Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

TheCog posted:

1. C

2. It is not my place to speak for El or the Melachim. I will tell you this: what we found in the ruins was not a Melachim, but an ancient and powerful being, with a tragic story. His secrets are his to keep, and I will not share them.

As to El? The Melachim? I will not tell you what to believe. You witnessed with your eyes, what I witnessed. I can tell you what *I* believe, but I am no more infallible than Zebantha or Tudya in these matters. I believe El is real, I believe the Melachim do not desire your worship. This does not mean everything the house of El speaks is right and infallible. The heretics believe many things which I agree with. But you ask me about the truth of the universe? That I do not have. Nor would I dictate how you live your lives.

To doubt is wise, for it is the path to understanding, so look not to me for answers, but rather seek them out on your own.

3. 2 + And never ever again make a statue of a melachim to resemble me. I am not a melachim.

4. W but make a show of it. Storm into the temple, smash the statue, proclaim that if anyone *ever* dares to make us into the statue of a Melachim, our wrath will be furious and unending.

+1 to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm on board with TheCog and his ideas. I think talking to Hagar before we destroy the statue is good. And bring Paebel. I'd like to reference Tudiya's long tolerance of the heretics when dealing with Obel. Free will is vastly important and men must be allowed to make their own judgments about things. We have seen wondrous things on our journey and I suspect that it will have a large impact on how the heretics feel, but they must reach that judgement for themselves. Remind him that mercy is never misplaced.

1 C
4 T/W

2/3 TheCog

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 9, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

E: And the ones with ishmal I think I want to look at

Were these the posts you meant?

Diogines posted:

"The fifth. Learn. Some would call this the most foolish option of all. I think I am forced to agree. I will teach you how to use your power in a way so as to not slay yourself and I dearly hope, others. I will not teach you words to wreak havoc, nor other destructive things. Yet you must learn somewhere and how to control your own body seems the safest place to start. What you did in that cave could have gone wrong... horribly wrong and you'll surely do it again if only by accident."

Maybe also this one?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=549#post425756558

Diogines fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 9, 2016

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Did my best to map the retcon answers to the questions presented. FWIW this gets my vote. I liked this part of the retconned story and it would be a shame to lose it.

Diogines posted:

Ruth says "Do you truly speak with the Melachim?"
"The Melachim are not at the beck and call of any man, I don't "speak to the Melachim", but I have spoken to them, and they do, at times, speak to me."

Diogines posted:

Asahel adds "Is El real? I... I never believed. But now? After these signs and wonders we have seen? These miracles? I want to know the truth."

Diogines posted:

Eleazar takes a deep breath and asks "Is El Real?"
"El. El is real. What that means is beyond any man I know, probably any man alive. Your relationship with El, what it means to you, must be yours to discover. I can't tell you what El is, I don't know if anyone can, but El is there if you wish to look."

Diogines posted:

Paebel asks "What is that thing we found buried? Was it truly not a Melachim? What did it tell you?"

Diogines posted:

David says "We know what we saw father. We found a Melachim in that crypt. Didn't we?"
"You did not see a Melachim; the one we met beneath the earth was not divine, yet neither was he mortal. His kind are somewhere in between, and are forgotten for a reason; I will say no more on them. There are things I should not tell you, I may have said too much already, but I will take that responsibility. Not all secrets are my own, and those who keep them guard them zealously."

Diogines posted:

Paebel adds "Should we tell Hagar to disband the temple?"

Diogines posted:

Gaddiel asks "Do the Melachim truly not want us to worship them?"
You consider for a moment and then you take a deep breath and you say to your friends "I spoke of such things to a priest in the House of El many years ago during our visit. And a Kohen told me that many have doubts of themselves, of others. Some do not and perhaps they should, for doubt is a road to wisdom and certainty a wall to bar the way to learning."

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 9, 2016

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
AT

As for the punishment I think we should ban statues in general from the temple and have one of our mighty men check up on them once a month.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
Welp, gently caress it.
1. B
2+3 I want to talk to both groups at once!
The Melachim have outright said they don't want worship, we should respect their wishes. If they are intervening and wish the credit to go to El, we should respect that. I'm not a Melachim and they haven't given me any special insight into why they would want that, but they do. So either El is real and he has caused great and wonderful things, such as the chain we used at the Giant village. Or he doesn't exist and the Melachim still want us to give all the glory to El.

