Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

KillHour posted:

You would actually want to feed two iron into one steel belt and have one iron left over to be roughly even.

Wait, what? Why? I thought one furnace (of any type) smelting iron feeding into a furnace smelting steel was balanced? 5ore@3.5s each -> 5 iron in 17.5s -> 1 steel@17.5s. The steel takes 5x as long to smelt, hence why it's evened out?

Edited to show game numbers

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, one iron ore furnace perfectly feeds a steel furnace.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Playstation 4 posted:

Ambaire, what the gently caress is it with you and throwing yourself into lovely vision mod after lovely grind mod. Gregtech already taught us these things are worthless and here you are again.

Uhhh, perhaps because you can set up assembly lines for stuff in Factorio and never touch them again beyond expanding as you need more production, whereas minecraft gregtech is complete bullshit grind.

Also in Factorio bobs mods, you start with a starting supply of all ores right near your starting location, whereas minecraft is 'lol gently caress you, dig thru ten billion cubic meters of rock and hope you hit that ore vein'.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Could have sworn... :psyduck:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KillHour posted:

You would actually want to feed two iron into one steel belt and have one iron left over to be roughly even.

I have two iron factories feeding into a single steel factory

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ambaire posted:

Uhhh, perhaps because you can set up assembly lines for stuff in Factorio and never touch them again beyond expanding as you need more production, whereas minecraft gregtech is complete bullshit grind.

Also in Factorio bobs mods, you start with a starting supply of all ores right near your starting location, whereas minecraft is 'lol gently caress you, dig thru ten billion cubic meters of rock and hope you hit that ore vein'.

I never played Minecraft which is probably good for me. The blocky horrible graphics made me hate it instantly and I never went near it. Irrational I know but I lived through the 80s and 90s TYVM and I want games that look decent now. Retro can gently caress off.

Have you tried Bobs in 0.14? The new version has a few recipes changed and he's added refinery upgrades. I usually play Bobs through to unlock everything and launch a rocket, then use it as a tinker about place to make reference blueprints and so on.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Mod idea: Filtering rail cars.

A set of 5 color-coded filters available on a rail car that could be used to set specific numbers of stacks to items in the cargo interface.

Do you mean middle mouse clicking a slot in the cart's interface?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dred_furst posted:

Is it just me or does this not work in multiplayer?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The weekly FFF is up: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-155

It's about the work on 0.14, the challenge and how they are finding it, circuit network improvements plus a look at the new fluid work.

quote:

We have had a lot of fun here at the office playing on the team challenge server. A lot of wasted hours and late nights in some cases. However we were impressed/embarrassed to find that there are a lot of players who simply demolished us in every round.

No surprises that AntiElite is one of the named people.

:swoon:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Wow, those pumps are gorgeous.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Everyone hotlinking that gif is murdering their poor webserver. I thought they learned not to host those giant things locally.

Edit: sexy as gently caress.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boogalo posted:

Everyone hotlinking that gif is murdering their poor webserver. I thought they learned not to host those giant things locally.

Edit: sexy as gently caress.

Here's a gifv on imgur instead

http://i.imgur.com/ry4kKet.gifv

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Dred_furst posted:

God-loving-damnit.

Thanks.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Someone on the forums pointed out the two parallel pipes on the right. Maybe they're integrating the fixed pipes from GotLag's Flow Control mod?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Solumin posted:

Someone on the forums pointed out the two parallel pipes on the right. Maybe they're integrating the fixed pipes from GotLag's Flow Control mod?

God, I hope so. That's such a basic feature.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
What's that, from the alpha version?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Ambaire posted:

What's that, from the alpha version?

It looks like it's from a really early build.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
There was an unofficial update to Dytech this week and that's one set I never played. The videos on youtube are all horribly out of date so I gave it a quick go and found it relatively interesting with a few flaws. The biggest of which is that it uses quantities of wood but has no greenhouse. I tried Bio Industries but that also adds a bunch of things I don't want. In the end I settled on Bobs greenhouse which works with no clashes.

I've also been contemplating paying for a hosted Factorio server for some time to make it easier to putter about with friends and setup a sort of mods showcase environment. I put together the Dytech stuff to start off with. If there's interest I'll post a PGS thread with some details.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I am struggling to find any use for Productivity modules besides non dry oil deposits and rare cases of being low on some type of material. Is there any other case it's useful for?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

I am struggling to find any use for Productivity modules besides non dry oil deposits and rare cases of being low on some type of material. Is there any other case it's useful for?

Literally every intermediate product, since it is free items at the cost of time (slightly free) and energy (which costs space, but map is infinite, so free).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'd rather just use speed modules tbh as there'll always be an infinite number of resources. Only pain is shipping them in, but that's not too difficult.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Loopoo posted:

I'd rather just use speed modules tbh as there'll always be an infinite number of resources. Only pain is shipping them in, but that's not too difficult.
The answer to this kinda depends where you like to spend your time in the game. Laying rail/conveyers and establishing new outposts is most fun? Speed modules. Optimizing factories in confined area? Productivity/efficiency.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fair point, I didn't think of that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I like sticking them in the rocket silo so that you can launch with ~70% "built" with a couple of productivity 3s.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Ratzap posted:

There was an unofficial update to Dytech this week and that's one set I never played. The videos on youtube are all horribly out of date so I gave it a quick go and found it relatively interesting with a few flaws. The biggest of which is that it uses quantities of wood but has no greenhouse. I tried Bio Industries but that also adds a bunch of things I don't want. In the end I settled on Bobs greenhouse which works with no clashes.

