Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Who told them about the diluted vampire juices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming those guys are all in the employ of Palmer.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Eichhorst is being exceptionally smug. Even for him

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Cant believe Sully from Drakes Uncharted got a movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how much of Nora dying was the actress wanting to leave the show versus actually planned, because the character survives through to the end of the books.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The only cure is a head-ectomy :gibs:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Back talking Mommy Master.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Eichhorst is being exceptionally smug. Even for him

The actor for Eichorst is one of the few good things about this hot mess of a show.

The airbnb parody owned

https://vimeo.com/139995718

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just catching up now, were the SWAT vampires in the books as well and did they get linked out just as quickly? Was Blade in the books too?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just catching up now, were the SWAT vampires in the books as well and did they get linked out just as quickly? Was Blade in the books too?

They were not. Though Blade was and he did a lot of the things the SWAT vampires did in the first season

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole premise is confusing for why trade a priceless book for a lovely dumb kid.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In shocking twist, the real enemy turns out to be Zach. While the Master spreads a disease that turns people into mindless vampire slaves, Zach spreads a disease that turns everybody who's ever been in contact with him into a raging idiot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

etalian posted:

The whole premise is confusing for why trade a priceless book for a lovely dumb kid.

Yeah, why would a father do something to save his child? That's just lovely writing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, why would a father do something to save his child? That's just lovely writing.

He's trusting a serial killer known for never keeping his word to return his kid alive in exchange for stealing a file that contains detailed information on where the serial killer lives and where he keeps his victims from the police, also the serial killer has already killed his wife and has promised to kill everybody he knows regardless of whether he releases the son for the moment.

People treat the "parent does a stupid thing for a child" as a free pass for introducing unpredictable (i.e. non-sensical) twists into stories, and it is in fact lovely writing.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

He's trusting a serial killer known for never keeping his word to return his kid alive in exchange for stealing a file that contains detailed information on where the serial killer lives and where he keeps his victims from the police, also the serial killer has already killed his wife and has promised to kill everybody he knows regardless of whether he releases the son for the moment.

People treat the "parent does a stupid thing for a child" as a free pass for introducing unpredictable (i.e. non-sensical) twists into stories, and it is in fact lovely writing.

Eph doesn't see any real value in the book, aside from the fact the master wants it, because he thinks there is a scientific solution to defeating the master and the vampires so its not really asking for much from his point of view. His scientific knowledge created a somewhat effective weapon against them, and as he pointed out the lumen's info is kind of crap because the sun didn't kill the master and they dont have time to wait for the next eclipse to try again the way it prescribes. 'The file' is just a bunch of superstitious garbage, and even in the books despite the supernatural origins of the vampires the answer was ultimately a scientific one that didnt exist when the lumen was written.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Xerox the book.

Problem solved.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gonz posted:

Xerox the book.

Problem solved.

What if theres some Davinci Code bs like hidden inks or Killjoys starcharts hidden in the pages?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Since the show seems to be deviating from the books is GdT still involved? This episode seems to have taken a hardcore turn to the right, which is normal for American Sci-Fi/Horror but is very unusual for GdT.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Del Toro doesn't give a gently caress about the show

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
:(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

None of the big names attached to cable shows as EPs are actually involved with making the shows.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

steinrokkan posted:

He's trusting a serial killer

Trust is irrelevant when someone has leverage, you are probably damned if you do and damned if you don't so you do and hope for the best. It's a recurring thing in tv, movies, and books and often involves a double cross by one or both parties. There was even a tv series called Leverage.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just finished reading the comics. The pacing was just downright awful.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blackchamber posted:

Eph doesn't see any real value in the book, aside from the fact the master wants it, because he thinks there is a scientific solution to defeating the master and the vampires so its not really asking for much from his point of view. His scientific knowledge created a somewhat effective weapon against them, and as he pointed out the lumen's info is kind of crap because the sun didn't kill the master and they dont have time to wait for the next eclipse to try again the way it prescribes. 'The file' is just a bunch of superstitious garbage, and even in the books despite the supernatural origins of the vampires the answer was ultimately a scientific one that didnt exist when the lumen was written.

That's why Eph keeps grilling Setrakian about the book, trying to convince himself that the book is bullshit.

One thing I liked about the last couple of episodes is that everyone, the military guys, scientists, etc are calling them "Strigoi." Kinda vindicates Setrakian. :3:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

TIME TO KILL SOME STRIGOI!!!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Who's your favorite exterminator :smug:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Fet is so loving awesome.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sucks the Spanish vampire hunter became a reverse heroin addict this season.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
If that inquiry is meant to be a joke I would be happy to ride in silence :geno:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Quinlan and Eph road trip convos are great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So Quin almost killed the master once to make him live in a cave intill he got the giant body upgrade?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Mexican seat-belt, :lol::lol::lol:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Glad to see Tobias is still getting work.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Whats up with this "cant cross water" crap? Cant the vampires like drive boats?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh hey it's that navy seal guy

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That ambush they set up is going well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

:lol: at "...and not your Nazi Butler!"

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Quinlan's gonna feel like such a dick when he realizes he's not dead and that his dramatic fall was for nothing.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Whats up with this "cant cross water" crap? Cant the vampires like drive boats?

No. They can be taken across bodies of water but cannot cross unassisted. In the book the origin explains why kind of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What's the deal with water?

If you cross water, you lose varna status. That's attractive to (rejecting) lower caste members but deeply unattractive to high caste members. "Good" people of any caste accept their lot since that is part of what being a "good person" entails. Every "old" city I've ever lived in has a "good" and "bad" side of the river.

The modern vampire myth is come from a long synthesis of transgressive myths. The 18th Century European "vampires" that inspired Dracula had the utterly terrifying ability of being genuine male friends of women (homos).

Strix and Strigoi. It's a fun synthesis. In terms of widespread cultural appeal (if we want to generalize the vampire phenomenon) one of the surest ways to become a vampire is to commit suicide. A strix is a monster born of tragedy that siphons all energy from family members and needs to be ritually cleansed. If you are a survivor of another's suicide, you understand what a monster it is and how that does siphon your soul. You need a ritual cleanse. Strigoi are more atavistic monsters that, in a Campbellian sense, prey on humans in the same way we prey on other species. The Ultra-Human, if you will.

I wish GdT had been a little more multicultural instead of pan-European. I wish he had made Vampires move purely by jumping. Because (also unable to cross water) Chinese jumping vampires are goofy as gently caress.

• Locked thread