Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

It wouldn't shock me if Trump were taking foreign contributions.

But the Soyuz pen company has been out of business for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've got 4 pens,
2 cheapo pens all jinhaos
1 okay pen: Pilot Metro
1 good pen: Sheaffer whose number I can't remember.

I need 1 more ink since I have only 3

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

taqueso posted:

It is an EF. It's at work so I can't check it out now, though. Did you get them replaced through Platinum or the retailer? Seems a little silly to be doing anything about such a cheap pen besides buying another one. I was mostly wondering because I have a few Preppies, like them quite a bit, and was thinking of buying more but I wouldn't if this is typical.

Goulet sent me a pair of replacements, have talked with platinum about it at all.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mr. Despair posted:

Goulet sent me a pair of replacements, have talked with platinum about it at all.

Turns out there is a crack in the cap. I really want to think this is an anomaly, so I'm going to go with that. *puts fingers in ears and starts humming*

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

taqueso posted:

Turns out there is a crack in the cap. I really want to think this is an anomaly, so I'm going to go with that. *puts fingers in ears and starts humming*

This is a fairly common issue with Preppies. The plastic used isn't the greatest but they're like $5 each. Just wrap a short length of tape around the bottom of the cap.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Okay, next question: How many inks do you have? I'm at six bottles (3 of the 1670s because I'm an idiot for bling, HoD, Ancient Copper, and a turquoise) and 8-9 sample vials from WonderPens. I will probably buy Noodler's "Swan in Austrailian Roses" (black/maroon) and "Lexington Grey" when I get bored again.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

65 bottles in my ink drawer, and several hundred more in C--'s collection in the other room.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

taqueso posted:

Yup, that's what happened with mine. The replacements have been trouble free for a year and a half now though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Got my Lamy 2000! First impression is that it is a beautiful pen that feels wonderful but seems to write on the scratchy side compared to something like even a Metro. Hopefully as I write with it more I will find that sweet spot and it will smooth up a bit. Also strange was reading that the fine would be like a medium from other brands - the line width is definitely what I would expect from a fine from any brand, which is mildly disappointing since I was hoping for a bit thicker, but it is certainly fine (heh) as is.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I've got like 10, but four are pretty near to empty, and one is basically just highlighter ink, and thus mostly useless…

I kinda want this exciting noodler's grabbag of an ink American Aristrocracy. But that's because unlike say, the various transitional formulas of Black Swans in Aus. Roses, they're a) quite upfront about how god knows what you'll get and b) I rather like all of these hues.

Then again, it doesn't look too terribly different from my Bk Swans in UK Roses, so there's not terribly much point. Still, they're quite nice.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pixelante posted:

Okay, next question: How many inks do you have? I'm at six bottles (3 of the 1670s because I'm an idiot for bling, HoD, Ancient Copper, and a turquoise) and 8-9 sample vials from WonderPens. I will probably buy Noodler's "Swan in Austrailian Roses" (black/maroon) and "Lexington Grey" when I get bored again.

2 bottles and a bunch of samples because I was signed up for Goulet's Ink Drop for like a year.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pixelante posted:

Okay, next question: How many inks do you have?

I somehow have 58 bottles or so, plus a small handful of samples, and I've used the majority of that ink at least once.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
12 bottles, a handful of Lamy Dark Lilac cartridges and about 8 samples. Inks I use frequently are Diamine blue/black, Noodler's HoD and BSB in pens I take to uni. I usually have Diamine Twilight in a pen I use at my desk, plus something more interesting in my Al-Star which I use a broad or 1.5 italic nib with. I usually have something pretty in my Ahab Flex like Edelstein Topaz for doodling.

There are like 10 inks I would happily buy tomorrow but won't because I also want more pens and have other expensive hobbies for a student.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just 4, all Iroshizuku, one sampler pack of 3 and a really nice orange.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

11 pens - in addition to the Lamy 2000 that just came today, from cheapest to most expensive, a Shaeffer F italic that I ground to a stub nib (which writes wonderfully), two pilot metros both medium, a Noodler Ahab, two Lamy Safaris (a yellow with a medium nib and a black/black EF), a Desiderata Flex (one of the older wooden ones - rosewood and ebony), a gold Cross Century classic medium nib (writes like a broad) and a Waterman Carinne. Unfortunately I can't find the last two...and they were my dad's which makes it even worse.