I'm honestly not sure what Amok was. He said he was half Melachim, but that's insane, Melachim don't have dicks and Amok sure was a dick.

4. Z. First do 2+3 and see what happens.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Cornuto posted:

Did my best to map the retcon answers to the questions presented. FWIW this gets my vote. I liked this part of the retconned story and it would be a shame to lose it.

"The Melachim are not at the beck and call of any man, I don't "speak to the Melachim", but I have spoken to them, and they do, at times, speak to me."

"El. El is real. What that means is beyond any man I know, probably any man alive. Your relationship with El, what it means to you, must be yours to discover. I can't tell you what El is, I don't know if anyone can, but El is there if you wish to look."

"You did not see a Melachim; the one we met beneath the earth was not divine, yet neither was he mortal. His kind are somewhere in between, and are forgotten for a reason; I will say no more on them. There are things I should not tell you, I may have said too much already, but I will take that responsibility. Not all secrets are my own, and those who keep them guard them zealously."

You consider for a moment and then you take a deep breath and you say to your friends "I spoke of such things to a priest in the House of El many years ago during our visit. And a Kohen told me that many have doubts of themselves, of others. Some do not and perhaps they should, for doubt is a road to wisdom and certainty a wall to bar the way to learning."

If it ain't broken don't fix it. +1

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1. E

2 and 3. TheCog

4. W

I would have also liked to tell them that we aren't allowed to talk about a lot of stuff or we may be harmed, but I'm too lazy to write a thing.

Mexican Deathgasm fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 9, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

1. E

2 and 3. TheCog

4. W

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
1. E

2. "My children, only one has perfect wisdom. I can speak only of what I have seen and heard. It is taught that El draws no strength from our sacrifices and cares nothing for gold or finery, but great deeds, things surrendered that were won at great cost, these things are pleasing to El.

Ruth when Danal returned from rescuing you the altar burst into holy fire that did not burn us. El accepted his mighty deeds and valorous oath.

David, when Ahaz fell defending Ibleam he cried the name of El so loud all could hear it for leagues around. The ground was scoured clean, the demons slain in all directions for a great distance.

Asahel, when I first began my adventures the original Balls and I were set upon by a demon in a den of goblins. We could not harm the demon, and all seem lost, yet we cried out to El and the demon fell as if an invisible hand had crushed it.

You know the stories, of how the Melachim commanded me to bring word to the tyrant Zobah that the siege of Tadmor was to be abandoned. It is true. Those who bear word from On High are to be obeyed. Be humble before the Melachim, they are El's messengers.

All of you, you have seen how each time we offered the hard-won things of our adventure to El he accepted them, he blessed us and aided us.

He who was within the crypt was as I said, an ancient being of great power, good and broken-hearted. I hope he has brought terrible destruction on the spawn of Fare, I hope to see him again in happier times.

I will not tell you what to believe, I can speak only of what I have seen and heard."

3. "I will not tell you what to believe, I can speak only of what I have seen and heard. It is taught that El draws no strength from our sacrifices and cares nothing for gold or finery, but great deeds, things surrendered that were won at great cost, these things are pleasing to El. All of you, you have seen how each time we offered the hard-won things of our adventure to El he accepted them, he blessed us and aided us.

I will never speak for the Melachim, yet remember with me the Old Tales. Did not Smythos wait until the very last chance to warn the people off his worship? The Temple of the Melachim do works that are near to my heart, they respect women, they aid the poor and those in bondage, yet none of these things requires following the acolytes of Bareen. It disturbs me that her students collect worshippers to themselves and their places.

He who was within the crypt was as I said, an ancient being of great power, good and broken-hearted. I hope he has brought terrible destruction on the spawn of Fare, I hope to see him again in happier times.

I will not tell you what to believe, I can speak only of what I have seen and heard."

