Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Do I hold out and hope for a Western release or just get the Asian English release and then buy a Western release if it happens?

I'm going to have a PS4 in November so it will be time to start importing Gundam Breaker 3 and SRWOG: MD... and SD Gundam G Generation Genesis?

What an exciting time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Hell yeah looking forward to G Gen!

Senerio posted:

Tips for MD

Learn how to use the Maximum Break mechanic. You basically force a squad to support attack you but with no penalty to their attack and with a bonus bit of damage before you start kicking butt.

By default Kai, Katina, Irm, Viletta, Aya and Kyosuke have the skill to start it (another one with it shows up near the end of the game).

You need two sets of twins next to each other and everybody needs a weapon that has the F quality. Most units have one by default, but you might have to equip a couple with something.

Everybody you wish to do the Maximum Break with needs 140 will or higher.

When you attack with one of the above mentioned characters and these criteria are met it'll pop up with the option to Maximum Break and then you just choose your attacks and go from there and reduce your will by 10 as a price for having a good time.

Otherwise my only big tip is to not twin people that do combo attacks together. Eg: don't put Kyosuke and Excellen together, not only are they not very good together in the same squad, it means you can't do their combo attack as often. This goes for every combo attack in the game, Kyosuke/Excellen, Sanger/Ratsel, Arado/Seolla, SRX/R Gun, Formation R and Latooni/Shine in the Fairlions.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

Hell yeah looking forward to G Gen!

Learn how to use the Maximum Break mechanic. You basically force a squad to support attack you but with no penalty to their attack and with a bonus bit of damage before you start kicking butt.

By default Kai, Katina, Irm, Viletta, Aya and Kyosuke have the skill to start it (another one with it shows up near the end of the game).

You need two sets of twins next to each other and everybody needs a weapon that has the F quality. Most units have one by default, but you might have to equip a couple with something.

Everybody you wish to do the Maximum Break with needs 140 will or higher.

When you attack with one of the above mentioned characters and these criteria are met it'll pop up with the option to Maximum Break and then you just choose your attacks and go from there and reduce your will by 10 as a price for having a good time.

Otherwise my only big tip is to not twin people that do combo attacks together. Eg: don't put Kyosuke and Excellen together, not only are they not very good together in the same squad, it means you can't do their combo attack as often. This goes for every combo attack in the game, Kyosuke/Excellen, Sanger/Ratsel, Arado/Seolla, SRX/R Gun, Formation R and Latooni/Shine in the Fairlions.

I think everyone in the MB has to be at the same movement mode too, that is they all have to be flying or landed.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
MD is one of the games where you can hold an Awakened turn by not using it, right? Because that got nerfed real hard with Aoi between Z2 and Z3 and it's going to be even worse for Raul if it isn't.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm the worst. :negative:

you are playing this game as god intended

Senerio posted:

Is Latooni still the best? What's the best mech for her, if so?

as mentioned, latooni is not quite the best since calvina now exists but either keep her in the fairlion or do what i did and chuck her in the two-pilot grungust as a sub-pilot for kyousuke. worked insanely well and was a fun departure from the norm!

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Is the best way to through these games just tapping through the story sections and basically ignoring them entirely, or should I have a story translation at the ready the entire time?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Is the Angelg worth upgrading? It's pretty and I don't think I got far enough in OG2 to use it.

If so what should I upgrade?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Senerio posted:

Is the Angelg worth upgrading? It's pretty and I don't think I got far enough in OG2 to use it

Which OG2?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm playing Moon dwellers. i meant I hadn't seen it in og2 so I didn't know if it was good.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 11, 2016

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Charlie Bobson posted:

Is the best way to through these games just tapping through the story sections and basically ignoring them entirely, or should I have a story translation at the ready the entire time?

Do you want to experience the story? Maybe play one of the fully translated ones first, see if you like SRW stories, then decide if you want to deal with having a translation on hand.

Assuming you have a translation, of course.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Senerio posted:

I'm playing Moon dwellers. i meant I hadn't seen it in og2 so I didn't know if it was good.

