she was about to hurt someone even though she didn't, and Pearl and Amethyst seriously used to live in mortal fear of her and may still do so (Secret Team).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There hasn't been a specific episode highlighting it directly, but I think Garnet used to have more of a problem being too distant/opaque. As the show has progressed, she's become more affectionate and emotionally available to Steven than I think she used to be, which is nice.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

really if Garnet has a flaw it's her/ruby's anger.
Several times when she's gotten angry it was blocked or played like she was about to hurt someone even though she didn't, and Pearl and Amethyst seriously used to live in mortal fear of her and may still do so (Secret Team).

And Sapphire's deterministic nihilism. (Which seems to be the source of Garnet's lack of questioning.)

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

There hasn't been a specific episode highlighting it directly, but I think Garnet used to have more of a problem being too distant/opaque. As the show has progressed, she's become more affectionate and emotionally available to Steven than I think she used to be, which is nice.

Some of that comes from Estelle not being an experienced voice actress and hating doing a ton of lines, although now she's definitely very comfortable with it while still keeping her short phrasing.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I'm pretty sure at this point SU is the most pro-LGBT, progressive show I've ever seen.

Also calling it; Peridot is totally autistic, not in a negative insult sort of way, but she definitely has shades of it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
This might be my new favorite episode.

That's the most scared since you almost let me die! You're a criminal now!" :haw:

The music was also great in this episode. Special shout out to the random dude singing along at the party.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Tetracube posted:

that's because it's a show based around character development and garnet is already perfect

"You're wrong! I'm not as strong as you think, I have weaknesses too..."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

MrSlam posted:

I want to say that Sugar mentioned that in the design notes, that she's the kind of gem that does what she wants and doesn't ask questions and they kept it as literal as possible.

The no questions thing is a definite character trait, it's why it was such a big deal in The Answer that after Ruby and Sapphire fuse into Garnet all she does is ask Rose a ton of questions.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated to anything, what do you think was happening between Ruby and Sapphire when Garnet got addicted to that arcade game?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

axleblaze posted:

Unrelated to anything, what do you think was happening between Ruby and Sapphire when Garnet got addicted to that arcade game?
The Calvin and Hobbes dance on an infinite loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7nv7BH19Q

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

MrSlam posted:

"You're wrong! I'm not as strong as you think, I have weaknesses too..."

Please tell me this is from today's episode.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

axleblaze posted:

Imagine 2 backseat gamers trying to outperform one another.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Gotta say, I didn't expect an indie movie episode from this show, but now it's the most obvious thing imaginable.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The biggest disappointment in this episode is the lack of Ducky.

There, I said it. Didn't bother to spoiler it either!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Her third eye was going bazonkers so I think the pattern-following nature of the game was really stimulating to her future vision.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I know Steven Universe has some pretty clear but not-elaborated alt-history stuff going on, but given that the Crystal Gems were (probably) in Delmarva when the USA became independent and (probably) have been ever since, surely the Gems would have gotten American citizenship by now, either by being within the territory of the Colonies when the USA became the USA, or I guess legally they might count as "natives" and therefore would have gotten citizenship through whatever the SU equivalent of the Snyder Act is. Or they were granted citizenship at some other point because they killed Kaiser Wilhelm or Hitler or something.

They're probably eligible for citizenship several times over at this point, is what I'm saying.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the gems either killed hitler, or they didn't. pretty hosed up imo

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Pick posted:

the gems either killed hitler, or they didn't. pretty hosed up imo

Pearl!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

None of the gems killed Hitler, she gave up her physical form to make Steven, geez.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Please tell me this is from today's episode.
I wish

For context
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr_UYwaVNqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY91IYtdjhU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIVtnMHYmJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A4axXb6MR4
and where it's actually from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KCE1ReHrLU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fruitsniffer posted:

This episode is probably one of my favorite episodes so far. Good stuff.

Pink hair girl better be a reoccurring character, or I'll be very disappointed.

Also, to whoever is saying that Pearl is gay: I think it's pretty obvious that she just wanted to make a new friend. Jeez, guys. /s

I have a feeling (Episode Title Spoilers) that this may be the subject of Gal Pals.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Brock Sampson killed Hitler.

https://youtu.be/O97A0R4chMg

For extra fun imagine Brock voiced by Pearl and Hank voiced by Steven. That'd make Deans role voiced by Connie huh? Garnet fits for Shoreleave because they are both completely confident in their abilities. The only person with the flare for Doctor Orpheus is Jamie.

Hmm. Who do I call at cartoon network to make this happen?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mr. Fowl posted:

I have a feeling that this may be the subject of Gal Pals.

That's not a real episode title, it's from a fake list. The person who made it admitted they lied about it and a whole bunch of other "leaked information".

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

God drat, what an episode. It's perfect. It's wonderful. It's super ultra mega gay.

I really wish I had this show as a kid, I would have skipped out on a lot of stupid confusing years in my youth.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

BAD PEARL!!!

DISRESPECT THE AUTHORITY COMING STRAIGHT FROM THE KINDERGARTEN!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Oh, I'm very familiar with Pearl's secret rap career. I thought that they might have made some kind of reference to it in today's episode is all.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

It's okay Pearl kept it going into pop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilm2FbGMxLA

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

That was a creative bit of self-censorship

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

I am marking out on this entire episode.

Bad Pearl!

Breaking the Law!!

DRIFTING!!!

This episode is one of my favorites, and it isn't over yet.

EDIT: Also, wife said that the music sounds a lot like the Pillows. I like it.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
God, the running background music is giving me serious FLCL vibes and I'm totally OK with that...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PEARL GOT A GIRL'S NUMBER

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

End credits, and Pearl just got a hookup. Holy cow, that was amazing.

What were those credits a reference to? They look super familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This was the most "let Pearl say gently caress" episode ever and I love it.