Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Luchadork posted:

So where are we these days in terms of what Google+ has it's fingers in? I know Google has been breaking a lot of stuff out of it but if I kill my Google+ profile, will I be losing any data? Their support page on it is kind of vague.

AFAIK it's the only way to have passive location tracking for your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Can anyone think of the most material designy non-Google apps? I'm trying to see best practice. Weather Timeline is on my list.

I'm also looking for stuff that uses a tabbar or other visible icons instead of just the hamburger menu.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Can anyone think of the most material designy non-Google apps? I'm trying to see best practice. Weather Timeline is on my list.

I'm also looking for stuff that uses a tabbar or other visible icons instead of just the hamburger menu.

Perhaps this is worth a look? Also has an RSS feed if you want updates.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

AnimalChin posted:

That's exactly what I'm after, thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

AnimalChin posted:

Not too many of those are Material Design though. Most are as iOS as you can get, in fact.

Just looking through my installed apps shows some good examples, like Join, Dropbox, and gReader, but I wish I could point you to a list of exactly what you're asking for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AccuWeather app is material design as gently caress.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yes, on closer inspection a lot of them aren't uniquely androidy. It's a good way to look at screens of lots of apps though. I'm sort of looking for things where they've got crazy with the paper metaphors and animations etc. Accuweather looks like it's done a lot of that with raised areas and drop shadows.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Check out https://www.materialup.com

A lot of it is impractical or impossible to make after effects experiments, but it's about as material as it gets.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Materialistic - HN Reader is a pretty good app and the source is available @ https://github.com/hidroh/materialistic

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are the Facebook and Messenger apps still total garbage on Android? It's getting annoying to read messages by forcing the desktop view on my phone.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Are the Facebook and Messenger apps still total garbage on Android? It's getting annoying to read messages by forcing the desktop view on my phone.

Messenger has always been about the only good app Facebook has ever launched on Android so if you didn't like it then you won't like it now.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've never used it as I just assumed it was garbage like the Facebook app. I'll give it a try, thanks!

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Is there a good app for food journaling/diet tracking?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
My Fitness Pal

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Any weather apps with an automatically updating weather map I can set to full screen on a tablet? Need something to be used as a kiosk, basically.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Earlier in the thread, goons recommended Metal. It's a wrapper for the FB website. I've been using it for... umm... I don't remember how many months now, but it works pretty well. It has a dark theme, and it lets you read your messages instead of having FB tell you to install Messenger.

The only real complaints I have are:

1) If a post has a certain amount of text in it, there's a Read More... at the bottom. Tapping the post takes you directly to it, and also shows you all comments. It doesn't always remember your place when you go back to the timeline, and will stick you back at the top.

2) If you have a message, and you dismiss the notification, but don't read the message, it keeps coming back.

I get the feeling that both of those are FB issues, though, and not app issues.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

Their messenger app has been amazing for as long as I can remember, you should definitely use it.

The mobile app ran terribly on my old s4 but I switched to an s7 edge last week and it works great on there so I guess it's hit or miss. I would try it again and if it doesnt work well just use the web app in chrome and pin a shortcut to it on your phone.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Kheldarn posted:

Earlier in the thread, goons recommended Metal. It's a wrapper for the FB website. I've been using it for... umm... I don't remember how many months now, but it works pretty well. It has a dark theme, and it lets you read your messages instead of having FB tell you to install Messenger.

The only real complaints I have are:

1) If a post has a certain amount of text in it, there's a Read More... at the bottom. Tapping the post takes you directly to it, and also shows you all comments. It doesn't always remember your place when you go back to the timeline, and will stick you back at the top.

2) If you have a message, and you dismiss the notification, but don't read the message, it keeps coming back.

I get the feeling that both of those are FB issues, though, and not app issues.

Can confirm that #1 is a Facebook issue. I have the same problem if I don't open Read Mores in a new tab, desktop or mobile browser.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Facebook Messenger ignore priority settings? I was chatting with a friend last night, and even after my down time kicked in, I kept getting audible notifications when I'd receive a message. I'm on 5.1 fwiw.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
FB Messenger is pretty ace. The FB app itself is still garbage. I just pin a chrome bookmark of it where i need, the mobile site works fine.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
A relative asked how secure banking via android is. They'll be loosing access to their pc for a while and have to use a tablet for banking instead. I'd guess that so long as the banking app/connection are secure and they aren't visiting malware laden sites too often it ought to be as secure as anything else. Anyone know if that's right? Are there any particular steps they can take to make sure their tab's clean and that transactions are secure?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

A relative asked how secure banking via android is. They'll be loosing access to their pc for a while and have to use a tablet for banking instead. I'd guess that so long as the banking app/connection are secure and they aren't visiting malware laden sites too often it ought to be as secure as anything else. Anyone know if that's right? Are there any particular steps they can take to make sure their tab's clean and that transactions are secure?

