Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
They should let us go full barbarian and chop off their heads and put them on pikes to deter invaders. Visitors would also see it and go away. "The visitors from Gordon's Creek were considering visiting, but they saw the bloodshed we inflicted and decided against it. -10 relations."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
They need to bring back the fear features that were planned out. We can already turn prisoners loose missing their arms, half their organs, and eye balls; if I'm busy re-enacting Event Horizon in my medical wing at least one of these factions better recognize my efforts.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

IAmTheRad posted:

They should let us go full barbarian and chop off their heads and put them on pikes to deter invaders. Visitors would also see it and go away. "The visitors from Gordon's Creek were considering visiting, but they saw the bloodshed we inflicted and decided against it. -10 relations."

I love the idea for flavor and having extra periods where there's no active crisis wouldn't be nothing, but basically this would turn the times when you draw a raid event into either nothing happening for a weaker raiding party, or a stronger raiding party just not giving a poo poo and coming at you.

In general, I can understand not wanting to add and support options like a gallows for public executions and gibbets for deterrence, but that poo poo is far from a common practice anytime you wind up with humans in small subsistence settlements that are subject to exterior violence.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

I love the idea for flavor and having extra periods where there's no active crisis wouldn't be nothing, but basically this would turn the times when you draw a raid event into either nothing happening for a weaker raiding party, or a stronger raiding party just not giving a poo poo and coming at you.

In general, I can understand not wanting to add and support options like a gallows for public executions and gibbets for deterrence, but that poo poo is far from a common practice anytime you wind up with humans in small subsistence settlements that are subject to exterior violence.

It'd probably work if it increased the time for the next raid of X faction you do it to, but when the next one DOES show up it'll be quite a bit bigger.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think if your colony is a horrifying compound surrounded by mass graves and decaying skeletons, multiple factions should team up to take you out. That, or when the normal raiders become too afraid to attack you, you should get hit by tons of mechanoids instead.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Couldn't you make your surroundings horrible and disgusting on purpose to tank the raiders' moods and get them to kill each other?

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Hah, take THAT bugs!

Even though 4 hives spawned altogether, the fact that they're in an isolated, DISTANT mineshaft means I don't need to worry about them for a long, long time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Elth posted:

Couldn't you make your surroundings horrible and disgusting on purpose to tank the raiders' moods and get them to kill each other?

in theory, but it would tank your colonists mood too

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Internet Explorer posted:

I love this game, but I am terrible at it. Have had it for a good long time, too. I never play anything that isn't year round / mountainous. How do you even set up a base if you can't use mountains as walls? Wall the whole thing in and have no natural chokepoints / kill zones? Ugh.

It's not too bad. On maps with large or small hills I can usually incorporate the terrain for partial wall coverage on at least 3 sides, and just build wooden walls to enclose the camp. Upgrade to stone eventually but wood keeps manhunter packs out at least.

Make sure you have one door per side and set up defenses outside each. Someone in this thread suggested using a box made up of alternating stone walls and sandbags, the idea being your guys take cover behind the stone "columns" and peek out over the sandbags to shoot. Roof the area too so it's dark and harder to aim into. Add in some turrets once you can and you're set.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Whoa, lighting affects shots? Hadn't even crossed my mind.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Hah, take THAT bugs!

Even though 4 hives spawned altogether, the fact that they're in an isolated, DISTANT mineshaft means I don't need to worry about them for a long, long time.

The downside to this is when you DO have to worry about them, there will be approximately 1 billion bugs. Fortunately they're in a one-exit deep mineshaft, so you can just throw a bunch of flammable expendables in the entrance hall, block the exit with stone doors, and molotov the burnin' heap. The temperature inside should reach smelting levels.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
150-170c should heatstroke them to death overnight, and the more you let them breed, the more delicious bug meat for kibble you get for free

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Boy, I just had two raids in the same day. I wiped out the first group of pirates and then a second group showed up while I was still rescuing a downed guy and taking a captive from the first bunch. I guess that's Randy for you. It was the best start I've ever had in Rimworld, too. I got cargo pods with ~24 medicine and a self-tamed grizzly bear in the first month.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

The downside to this is when you DO have to worry about them, there will be approximately 1 billion bugs. Fortunately they're in a one-exit deep mineshaft, so you can just throw a bunch of flammable expendables in the entrance hall, block the exit with stone doors, and molotov the burnin' heap. The temperature inside should reach smelting levels.

Actually I just made 4 coolers and lowered the temperature to -20+ and killed all the hives and killed almost everything but a few lingering spelopedes and megaspiders.

Also:

WHAT.
THE.
gently caress.

The doc had medicine 13, two bionic eyes, a hospital bed with vitals monitor attached, was using a regular medkit and she was on wakeup which boosted her surgery success rate to 132%.

Normally I take "132% surgery success chance" as it being impossible to gently caress up royally.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Actually I just made 4 coolers and lowered the temperature to -20+ and killed all the hives and killed almost everything but a few lingering spelopedes and megaspiders.

Also:

WHAT.
THE.
gently caress.

The doc had medicine 13, two bionic eyes, a hospital bed with vitals monitor attached, was using a regular medkit and she was on wakeup which boosted her surgery success rate to 132%.

Normally I take "132% surgery success chance" as it being impossible to gently caress up royally.

Tynan's vision!!!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

dyzzy posted:

Whoa, lighting affects shots? Hadn't even crossed my mind.

It's a good idea to scatter some roofed torches around your kill boxes for the same reason.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Pumpkinreaper posted:

WHAT.
THE.
gently caress.

