Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I.N.R.I posted:

max allowed is based on ur body weight. i cant remember the exact amount per kg but u wont reach it without pills or powder

thank u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

I.N.R.I posted:

max allowed is based on ur body weight. i cant remember the exact amount per kg but u wont reach it without pills or powder

butt chugging a two liter of coke before i fight is my secret weapon

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think Ian McCall said that he takes a sextuple shot of espresso before he works out? It might have been a different fighter, but it sounds like the kind of dumbassed thing he'd do, anyway.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Does chael's trick of gobbling illegal doses of caffine pills still work because it clears your system before you have to provide a sample. Or in our post usada world where they take both urine and blood, the caffine has to go somewhere and they'll absolutely strip someone of a belt for a stunt like that.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

CommonShore posted:

I think Ian McCall said that he takes a sextuple shot of espresso before he works out? It might have been a different fighter, but it sounds like the kind of dumbassed thing he'd do, anyway.

*expresso

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

Does chael's trick of gobbling illegal doses of caffine pills still work because it clears your system before you have to provide a sample. Or in our post usada world where they take both urine and blood, the caffine has to go somewhere and they'll absolutely strip someone of a belt for a stunt like that.

Well Chael failed a bunch of drug tests so why would you think it worked in the first place?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Street Horrrsing posted:

I'm pretty sure Chael's story about caffeine pills was that him or a buddy would take a 100mg pill before competition because the 100mg listed for a cup of coffee was only an approximation and they didn't want to get flagged for having some randomly strong coffee

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Yeah chael's whole point was that there was a limit on how much you could have in your system so he could only take so much, not that he was taking illegal amounts. I mean he might have been but that wasn't his point.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Wild Horses posted:

he's trying some roy jones jr punching without the roy jones jr movement

edit: actually feels just like a long, rear hand uppercut without any set up
see video for how its done properly, about 2:15 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0g8-KVp06s

Also this

Stephens torques his hip into the uppercut

Also helps that Stephens hits like a loving truck

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

Also this

But you'll also observe that the guys who hit like trucks also do poo poo like torque their hips into uppercuts.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Lid posted:

Also this

thats a scary rear end punch

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

Lid posted:

Also this

throwing a naked rear uppercut like that is usually a recipe to get countered by whatever but rafael dos anjos (the guy getting loving killed) was a bad striker in 2008

justin gaetje and chad mendes are good at it though, because they mask it with takedowns attempts and get the torque from dipping with the hips instead of dropping their rear hand hand to their waist

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

aldo ate a huge one from mendes, pretty crazy stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceg9qaBBBrg
nice to see conor just spectating too

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

aldo ate a huge one from mendes, pretty crazy stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceg9qaBBBrg
nice to see conor just spectating too

Speaking of uppercuts:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

From watching fights and reading a bit I've picked up what most punches are and what they look like but I'm still pretty fuzzy on what's meant by a cross or cross-counter(?).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

From watching fights and reading a bit I've picked up what most punches are and what they look like but I'm still pretty fuzzy on what's meant by a cross or cross-counter(?).

Cross is usually a synonym for rear hand straight.

Cross counter is a rear hand straight/overhand thrown overtop of someone's jab, right to the chin.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Speaking of uppercuts:

ow my spine

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Cross is usually a synonym for rear hand straight.

Cross counter is a rear hand straight/overhand thrown overtop of someone's jab, right to the chin.

Ah I see I see, so then is a regular straight just a hard jab?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EmmyOk posted:

Ah I see I see, so then is a regular straight just a hard jab?

Straight is used for punches off the rear hand. Jab is for the lead hand.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Straight is used for punches off the rear hand. Jab is for the lead hand.

Okay this is what I was thinking but after reading about the cross I wasn't sure anymore. So in p much any case can I assume cross and straight are synonymous?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Okay this is what I was thinking but after reading about the cross I wasn't sure anymore. So in p much any case can I assume cross and straight are synonymous?