All the transaction security comes from the server side really. Nothing really changes except the physical from the users point of view. Depending on the bank, they may have a mobile version but the connections will probably all work the same, just different UI. I'm pretty sure android/iOS are more secure of a platform than Windows/OSx. Malware isn't much of a thing on mobile if you stay with the official stores and avoid installing shady poo poo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

deong posted:

I'm pretty sure android/iOS are more secure of a platform than Windows/OSx. Malware isn't much of a thing on mobile if you stay with the official stores and avoid installing shady poo poo.

This. There's less viruses on mobile than your PC that is probably already infected with something and you don't know it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ignoranus posted:

Is there a good app for food journaling/diet tracking?

I use lifesum which also has an Android wear part as well.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Uthor posted:

... your PC that is probably already infected with something and you don't know it.

:raise:

I realize this isn't shsc or a thread about windows, but, uh, that's an interesting statement.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was being facetious. But, there's a ton of vulnerabilities on PC that don't exist on mobile. Or are at least less exploited on mobile.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nitrousoxide posted:

You know, I've been using MyFitnessPal for years, but you got me to finally try lifesum and...it's way better so far. We'll see how the food database compares over time but so far I'm impressed.

The app is so much nicer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Anyone using Google Fit? I find that it's super unreliable since the semi-recent makeover. It rarely automatically detects biking accurately. When it does, it'll say that I biked like 0.25 miles when I actually did 8, then give me an average speed of 0.25 mph. (Thankfully, Strava works fine and it overrides the Google Fit data). The timeline almost never matches the data on the home screen and takes forever (or hours) to update. It'll even give me vastly different information if I check it minutes apart and things like Active Time and Distance don't match each other.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uthor posted:

Anyone using Google Fit? I find that it's super unreliable since the semi-recent makeover. It rarely automatically detects biking accurately. When it does, it'll say that I biked like 0.25 miles when I actually did 8, then give me an average speed of 0.25 mph. (Thankfully, Strava works fine and it overrides the Google Fit data). The timeline almost never matches the data on the home screen and takes forever (or hours) to update. It'll even give me vastly different information if I check it minutes apart and things like Active Time and Distance don't match each other.

Do you have the phone in your pants pocket or on a more stationary mount like a holder on the bike or even a shirt/jacket pocket? For whatever reason it only wants to detect biking at all when it's in a pants pocket and getting jostled around for me.

I end up using the old Google My Tracks app for actually tracking the bike riding since it isn't so picky about things, even though I then go back and add the information to Fit for the times it refuses to detect, even when i have it in my pocket.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Google Fit detects me riding the bus to work every morning as walking, so I'm not super impressed with it. But my walking score is through the roof!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I keep my phone in my pants.

It'll sometimes detect I'm biking, but then the distances get hosed up, then reports that I walked like 1/8 mile at 14 mph with a 30 minute idle time. It's just awful.

It used to be good enough to at least get approximate information down. I didn't worry too much if I forgot to run Strava and it's more accurate GPS data. Now I need to manually edit everything if I forget.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 14, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ever since it came out originally I've never seen fit reliably detect activity type.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I like Fit because it regularly thinks I'm driving when I'm biking.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Saturday morning, Fit detected the start of my bike ride but like 10 minutes in I stopped at a stop sign or something and it stopped tracking me. Sunday morning, it tracked the entire 13 miles. It's really unreliable but it's nice when it works because I don't have to remember to start it. Is there a better app for this type of this thing that won't be a big battery drain?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Saturday morning, Fit detected the start of my bike ride but like 10 minutes in I stopped at a stop sign or something and it stopped tracking me. Sunday morning, it tracked the entire 13 miles. It's really unreliable but it's nice when it works because I don't have to remember to start it. Is there a better app for this type of this thing that won't be a big battery drain?

Strava, or better yet a dedicated bike computer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

For automatic start/stop, I don't know. I use Strava for biking (also does running and swimming), which requires me to start tracking manually. My rides aren't long enough to know if battery drain is an issue. :smith: It does have auto start/stop once it's running...

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I used to use MFP and would just do all my input on the computer since their mobile app was so clunky, Lifesum seems to be a lot better in that regard. Prettier too, strongly considering getting premium.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Uthor posted:

For automatic start/stop, I don't know. I use Strava for biking (also does running and swimming), which requires me to start tracking manually. My rides aren't long enough to know if battery drain is an issue. :smith: It does have auto start/stop once it's running...

If you use Strava for background mapping with screen off, it's not too bad. My N5x gets maybe two and a half hours of SoT, but with Strava on/screen of I've logged six hour rides. Anything further and you need a dedicated GPS computer like a Garmin or Leyzne. Those will track for 12-15 hours. They will upload to Strava anyways. If you are biking, use Strava. How you get the data there varies, but if you don't Strava why bother?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Google fit consistently correctly detects my bike commuting. I have a nexus 6 that I keep in my jersey pocket while riding, as well as an Android wear watch. I don't use Strava, but i do use Garmin connect. I don't think Garmin connect feeds into fit, though.
I'm honestly surprised that you guys are having problems with it.
I was in the ride report beta, but it never successfully detected a bike ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Google fit works fine for walking/cycling on my S6. It's got the best metrics I've found so far. Does Strava do the same step counting, auto detection?