The Angelg is usually pretty good. Lamia and Haken are the only ones who can use it, I believe, and Haken is much better in the Vysaga from what I've heard. But if you like Lamia, she'd do fine in any number of other machines too.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Lamia is weird because she's actually an evasive pilot with Focus but both her default machines are very heavy and survive on Double Image and Prevail (she also has Guard, I guess). I put her in the Wildraubtier for a bit and she seems to have gone all the way to untouchable.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Charlie Bobson posted:

The important question here is, how much do you like fanfiction? We won't judge.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Also I'm pretty disappointed with Hellruga Izbeluga because there's a lot a few things going on with his underlings but all the man himself has done is be like "I have to commit war crimes so Goraikunl-sempai will notice me."

I guess you have to do whatever it takes when you're the Fuhrer of a vessel called the Rubble Pile.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Hokuto posted:

The important question here is, how much do you like fanfiction? We won't judge.

I like dumb anime crossover fanfiction very much

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

Lamia is weird because she's actually an evasive pilot with Focus but both her default machines are very heavy and survive on Double Image and Prevail (she also has Guard, I guess). I put her in the Wildraubtier for a bit and she seems to have gone all the way to untouchable.

Oh that would be a good mech for her. I'll have to think about where I put her, I need to play more, I've only gotten past stage 11.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Charlie Bobson posted:

I like dumb anime crossover fanfiction very much

Well then you're in luck! Don't skip the story.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Seriously Banpresto give us back the Wildschwein. Put it in instead of the MP Hucky III they dig out of storage every game. Or the Schwert, does anyone actually use the Schwert?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

Seriously Banpresto give us back the Wildschwein. Put it in instead of the MP Hucky III they dig out of storage every game. Or the Schwert, does anyone actually use the Schwert?

I can think of uses for the Schwert: it flies well out of the box, has good movement and is S-sized. That's decent enough that you CAN put a support in there just to tag along.

I see no such caveats for the MP Hucky. The thing sucked in OG2, it sucks even more now.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

Yeah you can put Repair/Resupply on the Schwert and send it out solo if you really want to. But I would love to have the Wildschwein back, give it an upgrade like they did the Wildraubtier.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah you can put Repair/Resupply on the Schwert and send it out solo if you really want to. But I would love to have the Wildschwein back, give it an upgrade like they did the Wildraubtier.

The Wildraubtier Schnabel alone is a pretty good argument, but they also still have the R-Blade Custom, which... I mean, it's not the Huckebein III, but honestly. Plus they've now reissued the Grungust Type 2 even though I'm pretty sure its codex just admits that its not as good as the original Grungust, which is itself now the Grungust Custom. So with two spare R-prototypes, two to three bonus Grungusts, and four Halloween Gespensts all still kicking around, why don't we have a Wildschwein [German word]?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

The Wildraubtier Schnabel alone is a pretty good argument, but they also still have the R-Blade Custom, which... I mean, it's not the Huckebein III, but honestly. Plus they've now reissued the Grungust Type 2 even though I'm pretty sure its codex just admits that its not as good as the original Grungust, which is itself now the Grungust Custom. So with two spare R-prototypes, two to three bonus Grungusts, and four Halloween Gespensts all still kicking around, why don't we have a Wildschwein [German word]?

I suspect the reason is that Wild(x) units are now associated with The School and there's no more School pilots left over to give one to as a default unit so there's no real interest in making a new one.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Gunstrikers are cool and strong units but their primary function is spamming ALLs and those run on ammo instead of Energy, which is what they regen. Banpresto! :argh:

Deathpenis is an amazing support pilot and Raji/Mizuho have good spirits too. I'm glad the R cast got to be cool again.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I suspect the reason is that Wild(x) units are now associated with The School and there's no more School pilots left over to give one to as a default unit so there's no real interest in making a new one.

