Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
(jump to votecount)

(source)

"Sail due southeast from Porta Reginae in a modern Arrentish clipper and in about two days you will come across Rene, the second largest of the leeward islands. It is home to the Most Serene Republic of Decapua, which steadfastly maintains its de jure independence from the Empire while still acceding to every one of her demands for trade and access. Rene's beautiful shores may seem inviting, but unless you're there for business don't stay for long - the natives are cold to foreigners, and getting a visitor's visa requires navigating the labyrinthine Decapuan bureaucracy. Still, if you are simply docked for a night to resupply as you travel further into the Metzzi Archipelago, in the port taverns you will easily find good wine and a comfortable bed."
- Excerpt from "From Arrentia to Zeroth: A Traveller's Guide to the Imperia."

===

Parliament has been at a standstill. The ruling Lion party has continued to abuse their power by conducting corruption inquiries into Fish party affairs, demanding a complete accounting of their members' political expenditures, business meetings, office supply orders, even their lunch receipts. Any error or missing record is considered proof of Fish embezzlement and the offending senators are stripped of their positions and titles. In response, the Fish party has obstructed all Parliament functions, essentially shutting down the government until the inquiries cease. Both sides refuse to relent, and the rest of Decapua has begun to suffer as a result.

With tensions as high as they were, it wasn't too surprising when a legislative week began and one of the senators was found murdered on the rostra. Now the corruption inquiries have at long last finally ended... only to be replaced by a Parliament-run murder trial.

Welcome to this game of mafia! This is a 15 player closed-setup game. However, it is a "traditional" game; there will be little that isn't featured on the SA Mafia Wiki or the Mafia flash thingy. However there might still be some surprises thrown your way! Who knows?

The standard mafia rules apply: don't do anything that could be construed as "not in the spirit of mafia." But I'm not a huge stickler for rules, so as long as you don't break the game it'll probably be fine. For instance, feel free to edit your posts to fix minor things like formatting, even if you get caught by the ninja; just be reasonable about it.

However, please remember that I reserve the right to punish someone as I see fit for whatever thing they do.

My unique quirk: please ##unvote before re##voting. I will not count revotes without unvotes unless you are a double-voter. It doesn't matter what votebot says; votebot is just for your convenience, only the votecounts I present are to be assumed accurate and reliable. If you think you see a mistake in a votecount I have posted, please contact me privately so I may check it.

Posting is very important to me, however I will not expect you to be abuzz with posting things left and right. If you haven't posted for a while, I'll probably prod you with a PM casually, maybe with a "hey go post GO POST NOWWWW". If you have a reason why you're not posting, feel free to tell me -- I like to think I'm fairly reasonable. If you aren't posting and it's going to be a chronic problem, I'll ask if you want a replacement; it's up to you, I just want everyone to have a good time, you included. However, if you're put on probation for more than a day, then I will replace you without warning. So don't get probated!

Deadlines are the most effective and easiest way to encourage participation. To that effect, every game day will have a deadline. If majority voting has not been reached by then, the day will end with no hanging. The Day 1 deadline will be at most 5 days long, and they'll only get shorter! Note that if I am ever for some reason unavailable for a deadline I've set, you should assume it to be floating.

To sign up, simply say whether you want to play or be a replacement, whether or not you have PMs, your AIM if you have it (but I know you don't anymore), and your email address. I'm "eccoraven" via g-mail. I only check my email every other day or so, so if you don't have PMs you should really consider getting platinum!

If you are living with, or otherwise have direct RL contact with, another player in the game, please tell me when signing up. It won't affect your chances for playing the game, I just like to know these things in advance.

Here we go!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c:

NOTE: just an estimate, not assumed to be accurate!