Inks I have 8 bottles right now in addition to many various cartridges I have collected. Iroshizuku - take-sumi, tsuki-yo, kon-peki, two bottles of tsukushi. Noodlers- heart of darkness and red-black, and Private Reserve - Ebony Blue. I need to get more ink...really need a good orange, purple, green and red.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

14 bottles and an indeterminate number of samples

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
5 "good" pens: Lamy Safari, Lamy CP1, Platinum Preppy, Namiki Falcon (rhodium), and a Pilot Art Pen (2.3), and a few "corporate gift" pens that people just dumped on me when they heard I liked fountain pens. I also have a Parker 51 but it has a busted sac and a crack in the lower half.

Then I have... 5 inks I bought:
Diamine Grape
Diamine Syrah
Diamine Ancient Copper (my favourite alongside Syrah)
Noodler's Tiananmen
Noodler's Heart of Darkness

And a friend of mine moved abroad recently and left me 3 bottles of Noodler's Bernanke Blue (gave one away), Diamine Meadow and Diamine Wild Strawberry. Not terribly fond of those two to be honest, and I guess Bernanke blue could come in handy if I ever need a blue, but I'll probably won't use it otherwise.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
I've got 10 pens :
pilot fermo dark green - F
pilot vanishing point yellow - bold (with Pelikan highlighter ink)
sailor chizasugi precious woods - Medium
sailor pro gear gold demonstrator - Medium-Fine
Twsbi vac mini - EF
Montblanc 146 (vintage monotone nib, F)
Montblanc 145 Platinum - M nib
Parker Vacumatic (1960s) - EF
Lamy 2000 - EF
Waterman 52 with Ideal #2 nib (super flexy F-3B, early 1900s lever filler)

and pretty much use the whole of the Sailor 4 seasons jentle ink line.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Chim posted:

and pretty much use the whole of the Sailor 4 seasons jentle ink line.

I'm really excited for a couple of the new colors. I know C-- will want them all, and I should probably get my own bottles of souten and tokiwa-matsu while we're at it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have 5 inks and 4 pens, one of which is a Noodler's Charlie that I don't use but got for free. I have a Copper Orange Lamy Al-Star with an EF nib that I keep loaded with Borealis Black, a Lamy Vista with a Fine nib that I keep Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki in, and a silver Pilot Metro Fine that I alternate with J Herbin's Lie de Thè or Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. I have a bottle of Apache Sunset that I don't really care for.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

7 pens, 7 inks.

* Three old Parker Vectors from when I was in high school (inked with Diamine Lavender, Oxblood, and Bilberry)
* Pilot MR (fine, Diamine Marine)
* TWSBI Diamond 580 (1.1 stub, Emerald of Chivor).
* Platignum No. 4 (Diamine Teal, don't use it much as it's often a bugger to get started, but it's a lovely looking pen)
* Platignum No. 5 (Diamine Sherwood, same as the other Platignum)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Four inks

7-8 vintage pens

Lamy Safari- daily driver

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

atholbrose posted:

I'm really excited for a couple of the new colors. I know C-- will want them all, and I should probably get my own bottles of souten and tokiwa-matsu while we're at it.

me too - sailor inks (especially the Jentle) have beautiful shading and sheen, and writes beautifully with pretty much any pen

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
https://imgur.com/vMcClfZ

I like my inks, and I think there's 40 pens in my hoard now?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh god are we listing our pen collections now?

Alright, I'm game. Also slightly terrified.

Delta: Indigenous Peoples Hawaii, Dolcevita Oro Midsize, Passion, The Journal, Italiana, 2X Vintage (blue and white), Unica, Italiana, Markiaro Gaiolat, Markiaro Posillipo
Pilot: Custom 912, Custom Legance, VP, Custom FK-700R, 2X Seremo, Metropolitan
Ohto: Dude, Proud, Tasche, Rook
Online: Campus Red Dragon, Academy Soft Pink, Vision Nature Rosewood, Icone Midnight
Pelikan: M800, M600, P505 Signum, Happy Pen, Stola III
Levenger: True Writer Select, 2x True Writer Classic (Java and Obsidian), Splendor Encore
Parker: 180, 51, 21, 45, Sonnet
Wing Sung: 659, 400, 237
Noodlers: 2x Acrylic Konrad (Lake Baikal and Appalachian Pearl), Charlie
Jinhao: 250, x450, x750, 2x 599 (medium and XF nibs)
Inoxcrom: 2x pocket mini (green and blue)
Nemosine: 2x Singularity (Demonstrator and Blue Marble).
Monteverde: Catalina, Intima
Kaweco Sport Classic
Platinum 3776
Cross Solo
Stipula Etruria Magnifica Black Gold
Muji MOMA Round Aluminum
Retro 51 Tornado Marlin EXT
Duke 116
Fuliwen 2037
Rotring Esprit
Reform 1745
Dollar 717i
Schmidt Intrinsic
Waterman Kultur
Baoer 051
and a couple of other random, unnamed pens

