Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If you're not here to have a conversation, at least be funny. If you can't be either, don't post.

Regardless of whether or not a thread is full of bad opinions, posting just to dismissively write everyone/anyone off with nothing to bring to the table, nothing at stake, is meaningless white noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My 2 cents is that the basement was utterly predictable but that was entirely necessary.

It didn't need to be shocking, the consequences of having been there should be good though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Truly, the basement was Attack on Titan's Fishman Island. Its No Man's Sky. A thing that, no matter what, could not possible live up to expectations.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Elias_Maluco posted:

Where are you all reading the chapter?

in the basement

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If you know other languages there's some translations out there faster than the english one.

Bad Seafood posted:

If you're not here to have a conversation, at least be funny. If you can't be either, don't post.

Regardless of whether or not a thread is full of bad opinions, posting just to dismissively write everyone/anyone off with nothing to bring to the table, nothing at stake, is meaningless white noise.

Is this for me? Because I agree. My purposefully lovely passive aggressive post wasn't found funny but I guess I'm glad it called down a voice of reason or two.

Opinion: The dust has settled on Armin's survival but at least they're telling him immediately that he can't be a replacement for Erwin. If they actually run with that and he doesn't double down on being a cold blooded planner then it could almost salvage his character. This is an even more interesting possibility now that everybody back home wanted to welcome Erwin and his ideas back with open arms. Somebody has to step up and fill those shoes. Will it be Hanji? One of the other important officers like Pixis? The reorganization of society within the walls, the scouting legion, and potential technological progression to come are honestly a lot more interesting to me than the truth of the basement.

After all these years of buildup the basement just wasn't going to be a satisfying reveal. It was unlikely to come close to the realization that there were titan shifters out there or when one of the titans suddenly spoke and expressed curiosity in 3DMG. And we're just not going to get anything like that without it being completely out of left field like, say, it was suddenly an alien experimentation camp all along. It certainly could have been more interesting than "It's actually peaceful out there" but Isayama really liked MuvLuv Alternative I guess.

iamanLLC
May 25, 2007

We're all dead and this is hell...
Maybe the people inside the walls are dangerous to everybody outside for some reason.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I kind of like the hints at some notion of ancestral sin that's keeping the people inside the walls while the rest of the world moves on like normal. Gives me Amigara Fault vibes. I think the who and the why of this question is a more compelling mystery than the source of the titans, even. Like what if there's a perfectly good reason for it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
People had their loving families who never did anything to anyone legit murdered over this poo poo, the easiest way to make this worse than it is is to try and act like the people who died are somehow at fault for the mere crime of trying to survive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baal posted:

People had their loving families who never did anything to anyone legit murdered over this poo poo, the easiest way to make this worse than it is is to try and act like the people who died are somehow at fault for the mere crime of trying to survive.
Sins of the Father is not an unfamiliar belief nor is it any less deplorable and foolish, yet people still to this day blame children for the actions of the parents even if it makes no sense.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That makes it a legit not good reason and trying to portray it as such would be stupid which is why I said that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Baal posted:

That makes it a legit not good reason and trying to portray it as such would be stupid which is why I said that.

Yeah, I didn't mean in a "sins of the father" kind of way. The only way to spin their captivity as a good thing for the larger world is if there's something legitimately, supernaturally wrong with them.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
People were talking about muv luv before and I for so long was 90% sure that they would find diaries in the basement about how Eren's dad was transported from the real world when he came in contact with a japanese harem protagonist

Ok just the real world part I admit but heh this is close to it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As I'm not familiar with either Muvluv Alternative or Muvluv Classic, can someone fill me in on what the reference or whatever is?

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Ceci n'est pas une peinture!

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 8, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

As I'm not familiar with either Muvluv Alternative or Muvluv Classic, can someone fill me in on what the reference or whatever is?

Muvluv is a generic harem thing. It has a sequel/spinoff/whatever which is a super-grimdark mecha show where humanity is losing a war against unstoppable super-beasts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

Muvluv is a generic harem thing. It has a sequel/spinoff/whatever which is a super-grimdark mecha show where humanity is losing a war against unstoppable super-beasts.

I think I knew that much. Was there something specific in AoT recently that made people think of Muvluv, or was it just the general concept?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Schwarzwald posted:

I think I knew that much. Was there something specific in AoT recently that made people think of Muvluv, or was it just the general concept?

