Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

afternoon coffee: "Afternoon, coffee."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Coffee is cool and good.

:geno: to :sludgepal:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drinking a nice mug or three five

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
burnt my tongue trying to drink my coffee too hot, still drank it though

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

big scary monsters posted:

they should make straws out of ice

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

big scary monsters posted:

:prepop: please be careful not to do this too much!!!!!!!! :prepop:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/health/coffee-tea-hot-drinks-cancer-risk/index.html
e: sorry bout the extra ! but i just had some coffee

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

doctorfrog posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/health/coffee-tea-hot-drinks-cancer-risk/index.html

quote:

skin contact with a liquid this hot can result in almost instantaneous burns if prolonged.

:raise:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

doctorfrog posted:

gently caress!! next time i'll have a quick pre-coffee cig first to let it cool down to safer temperatures

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
friend dropped off a couple bags of some espresso blends and a private blend from his job.
Thinking about upgrading from a v60 to a decent chemex

brewing for one

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
had some coffee too late in the evening and regretting it

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bump_fn posted:

Nice!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
i made a cup of coffee

it is good

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

not going to survive the rest of the day without a double shot

:coffee:

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

how noticeable are the effects of a decent grinder

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
both cafes near me are closed for the week gently caress my life i need coffee

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

bump_fn posted:

yeah i'd regret the evening too.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Something about black coffee makes me twacked out and twitchey eyed. :sludgepal:

Espresso gets me buzzed quiet good and dandy, unless of course the barista butchers pulling the shot and I end up with a festering pool of acidic garbage sludge.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

teen bear posted:

It sounds nuts but the grinder is probably the single most important component to brewing quality coffee. Whirly-blade grinders can never produce anything but an inconsistent grind (large range of particle size), which will result in an inconsistent extraction as the small particles extract quickly and the large ones slowly. I just bought a Capresso Infinity to give to my in-laws as it appears to be the standard recommendation for the lowest-price grinder to still produce an acceptable grind. I only used it for a weekend but it's solid and the grind was good.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
i felt inspired to dig up a "WHY IS ESPRESSO SCIENTIFICALLY DANKER THAN COFFEE" report and i found this:

http://www.ift.org/~/media/Knowledge%20Center/Publications/Books/Samples/IFTPressBook_Coffee_PreviewChapter.pdf

quote:

Because espresso machines use pressure to extract the brew and do not use paper filter,
more of the lipids, including diterpenes, can be found in brewed espresso compared with
regular percolation methods.

:coffeepal:

quote:

Factors that affect the brew’s composition include the ground roast coffee composition, grid,
brewing method, proportion of coffee to water, hardness and temperature of water, length of
time coffee is in contact with water, and the filter material. The amount of soluble solids in
the brewed coffee varies from 2 to 6 g/100-mL cup [140].
Preparing a filtered brew from ground and roast coffee, involves extracting water-soluble
compounds; most of the lipophilic fraction remains in the filter with the solid materials.
Espresso is prepared by a special brewing technique in which a small amount of hot water is percolated through ground coffee under high pressure for a short time. In this case, the composition and quality of the brew also depends on the water pressure.
Usually, extraction of water-soluble components including chlorogenic acids, caffeine,
nicotinic acid, soluble melanoidins, and hydrophilic volatile compounds is greater at higher
temperatures and pressures [108]. Although the lipid fraction is not water-soluble, part of
the amount remaining in the seeds after roasting is extracted due to the high temperature
of the water and is present in the brew as an emulsion. However, oil particles are likely to
be retained in filters made of paper or similar types of materials. The high pressure used
to make espresso and absence of a filter made of paper or another lipophilic material to
retain the lipids facilitates their extraction into the brew. Thus, unfiltered coffee and espresso
coffee brews contain higher amounts of these compounds, including bioactive diterpenes and
sterols.
Approximately 80%–100% of chlorogenic acids, the components primarily responsible
for the functional properties of coffee, are extracted in home coffee brewing [47], resulting
in 35–100 mg chlorogenic acids/100-mL cup of Arabica coffee and 35–175 mg/100-mL
cup of Robusta coffee [141]. However, maintaining coffee brews at a high temperature re-
duces chlorogenic acids and lactones concentrations [142,143]. Despite their thermolability,
chlorogenic acids are still present in relatively high amounts in light- to dark-medium-roasted
coffees compared with most food sources [47,144]. Coffee abstainers typically ingest less
than 100-mg chlorogenic acids/day, whereas modest and heavy coffee drinkers ingest 0.1–2 g
[47,141,145]. In addition to free chlorogenic acids and those incorporated by melanoidins,
D ́ıaz-Rubio and Saura-Calixto [102] reported that 8.7–10.5 mg chlorogenic acids and their
derivatives are associated with soluble fiber in 100 mL brewed coffee.
Coffee’s acidity is due to organic acids such as acetic, formic, malic, citric, and lactic
acids, as well as chlorogenic and quinic acids. The pH varies from approximately 5.2 in a
brew made from light roast to 5.8 [139].
Approximately 0.3–0.7 g potassium may be found in 100 mL brew at 8%–20% (coffee/
water) [106,140], and low amounts of sodium (approximately 3 mg/100 mL brew) were
found in a brew prepared at 20% (w/v) [106]. The antidemineralization effect of
C. canephora reported by Antonio et al. [106] has been attributed, in part, to phosphorus (50 mg/100 mL
brew). Costa and Farah [146] observed that the total mineral extraction achieved by espresso
machines and electric coffee makers was higher than that of all other percolation methods.
As previously mentioned, galactomannans and type II arabinogalactans are the predomi-
nant polysaccharides that pass into the brew. After roasting the coffee seeds and brewing, these
polysaccharides represent approximately 15%–25% of the dry matter [117,147]. According
to Petraco [147],
a typical amount of soluble fiber in espresso coffee is 800 mg/100 mL, and a
regular percolation method produces approximately 200 mg/100 mL. Similarly, Diaz-Rubioand Saura-Calixto [102] reported 470–750 mg soluble fiber in 100 mL brewed coffees.
Caffeine, trigonelline, and nicotinic acid are also soluble in hot water. Typical amounts in
brewed coffee prepared with medium roasted coffee vary from 50–100 mg caffeine, 40–50 mg
trigonelline, and approximately 10 mg nicotinic acid. Trigonelline tends to be completely
degraded in dark roasts, whereas nicotinic acid content increases [52].
As previously mentioned, most of the lipid fraction is retained in the remaining solid
material after brewing. Triacylglycerols account for approximately 75% (w/w) of total coffee
lipids in freshly brewed coffee, whereas free fatty acids account for only approximately 1%
[46].

