Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Lol jesus christ. Its 2016 and people cant read well enough for manufacturing jobs. That entire region needs to be put on probation.

If that happened lowtax wouldn't be able to post, I think. Isn't he in like Missouri or Missoula or Thailand? One of those southern states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Lol jesus christ. Its 2016 and people cant read well enough for manufacturing jobs. That entire region needs to be put on probation.

I worked in Mountain Brook, AL in 1997-1998 doing utility work for a regional cable provider. I sat through multiple meetings where everything on the whiteboard was horrendously misspelled in a phonetically correct way (ie, closure -> closher). They're proud as gently caress about being uneducated, too.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Citizen Tayne posted:

I worked in Mountain Brook, AL in 1997-1998 doing utility work for a regional cable provider. I sat through multiple meetings where everything on the whiteboard was horrendously misspelled in a phonetically correct way (ie, closure -> closher). They're proud as gently caress about being uneducated, too.

I lived in central AL for more than a decade. This story or any episode of squidbillies provides a surprisingly accurate gist of the intellectual horrors you will face as a stranger down in that shithole.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

wayne curr posted:

What in the actual gently caress Texas?

Half of this loving city is just highways and parking lots :catstare:

Texas should be converted into a national septic tank. At least it would be useful then.

Apr 7, 2003

Nostratic posted:

Texas should be converted into a national septic tank. At least it would be useful then.

Texas is economically very important to the United States and pumps out GDP at a level way out of proportion to their size and population.

Unfortunately, Texas does that by eating their population alive.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

The people of the South have a long tradition of blaming all their problems on the union

this was brilliant

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This is still true for jobs that require enough literacy/competence to answer unscripted calls and manage accounts. Enough powerpoints and hand-holding to get them functional, but any interface changes or hiccups and you'd think the whole place is burning down.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

canyoneer posted:

The people of the South have a long tradition of blaming all their problems on the union

LMAO

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

Texas is economically very important to the United States and pumps out GDP at a level way out of proportion to their size and population.

Unfortunately, Texas does that by eating their population alive.

And the people of Texas just take it. It ranks 46 in voter participation. Their mind set is they want the govt. to leave them alone but that lack engagement means they're just screwing themselves.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Adix posted:

This is still true for jobs that require enough literacy/competence to answer unscripted calls and manage accounts. Enough powerpoints and hand-holding to get them functional, but any interface changes or hiccups and you'd think the whole place is burning down.

Yeah, it's the broad concept of 'basic literacy isn't technical literacy" that I quoted. People can easily be lacking the proper literacy, it isn't so simple a matter of either "Illiterate" or "literate"

My experience is mostly mechanical with technical literacy though and purely in the south. I've spent the last 12 years drifting around, typically as a temp at factories. I've worked at more than a half dozen.

With turnover rates (my year at a food factory saw 100+ people quit or fired.) I've worked with literally thousands of workers, and aside from transplants 95% of them have been from the south. I fully believe the story that people were too dumb to run a machine that was as simplified as possible. Because I've got 100 stories about idiots exactly like that. Some people so stupid I'll never forget the moment like 9/11 or something because I was just unable to believe what was happening.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wanna hear those stories. Either make a thread or a quick post in here

Jastiger has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Sep 9, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
reminder that over one in ten americans are "functionally illiterate"

this means that they know how to recognize certain words like stop and milk and exit and steak just based on what they look like, but cannot read or write sentences, sometimes even simple ones

it is strongly linked to poverty so this number is expected to rise

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
The south is dumb

Fat Shat Sings has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Sep 15, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
"Don't have Nazi friends" is a reasonable conclusion to make

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

monster on a stick posted:

"Don't have Nazi friends" is a reasonable conclusion to make

are you from the south?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

So this is just the "The south sux" thread now. Time for a name change.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

JB50 posted:

So this is just the "The south sux" thread now. Time for a name change.

Well over thousands of posts in seven months the thread has changed topics a ton of times because that's how any long running discussion typically goes. Currently it's a discussion on regional issues companies have had and a focus in the manufacturing sector because there is no real news being posted about the overall topic of companies failing in general. The south is being focused on specifically because it has institutionalized stupidity which has severe effects on a number of things to do with companies, sometimes causing them to circle the drain.

Fat Shat Sings has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Sep 9, 2016

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Wow, who'd have thought that Wells Fargo forcing it's ever dwindling staff to meet unrealistic sales goals would turn out badly?!

:iiam:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

CubanMissile posted:

Wow, who'd have thought that Wells Fargo forcing it's ever dwindling staff to meet unrealistic sales goals would turn out badly?!