All I can say is that I'm glad that Perk and Swagbucks exist or I probably would've gone broke a long drat time ago with this hobby.

grack fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 9, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

In real life, how many people that you know also use fountain pens? I have a few students who see me using them, try them out and end up getting one somewhere but I am always surprised that more people don't use them since they are so awesome and superior to other pens. I can understand the older person who grew up with them and are into ball points or rollerballs because they are "better" since they were newer for them, but for the rest of us I don't see why anyone wouldn't use a fountain pen unless they had literally never heard of or seen one (which does seem like a larger amount of people the older I get).

Also another question - how did you get into fountain pens? My dad always used one so I had seen them from an early age. He always had a nice pen for general writing and also some music pens for writing out scores (he was a composer).

Which reminds me of one more question - anyone have any good music nib recommendations?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I know two people in real life who use fountain pens. One uses them exclusively for letters, and the other one uses them for daily writing like myself. The daily writing friend got me into them- she was moving to a different continent and insisted I write, and then was shocked that I was going to write with my nicest pen - a Pentel RSVP (still my favorite ballpoint) . One Lamy Al-Star started it all off. Now I've got several fountain pens and inks, most recently a Parker Vacumatic in silver (and a need to get all the other colors).

I think that Vacumatic nib is my favorite, except that it's very wet. I had no idea how much difference a little bounce to a nib makes- not even my Pilot Custom 74 comes close.

I've got another friend who tries to use Pilot Varsities but then gets upset when they're scratchy. He's also left handed - I think I need to get him a Metro & some Noodler's Bernake Blue.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

rio posted:

In real life, how many people that you know also use fountain pens? I have a few students who see me using them, try them out and end up getting one somewhere but I am always surprised that more people don't use them since they are so awesome and superior to other pens. I can understand the older person who grew up with them and are into ball points or rollerballs because they are "better" since they were newer for them, but for the rest of us I don't see why anyone wouldn't use a fountain pen unless they had literally never heard of or seen one (which does seem like a larger amount of people the older I get).

They are an expensive pain in the rear end to deal with compared to ballpoints/rollerballs and their better writing qualities don't really pay off unless you handwrite a lot of things in pen. And even then it's quite possible that dealing with poo poo like "how fast does the ink dry, how much will it smudge, what if I lose it, what if I drop it, will it hold enough to write all my notes or will I have to fill it up between classes?" is enough to make a lot of people(me included) go for rollerballs.

A friend who likes fountain pens got me to try them, and I'll admit it: the writing experience with a fountain pen is better. However, it's not better enough to justify dealing with all the bullshit that comes along with fountain pens.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Only two, and only because I gifted them the pens. I actually gave another friend a Metropolitan but he's never even used it. Wanker. :argh:

Back in primary school fountain pens were actually mandatory; we had to use Royal Blue colour ink ("washable", the kind that you could remove with ink eraser pens). I started using rollerballs in high school and only got back into fountain pens when I started learning Japanese, since I found FP's are really good for writing kanji, but I had a really crappy one and kept using cartridges.
Then a few years ago I came across this thread and decided to buy a Lamy CP1 with an italic nib and a couple bottles of ink, and down the rabbit hole I went.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I started using them because this thread let me know that I could get cheap starter ones and once I used them I was hooked.

Two of my high school students have spotted me using them, asked how I got them, and then wound up buying some online and using them. I also got my daughter using a pair of metros as her regular pens, though she did lose the Kaweco Sport I gave her as well the twerp

I find the writing experience with them much more enjoyable, I like the look of them as well and sure from a cost point of view I should just be using rollerballs but I'm willing to pay a bit more and put up with a bit more hassle for the ability to pick from hundreds of ink colours, plus it forces me to be careful and not keep losing pens.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
My partner uses fountain pens and gifted me one for an anniversary. Worst present, ended up getting hooked. I know one other person who I went to school with who uses them. Surprisingly, about two thirds of the psychiatrists I met during my psych rotation used a FP, as well as one of the cardiologists I know.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I went to high school with Matt Armstrong of the Pen Habit, does that count?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My GF bought a Monteverde Arista after she saw me messing with my metros, and the body promptly clouded up and the filling mechanism was impossible to get back together perfectly after she took it apart to clean it.