They are used more or less interchangably. If you want to get pedantic, a cross is thrown with that internal shoulder rotation you can see in the gif, where you turn over your fist and your pinky is tilted slightly up at the end of the punch (this is key to the trajectory of the cross-counter over the jab), whereas a 'straight' you throw without shoulder rotation so your thumb is facing up at the end of the punch, rock-em sock-em robot style. A lot of people argue a right straight is just bad form most of the time and call it a cross always. One person who advocated throwing straights was Bas Rutten

To complicate things a bit people usually refer to a southpaw cross as a 'left straight' even when its just a mirrored cross, mostly because of the way its used differently from an orthodox cross from a right handed fighter. People will say someone like Conor mcgregor has a good left straight not a good cross

mewse
May 2, 2006

I wouldn't say straight and cross are synonymous because "straight punches" usually means jab+cross (left hand+right hand for orthodox)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

I wouldn't say straight and cross are synonymous because "straight punches" usually means jab+cross (left hand+right hand for orthodox)

Yeah, a jab is a straight punch, but I would never refer to a jab as just "a straight."

When describing action, I usually don't dwell too much on technique, because except for the top 20% of strikers, there's not enough discipline to keep everything really pretty while still fighting and being effective.
A lot of hooks you see in MMA are complete garbage whose only commonality is that they aren't straight punches. And some of that is excusable, between compromised stances and having to avoid kicks. If the punch lands how you want it to, that's most of the battle right there. You just call it a hook because the guy was not trying to throw it straight.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

mewse posted:

Youre right that those are described as straight punches, but if someone says they threw a 'straight', they almost always mean a rear hand punch because if they didnt theyd just say jab.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thanks guys that really cleared things up, I appreciate it!

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

A lot of hooks you see in MMA are complete garbage whose only commonality is that they aren't straight punches.

I like the weird looping hooks with the thumb pointed down, that a bunch of Russian guys throw. Those are fun.

mewse
May 2, 2006

EvanSchenck posted:

I like the weird looping hooks with the thumb pointed down, that a bunch of Russian guys throw. Those are fun.

Russian hooks are the bomb dot com

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

For anyone who isn't familiar, casting punches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JISgLclfX3c

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Would those kind of punches ever be used in a fight without grappling?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
They are used in boxing, yeah.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yes, it just happens to set up entries for takedowns.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
someone post the gif where Hollywood Hendo smashes a BRH into the face of Yuki Kondo or some other Japanese guy and uses it to set up a takedown

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Here's the one of him vs Shungo Oyama at Pride 25 where Dan sets up a takedown by using the BRH to turn his opponent into a human bobblehead doll:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

proof of concept posted:

Here's the one of him vs Shungo Oyama at Pride 25 where Dan sets up a takedown by using the BRH to turn his opponent into a human bobblehead doll:

This ladies and gentlemen is how you fight.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know where else to post this. I asked for permission to do it like a year ago but never ended up going through with it. Would anyone be interested in buying a framed and mounted pair of gloves signed by Royce Gracie and Kazushi Sakuraba? As far as I know it's the only pair that exists that was signed by both them at the same event. It might be the only pair ever, since I can't find other examples that exist. I'll take some pics to post if anyone's interested

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't know where else to post this. I asked for permission to do it like a year ago but never ended up going through with it. Would anyone be interested in buying a framed and mounted pair of gloves signed by Royce Gracie and Kazushi Sakuraba? As far as I know it's the only pair that exists that was signed by both them at the same event. It might be the only pair ever, since I can't find other examples that exist. I'll take some pics to post if anyone's interested

If you're selling anything here, post a thread in SA-Mart, and then link to that thread either in here or in a thread you make here for that purpose.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

If you're selling anything here, post a thread in SA-Mart, and then link to that thread either in here or in a thread you make here for that purpose.

Alright thanks

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Does anyone have a link to the Kaz "Ironhead" Fujita megapost? Reading the trashweight megapost brought it to mind.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ditch posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Kaz "Ironhead" Fujita megapost? Reading the trashweight megapost brought it to mind.
I'm not sure if it's the one you're thinking of, and their site redesigns appear to have completely hosed the formatting, but here's Seanbaby's wonderful ode: Worst Life Ever: The Story of Kazuyuki Fujita's Skull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is the pro-est of clicks even if you've read it before.