Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Sagebrush posted:

You can use it to know something is there, but not to give you any information about the thing ("Radio Detection And Ranging").

OK then, RADOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The first thread to pop up when I looked up the P-51s radar was a War Thunder thread, but the OP has good sources and photos. In British trials, as long as you were flying above 1500 feet, an approaching fighter would set it off around 300-350 meters out. Not amazing for avoiding having a guy on your tail, but potentially useful for not letting a fighter climb up your rear and quickly dump cannons in your tail.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/171148-anaps-13-tail-warning-radar/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Simiarly, I'm kinda shocked at how many aircraft out there in WW2 were supposed to drop bombs but didn't have a bomb sight. And not just the Germans either! Coastal Command patrol bombers frequently were lacking in proper bomb sights in the war's early years.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Findings from that 777 crash in Dubai:
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/air-transport/2016-09-07/botched-go-around-appears-have-led-emirates-777-crash

Sounds like some weird wind conditions and an attempted go around without hitting the TOGA switches, landing gear was in the process of retracting when they pancaked on the runway.
Normally you'd hit TOGA, set flaps, then retract gear once you're climbing, not select gear up first. Read the checklist backwards maybe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vessbot posted:

According to Wiki, the Germans developed a passive receiver to home night fighters in on bombers using it.

Wow, Germany, you did something competen—

quote:

On the morning of 13 July 1944, a Junkers Ju 88G-1 nightfighter equipped with Flensburg mistakenly landed at RAF Woodbridge.

Now that’s more like it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Platystemon posted:

Wow, Germany, you did something competen—

Now that’s more like it.

This was a bad thing for the Luftwaffe all around; that Ju 88 had the later air radar their night fighters used, and it wasn't long before the Allies were deploying countermeasures against it.

The crew were new, and thought they were flying to a airbase in Germany from the Netherlands (?). Flying at night, they flew in precisely the opposite direction they meant to go.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Dunno. Compare to an F-16 or a Mirage 2000D for other single-engined strike fighters.

In fact if I make a quick and lazy chart using wikipedia figures for dimensions and mass, the F-35 fits closer to the twin-engine category.

In this specific case, he should rather report to the Central, not the General, Authority.

Lol, just realised how heavy the F-35 was compared to similar-sized jets, and how much lower the MTW was...

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
With regard to the radar topic, I found it hilarious when I learned that Britain and Germany independently and more or less simultaneously invented chaff, and neither used it in fear of the other side stealing it and using it against them. Better save that ace in the hole for when it really counts!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Barnsy posted:

Lol, just realised how heavy the F-35 was compared to similar-sized jets, and how much lower the MTW was...

Those numbers don't really match any other document I can find. It cuts the F-35A's MTOW to about 2/3 of what is most often reported.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

holocaust bloopers posted:

I cannot stress this enough: a B-2 looks mind bending in person. Positively alien.

This has always been one of my favorite comparisons of the B2

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

This has always been one of my favorite comparisons of the B2

Has anyone done one of these in planform?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My bad for the F-35's MTOW, I read the wrong line (loaded weight) instead. The actual wikipedia figure for MTOW is 31800 kg.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

vessbot posted:

With regard to the radar topic, I found it hilarious when I learned that Britain and Germany independently and more or less simultaneously invented chaff, and neither used it in fear of the other side stealing it and using it against them. Better save that ace in the hole for when it really counts!

For a while at least, the Brits used 'Window' from 1943 on.

quote:

Although the metal strips puzzled the German civilians at first, German scientists knew exactly what they were because they had developed Düppel themselves but had refrained from using it for exactly the same reasons as Lindemann had pointed out to the British. Thus for over a year the curious situation arose where both sides of the conflict knew how to use chaff to jam the other side's radar, but refrained from doing so fearing that if they did so the other side would 'learn the trick' and use it against themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_(countermeasure)#Second_World_War

Good article.

Ola fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 11, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CBJamo posted:

Has anyone done one of these in planform?

The Peregrine is slightly less area ruled.

Although that said they're more broadly similar than I thought.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

??? :confused: ???

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Or,

vessbot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 11, 2016

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Triggered by this pic I started looking for some pictures of the intakes of the B-1A to see the differences and where they fit the doors so the thing could top M2, and found that instead of just simplifying them for the B-1B they gave it S-duct inserts to reduce the radar crosssection. Neat!

Shamelessly stolen from here

I remember reading on here that one of the problems they had with the original B-1A was the (acidic?) moisture from insects damaging the leading edges of the wings in low altitude high speed flight. I wonder if someone remembers that story or where I can read more about the original B-1A.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Look what you made me do:

[error: file not found]

Now I want to build a model gannet painted like a gannet

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

pic related;

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

PT6A posted:

I don't mean to offend, but is there something very wrong with you?

Considering there's the possibility of execution via beheading for witchcraft and blasphemy, each of which you could be found guilty of for merely talking about reality, I don't see how it could get worse. At least in a war you could die fighting.

I'm sorry, I meant keep your mouth shut if you're in Saudi Arabia so you don't get beheaded.

I didn't mean don't insult Saudi Arabia when you're not there. I am not remotely offended by people saying Saudi Arabia sucks :v:

SyHopeful posted:

Reminder that Mortabis misses good ol' Rhodesia and has called people criticizing Dick Cheney hippies.

I don't think I've done either. About the only thing I've defended about Dick Cheney on here that I can remember was cancelling the A-12.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 11, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, but almost everyone in here probably found it believable, so the "why" might be worth pondering.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

How would I find the accident report for the Heliostat crash?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Groda posted:

How would I find the accident report for the Heliostat crash?

Helistat. (Heliostat is a sun-following device)

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001213X34293&key=1 - I found it linked from the Wikipedia page.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
A post I made in the spaceflight thread without realizing, because the conversation took me there:

This is is actually interesting because there was a mainstream strain of thought in the early days, that water was the natural environment for launching and recovering planes, since it's a fluid with nearly infinite extent, like air is their environment while in flight. You have vast amounts of "runway" available for takeoff acceleration, so you can set a high prop pitch for cruise performance without worrying about takeoff distance. You can land in any direction so you don't have to worry about crosswinds. It's like the "big grass field" argument but on steroids. And all of this is already provided by mother nature, so there is no need for big infrastructure projects to build runways that are still bound to be constricting.

Jacques Schneider was a believer in this and started the Schneider Trophy races for seaplanes only, which led to a huge amount of development prior to WWII. And of course we know about the Pan Am Clippres. But the big bomber bases of WWII set the grooves for the course of history thereafter.

Army guy beats Navy in water race lol

An interesting entry that tried to eliminate draggy floats by replacing them with hydrofoils and a floating fuselage. It was supposed to accelerate with a water propeller, and shift to the air propeller once it was riding high enough. It didn't work.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 12, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah that tiny aft prop was really gonna get it up to speed. :wtc:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I wonder if you could get it to work with a more modern pump-jet design.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Godholio posted:

It's not that small as naval props go, is it?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Godholio posted:

Just turn on the main prop anyway, what's the worst that could happen? :jeb:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vessbot posted:

An interesting entry that tried to eliminate draggy floats by replacing them with hydrofoils and a floating fuselage. It was supposed to accelerate with a water propeller, and shift to the air propeller once it was riding high enough. It didn't work.

How do you land? Dead stick? Hydroplane and then cut power?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

Well duh, that's just the sustainer propeller that keeps it going once it's airborne. The front propeller sticks into the water to provide thrust during takeoff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bit late, but thought I'd say that this is a pretty nice story to read today. Thanks.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Godholio posted:

Water is 800 times denser than air, you have to move less of it to make an equivalent amount of thrust.

No problem getting airborne for this guy. About same relative size.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Boats, the only thing that can be as expensive as flying planes as a hobby.

Combining the two is probably the fastest way on earth to spend money.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vessbot posted:

Water is 800 times denser than air, you have to move less of it to make an equivalent amount of thrust.

Well, poo poo.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

vessbot posted:

I wonder how they keep from overspeeding their drivetrains on boats like that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

I wonder how they keep from overspeeding their drivetrains on boats like that.

I'm sure software could do it now, but in offshore racing there is one guy steering and one guy throttling. Throttling back on jumps is too much work to do it while steering as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

vessbot posted:

You beat me but I was gonna paste one of the hydrofoils which is very similar to what that plane would be doing.

(note the prop)

Those things are nuuuuuts. They flip in most impressive ways. Truly aeronautical insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
So, I'm not sure if this is considered aeronautical insanity but hydrofoil chat led led me to find that Go 3 racing started campaigning a twin turbo Allison V-1710 boat last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllSvTxsq1A

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/cant-get-enough-twin-turbo-allison-v12-hydroplane/