4. W No statue of us being worshipped!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Didn't Jael make us promise not to reveal most of this poo poo to anyone?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Kristopher posted:

1. B
2. My children
, you seem to think I have some sort of divine revelation. I don't, but I will answer your questions insofar as I can.
To Ruth, I have on occasion spoken to beings who I suspected to be Melachim. They have given me orders, and good works have been done by following these orders, such as at Ashkalon [sp?]
To Asahel, you ask me if El is real? Well, I can't say he has seen fit to personally confirm his existence to me, but many times I have called out to him for aid, and more times than I truly expected, I have received overt aid. I can not say for certainty if this was El, or if El truly exists, but I can only tell you that I truly believe that El exists, and cares for and watches over us.
To David, I will not speak of this. I am sorry, truly I am, I understand well how frustrating it is to receive this answer, but those I trust have warned me against talking about this, ever again. I will heed their wisdom on this matter.
I realize this is probably less satisfying than you all hoped, but while I have had some experiences with what I suspect was the divine, it is far less than people think I have had, and they very rarely left me with definitive answers. I can only say what I believe to be the truth, and I hope it has been enough to satisfy you.
3. My friends, I don't have any definitive answers to give, I can only tell you what I believe to be true. I have called out to El and on several occasions received overt aid, and so I have faith in El. Paebel, do not instruct Hagar to disband the temple, she is a free woman and she can decide her own path in life. As to the Melachim, what few experiences I have had with them have all been subtle. I suspect if they desired worship, they would not have been as low-key. I will not speak of the final matter, as I have been warned against it by those I trust.
4. T

I tried to phrase everything in terms that make it clear that these are only Enkidel's beliefs and theories, in order to follow Ishmael's instructions to not claim special knowledge.

This, except we also need to make it clear to the heretics that if they don't come to El, or destroy their statue and also become far more circumspect, Obel or even Tudiya will slaughter them all and we won't be able to protect them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. Pass
2 & 3. First off, allow me to make it very clear that I speak only for myself. Yes, I have spoken with Melachim at times. No, I do not decide when or where, we do not discuss the grand secrets of the universe. Believe me, I wish they did, because I have questions enough to last the end of days. The simple fact is that sometimes they appear, they have a task for me to perform, and I see it done as best I can. They do not discuss policy or faith with me or hand down any commandments for the world to obey, they do not condone, condemn, confirm or deny anything I or others believe.
As to what happened...I believe it was El. I can not confirm with any sort of evidence, not to yours or mine satisfaction. I just can't. What happened and what I did is beyond the words I can find to describe. All I know is that i choose to place my faith that it was El.
Years ago, when I journeyed to Baitel, the head priest told me that it was rational to have doubts, that it was how we learned and moved forward. I repeat these words now, because they hold valuable wisdom. I have spent my life pursuing answers, and am rewarded with far more questions instead.
I do not have the answers. I have only personally been given the barest hint of a taste of the truth, and I still do not know for sure what I actually learned or how to interpret it.
It will frustrate you to no end when I say this, as it frustrates me when I hear it from others, but, you must seek your own truth. Live your lives in accordance with your hearts, and find your own answers. If you only believe as I believe and think as I think, then what is the point? Life would lose its flavor. And if I'm wrong, then you are wrong with me without ever giving yourself the chance to find what I did not. And if I am right, then you will find it for yourself and be better for it, for even the same destination has many roads to it.

4. T

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You tell your children you wish to think carefully before explaining such weighty matters and when confronted by Paebel the very next morning you decide you wish to speak to Hagar as well. These are all matters of faith after a fashion. When you tell Paebel that you want to speak with Hagar he says without reservation "I think that is a wise idea and long past due." Eleazar nods in agreement.

So with Paebel and Snarls in tow you leave Kavodel and make for the Temple of the Melachim in Kavodel.

You head north of the hills and mines, past th every edge of the outskirts of Kavodel, far from any buildings or where any other men would otherwise tread. The heretics dug their temple into the side of a hill there long ago and have been slowly expanding it for years. It is quite large now actually, in total volume significantly larger than the Temple of El in Zepath. Though that is a structure of beauty and splendor, the "temple" of the Melachim is a hole in the ground, a series of tunnels with mostly exposed earth walls. When Kavodel was young you limited the immigration by the heretics but later relaxed these limitations as you broadly expanded the population of your then mining camp turned village, turned thriving city.