I've also been contemplating paying for a hosted Factorio server for some time to make it easier to putter about with friends and setup a sort of mods showcase environment. I put together the Dytech stuff to start off with. If there's interest I'll post a PGS thread with some details.

Well, since my server has been a failure, it would be nice to play a bit on someone's else's for a change.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
7:04 and 9:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQFS1OqPIaA&t=420s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Holy poo poo two pipes next to each other without merging. :aaaaa:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DmitriX posted:

Well, since my server has been a failure, it would be nice to play a bit on someone's else's for a change.

Failure is a bit harsh. You had some trouble with the 0.13 MP code from what I remember and that Ambaire guy staying up all day/night to finish 12 million rockets a second before anyone else finished logging in ;)

A 2GB server slot with 16 player max (one month) cost me less than a fish supper (£8.50) so I got one. Setting it up was remarkably easy, it took longer to generate a decent map (Trees everywhere? Next. Coal miles from water? Next.). I got it showing up in the public game browser then shut it down. I'll put a post up later with the details but I'll see if Dred/Drone want to have a go first (I can keep separate saves and swap games in and out). Should I post in your PGS thread or start a new one? It would make sense to keep all the Factorio things in one place but you might not want the effort of editing the OP to change as things start/stop.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Platystemon posted:

Holy poo poo two pipes next to each other without merging. :aaaaa:
Word on the street is that's just part of the test render and not a planned feature. Flow Control's gonna be with us a while longer.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Ratzap posted:

Failure is a bit harsh. You had some trouble with the 0.13 MP code from what I remember and that Ambaire guy staying up all day/night to finish 12 million rockets a second before anyone else finished logging in ;)

A 2GB server slot with 16 player max (one month) cost me less than a fish supper (£8.50) so I got one. Setting it up was remarkably easy, it took longer to generate a decent map (Trees everywhere? Next. Coal miles from water? Next.). I got it showing up in the public game browser then shut it down. I'll put a post up later with the details but I'll see if Dred/Drone want to have a go first (I can keep separate saves and swap games in and out). Should I post in your PGS thread or start a new one? It would make sense to keep all the Factorio things in one place but you might not want the effort of editing the OP to change as things start/stop.

For reference, you can use the map editor to edit the map to your liking before starting. While it DOES stop you from earning achievements, it allows you do add the stuff like pre-built buildings and tools to skip the early game, and tinker with water.deposits to your liking.
It is somewhat clumsy, but between that and constant re-generation, i prefer the editor.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DmitriX posted:

For reference, you can use the map editor to edit the map to your liking before starting. While it DOES stop you from earning achievements, it allows you do add the stuff like pre-built buildings and tools to skip the early game, and tinker with water.deposits to your liking.
It is somewhat clumsy, but between that and constant re-generation, i prefer the editor.

I like the regeneration thing myself. Wack on restart, tab, 2 seconds to scan it, repeat till happy then save it. I'm not into adding things to skip the start either, that's all part of the fun IMO.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Oh boy, remember we had a discussion a few pages back about automatically laying concrete? Well it so happens a mod for it exists but it hasn't been updated since 0.12 (someone necro'd the thread which is how I saw it).

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=18932

It even lays different colours around various machine types or railway. I wonder how much effort it would be to get it going in 0.14

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slickdrac posted:

Besides the rocket silo, its also fairly valuable for green circuits and blue circuits. RCUs, gears, and plastic are honorable mentions.

You need to do 3x prods with 1x speed to get it to pay off in a reasonable amount of time. Its not quite as simple as "I want to maximize efficiency and do less mining outpost building" because if you institute a blanket prod mod strategy you can end up with the tail wagging the dog and the entire reason you are building a mining outpost would be for materials for more prod mods.

E. I should mention 4x prods with speeds in beacons is viable as well, I am phone posting or I'd post the Factorio forum link with the accounting.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 11, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
wtf are these combinators

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

DmitriX posted:

I enjoyed the gently caress out of your server and don't really think any of the weirdness that we had to deal with was, like, beyond what I'd expect.

I've been working 60-hour weeks for the past, poo poo, longer than I want to think about, and I've found that two days off a week is not enough time to sit down and seriously get into Factorio. Or, rather, that's basically the perfect amount but I also have poo poo that I need to do.

I've definitely been missing it, though; the train-linked modules factory which was described upthread is something I've wanted to try out since I learned trains.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Hahaha I was always curious about what "other" stolen art there was. That's silly.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Bum the Sad posted:

wtf are these combinators

Oh hello Bum. Those are logical entities to help automate the factory, used in conjunction with circuit networks. The wiki documentation isn't great but it's about all there is. You can easily finish the game ignoring them completely but most people learn enough to use them for simple controls on things like the refinery setup. So for example you can rig one to crack light oil to LPG if the LPG levels are low and light oil is high.

Some people have gone nuts with them because the devs are trying to ensure that Factorio is Turing complete using combinators but practical applications are usually pretty simple affairs.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Ladies and gentlemen, we have done it. We've launched a fish into space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have done it. We've launched a fish into space.

That's old news, come back when you launch a space into a fish.