Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr Dog posted:

the more ppl customize they linux the less interesting poo poo they do with it

bash is fine you loving ricers

just lmao if the default shell is not sh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

carry on then posted:

just lmao if the default shell is not sh

isn't sh actually bash on linux?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

prefect posted:

not always, it depends on the linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

it's often a symlink, but if you invoke bash as sh, you get an sh-emulation mode.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Someone itf had a really nice zsh skin plz advise

http://git.grml.org/?p=grml-etc-core.git;a=blob_plain;f=etc/zsh/zshrc;hb=HEAD

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

prefect posted:

In Ubuntu it's Dash, which is a lovely version of Bash.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

dash is the debian fork of the almquist shell, a bsd-flavored variant of sh

(nobody actually uses ubuntu though so this matters approximately never)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dash is the debian fork of the almquist shell, a bsd-flavored variant of sh

Quite interesting! It's still terrible because it's almost like bash but not quite so bash scripts might not work properly.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Wait what? In my experience Ubuntu is far and away the most popular linux

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

all zeros are the same though

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Quite interesting! It's still terrible because it's almost like bash but not quite so bash scripts might not work properly.

you should never, ever, write a bash script for any purpose, so this is irrelevant

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

all zeros are the same though

-- someone who isn't familiar with ieee 754

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

Mr Dog posted:

the more ppl customize they linux the less interesting poo poo they do with it

bash is fine you loving ricers

could not agree more

a riced up zsh is the shell equivalent of an anime wallpaper

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Soricidus posted:

you should never, ever, write a bash script for any purpose, so this is irrelevant

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

welp i travelled back in time

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

dash is only used for init scripts and stuff, not for users shells thankfully

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Tankakern posted:

could not agree more

a riced up zsh is the shell equivalent of an anime wallpaper

who cares

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

dash is only used for init scripts and stuff, not for users shells thankfully

In 12.04 it's the default shell for users.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

In 12.04 it's the default shell for users.

:rip:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VikingofRock posted:

get a real job, i guess?

centos/rhel dominates the united states and much of the rest of the world

sles owns europe

ubuntu is an also-ran that attracts a few weird startups and that's it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sles owns europe
what? where exactly?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

what? where exactly?

germany and france

e.g. it is the default choice on for groupe bull victims^wcustomers

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Suse has a mainstay in Germany since the 90s. First Distro where you could buy boxed copies in bookshops. With a nice 300 page manual.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

germany and france

e.g. it is the default choice on for groupe bull victims^wcustomers

ok so germany and france, biggest markets sure but it doesn't "own europe"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

ok so germany and france, biggest markets sure but it doesn't "own europe"

well i assume it probably owns the rest of europe too, but i'm not a european. i have never had the privilege of being exposed to linux market conditions in, say, slovenia

i can tell you the only part of yurop i have seen rhel or ubuntu in use is the uk but that's hardly surprising, is it?

(does the uk even count as part of yurop anymore?)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

mind sharing where you pull these stats from? unless it's your rear end

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mike12345 posted:

mind sharing where you pull these stats from? unless it's your rear end

it's my rear end

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
here's an easier way to think about it though.

global revenues:
  • redhat: 1.53 billion
  • suse: 234 million
  • canonical: 67 million

ubuntu is very popular with kids who post on forums but that's about it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SLES definitely has a decent market share in Europe but it really depends on the country which is more popular. In northwest Europe, sans Germany, it's all RHEL and some Ubuntu on desktops or w/e.

Europe is not a country.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ok so it's all rhel then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ironically i currently work in a group that, for mysterious reasons, has set a firm requirement for ubuntu, such that everyone throughout the company has bend over backwards to support our weird and terrible poo poo

every time i mention we're on ubuntu at a conference most people look at me like i grew a third arm

some of them just look at me like i farted. (i'm not sure why my unfortunate technology choices should inspire such disgust tho)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
startups use ubuntu because theres no reason to pay for linux when you don't have a product

they should be using centos though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

startups use ubuntu because theres no reason to pay for linux when you don't have a product

they should be using centos though

a year or two ago i wrote a very long post to explain exactly why ubuntu is bad and i am not gonna re-phrase that to be more specific to this thread

instead, here's my quote bomb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a year or two ago i wrote a very long post to explain exactly why ubuntu is bad and i am not gonna re-phrase that to be more specific to this thread

instead, here's my quote bomb

i reference this post every time the topic distros comes up in my professional life, fyi

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ironically i currently work in a group that, for mysterious reasons, has set a firm requirement for ubuntu, such that everyone throughout the company has bend over backwards to support our weird and terrible poo poo

every time i mention we're on ubuntu at a conference most people look at me like i grew a third arm

some of them just look at me like i farted. (i'm not sure why my unfortunate technology choices should inspire such disgust tho)

I have a friend that has become a multi-millionaire making a time sheet web site company that now has over 50 employees.

He thinks RHEL is the devil and uses Ubuntu. It's the most baffling thing and I point out his hypocrisy every time I he brings it up. His eyes just glaze over and he changes the subject.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RHEL is really good and if you ara a poor CentOS is really good.

Everyrhing else is garbage tier

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

RHEL is really good and if you ara a poor CentOS is really good.

Everyrhing else is garbage tier

RHEL in the streets.
Fedora in the sheets.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

RHEL in the streets.
Fedora in the sheets.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i reference this post every time the topic distros comes up in my professional life, fyi

flattering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Same. Ubuntu is dumpster fire garbage and I am ashamed I used it for a few years.