You long ago banned the proselatyzing and open preaching of the Melachim worshipers in Kavodel and this is an edict they have respected. Their actions are kept covert and far from the city. Yet... they have influenced the history of your settlement none the less. In time all the heretics of Zepath made their way there and the small (secret) community in Tanaach as well when that city still stood. From the refugees and poor who made their way to Kavodel the heretics have gained quite a few converts by aiding them and befriending them when they first arrived. The total number of heretics in Kavodel is a small but significant amount of the total population.

Though they are a population which supports you utterly and are enthusiastically in favor of their Magistrate. Did you not free the slaves of Ibleam? A number of the Ibleamite refugees later joined their numbers, people who saw your heroic deeds in the temple of the Melachim. Some of them, once children saw you a shining beacon of light rescue them from the literal claws of demons deep beneath the earth. Justifying your edict as needed free men to fight to defend in case of attack, you banned the use of slaves for manual labor and in doing so have if not banned slavery in Kavodel outright, dramatically reduced its numbers compared to Zepath, Rimath and any nearby city. Among your band of heroes is Eleazar, commander of the Balls of Labaras and if the man is quite discreet(and he is), the heretics know well he is one of theirs. The heretics have some ideas about men and women being equal-ish, you even declared your daughter a man! The spoils of your conquest, filtered down through the wages and treasures of your Balls has financed their activities...

You have done a great deal, a great deal to support the views of the heretics and to please them even if that was not your intention. It is believed among many of them that you are secretly one of them. Paebel outright told you that some time ago though you denied it was true.

The heretics love you. But everyone in Kavodel loves you, especially since your return. You are just pretty drat awesome and it is well deserved! Still, you need to deal with these... issues with Obel. Tudiya is not truly aware of the extent of the activities of their heretics, nor of their creed and if he were to discover it there are going to be a few new heads placed onto pikes.

And perhaps they should be? You recieved obvious, miraculous divine support repeatedly recently and was the clearest message that your Benefactor sent you something along the lines of... "you will not (pray? prostrate? kneel? bow?) (to another?) again?" If El is aiding you, your culture is pretty clear on the bit that El expects to be worshiped alone. You are the magistrate of Kavodel, these people are your responsibility. Considering the deeds so far does your Benefactor seem like one for half measures? If you do not act as a banner-man for El should can you expect the next divine fist which descends to be upon your own ungrateful head? If your Benefactor is El, whoever it is, seems to be aiding you in a more open and obvious manner, if you act counter to its will what will happen?

Yet... what of the Watchers of Zepath who seemed very hands off on the question of telling mere mortals what to do and believe?

You arrive at the outside of the tunnel leading into the temple to see an unfinished statue of Lamasu.

Not all of the Melachim look like people. Some have a variety of strange shapes. Lamassu is not an Ophanim, but is a guardian Melachim associated with Smythos in the Old Tales. It looks like the statue is not finished. There is nothing obvious deviant or heretical about the statue, it is a common feature in traditional temples. The temple of El in Zepath actually has a very striking looking statue of Lamasu made of gold.

Torch in hand you walk through the tunnel to the temple itself. You don't need the torch of course, you can see in almost complete darkness, it is for Paebel and to a lesser degree, for Snarls.

"Then Ganal said to him "Be you so swift to climb? Are you certain?" And so the man considered and he said-" you hear a woman speaking. You can feel a number of Presences ahead and hear their heartbeats. You arrive in the main sanctuary of the temple, the largest chamber. It is about fifteen feet high and reinforced with timbers. Wood or stone benches lay about the chamber in rows, enough to sit about two hundred though from what you understand significantly more people may be in this room at a time. At the front of the chamber on a raised dais is a fairly plain and boring looking stone block, an altar. Behind the altar is that statue of Smythos which Obel was so upset about and in front of the altar is Hagar.