The author has said in a interview that he was manly inspired by muv luv(the main visual novels at least) in creating AoT.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No. The original ML contains two games, Extra, the harem thing, and secretly Unlimited, which introduces the mech stuff. Extra also contains numerous allusions to the events of Alternative, the third game, which would be released by itself, as making that was always the goal.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah apparently the entire Muvluv franchise was always intended to be one big switcheroo. Go fig.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Sins of the Father is not an unfamiliar belief nor is it any less deplorable and foolish, yet people still to this day blame children for the actions of the parents even if it makes no sense.
several major religions are like based entirely on this premise

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's funny, I've only watched like 1.5 episodes of Total Eclipse (garbage) and Schwarzesmarken (Kind of garbage, but in an enjoyable way, sorta like Black Lagoon with politics and alien bugs) and it's strange. I'm totally in love with the Muv Luv setting. The premise is neat, the timeline of the invasion is neat, the designs for everything but the characters themselves are neat...

...But I have no desire to play the games. VNs are bad, and the notion of having to play through a lovely gal game, and then a bad end to get to the real ending makes me question the sanity of people who enjoy the genre.

The ultimate Muv Luv anime would be a shockingly well animated 10 episodes long in the vein of those history documentary episodes of LOGH, except instead of doughy white dudes all the ladies talking about past events would be women with candy colored hair

Oh, uh, that chapter was okay. The twist was predictable. I like how freaked out Armin is at the notion of his life being saved instead of Erwin's.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

The contrast between some people living in hell while others are carefree generic anime students is the most important theme in the game. In ML it works because you're culture shocked constantly with how different things are. But it only works because it made you waste your time and get invested in the generic anime setting first, then shocks you with this surprisingly well thought-out brutal meatgrinder of a setting. If you just drop "It is peaceful elsewhere." as a reveal when the audience is already used to the meatgrinder then it... Doesn't really have much impact.

There's tons of similarities between the works, from people getting eaten by monsters to the nationalistic undertones, but this means we get to add another similarity to the mix.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Is this for me? Because I agree. My purposefully lovely passive aggressive post wasn't found funny but I guess I'm glad it called down a voice of reason or two.
Partially. Drive-by dismissals have been a thing around here, and it's something I've been trying to put the boots to. It's a style of posting that rarely begets much beyond a "Alright then, thanks for nothing" sentiment.

If you've got a problem with a thread or a post or a poster or whatever, by all means speak your mind; it's just going "Y'all suck, later losers," doesn't really accomplish anything beyond stirring up arbitrary animosity with no real means of satisfaction.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

They escape in the next 5 chapters and the rest of the manga follows the survey corps as they adjust to life in modern day Japan. Perhaps just in time for them to register at high school???

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

...But I have no desire to play the games. VNs are bad, and the notion of having to play through a lovely gal game, and then a bad end to get to the real ending makes me question the sanity of people who enjoy the genre.
What.

The two first games are on Steam now and VNs aren't bad.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

He totally does, but keeps getting beaten back down, and trauma and depression are helluva things.

This isn't really the thread for discussing it though.
Watching Sisyphus roll a boulder up hill is not generally going to be entertaining. Being told it is great art to see him struggle is not going to compel me to change that opinion.

The real weakness though is being a tv show and not a movie. Hence why the rebuild movies so are much more tolerable.

GimmickMan posted:

Lots of people with awful opinions in this thread.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Terrible Opinions posted:

The real weakness though is being a tv show and not a movie. Hence why the rebuild movies so are much more tolerable.

:eyepop:

Well, at least you ueed the right word.. ?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It turns out that all along, Grisha Yeager was actually the lead singer of Nickelback.

LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

It turns out that all along, Grisha Yeager was actually the lead singer of Nickelback.

LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH

Booooo

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I hope Eren keeps making dad jokes the rest of the series.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Goddammit

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Well, gently caress me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
gently caress You
:golfclap:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH

Professor Wayne posted:

Goddamn you both.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

Nice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I enjoyed this chapter and in all honesty I think the reveal was good. It may not seem like much to us as readers, but it's a groundshaking discovery to the characters in this story.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This chapter was pretty deflating to be honest. I imagine crazier revelations are coming next month, but ending on that page was just an anti-climax.

Professor Wayne posted:

This was the :master: that made it all worth it though

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I for one enjoyed the stupid fake out with Levi having none of that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

I for one enjoyed the stupid fake out with Levi having none of that poo poo.

The whole time I was thinking "wait why does the key matter so much, it's an old wood door". I legitimately laughed at that scene.