:h: N / A
:d: N / A

Player List:
1) Atomic Soda
2) Birdstrike
3) BottleKnight Kashuno
4) CCKeane
5) chaoslord
6) Chic Trombone 100YrsofAttitude
7) dongsbot 9000
8) Grandicap
9) KhyrosFinalCut
10) kordansk
11) Max
12) Pinterest Mom
13) Somberbrero
14) The Lord of Hats
15) Tremendous Taste

Night 0: TaoJones, Idro Sironetti, Lion Inquisitor (town-aligned sane cop), died.
Day 1: kordansk, Fabina Sparvera, Fish Chairwoman (town-aligned tracker), executed.
Night 1: Tremendous Taste, Giano Freto de Zugria, Lion Senator (town-aligned vanilla), died.
Day 2: Kashuno, Marco dal Falco Amerigio, Lion Senator (town-aligned vanilla), executed.
Night 2: 100YrsofAttitude, Pietra Benedictina Constantina de Legga, Pink Inquisitor (scum-aligned rolecop), died. CCKeane, Mario Crispo de la Costa, Lion Secretary (town-aligned boss), died.
Day 3: The Lord of Hats, Renzia Taretellia Coveltia de Diritta, Pink Deputy (scum-aligned mason recruiter), executed.
Night 3: Nobody died during the third night! How interesting!
Day 4: Pinterest Mom, Rafaella Brundi, Lion Senator (town-aligned vanilla), executed.
Night 4: Nobody died during the night yet again! So strange, or is it???
Day 5: Birdstrike, Teodoro Deccoro Matteolito de Risolto, Pink Secretary (scum-aligned boss), executed.
Night 5: Grandicap, Nero d'Omberra, Independent Contractor (scum-aligned killer), died.

GAME OVER
TOWN VICTORY

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 30, 2016

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

My role PM says I'm a Cop Doctor?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
The Fish scum and their corruptible practices have plagued this great republic for far too long. We will, after this quick criminal inquiry, find evidence of Fish misappropriation and send them all to the shackles they deserve.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

finally a game with manual vote counts

Max
Nov 30, 2002

*Stumbles in, drunk*

I'll play.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

:lsd:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

will you forget to post an entire game day again??

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think I led the game in posts

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Or at least my scumteam?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
eh ok I'll allow it!!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

ok

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
pick me pick me

i'll get you this time taste

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

ok

Atomic Soda posted:

pick me pick me

i'll get you this time taste

you're in. better red than dead that's what I always say.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in. Sign me up!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

You can check out anytime you like.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
but you can never leave

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hotel mafiafornia

I have ascribed political stances for each of the four main political parties in Decapua: the Lions, the Fishes, the Gulls, and the Pinks. Currently the Lion party has a coalition government with the Gulls forming a bare plurality of Parliament. Most of the rest are Fishes, save for a small but vocal contingent of Pinks, and a few random independents.

Below is me being a big dork. Enjoy!

dorkdom posted:

Parliament consists of two houses: the Senate and the Popular Delegates. Adult citizens vote for their Delegates, who in turn elect the Senators. Suffrage is gender-blind, and, as of a few years ago, poll taxes are eliminated. Senators have all the actual legislative power, as while the Delegates could reject what the Senate passes, due to party polarization they never do, and entirely rubber stamp everything given to them.

There are 70 senators total: 24 Lions, 10 Gulls, 31 Fishes, 4 Pinks, 1 independent (who votes consistently with the Fishes).

The Lions believe firmly in what they call "Decapua for Decapuans." They support: extensive social welfare programs; industry regulations for workers' welfare; high tariffs on imports (protectionist trade policies) and strict immigration controls; independence from Arrentia and the Arrentish-backed "Metzzi Community"; and a strong standing military that regularly acts throughout the region to advance Decapuan interests.
Lions are popular among the wealthy and the poor alike.

The Fishes, conversely, are the more "liberal" party. They wish to lower barriers for trade and immigration; to integrate Decapua with the Metzzi Community and to deepen its ties to Arrentia; to loosen regulations on industry and to provide only essential welfare programs (e.g. Fishes for Families); and to create a National Bank that can properly handle the Decapuan National Debt (Lions are skeptical of deficit spending).
Fishes are overwhelmingly middle class Decapuans and merchants.

The Gulls are a minor party. They are strictly pacifist, and distrust the aggressive Lion foreign policy. Still, they are Arrentiskeptics, and believe that integration with the Metzzi Community would be a precursor to an inevitable Arrentish invasion. They have formed a coalition government with the Lions because the Gulls support business regulations and the massive safety net, and are afraid Fishes would be overzealous in their cuts to those programs.
The Gulls either lean Fishy (if they have middle class backgrounds) or Leonine (if they are poor).

The Pinks are monarchists and isolationists. Their ultimate goal is to dismantle the Republic and replace it with an autocrat. Specifically, Guillermo Tartaga, whose distant ancestor was the last of the Livireen Kings that ruled Rene until its independence.
The Pinks are only supported by the exceptionally wealthy descendants of the old nobility.

The above information may or may not be helpful for the upcoming game. It will certainly not be required knowledge; at best it would only enhance the flavor.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 9, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in. Sign me up!

Yessssss.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kKRKHJ5k8o

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A veto on legislation is legislative power Ecco :mad:

the term you're looking for is legislative initiative

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I will be roleplaying as Thomas Reed

http://www.futilitycloset.com/2015/10/06/the-battle-of-the-reed-rules/

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Pinterest Mom posted:

A veto on legislation is legislative power Ecco :mad:

the term you're looking for is legislative initiative

I couldn't include it but the Delegates essentially never veto any legislation the Senators pass due to party polarization and functionally just rubber stamp all bills.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

I couldn't include it but the Delegates essentially never veto any legislation the Senators pass due to party polarization and functionally just rubber stamp all bills.

A President who never vetoes a bill still has legislative power because her veto, even unexercised, has indirect legislative power that functionally guides the legislature.

Like, if there's any chance that the Senate isn't passing a bill because they know the Delegates would reject it, that's legislative power.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

This discussion is the best argument for despotism I've ever heard.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

A President who never vetoes a bill still has legislative power because her veto, even unexercised, has indirect legislative power that functionally guides the legislature.

Like, if there's any chance that the Senate isn't passing a bill because they know the Delegates would reject it, that's legislative power.

yes but functionally they never do! if they did it would be a huge scandal!! gosh golly people.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

then they're a rubber stamp body~

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Pinterest Mom posted:

then they're a rubber stamp body~

is what I said omg the level of nits y'all are picking.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm a citizen of a commonwealth realm and we have a very rich taxonomy of non-exercised legislative and government powers and convention for the exercising thereof and i'm particular about it

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I have edited my dorkdom post to address the concerns you all have that I already addressed adequately but apparently offended your parliamentary sensibilities. I only seek to describe what actually happens in this fictional island, not what the Constitution (of which there is no single document but rather a collection of papers and traditions that taken as a whole guide jurisprudence) says.

the general idea though is that you are all senators and you're all very important.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The President recognizes the venerable T. Raven of *mumbles*. You have the floor for 5 Minutes.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

I have edited my dorkdom post to address the concerns you all have that I already addressed adequately but apparently offended your parliamentary sensibilities. I only seek to describe what actually happens in this fictional island, not what the Constitution (of which there is no single document but rather a collection of papers and traditions that taken as a whole guide jurisprudence) says.

the general idea though is that you are all senators and you're all very important.

bless

What if instead of a despot, you had an appointed figurehead who is legally imbued with certain powers (executive, veto, dissolution of parliament, etc) which are normally exercised only on the advice of an elected head of government but who reserves the right to use any of the powers in exceptional cases (that will in practice never come up).

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGd96SH57SA

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

bless

What if instead of a despot, you had an appointed figurehead who is legally imbued with certain powers (executive, veto, dissolution of parliament, etc) which are normally exercised only on the advice of an elected head of government but who reserves the right to use any of the powers in exceptional cases (that will in practice never come up).

The best form of government is anarchocapitalism.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Sorry, sorry, I mean arachnidcapitalism, where spiders control everything from giant businesses.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

do you want to workshop that more

arachnocapitalism seems low-hanging

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Once I merge with Helios, this will no longer be a concern.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
dark age ending best ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYAqE72Whf0

I'm going to keep bumping this thread with these videos until we are full.

• Locked thread