It looks like the older woman is teaching a number of her acolytes. Hagar is probably in her mid to late 60s and was once an acolyte of Bareen. The heretical hierarchy was thrown into disarray with the destruction of their old temple but at some point since you learned that Hagar became their "Cohen Gadol" which sounds vaguely like the secretive priestly language but if it is, you do not know what it means. Should you have been worried one of Bareen's faithful now lead her flock? When you asked Paebel he said you had nothing to worry about, Hagar was a good woman and not a trouble maker. Eleazar said the same.

There have been no meaningful clashes between the worshipers of El and the heretics in Kavodel, Adina and Gareb saw to that on (your?) end and Hagar, Eleazar and Paebel on the other. When you enter the chamber the old woman smiles and extends her arms saying "Magistrate! Welcome back! We prayed each day for your safe return. Welcome, welcome to the House of the Gods, you honor us by your visit. I beg only a moment." She looks to her students, mostly women between their late teens and late twenties but you see two young men among them as well, she says to them "Talk among yourself to consider the days lesson in the dormitory, I will fetch you to continue when the Magistrate is done." Her acolytes bow her head and leave. Each wears a garment of white with bits of blue on it, a garment not unlike those worn by the clergy of the House of El though less fancy or ornate. They do have these rather weird cords at the end though, they look like rather a lot of knots? The two male acolytes are also wearing some sort of weird contraption on their heads which looks like a box made of leather and tied around their forehead by leather straps? Odd. You've never seen anything like that before. It does not have a Presence but you don't sense anything weird about the Presence of any of the people here. The altar definitely has one though.

The acolytes depart and the old woman bows her head again and in a tone that sounds like she truly means it she says "Magistrate, I am honored by your visit. How may we serve?" Honestly the older woman just seems nice and all she was doing was telling the others some stories? From what it sounds like it may have actually been one from the Old Tales. These people aren't doing anything bad here, this may be a dirt tunnel but it even looks kind of nice? It smells... earthy. This is a good place. Obel is worrying over nothing, there is nothing to worry about. These people aren't trouble makers, they are totally on your side.

You can freely question Hagar. Normal rules apply except that you can if you wish, share whatever portions of Obel's statements with her that you want and work that into your question. At some point a new vote will go up, probably tomorrow evening.

Voting is closed on questions from the last vote for now, we will revisit them after this, though you can still submit plans if you want to.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 9, 2016

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

1C.

Cornuto's speech sounds far too flowery and Ishamal-ish for my liking. It makes it sound like we know far more than we really do and are being careful what we reveal, which will almost certainly lead our children to react the same way we would - desperately clawing for the slightest scraps of meaning, constructing ever-more-elaborate heresies, on the assumption that we know The Truth and hinting at it but not telling them outright. For the same reason, I'm inclined to tell them at least part of the truth about the crypt. Meanwhile, Paebel and co sound like they're already convinced that whatever comes out of our mouths will be divine wisdom. This is really bad - we have to bring them down to earth, and being mysterious and inscrutable isn't the way to do it.

For the kids:

Before I say anything, I will have your oaths that nothing I am about to say leaves this tent. Even as conversation among yourselves, lest someone else overhear.

[Wait for oaths.]

Well, there's no point in hiding it when you all worked it out long ago: yes, I have occasionally spoken with Melachim, as many heroes do. I suppose at this point you're expecting me to give you some nice, definitive, irrefutible answers from on high, but to do that I'd need to have them myself. Sometimes they have helped me, and very rarely they have asked me to carry out a task, but they have never taught me. I have not been given any special moral guidance, and they haven't revealed any secrets to me. They have not even told me whether El exists. If they wish you to know more about them, they will tell you themselves, and I would not pre-empt them in this.

The being in the crypt told me it was half-Melachim and half-human. I do not know how this is possible, or what it means. I do not even know whether releasing it into the world was a good idea. And I do not wish to say more of our conversation until I have understood it, lest I set you all on the wrong track.

As for El: I believe in him with all my heart.

For the others:

You ask me whether El is supreme and whether the Melachim desire worship as though you expect me to *know* rather than simply believe. You ask me whether the temple should be destroyed as though you think I've been given divine guidance on the matter. Well, I don't and I haven't been. But I am capable of using my own brain to interpret what I've seen, and I believe if you do the same you will come to the same conclusion as me.

The thing in the crypt told me he was not a Melachim but another ancient race, forgotten for good reason after a great tragedy. I will say no more on the matter.