She's back to ballpoints because that pen was a pain in the rear end.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got into it after trying out my friends collection of Lamys, and then Massdrop had a good price on the Faber-Castell Loom, as I loved the aesthetics. Then while ordering ink, fabric wrap and converter for the loom I figured, while I'm paying shipping from America may as well get another pen, and further down the spiral I go.

As for other people, he's the only one I know who uses fountain pens. I'd like to get more of my friends into them, but they just don't care and I can't really fault them for it. I wanted to make writing a bigger part of my day to day life and move away from my phone but that's not important to them.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in the UK, so I wrote with fountain pens in school between about 8 and 15 but I didn't appreciate how nice they were to write with. By the time I hit exams, I was scribbling with a rollerball like everyone else. I found one of my old Vectors when moving flat back in 2010 but only wrote with it a few times until I found this thread. Now, I write goddamn everything with a fountain pen, and even bought a Midori Traveller's Notebook just to have something I can carry about to write in because holy Hell I love the stub nib on the Diamond 580.

I only know one other person who uses a fountain pen, a guy at work. We used to fight quite a bit until we noticed that we both had a thing for fountain pens, so now we can at least agree on something (like how foolish other people are for not using fountain pens).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I got into FPs because of this thread. Tentatively started with a metro and then expanded. Now have some nice VPs with custom nibs, Lamy 2K, Sailor 1911, a Parker 51 and 61, and a few others. I used to be into writing instruments as a kid but was not serious about it and my parents did not fuel that interest (like everything else "not constructive" in their minds). Now they think I'm silly and just write with whatever is around.

I have a few pens that I use exclusively for work because while they are nice, they are easily replaceable. Otherwise my more expensive and limited pens I keep at home and write at home. I have let some people use my FPs and some like them, some don't really care, or some don't like them. I have a lefty at work and whenever he uses them, ink just splashes everywhere on the paper and his hands. I have no idea what the hell he is doing. Smooth nibbed pens too like a 1911. Fortunately they are fairly stiff nibbed so they weren't sprung.

At the hospital I used to work at there were a few surgeons who used FPs. Certainly more did after I showed them my collection. Other internal medicine docs used them but I think they already were using them from growing up in India or where ever. Certainly helpful for writing daily progress notes despite the lower grade paper (which I ended up just using iron gall or pigmented inks).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I write by hand a lot for work and started having issues with gout in my hands in my early 20s.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The only fountain pen owner I know other than myself is my 91-year-old grandfather, who is a very skilled calligrapher and overall has impeccable handwriting. I impulse-bought a Cross Aventura for :20bux: a couple years ago and loved the feeling of writing with a fountain pen so much that I grabbed some jinhaos and a couple old Esterbrooks off eBay, learned how to restore the Esterbrooks to writing shape, and the rest is history.

My grandfather tried to teach me calligraphy when I was a kid, but back then I didn't have any attention span for it. Now I'm learning on my own.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was always kind of a stationery nerd and ran across a Pilot Varsity or some other sort of disposable fountain pen in a bookstore when I was still in school and pretty much thought it was the coolest thing ever. My dad bought me a couple of fountain pens at a yard sale, one of which was broken and the other one was a leaky and bent-up Sheaffer No-Nonsense which I used for a long time despite its condition. I also had a cheap crow quill drawing set and a glass dip pen and that was the extent of my collection until I ran across the previous version of this thread and ended up getting back into the hobby with a Noodler's pen and a couple of bottles of ink and a shitload of samples from Goulet. I ended up going the route of Metropolitan + an assortment of cheap Chinese pens until I kinda figured out what my preferences are and now I have like 8 Metros because I need all the colors and a few vintage pens acquired through questionable ebay decisions lol

I have an online friend who I got hooked on fountain pens because I kept talking about them, and also found out kind of randomly that the former principal of the high school here is a big pen nerd when he saw me using a pen at a meeting and got really excited :3:

I write a lot for work but am also happy enough using a V5/V7 if comfort is the only consideration; using a fountain pen for me is mostly about the aesthetic, using fun inks, and making my handwriting pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Started dating the thread OP, she got me into fountain pens. Now we live together and have many pens and many inks.