:iiam:

I hadn't heard anything about this

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/wells-fargo-created-phony-accounts-bank-fees/

quote:

The phony accounts earned the bank unwarranted fees and allowed Wells Fargo employees to boost their sales figures and make more money.

The scope of the scandal is shocking. An analysis conducted by a consulting firm hired by Wells Fargo concluded that bank employees opened over 1.5 million deposit accounts that may not have been authorized.

The way it worked was that employees moved funds from customers' existing accounts into newly-created ones without their knowledge or consent, regulators say. The CFPB described this practice as "widespread."
Customers were being charged for insufficient funds or overdraft fees -- because there wasn't enough money in their original accounts.

Additionally, Wells Fargo employees also submitted applications for 565,443 credit card accounts without their customers' knowledge or consent. Roughly 14,000 of those accounts incurred over $400,000 in fees, including annual fees, interest charges and overdraft-protection fees.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
A lot of bank managers were fired but of course no one top level. The articles say that this is so employees could make more money but my gut says that mid level managers were forcing unrealistic sales goals on low level employees to get bonuses, so the tellers had to desperately come up with ways of getting more accounts to keep their jobs.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

CubanMissile posted:

A lot of bank managers were fired but of course no one top level. The articles say that this is so employees could make more money but my gut says that mid level managers were forcing unrealistic sales goals on low level employees to get bonuses, so the tellers had to desperately come up with ways of getting more accounts to keep their jobs.

Yup another victory for high pressure sales metrics.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

"NAZIS?! DID YOU SAY NAZIS?!?"

But we lived in a rural area and the yokels there refused to hear any reasonable explanation.

Holy poo poo is this a story I can relate to.I moved to a rural area a few years ago, and I have to be very careful with everything I do and say because combined with a very limited vocabulary, people will believe the first thing that comes to their heads when you talk to them. Despite the charming reputation that small towns have, the #1 pass-time is gossip and people can be nasty.

There's also a strong resistance to new ideas or anything that hasn't been done there for 100 years, and if people ever get the impression that "you're acting like you're better than them" things can get really bad, really quick.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Tbf I suspect most reactors of being actual nazis too.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Professor Shark posted:

Holy poo poo is this a story I can relate to.I moved to a rural area a few years ago, and I have to be very careful with everything I do and say because combined with a very limited vocabulary, people will believe the first thing that comes to their heads when you talk to them. Despite the charming reputation that small towns have, the #1 pass-time is gossip and people can be nasty.

There's also a strong resistance to new ideas or anything that hasn't been done there for 100 years, and if people ever get the impression that "you're acting like you're better than them" things can get really bad, really quick.

One time some co-workers were in the middle of a 15 minute discussion about how a "country rear end whuppin aint the same thing as a city boy fight"

They asked me if I ever got a country rear end whipping

I responded that I only hit women because they are softer and my fists bruise easily

I immediately have two of them trying to take me outside to actually fight me in the parking lot for disrespecting a woman that never existed. One actually waited for me at the end of the day and was just shouting at me as i walked to my car trying to get me to go throw down.

Edit: Also a friend was crazy for Obama in 2008 and put bumper stickers on my car he had leftover after campaigning. Cue countless occasions of people screaming out their windows at me, flipping me off and one guy jumping out at a red light trying to get me out of my car.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

CubanMissile posted:

This has been going on for at least 20 years that I know of, and it's not just Wells Fargo, either. My ex-GF was a longtime employee of BofA and all her friends were either employees air ex-employees. The metrics(although that wasn't a term yet in those days) required tellers to open x number of new accounts a week, and if you didn't, you'd be fired.
Didn't matter how helpful, punctual, accurate and cheerful you were, if you didn't get these new accounts, you were gone.

A lot of these employees were single moms and desperately needed that paycheck, and the practice of opening bogus accounts for people was widespread, encompassing all branches that I knew of in a large geographical area. In those days, they weren't actually moving customer's money around, it was mostly CC's and zero-balance savings accounts, but it was still hosed up fraudulent poo poo and the management and regional management were well aware of what was going on.