4T. Strongly leaning towards destroying the statue, purging any similar idols looking like us, severely but non-lethally punishing Hagar for allowing it, and then continuing our policy of allowing the temple to continue operating while really really hoping they close it.

Fake edit: Welp, update. Let's read that, then.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 9, 2016

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Diogenes posted:

The acolytes depart and the old woman bows her head again and in a tone that sounds like she truly means it she says "Magistrate, I am honored by your visit. How may we serve?" Honestly the older woman just seems nice and all she was doing was telling the others some stories? From what it sounds like it may have actually been one from the Old Tales. These people aren't doing anything bad here, this may be a dirt tunnel but it even looks kind of nice? It smells... earthy. This is a good place. Obel is worrying over nothing, there is nothing to worry about.
Um. Do we smell citrus?

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Obel mistook the statue of Smythos to be a statue of me. Did you intentionally make the statue look like me? If so, why?

I betcha we innately like this place because they worship us to some extent.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

"Did you know that Odel found your temple, thinks that your statue of Smythos is one of me, and unless convinced otherwise will likely soon either kill all of you himself or bring Tudiya here to both kill you and cast me into great shame and dishonor depending on how enthusiastically I help butcher you?"

Question Time fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 9, 2016

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
Welp, pretty sure that confirms that they are in some way worshiping us. Also, on an unrelated note, have our grandchildren done anything interesting yet? I don't remember when our kids got married but I seem to remember that at least a couple grand kids have done manhood trials so maybe someone pops out while we are doing our catch-up updates in Kavodel. I always love a new character or two.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

In response to an IRC comment:

You have not been banned from speaking on religious matters. Only by Ishamal you have been prohibited from putting words in the mouth of El, Labaras, the House of El or claiming special divine revelation. Ishamal has cautioned you to be careful when you tell people what to believe, as they are likely to believe you because of how great you are. And you are pretty great. Whatever you tell them will probably be correct though. However that word of caution to be careful is not a prohibition. You raised several children, you run a city. You tell people what to do and what to believe about things all the time. You sit as a judge on people occasionally in matters of life or death or complicated matters of justice.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
1.A
2. I have seen many things, hopefully I will see many more. All of you are blessings in my life that I never would have guessed that I would have . You have seen some of the things that I have and it does invite questions.

Ashahel, I value your willingness to question but tempering it with faith in those that mean well would go far.

David, as far as I know your faith is not misplaced. Even though there seems to be those that would simplify life out of mercy and worry that men would do greater cruelty to others if given gifts.

Ruth, my decisions have given you the greatest burden in our society but I cherish you and value your unique perspective, I hope it continues.

(starting with questions in order being asked)

Ruth: To answer your question, Yes.

Ashahel: As far as faith goes, yes El is real. There are other things going on possibly and using your eyes and your heart to make decisions is a very good idea. Only one is with perfect wisdom.

David: No it was not, what it is is something that I cannot share.

(All Children): You have seen many things that do not fit with what people are taught and will certainly conflict with the house of El's possible intentions. I ask that you consider the possible consequences of your actions before taking them. There is only so much good to be done before evil happens.

3.As far as I know, El is real. El might not be what the House of El describes. Or what I have seen myself. Hagar's kindness to others is something that I wish would continue. I do not think that slavery as it stands is just. Fifty years is too long of a man's life to spend under a yoke. Most of all I think if those above had an opinion, they might want us to be generous and kind to each other.

Consider being a parent that never grows old with favored children that you need to let have their own decisions. They will make their decisions for good or ill to one another. Intervening every time they misstep would make them as cattle if you made the decisions for them.

I ask you, should the parent always intervene or simply guide as little as possible? If the melachim, merciful as they are, wanted to help in a war in the donut, without commanding someone one way or the other, how would they decide who got to live or who won?

There is no good answer and I would not want to ask that of the Melachim. Do good by others and try to do least harm.