Tynan's been playing too much :xcom:

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

LonsomeSon posted:

Funny enough, there were gibbets in an earlier build of the game; I remember building labyrinths of gibbets that raiders had to weave through in order to approach. Personally I love the idea of fear and deterrence, and the more psychological horror the better, however if implemented in a balanced way I could imagine it being frustrating as your own colonists ran screaming from scary things.

What I really want is an irrigation model. We have some of that with the Moisture Pump for turning wet ground dry, but I'd rather have the opposite: I want to dig ditches, irrigate my fields, and build moats or mudpits to delay melee raiders.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

With the heads-on-pikes stuff, I think it could work if there was a major initial negative moodlet, which slowly tapered (over the course of seasons, or years) to nothing as your people got used to it. It could present some amusing problems with new recruits, where the bedraggled horribly wounded escape pod survivor finally agrees to join your group... Only to get hit with the major initial penalty as they walk outside for the first time and see their new friends casually eating lunch and sowing fields under the rotting gaze of dozens of impaled skulls. There's also plenty of ways to balance it out, as mentioned before... Plus things like, for example, an increased chance of manhunter attacks drawn by the smell of meat, reduced trading opportunities, maybe even a late-game event of a raid from offworld forces. Stories of your butchery and savagery have spread to the civilizations your colonists once called home, and they feel compelled to stop your atrocities with drop-pods of Space Marines decked out in Masterwork power armor and rocket launchers, juiced to the gills on Wake-up and Yayo....

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I heard of somebody setting up a custom scenario where all their colonists were psychically deaf, and built a horrible golden temple around any psychic ships that dropped in. After a certain point any and all non-deaf people just go loving insane instantly, apparently.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GenericOverusedName posted:

I heard of somebody setting up a custom scenario where all their colonists were psychically deaf, and built a horrible golden temple around any psychic ships that dropped in. After a certain point any and all non-deaf people just go loving insane instantly, apparently.

That sounds tight and would go along great with the request to put mechanoid bodies up as statues. Build your colony around worship of the great metal overseers.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

I just have a dump stockpile called "Mass Grave", idk

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There really should be a negative mood modifier for enemies seeing corpses/graves in your front yard. It would make sense for them to nope the gently caress out if you already have 300 of their buddies' skeletons surrounding your compound.

There is a negative mood modifier for seeing an unburied corpse and invaders are also affected by it. It's pretty small though.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Foo Diddley posted:

I just have a psycho butcher.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gantolandon posted:

There is a negative mood modifier for seeing an unburied corpse and invaders are also affected by it. It's pretty small though.

It also has a stack limit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LonsomeSon posted:

You could literally just apply a mood debuff which would then make attackers more prone to morale failure with the existing "saw ally die" "injured" "in pain" debuffs they already accumulate.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah the corpse wall is pretty disturbing, but we got such nice meals and all this goddamn weed so I don't give a gently caress!

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Aleth posted:

That's the answer to many problems in Rimworld, and real life as well.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Aleth posted:

Doesn't this still give all your other colonists the "the colony butchered a human" bad mood?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Doesn't this still give all your other colonists the "the colony butchered a human" bad mood?

6 points is hardly a problem, especially when the reward is free kibble.

E; I don't even care if the butcher is psycho at this point, the butchered human debuff maxxes at 4x and -16 is easily absorbed when you give them lots of drugs and a comfy chair to do the butchering in.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Comfy human leather armchairs for everyone at that.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Aleth posted:

Comfy human leather armchairs for everyone at that.

Human leather is nice and supple, but I prefer to sell the stuff for a mint instead. I've got alpaca wool, pig skin, and labrador fur coming out of my rear end now, so I just go with that. Feeding all these critters sure takes a lot of kibble; but an army of haulers and colonist rescue dogs/pigs is kind of handy.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 8, 2016

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Aleth posted:

Yeah, I have a psychopath cannibal butcher I nickname "Sweeney Todd" who chops up the bodies. I sell the meat and leather to traders.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, do I put them all back in for more skillups, or let him go?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Catch another one and mix and match parts.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Pumpkinreaper posted:

So, do I put them all back in for more skillups, or let him go?

dear loving lord this game makes us into monsters

edit: also, people should post layouts. I'm trying to get ideas for when my current outpost collapses horribly

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 9, 2016

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

dear loving lord this game makes us into monsters

edit: also, people should post layouts. I'm trying to get ideas for when my current outpost collapses horribly

I ended up letting the guy go since it'd be too much effort to keep doing that to grind up medicine (not to mention risk of losing all of that money from selling the organs). I don't know if he found his way home though, I mean he can't see or hear.

Also

I really want to see someone make a photoshop of this.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Foo Diddley posted:

Instead of butchering them and then making kibble I just construct an extra, smaller freezer for an outsider corpse locker and let my dogs go have a gnaw when they want some meat. Bonus: the dogs take care of stocking their pantry after every fight.

e: also, this was the best image I could come up with in less than 30 seconds of searching, seems like there ought to be more realizations of colonists' artistic visions out there.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 9, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LonsomeSon posted:

Instead of butchering them and then making kibble I just construct an extra, smaller freezer for an outsider corpse locker and let my dogs go have a gnaw when they want some meat. Bonus: the dogs take care of stocking their pantry after every fight.

How do you ensure your dogs are eating the corpses instead of your regular food stockpile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Away all Goats posted:

How do you ensure your dogs are eating the corpses instead of your regular food stockpile?

Just set animal areas