Of course plausible deniability was front and center, so if anyone was caught it was just "rogue tellers'.

gently caress the major banks, they should have been gone in '08.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
As a former retail banking employee I would be shocked if this sort of thing wasn't happening at just about every major bank. The irony is that the only people who actually physically go to banks anymore are people who usually aren't in a position to be opening up accounts left and right. So, people with money use electronic checks, direct deposit, and monitor their accounts on the internet. The people who are cashing their 300 dollar paychecks go into the bank and get asked to use online bill pay, open savings accounts, and sign up for 20% APR credit cards. No wonder the cashiers are flubbing numbers.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fasdar posted:

As a former retail banking employee I would be shocked if this sort of thing wasn't happening at just about every major bank. The irony is that the only people who actually physically go to banks anymore are people who usually aren't in a position to be opening up accounts left and right. So, people with money use electronic checks, direct deposit, and monitor their accounts on the internet. The people who are cashing their 300 dollar paychecks go into the bank and get asked to use online bill pay, open savings accounts, and sign up for 20% APR credit cards. No wonder the cashiers are flubbing numbers.

How do they not get statements or notices of overdraft or anything?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

Texas ... pumps out GDP at a level way out of proportion to their size and population.

not really though lol your GDP per capita is about $58k which is good but not out of proportion to anything. You're like 10 or 11th in GDP per capita.

Apr 7, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

not really though lol your GDP per capita is about $58k which is good but not out of proportion to anything. You're like 10 or 11th in GDP per capita.

Don't yell at me, I wouldn't be caught dead in Texas. 10th or 11th out of 50 is pretty good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it is good, I'm just a pedantic butthole and had to point out that it isn't really out of proportion to other well performing states

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Moridin920 posted:

it is good, I'm just a pedantic butthole and had to point out that it isn't really out of proportion to other well performing states

I get the feeling he didn't to say "GDP" but instead meant overall contribution to the US economy, in which case Texas is 3rd, behind California and New York (and 12th overall in the world!)

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Darth123123 posted:

How do they not get statements or notices of overdraft or anything?

If you're referring to the customers whose identities were being used in this particular scheme, it is very likely that the new accounts were created with either dummy addresses or - as is often the case with the "barely banking" community (i.e., poor people who use bank accounts mainly to transform checks into cash), they simply never read the letters that come in the mail. Or, the bankers signed them up for online bill receipt, thereby removing anything signals to the automated system that sends out paper statements.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus Christ posted:

I get the feeling he didn't to say "GDP" but instead meant overall contribution to the US economy, in which case Texas is 3rd, behind California and New York (and 12th overall in the world!)

Well he said in proportion to their population. GDP does mean contribution to the economy. But he meant like they are 3rd in the nation despite having a smaller populace implying they are more efficient at creating wealth (productive) than other rich states which isn't really true.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I honestly have no idea how banks fail or become retarded. They get near 0 interest federal loans, then lend it out at ~12%. That's literally all they have to do. Then they try to muck it up with retail banking horseshit. It's honestly funny how awful they are. I hate this corporate landscape where companies have to "expand" into markets they have no business dealing with.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Well he said in proportion to their population. GDP does mean contribution to the economy. But he meant like they are 3rd in the nation despite having a smaller populace implying they are more efficient at creating wealth (productive) than other rich states which isn't really true.

pumping it out of the ground is pretty efficient

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Sep 9, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

radiatinglines posted:

pumping it out of the ground is pretty efficient

TX is not the only state with mineral and oil deposits.

darkhand posted:

I honestly have no idea how banks fail or become retarded. They get near 0 interest federal loans, then lend it out at ~12%. That's literally all they have to do. Then they try to muck it up with retail banking horseshit. It's honestly funny how awful they are. I hate this corporate landscape where companies have to "expand" into markets they have no business dealing with.

Greed.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

TX is not the only state with mineral and oil deposits.

it was a joke, I'm saying Texas is wealthy because we pump wealth out of the ground

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

darkhand posted:

Citibank started charging me like $25 a month because I didn't have several thousand dollars in my checking account. If I have several thousand dollars extra I'm not putting it in a loving checking account, I'm buying stock or something like that. Anyway I dropped them that month and went to a credit union after being with Citibank for a decade. I'm guessing things like that are why they are loving up? But I don't know because from what I've read they don't even want people like me as a customer.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Citibank started charging me like $25 a month because I didn't have several thousand dollars in my checking account. If I have several thousand dollars extra I'm not putting it in a loving checking account, I'm buying stock or something like that. Anyway I dropped them that month and went to a credit union after being with Citibank for a decade. I'm guessing things like that are why they are loving up? But I don't know because from what I've read they don't even want people like me as a customer.

Same here, it's what prompted my bankhate. 25 loving dollars so I can use their online checking that runs like horseshit, so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Esp cuz I'm guessing the interest rate on the account was less than half a percent right?

I really am absolutely baffled as to why anyone pays for checking/savings accounts or why banks think it is a good move to nickel and dime customers to have a marginal gain on their balance sheets.