I bet in the next game we get Cobray showing up with a Wildschwein [German Word] just because it was Ingram's unit in OG1 at the start.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In non-mechanical news, is the Federation and/or United Strategic Council being total dickbags feeling sudden to anyone else? Because MD is all about secrets but also we've gone from being allowed to beat up aliens and terrorists the old-fashioned way to being ordered to gas a colony of noncombatants (and by the way, I'm surprised neither Ratsel nor Rai had anything particular to say about that). I know we kind of shot the President of Earth but jeez. What happened to those two nice old guys from Gaia Savers that I didn't pay any attention to?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Earlier people were talking about not liking SRW stories that feel like a military campaign, but I do miss the way you could look at the PTX series and see technology being developed. The Wildschwein is clearly the midway point between Gespenst and Huckebein. Then the Twin Birds got built as a midway between Alt Eisen/Weissritter and Huckebein Mk2. The in-fiction explanation for why there's no new Wildschwein is that it already did what it needed to do.

That said, The Inspectors anime replaced the MP Hucky with an MP Wildschwein; so if they wanted to, the game devs could do that. I suspect nobody feels the need, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Earlier people were talking about not liking SRW stories that feel like a military campaign, but I do miss the way you could look at the PTX series and see technology being developed. The Wildschwein is clearly the midway point between Gespenst and Huckebein. Then the Twin Birds got built as a midway between Alt Eisen/Weissritter and Huckebein Mk2. The in-fiction explanation for why there's no new Wildschwein is that it already did what it needed to do.

That said, The Inspectors anime replaced the MP Hucky with an MP Wildschwein; so if they wanted to, the game devs could do that. I suspect nobody feels the need, though.
That's because the MP Schwein is basically the MP Huck with a few proportion adjustments and the Circle Zanber weapon bolted on. Outside of the Circle Zanber, it could easily pass off as an MP Huckebein to an untrained eye. IMO, the MP Wildschwein is one of the more subtle methods The Inspector used to skirt whatever fuss Sunrise/Bandai raised over the Huckebein line.

But at this point, I think the matter is more that the OG universe hasn't really done much to upgrade the mass-produced side of robot development. Sure, Isurugi rolled out some new Lion models last game, but that was part of the Gaia Sabers' rise to power and what is seen in Moon Dwellers was probably leftover stock from Euzeth's rollout plan. Everywhere else seems to have gone all-in on the one-of-a-kind units or the limited production units, and the need for MP units for the playable roster has kind of stagnated. Hell, Mao Industries has slowly been shoved to the side so other things can take the spotlight. Even if part of the GC plot was to try and market a MP Soulsaber idea to the top brass, the end result seen in the next game is most likely going to be Soulsaber stays and their attempts to get a MP version fall apart for whatever reason.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I can't even imagine what the MP Soul Saber will be like if the Grey Hucks is the results of them mass-producing the regular ones. Probably something that even Dai-Guard would wedgie and dunk into a toilet.

I think Lamia works well in a lot of units mostly due to very solid cheap Spirit Commands (Especially Guard) - she's just usually going to grab the Angelg most of the time because IIRC it's locked to Shadow Mirror characters and we assume Axel is going to want to stay in Soulgain and maybe Haken will grab the Vysaga if you're really OCD about fielding all the non-mass produced units.

Which is funny because Angelg is terrible in its source material.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

But at this point, I think the matter is more that the OG universe hasn't really done much to upgrade the mass-produced side of robot development. Sure, Isurugi rolled out some new Lion models last game, but that was part of the Gaia Sabers' rise to power and what is seen in Moon Dwellers was probably leftover stock from Euzeth's rollout plan. Everywhere else seems to have gone all-in on the one-of-a-kind units or the limited production units, and the need for MP units for the playable roster has kind of stagnated. Hell, Mao Industries has slowly been shoved to the side so other things can take the spotlight. Even if part of the GC plot was to try and market a MP Soulsaber idea to the top brass, the end result seen in the next game is most likely going to be Soulsaber stays and their attempts to get a MP version fall apart for whatever reason.