:sludgepal:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Diet Pepsi is ok

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

I've finally released my machine learning first crack identifier thing. There might be two people in the universe who would ever deploy such a thing, but hey here it is.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

Diet Pepsi is ok

This is the coffee thread, not the un-funny broke brain moron stuck on repeat gbs style baby's first troll thread.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

teen bear posted:

depends on how much you like gay sex :haw:

c coffee s: praline-flavored, i think? :shrug:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

Diet Pepsi is ok

mods?

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Visual GNUdio posted:

It sounds nuts but the grinder is probably the single most important component to brewing quality coffee. Whirly-blade grinders can never produce anything but an inconsistent grind (large range of particle size), which will result in an inconsistent extraction as the small particles extract quickly and the large ones slowly. I just bought a Capresso Infinity to give to my in-laws as it appears to be the standard recommendation for the lowest-price grinder to still produce an acceptable grind. I only used it for a weekend but it's solid and the grind was good.

i feel like this would take me to a new coffee threshold i could never come back from and i'm nervous and scared rn

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

teen bear posted:

i feel like this would take me to a new coffee threshold i could never come back from and i'm nervous and scared rn

Don't worry buddy, it'll be fine. I used to drink bad coffee and then I bought a good grinder and I turned out perfectly normal. lol RIP you

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

teen bear posted:

can confirm from a non-coffee autist perspective. i used to use a whirly blade grinder and got a burr grinder for christmas (i think i linked it earlier in this thread actually) and it makes a tremendous difference as long as you have halfway decent beans. purely from a economic point of view you can brew coffee with fewer beans because you get a finer/more even grind which exposes more surface area to the liquid. other than that Visual GNUdio covered it adequately

edit: of course i'm drinking my usual friday bagel shop coffee instead of my own ground coffee while i type this :ironicat:

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Touchscreen scale for Artisan is working brilliant, now I need to figure out how to deal with an enclosure.

This might be the project that finally pushes me into buying a 3D printer.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"this grinder is easy to clean"

forgive me for not thinking so but i don't loving think so

Visual GNUdio posted:

Touchscreen scale for Artisan is working brilliant, now I need to figure out how to deal with an enclosure.

This might be the project that finally pushes me into buying a 3D printer.

:eyepop:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

teen bear posted:

you are right to be afraid, i used to be happy to drink poo poo tier instant coffee until a girlfriend convinced me that the real stuff was better and got me a grinder and made me use beans and stuff

now i drink better coffee but it means that i can't enjoy it any more when someone serves me crap. i'm not sure that developing taste is even worth it

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

"this grinder is easy to clean"

forgive me for not thinking so but i don't loving think so

https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-...rt+burr+grinder

here i dug it up for you - this is the one i use and its fairly easy to clean. comes with a brush to get most of the residue off, and every so often (like 1/week?) you can just use a toothpick to dislodge anything that's built up on the spout. i'm a lazy shitlord and this suits my needs.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

edit: of course i'm drinking my usual friday bagel shop coffee instead of my own ground coffee while i type this :ironicat:

update: spilled everywhere on carpet. self-owned.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i wonder what would happen if you bathed in coffee. there are people in the bible who bathe in milk, but maybe coffee would do the job better

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

prefect posted:

i wonder what would happen if you bathed in coffee. there are people in the bible who bathe in milk, but maybe coffee would do the job better

as long as it isn't iced coffee.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i'm happy to report that after a month off, i am drinking that hot bean sludge

it's really good

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

prefect posted:

Funny you should mention it. For christmas wife bought me some weirdo coffee-based bath scrub poo poo. I don't know what it is about girls and their endless desire to rub food all over their fuckin bodies but a quick look at the labels in the beauty supply aisle seems to suggest they can't get enough of it.

So I figure why not I'll try it. Turns out the thing contains actual ground coffee, which, when combined with a warm shower, equals brewed coffee all over my drat self. I love coffee, but I also like being clean, and I don't understand how anybody thought that brewing coffee all over my pasty white skin was somehow going to improve things.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

about 2 make some coffee

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i start every morning with 4 cups of maxwell house house blend from the world's best drip coffeemaker, the mr coffee bvmc-sjx33gt

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

macswill haus is bad coffee but its ok to be different,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast