Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

OSU_Matthew posted:

Buckeyes?

What trail were you on?

Yep, after looking online I think they might be horse chestnuts.

This was on a section of the Cumberland Trail in Frozen Head SP in Tennessee.

Flambeau fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

If you're car camping for a music festival and have never camped before, I'd definitely go for a car camping tent over a backpacking tent. In my opinion, it's good to have a car camping tent even if you backpack, as we'd never use our backpacking tent car camping. I'll also say I'd rather have a 6 person tent for festivals and the like over a 4, for 2 people. That extra space goes a long way and can mean the difference between being able to stand up in it or not. And when your poo poo gets rained out and you have to spend hours in your tent playing cards or whatever, you're going to wish you had some more space.

Got it! I'm on a camp plot with a few other people and was wondering how huge 6 person and 4 person tents are? Like would I be that rear end in a top hat who took up all the space or are 4 - 6 people tents pretty much the norm among car campers?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Pretty much the norm.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Verman posted:

Backpacking no, camping maybe, but don't be that dickhead who keeps playing wonderwall all night. If I'm camping with alone with my dog or my guitar playing buddies then of course. But if it's just friends who want to drink then no.

Playing a guitar is like masterbating. Never do it in front of someone unless you are sure they want you too.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

bongwizzard posted:

Playing a guitar is like masterbating. Never do it in front of someone unless you are sure they want you too.

I'm stealing the poo poo out of this.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Always start with stairway to heaven.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Verman posted:

If you're planning to ever do any hiking, go for a backpacking tent. They are lighter and smaller in order to be carried for long distances. You sacrifice space for lightweight but you can car call with it as well. Look for a sub 5 lb backpacking tent tent that fits 2 people. Prices vary from $100 to 300 on average. Rei makes a few 2 person tents in the 150-200 range. They pretty much only fit two people side by side. 2+ and 3 person tents are a nice balance of space and weight if you know you'll be with another person often.

It might be worth checking out the Naturhike Cloud Up 2, which is basically a knockoff of a Big Agnes tent. Came across it a while back and the reviews are fairly positive, especially considering you get a 4 lbs or so tent for a hundred bucks that fits two. Of course you have to be aware you're buying a chinese copy of an American designed and chinese made tent, but thought it was worth a mention.

I'd definitely go 2 person tent if you are sleeping alone and 3 person if you're two. It's nice to have at least a little extra space, especially if the weather's poo poo and you end up spending a bit of awake time in there.

Also, consider getting an affordable light weight tarp. I paid like 30 bucks for one that weighs 700 grams (including several stakes and lines) and is 3x3 meters. Really nice to have if you want to hang out with a few friends and cook or something when the weather's bad.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm stealing the poo poo out of this.

It's like the one clever thing I have come up with, please spread it around.

For a period all my friends were theatre kids, firm ground rules were a must.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I hiked into a campsite once and found a dude with a flute.

I kept on going.

No way I'm hanging out with random dude and his flute.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I was fly fishing on a backpacking trip, and an old hippie showed up on the bank way too close to me, stripped down, bathed where I was casting, then climbed up on a nearby rock and played clarinet. I hate solo clarinet.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

At least it wasn't a flute.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

While on four pass loop some loony from Ohio made it to the first pass with a ukulele. The way he threw his pack on the ground I'm guessing he burned it or quit at that pass. I was debating how to disappear him if I heard that poo poo while camped.

I don't hike to listen to someone else's idea of music, leave that stuff at home.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

At least it wasn't a flute.

Used to play clarinet in grade school, can confirm flute players are worse than we are.

Ropes4u posted:

I don't hike to listen to someone else's idea of music, leave that stuff at home.

I wanted to get a harmonica to kill time around a fire until I actually heard someone go to town on one. If I need to play something that badly I'll just settle for myself.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

Used to play clarinet in grade school, can confirm flute players are worse than we are.

I wanted to get a harmonica to kill time around a fire until I actually heard someone go to town on one. If I need to play something that badly I'll just settle for myself.

If you aren't near other people go for it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Once I drove a 4x4 trail to the end and bushwhacked up to a random lake that I saw on a map. I arrived to see an old guy getting into waders who nearly poo poo his pants when I gave him a "hello" from a distance.

He reholstered his .380 and started conversing about trout fishing which segwayed into hunting which segwayed into non hunting liberal hippy pussies which segwayed into illegal immigrants and barrack houssain Obama and let's make America great again. He was the kind of guy who wouldn't let you have a word and wouldn't stop talking. I was fine at first but then he got political.

It got deliverance-y real quick. I was thankful that day that I'm a white male who grew up in a semi rural community and understand the nuances of right wing America so I'm able to easily blend and assimilate by staying quiet and nodding. I kept reminding myself that he had a gun on his hip and about a half dozen empty net cans at his feet.

I forgot where I was going with this but yeah I wish he was only playing guitar.

Verman fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 12, 2016

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Verman posted:

Once I drove a 4x4 trail to the end and bushwhacked up to a random lake that I saw on a map. I arrived to see an old guy getting into waders who nearly poo poo his pants when I gave him a "hello" from a distance.

He reholstered his .380 and started conversing about trout fishing which segwayed into hunting which segwayed into non hunting liberal hippy pussies which segwayed into illegal immigrants and barrack houssain Obama and let's make America great again. He was the kind of guy who wouldn't let you have a word and wouldn't stop talking. I was fine at first but then he got political.

It got deliverance-y real quick. I was thankful that day that I'm a white male who grew up in a semi rural community and understand the nuances of right wing America so I'm able to easily blend and assimilate by staying quiet and nodding. I kept reminding myself that he had a gun on his hip and about a half dozen empty net cans at his feet.

I forgot where I was going with this but yeah I wish he was only playing guitar.

Better a 380 that a double barrel

https://youtu.be/WqNMjZpSbnU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Verman posted:

I live in Tennessee, and this has pretty much happen to me at a gas station.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I should have mentioned this was in Washington state. For as liberal as Seattle is, it gets surprisingly bumfucky near/in/east of the mountains. I suppose most states are like that though, liberal towards the city center and more conservative towards the rural areas.

nate fisher posted:

I live in Tennessee, and this has pretty much happen to me at a gas station.

My mom grew up in Niota TN if I remember correctly and she has some crazy stories about the mountain folk back in the 60s. One of the stories I recall the most was that she was 17 or 18 and out at some shithole roadside bar with a friend, some rednecky guy comes in and basically says "you're coming with me little lady", forcefully pulls her out of the bar and tries to get her into his truck, the bartender comes out with a shotgun, the rednecky guy lets her go and drives off. She showed me the spot where the bar used to be once when we were visiting family. Crazy poo poo. She also pointed out where a few known clan members used to live when she lived there.

Verman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 12, 2016

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
Wondering if the thread can help me. I've been on a few day walks and hikes recently and have feeling a lot of neck strain from my day sack.

Nothing I seem to do to adjust my rucksack seems to help. Or if it stops my neck strain the straps are so loose that my back or shoulders hurt instead.

Is there a specific way to adjust it or pack it to avoid neck pain? Or are there exercises I can do to help my neck?

For context I'm a 24 year old guy. And while at school I got into the habit of carrying a very heavy rucksack while there - which may not have helped.

This is the rucksack I have

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mollsmolyneux posted:

Wondering if the thread can help me. I've been on a few day walks and hikes recently and have feeling a lot of neck strain from my day sack.

Nothing I seem to do to adjust my rucksack seems to help. Or if it stops my neck strain the straps are so loose that my back or shoulders hurt instead.

Is there a specific way to adjust it or pack it to avoid neck pain? Or are there exercises I can do to help my neck?

For context I'm a 24 year old guy. And while at school I got into the habit of carrying a very heavy rucksack while there - which may not have helped.

This is the rucksack I have

Were you using the chest and waist straps?

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Were you using the chest and waist straps?

I was it made a bit of a difference but I still felt some strain

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
How much weight are you trying to carry? There's a point where you're really just not going to be comfortable with it no matter how much you adjust because it's not designed to carry a lot of weight

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord
I think I was carrying

Levitate posted:

How much weight are you trying to carry? There's a point where you're really just not going to be comfortable with it no matter how much you adjust because it's not designed to carry a lot of weight

I think I was carrying 2 pairs of water proof trousers, a waterproof jacket and a camera.

But it might have been more. I'll be careful with the weight and see if the pain stops.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

eh that doesn't sound like much

any chance you're just tensing up in a funny way trying to carry the pack

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord
Not

Levitate posted:

eh that doesn't sound like much

any chance you're just tensing up in a funny way trying to carry the pack

Not that I've noticed, but I could be. Is it best to "force" myself into a good posture?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I get neck pain if I suck the pack down too tight, which forces me in to a hunchback posture.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Mollsmolyneux posted:

Not

Not that I've noticed, but I could be. Is it best to "force" myself into a good posture?

Could you maybe get a picture front and side of you wearing the pack? It's kind of hard to tell if you're doing something wrong from just text.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Do you have a long torso? Maybe the pack is too short.

Or if the yoke where the straps meet at the top of your shoulders is too narrow, that could be it, too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Business of Ferrets posted:

Do you have a long torso? Maybe the pack is too short.

Or if the yoke where the straps meet at the top of your shoulders is too narrow, that could be it, too.

Just looking at the picture, this is my thought too. The top where the straps meet look too narrow for someone tall or with broad shoulders, and there is no way to adjust them on that bag.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Also, are you carrying most of the weight on your hips? I've found that if I don't have the hip belt cinched tightly enough, it puts too much strain on my shoulders.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also, are you carrying most of the weight on your hips? I've found that if I don't have the hip belt cinched tightly enough, it puts too much strain on my shoulders.

This x1000

The hip belt and chest straps being fit right fixed my similar issues.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Also having a framed pack helps transfer the load off your shoulder and onto your hip belt/hips, even if it's just a plastic sheet like in my osprey daypack.

Ideally you shouldn't be carrying hardly any weight on your shoulders, those straps should be pressing against your chest and not down on your shoulders compacting your spine, that's very bad.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Also having a framed pack helps transfer the load off your shoulder and onto your hip belt/hips, even if it's just a plastic sheet like in my osprey daypack.

Ideally you shouldn't be carrying hardly any weight on your shoulders, those straps should be pressing against your chest and not down on your shoulders compacting your spine, that's very bad.

Yeah, most decent day packs will have at least some boning or something to put the weight near your butt. I say, if your problems continue - get a good day pack (check for deals on steep and cheap or backcountry to get something cheap but good if you want), and see how it does.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ehhhh, it's not unusual to have day packs or real lightweight packs that let weight rest on your shoulders or have a real simple hip belt. The key is not carrying much weight at all in them. That's usually just fine.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

This last weekend my wife and I went to Pinnacles National Park and I was pleasantly surprised at the range of scenery there was to see. The trail started off following a dry stream bed, but the closer we got to the cave on the trail things started to get progressively more green. Once you exit the cave things went straight to rock and cliffs spotted with trees here and there, such as the ones you can see in the last picture dotting the switchbacks that take you to the trail that goes above the cave.

The park is at the same elevation as where I live, and while the elevation gains was modest, I only had to stop and catch my breath twice, once when we were literally climbing rocks on the way out of the caves, and once at the top of the switchbacks. It appears that the majority of my difficulty catching my breath is related to the elevation. I knew that higher elevations made it more difficult to breath but I didn't have anything to compare to until this hike, seeing as every previous hike we have ever done has been at 7,500' or above.

Next weekend we are going to Big Basin which is a similar elevation, so I am excited to see if things pan out the same or not!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
That looks like a great hike!

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Pinnacles is great, been wanting to go back. Used to go every summer as a kid. Finally got some friends that are down for some backpacking so we're doing part of the Skyline to Sea trail next month.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord

Internet Explorer posted:

Just looking at the picture, this is my thought too. The top where the straps meet look too narrow for someone tall or with broad shoulders, and there is no way to adjust them on that bag.

That certainly may be the case. I have found that straps stretch back at the bottom so it may be too small for me as well. I'm 6' tall but do have broad shoulders.

I'll certainly try using the hip strap more. I know with a large pack I should carry most the weight there.

I'll see if I can get a picture! Thanks for all your advice so far.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I'm going to be hiking and climbing in Shawangunk ridge in early October, and I haven't owned any camping gear since I was a kid. I should be good on a tent, but can anyone recommend a sleeping bag/pad that would be good for fall weather in the northeast? I poked around in the OP and it looks like there's not much info bags-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
My local mountaineering club is building their first alpine cabin since the early 80's, spent last weekend up there helping out with a bunch of crusty old mountaineers. One of them was 73 and blowing my stamina out of the water.

It's going to be a beauty when it's finished, sure feels nice to be contributing something other than instagram shots to the hiking ecosystem. :3: