Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

CeeJee posted:

Nice shoutout to Burn Notice with the Pringles antenna. It's crazy to think USA channel went from fun, light shows no one took seriously to this unbelievably well made and tense show.

Oh, that's no shoutout. The Cantenna is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mr.48 posted:

Was I the only one who was shocked he didn't try to kill Elliot before leaving?

Also, I'm convinced at this point that there is a third personality (besides his dad) that controls Elliot sometimes, and is responsible for the Phase 2 plan, whatever that is. There real question is who it is, since I'm sure that the show creators would have teased us with his appearance at some point earlier in the show without us knowing it.

It's Angela and the dramatic reveal is a flash back to Elliot standing alone on the subway train hugging himself over his shoulders and making out with the air.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I definitely got a warm and fuzzy :unsmith: moment when Elliot and Angela kissed. Nothing gets me rooting for a pair as much as them being driven to the edge of despair and tragedy!

Mrs. Wellick seemingly being able to see Mr. Robot was a real :catstare: moment. Since when did she know Elliot was a hacker? What's going on here

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Bullfrog posted:

The sound and visuals of this show give me flashbacks to Deus Ex. And to panic attacks. But mostly to Deus Ex.

I've been trying to pitch this show to one of my best friends as "Deus Ex-like cyberpunk and conspiracy fiction." She won't budge. :smith:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mr.48 posted:

Also, I'm convinced at this point that there is a third personality (besides his dad) that controls Elliot sometimes, and is responsible for the Phase 2 plan, whatever that is. There real question is who it is, since I'm sure that the show creators would have teased us with his appearance at some point earlier in the show without us knowing it.
There are 3 personalities controlling Elliot. The first is Mr. Robot, who is the id. The second is the audience, who plays the super-ego. The third is Elliot, who acts as ego.

Wikipedia posted:

According to this model of the psyche, the id is the set of uncoordinated instinctual trends; the super-ego plays the critical and moralizing role; and the ego is the organized, realistic part that mediates between the desires of the id and the super-ego.
Mr. Robot as the id is the crazy, uncoordinated instinct forcing Elliot into doing the smartest things he can do to get revenge on E-Corp using the skills he's attained. The audience as the super-ego is critical of the main protagonist and what he does (plus, critical of the show,) trying to moralize him despite the fact he is constantly breaking the law. Elliot as the ego is meditating (when he talks to us or to Mr. Robot) between what his id wants and what the super-ego may want, acting as necessary.

Wobblecardboard
Feb 9, 2014

DaveKap posted:

There are 3 personalities controlling Elliot. The first is Mr. Robot, who is the id. The second is the audience, who plays the super-ego. The third is Elliot, who acts as ego.

Mr. Robot as the id is the crazy, uncoordinated instinct forcing Elliot into doing the smartest things he can do to get revenge on E-Corp using the skills he's attained. The audience as the super-ego is critical of the main protagonist and what he does (plus, critical of the show,) trying to moralize him despite the fact he is constantly breaking the law. Elliot as the ego is meditating (when he talks to us or to Mr. Robot) between what his id wants and what the super-ego may want, acting as necessary.

:stare:

Good lord please stop.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
This show is what Watch_Dogs wanted to be, so it was funny to me to see the goon playing Watch_Dogs in the store. Also ties in with how he was amazed at Elliot later - here's a dude doing what he was playing in a game for real.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
When Price said that thing about leaving a legacy that was like when God created men in his own image, I wondered if his secret project is about some kind of AI

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

When Price said that thing about leaving a legacy that was like when God created men in his own image, I wondered if his secret project is about some kind of AI

Oh my god that would be sick. Season 1 is Fight Club please let season 3 be Neuromancer.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Accretionist posted:

Oh, that's no shoutout. The Cantenna is real.

Even if it's real I'm willing to place this in the the shoutout/allusion category since this show really makes an effort to refer to other media.

DaveKap posted:

I'm not sure if it all checks out but I kinda like this theory. Also "nested personalities" as I said before lol.

I did find it interesting in this episode that Angela mentions that Elliot was already talking to someone only he could see when he was 8 and ran away. Does this predate when his dad passed away or what?

Edit: From looking at Wikis it looks like Edward died in 1995 and Elliot was born in 1986, so I think Elliot already had a weird friend personality before his dad even died.

I'm not calling anything now, but I find it interesting that Coney Island seems so important to the Aldersons. They used to visit there as a family, Darlene got kidnapped there, and they base fsociety out of the arcade there. It makes me think of the speech Leslie gave about the arcade being the center of evil in the universe. I thought of this, too, when Elliot and his pops were talking about how lovely the revolution turned out to be. It really didn't seem to make anyone's life better and Ecorp just made their own currency to stay on top of poo poo anyways.

Other notable things from this episode: we learned a lot about what motivates some of the characters that we are familiar with. I really enjoyed Price's speech about power; he seemed to articulate it really well and the writing dodged him just being cartoonishly evil. We also learn that Darlene is motivated by feeling special; first she denies it when Cisco says it but later confesses that being kidnapped (and the way the lady treated her) made her feel special.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 9, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Sean posted:

Even if it's real I'm willing to place this in the the shoutout/allusion category since this show really makes an effort to refer to other media.

It's really not a reference to Burn Notice. It's a hacker thing that's been around since WiFi began. Just because another show used it doesn't mean the two are related.

I remember reading about the Pringles can WiFi antenna in 2600 magazine in the very early 2000s.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

GutBomb posted:

It's really not a reference to Burn Notice. It's a hacker thing that's been around since WiFi began. Just because another show used it doesn't mean the two are related.

I remember reading about the Pringles can WiFi antenna in 2600 magazine in the very early 2000s.

Yeah, I don't really know either way, but you can't deny that the show has a very dense amount of references, sooo...

Also, I've never seen Burn Notice. This video actually explains my understanding of Burn Notice: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/burn-notice-game-show/n12712

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Burn Notice was a cool show most of the time and even though it wasn't the greatest thing on television and had flaws it certainly did not stop me from enjoying it overall throughout its entire run.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The cantenna on Burn Notice was the first thing that I saw and said "they hosed up." They just used a bare USB cord as the antenna and plugged into a USB port. Mr. Robot did it right with the USB wifi dongle.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They are really hammering home the religious themes this season. Elliot confides in us, asks us for help. Prays to us. We are god. The only ones who can create change in the real world.

Meanwhile, Price is the devil. This imagery has been going on for a bit, but it became very overt in this last episode when he came out and said his goal was outdo god. Ecoin becoming increasingly necessary to buy and sell things is reminiscent of the mark of the beast.

Esmail has created a cautionary show about the end of the world, the fascist, capitalist, corporate apocalypse, in which the resistance fighter, a hosed up broken person, begs us to see the truth. To look at what's wrong with the world and help him.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I really like that the map of Europe when they talk about giving Congo to China is literally labeled "Map of Europe before 1914". In german. That's totally not ominous.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Can somebody please explain the cantennae to me?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dead Snoopy posted:

Can somebody please explain the cantennae to me?

sure

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVn5lEOe2Tc&t=116s

Also:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Was I the only one who heard the music in the opening scene and immediately flashed to Zap Dramatic's Ambition series?

...I'll show myself out.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:perfect:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
While I dig the OST, I do draw a direct line to it and The Girl w the Dragon Tattoo. There are lots of elements that remind me of Reznor's compositions.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Wobblecardboard posted:

:stare:

Good lord please stop.
Pfft. Be grateful I'm not explaining my (other) friend's theory that there are 7 main characters to the story and they each represent a cardinal sin. He still hasn't figured out who sloth or gluttony are, though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Every season there's a new persona reveal

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Between the sedentary nature of television watching and US obesity rates, I'm surprised he hasn't concluded it's us. After all, we had a seat at the table. We, the audience, are inside the program.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Am I the only one who thought the source of the phone calls was the Wellick house?

I've heard too many ghost stories :negative:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Raskolnikov posted:

What the absolute gently caress. Was that the season finale? Do I seriously have to wait another year to watch the world burn down around humanity?
I swear every TV show thread has someone who's apparently never heard of Wikipedia asking if the season is over two episodes befor it actually is. :confused:

Dead Snoopy posted:

I'm not convinced we're getting back to the shootout story-line next week either. Very tellingly, that lone cop car blew the crime scene and kept going across town
Wasn't it chasing the other dark army assassin?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Tiggum posted:

I swear every TV show thread has someone who's apparently never heard of Wikipedia asking if the season is over two episodes befor it actually is. :confused:

To be fair, a lot series seasons seem to be 10 episodes.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This was going to be until USA ordered two extra episodes, turning the premiere and finale into two-parters.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

CloFan posted:

That episode was fantastic! Great pacing and cinematography, and music selection.

Cisco's head is gone, and you can totally see a ketchup bottle exploding on the table in that zoomed gif. Darlene is probably alive, potentially with a couple bullet wounds though.

How did the DA assassins know where Cisco was? And how dumb is Dom's supervisor, god drat. Unless he meant to do that :tinfoil:

It kinda reminds me of a few themes in The Wire.
In an attempt to appear competent, higher ups demand immediate results and make some hamfisted moves that undermine their subordinates.

Howling Man posted:

Dom being so effective at her job makes me angry when I watch this show. I'm too trained for bad dumb cops on TV!

"Hi! FBI here. Can I come in? I brought gyros!"

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 10, 2016

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Wasn't it chasing the other dark army assassin?

Maybe. It was a 1st impression & I can kinda see it from the re-watch.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I've been binging the show and I'm on Logic Bomb, the episode where Elliot hacks the FBI.

And I'm confused as hell about some plot mechanics. Darlene threatens Angela by mentioning the CD Angela planted with Allsafe - I totally never connected that the CD was part of Elliot's hack.

Was the CD malware just the way the Dark Army did their part of the hack?

And when/how did Elliot know about the CD and erase some of the evidence about it?

Am I supposed to have connected these dots?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Am I the only one who thought the source of the phone calls was the Wellick house?

I've heard too many ghost stories :negative:

I'd love if the reveal was literally "the call is coming from inside the house".

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I for one was not rooting for an Angela/Elliott romance. She is part of the dark side now!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I always kind of figured the two of them would've had something much earlier if Elliot wasn't so hosed up and awkward.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it was basically telegraphed from The first episode that Elliot wanted to be with her but she had this annoying boyfriend that he hated.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 11, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I wonder if Esmail was watching Fight Club and thought I wonder what would've happened if Marla had a boyfriend?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Someone on reddit that actually has Dissociative Identity Disorder made a post where they did a impromptu AMA about their condition. Dissociative Identity Disorder is what Elliot appears to have in the show, and this guy explains how the show has absolutely nailed how it feels to have the disorder.

"Great question. Yes, I do see them vividly but not usually with my eyes unless things are really, really off. It's more about layers-who's stepping forwards and who's stepping back. For example, when you see Mr. Robot step in front of Elliot to start talking to Darlene (something I would refer to as a change in who's "driving"), that's what I experience as happening inside my own body. I feel my posture shift, tone of voice and word choice change, everything changes as I fade into the background and someone else takes over. The physical movement of Mr. Robot in relation to Elliot in the show is a lot like what it would be if I were to script out my internal switching between parts and represent it via real life actors moving around. That's why I consider the show to be a fantastic artistic, if not literal, representation of the experience. (Sometimes art explains things better anyway)."

Anyways this was a great read and I feel like I have an even better understanding of Elliot's character after reading it

Reddit person with DID post

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is DID a real thing now? I thought it was on the Otherkin level of special snowflake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I definitely got a warm and fuzzy :unsmith: moment when Elliot and Angela kissed.

It was the kiss of death. Those silhouettes we saw were Dark Army goons he told in advance of his meeting with her who came to finish her off. I'm getting more and more convinced with each episode that Elliot/Mr. Robot is a Machiavellian villain.

CloFan posted:

How did the DA assassins know where Cisco was? And how dumb is Dom's supervisor, god drat. Unless he meant to do that :tinfoil:

Cell phone tracking? Idk some hacker poo poo probably... I was expecting them to be eating a Chinese restaurant, that would've been a nice explanation too.

• Locked thread