The interesting thing about the GS is that, discounting Euzeth's secret motives, they're an attempt to "mass produce" the effectiveness of the Steel Dragons with more hybrid army strike-forces. That's a cool concept, and a nice nod to the heroes who have stopped so many alien invasions at this point. But I doubt if the next game will even bother keeping us up-to-date on the Earth government forces, seeing as we'll be heading to space for Alpha 3 and W. Maybe something will come of Team FDX's involvement, but as I recall they use those ridiculous super-custom Gespensts.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I just got to the route merge and oh god I just got like 20 new units. Beyond Touya and Calvina, are there any basically required characters?
What are the best mechs for Kushua and Katina (because they were up there on my favorites list in OG)?
I'm in Beginner mode, so I'm getting that one Grungust secret on my first run, who's really good for that one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

I just got to the route merge and oh god I just got like 20 new units. Beyond Touya and Calvina, are there any basically required characters?
What are the best mechs for Kushua and Katina (because they were up there on my favorites list in OG)?
I'm in Beginner mode, so I'm getting that one Grungust secret on my first run, who's really good for that one?

You'll have to use the Soulsaber and the Compatible Kaiser for stages.

Kusuha will get the Ryukooh before too long and that is best for her.

The absolute best mecha for Katina is the Grungust Type-3. Stick Russell in the co-pilot seat so he can spam guard to make up for her weaknesses. However basically the answer is "give her something red" so if not the Type-3 then the Giganduro or the red Grungust.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Is there any real benefit to the Soulsaber FF? I like the GG better because it has range and a map attack in case of emergencies. Should I upgrade the FF?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

Is there any real benefit to the Soulsaber FF? I like the GG better because it has range and a map attack in case of emergencies. Should I upgrade the FF?

GG and FF share upgrades.

The big advantage to FF is that it has more post-movement attack capability and is better at piercing barriers. (The latter is significant considering how many Fury enemies are in the game.)

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Fuuuuuck expedited shipping is $20 on play-asia. Last time I imported Gundam Breaker 3 on regular $5 shipping and it took like 2 weeks or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Revitalized posted:

Fuuuuuck expedited shipping is $20 on play-asia. Last time I imported Gundam Breaker 3 on regular $5 shipping and it took like 2 weeks or something.

Just buy a PSN card instead. No shipping cost and you can download it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Senerio posted:

That's pretty funny because it shows up in chapter 1 of OG2. :v:

Or did you mean 2nd OGs?

Senerio posted:

FF gets its finisher earlier and is better at piercing barriers.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

In non-mechanical news, is the Federation and/or United Strategic Council being total dickbags feeling sudden to anyone else? Because MD is all about secrets but also we've gone from being allowed to beat up aliens and terrorists the old-fashioned way to being ordered to gas a colony of noncombatants (and by the way, I'm surprised neither Ratsel nor Rai had anything particular to say about that). I know we kind of shot the President of Earth but jeez. What happened to those two nice old guys from Gaia Savers that I didn't pay any attention to?

I... What the hell? When did this happen? I knew the brass were being dicks in MD but this is a bit much. They all were very manipulative but not comically sociopathic in 2nd OG so them suddenly turning into the Titans is a disappointment. IIRC only one of the three federation bigwigs was actually somewhat nice (must be part of hanging out with Gilliam) and he had asked Lefina out on a date by the endgame. Not sure what came out of that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

There have been like 10 alien invasions in the past five years. I could see Earth getting a little more zealous in how they deal with things.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BlitzBlast posted:

That's pretty funny because it shows up in chapter 1 of OG2. :v:

Oh cool. I legitimately don't remember it so I probably never played OG2. I was trying to figure out where I stopped. I know I had the cartridge because I bought it and OG together.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm not trying to be annoying with all these questions, I just know how these games tend to be with regards to secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

GimmickMan posted:

I... What the hell? When did this happen? I knew the brass were being dicks in MD but this is a bit much. They all were very manipulative but not comically sociopathic in 2nd OG so them suddenly turning into the Titans is a disappointment. IIRC only one of the three federation bigwigs was actually somewhat nice (must be part of hanging out with Gilliam) and he had asked Lefina out on a date by the endgame. Not sure what came out of that.

I mean, there's that forgettable side plot about a hostile takeover of the Federation government by hardline warhawks, but that got undone in OGs2 when the Hagane accidentally ran over the ringleader of the conspiracy. Between that and the defeat of the Gaia Sabers, there shouldn't be anyone left to be the Titans.

• Locked thread