4. W

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
1.B

2. Don't lecture them. Simply state that we aren't special, ask Paebel about all the dumb poo poo we've done . The Melachim do not want to be worshiped, but they are always listening. It takes nothing special to 'speak' with them. You only have to listen. If you haven't felt your heart full with El by now then go and pray

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We sure have been feeling great about ourself since we got back to town. Everything is great. I'm sure the other shoe will never drop.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Are you telling the story of Enkidu climbing Mount Har?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Diogines posted:

And you are pretty great. Whatever you tell them will probably be correct though.

I believe that Diog's repeated statements of this sort are foreshadowing or symptoms of the same type as the talking about the special mule that was actually a demon from before the last retcon. Our extreme confidence, or whatever you want to call it, could be a symptom of being worshipped which can eventually corrupt us? I suggest asking Ishamal about it.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

We sure have been feeling great about ourself since we got back to town. Everything is great. I'm sure the other shoe will never drop.
You should feel great, you ARE great!

pumpinglemma posted:

Um. Do we smell citrus?
You do not.

You ask Snarls.

Yes. They have food. And meats. And cheese. You know there to be food stored in the temple.

Obel mistook the statue of Smythos to be a statue of me. Did you intentionally make the statue look like me? If so, why?
Hagar says "No Magistrate, of course not." She looks at the statue for a long moment and then after a moments contemplation adds "I... have not thought about that before, truly. The artist may have been moved by your Magistrate but it is not uncommon for men to serve as models for statues."

I betcha we innately like this place because they worship us to some extent.
That is ridiculous. These people are harmless, in fact they are some of your strongest supporters and they share many of your core beliefs about life and the world. Of course they are good people, they are like you. Well not as great as you, obviously, but they try their best.

Butt Discussin posted:

"Did you know that Odel found your temple, thinks that your statue of Smythos is one of me, and unless convinced otherwise will likely soon either kill all of you himself or bring Tudiya here to both kill you and cast me into great shame and dishonor depending on how enthusiastically I help butcher you?"
In addition to the response above, on the rest of your question she looks shocked and says "Magistrate! I... that would be most unfortunate. Please, don't let the King find out. He will... make more of it than I fear he should. It is only a statue of Smattas. We kept it hidden away here as you wished."

pumpinglemma posted:

Are you telling the story of Enkidu climbing Mount Har?
"No Magistrate, it is the tale of the Tailor's Son." You are familiar with the story. A tailor and his entire family are killed by cannibals though others in their village are saved by the Melachim and a band of heroes. The tailors one surviving son is so grief stricken that they make for Mount Har, intent to climb it and die. Ganal, the guardian of Mount Har tries to talk him out of it saying that he is too young and sends him off on a quest for vengeance instead.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

What are the knotted cords on your acolytes' garments?

What are the boxes on your acolytes' heads?

Was Bareen the one to convince you that El is false? If so, why do you still disbelieve?

Have you ever talked to a Melachim? If so, describe them.
(Looking for something to suggest that she's being influenced by some non-Melachim power, like Bareen presumably was.)

How long has the statue of Lamassu been under construction?

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 9, 2016

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Butt Discussin posted:

I believe that Diog's repeated statements of this sort are foreshadowing or symptoms of the same type as the talking about the special mule that was actually a demon from before the last retcon. Our extreme confidence, or whatever you want to call it, could be a symptom of being worshipped which can eventually corrupt us? I suggest asking Ishamal about it.

This. Something is up with those statements and its up to us meddling demigods and our dog to solve this mystery.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

What are the knotted cords on your acolytes' garments?
Hagar says "Each knot represents one of the Laws of Labaras or the Commandments of Smattas. They serve as a reminder." There looked like hundreds of knots? Well, you did listen to a recitation of the law once via Snarls, there were hundreds of them. It took hours.

pumpinglemma posted:

What are the boxes on your acolytes' heads?
Hagar tells you that "Labara commanded that his sons should put his words on their hearts and on their souls, and that they would would rest between their eyes. Inside is a piece of clay upon which is written some of the law. They are called totafot."

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

"I believe, due to some interesting experiences but no special revelation, that El is real, and that the melachim are fallible, worship El, and do not wish to be worshipped themselves. However, I sympathize with many of your beliefs about the corruption of his priesthood, and about slavery and equality. Is there no way to reconcile the good in your beliefs with the House of El, which I believe can be reformed to something better than it currently is?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If we think about the temple being destroyed, do we have any feelings about it?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Diogines posted:

Hagar says "Each knot represents one of the Laws of Labaras or the Commandments of Smattas. They serve as a reminder." There looked like hundreds of knots? Well, you did listen to a recitation of the law once via Snarls, there were hundreds of them. It took hours.

Hagar tells you that "Labara commanded that his sons should put his words on their hearts and on their souls, and that they would would rest between their eyes. Inside is a piece of clay upon which is written some of the law. They are called totafot."

Diog: obviously we don't know about the totafot, but do we have any knowledge of this command of Labaras? If not, Hagar: what makes you believe Labaras said this?

Hagar: if these totafot are a traditional part of worship, why did Bareen's acolytes not use them?

e: Also, let's not state our own beliefs without a vote please!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

>>What are the knotted cords on your acolytes' garments?
==See above.

>>What are the boxes on your acolytes' heads?
==See above.

>>Was Bareen the one to convince you that El is false? If so, why do you still disbelieve?
==Hagar tells you that "She was Magistrate. In that she was correct. In other matters she was horribly, monstrously wrong and it will be the work of our lives to see that her madness is forgotten. We work ever to ensure it is so."

>>Have you ever talked to a Melachim? If so, describe them.
==Hagar says "I talk to them every day." Really? What did they say back? The old woman smiles at that and says "I am but a mortal Magistrate, I talk. They rarely deign to respond. I would suspect you have heard their clear voice far more than I."

>>How long has the statue of Lamassu been under construction?
==She says "About two months."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

If we think about the temple being destroyed, do we have any feelings about it?
You sure do. It is obviously a terrible idea. These people look to you for protection, you are their Magistrate. You fought for them at Tanaach and your men saved them on the Jubilee.

pumpinglemma posted:

Diog: obviously we don't know about the totafot, but do we have any knowledge of this command of Labaras? If not, Hagar: what makes you believe Labaras said this?
You've never heard of them or anything even remotely like them. A number of the heretics beliefs mirror the orthodox faith, some are very obviously different. But some of them are just plain... weird and alien. Apparently it is a crime against the gods to wear mixed types of fabric in one garment. Where the El did THAT one come from and what the heck does it even mean?

pumpinglemma posted:

Hagar: if these totafot are a traditional part of worship, why did Bareen's acolytes not use them?
Hagar says "Bareen would not train men for the priesthood and they are only for men while studying the law."

Nearly all of the heretical clergy are women, pretty much all of them but it looks like there are a handful of male acolytes.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Snarls: as an unbiased observer, are you getting an overwhelming, almost suspicious feeling of goodness and safety from this place, or is it just me?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

e: Also, let's not state our own beliefs without a vote please!

I would also like a vote on our current beliefs, which could then help us deal with this situation in a way that is less schizophrenic than normal. It's clear that the worship going on here is empowering us in some way, but also giving us delusions of grandeur or some other sort of mental status effect. We need to decide whether to embrace this, continue to waffle and hide it, shut it down, or try to figure out why and how it works.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Can we make a totafot to remind ourselves not to do stupid things

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Butt Discussin posted:

I would also like a vote on our current beliefs, which could then help us deal with this situation in a way that is less schizophrenic than normal. It's clear that the worship going on here is empowering is in some way, but also giving us delusions of grandeur or some other sort of mental status effect. We need to decide whether to embrace this, continue to waffle and hide it, shut it down, or try to figure out why and how it works.

Broadly speaking I try to avoid votes on what you officially believe. They tend to produce a very large amount of controversy. We generally vote on what you say and do, not what you believe.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Snarls: as an unbiased observer, are you getting an overwhelming, almost suspicious feeling of goodness and safety from this place, or is it just me?

No? But this is a good place! Finally back at the Den! Happy!

Snarls has been very, very happy to finally return to Kavodel. His tail has not stopped wagging much for the last two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I see. In that case, after this, can we vote on whether to tell the heretics here that we believe in El, and vote on whether to ask Ishamal later about the somewhat suspicious "grandeur" and narcissistic type feelings we've been getting in regards to the melachim worshippers?