Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is DID a real thing now? I thought it was on the Otherkin level of special snowflake.

It's always been real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I loved the perfect timing on the crosswalk sign with when the assassin started shooting.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is DID a real thing now? I thought it was on the Otherkin level of special snowflake.

I have an Ex that has recently been diagnosed with it, and it does actually make some sense when I look back on our relationship. I know Reply All had an episode about Tulpamancers recently where you might think it's some cool mental issue to have, but from what I'm told by my ex, it's a complete loving nightmare. She has a daughter and has to deal with loosing sometimes months at a time because she was out of it and always has to have a go bag on her in case she needs to be checked into a facility. She hates it.

To be clear, Tulpa's and "tulpamancers" are extremely stupid and sound like people who wish they had DID.

Max fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 11, 2016

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

sticklefifer posted:

I'd love if the reveal was literally "the call is coming from inside the house".

I am thinking it is Scott the CTOs house. It would explain the goons reaction at least.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

counterfeitsaint posted:

There is some degree of controversy but it's a recognised condition. But it is one of those mental illnesses that people think is cool and would make them seem interesting, so you do get a bunch of people on the internet claiming to have it when they clearly don't.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tiggum posted:

There is some degree of controversy but it's a recognised condition. But it is one of those mental illnesses that people think is cool and would make them seem interesting, so you do get a bunch of people on the internet claiming to have it when they clearly don't.

Yeah, this. I think people don't realize how lovely it is to just loose giant chunks of time in your life and have little control over what you do, especially if you have a family.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

One of the Internet's most broad and terrible offenses is that it's made insanity fashionable

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Having worked in a psych ward and dealt with psychiatric patients I would like to say that people with DID even if it is not "real" are barely functional. All this oh I am in control and then someone else takes control is not what it's like it's like seeing someone possessed and they act completely different. It's like if you were to watch a actor before a theatrical show and just followed them until they were in the show, but instead of acting they just become psychotic and start screaming in a weird tone of voice and start attacking you. Even if they are acting it out or it's some other symptom they are not "functional". It's also incredibly pronounced actions like it's not a subtle change at all they literally look like they've become possessed or their body just slumps and then it's a 150 mph whirlwind of emotion.

It's very disturbing to witness. All these times people have been on shows and such etc.. I believe are faking because having encountered several where the psychiatrist was like " Yes, I don't really believe in DID, but you should be aware that this person may have this condition".

It's like when people say " Oh that person is a sociopath". The vast majority of sociopaths are generally drug addicts etc.. because they only care about self gratification and you can instantly tell.

My favorite example of this is that I encountered a patient that was shot in the neck, but miraculously survived and wasn't really injured. I explained exactly that really it missed the vital sections and it seemed to simply go through flesh. They immediatley asked me for a cigarrette, I told them no, then they were like "Will you please buy me a steak I got shot in the neck". Later on at the hospital I told the doctor this and he explained he'd encountered this person before and that they were a sociopath. They only care about self gratification and will simply do whatever it takes to get what they want out of that gratification. The immediate need at that time was their concern to continue living when we told them they were fine they were like " Ok I want a steak". Sociopaths are not Hannibal Lector the majority of them are in prison , in a mental institution, or are a drug addict/ alcoholic.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 11, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

To be fair, I would also want a free steak if I got shot in the neck.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

How would I even get them a steak I'm on a ambulance and the hospital doesn't serve steak. I'd have to had gone to a store, buy a steak, cook it , and then bring it to them. Oh I forgot to add the reason thy got shot in the neck was that they were a transvestite prostitute and someone discovered that they were in fact a transvestite prostitute. Also, this was the 2nd time this happened to them.

Anyway yes, people with DID and people who are sociopaths are barely functional in society the majority of the time.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Rarity posted:

Am I the only one who thought the source of the phone calls was the Wellick house?

I've heard too many ghost stories :negative:

sticklefifer posted:

I'd love if the reveal was literally "the call is coming from inside the house".
Elliot has been to Wellick's house at least twice now. He knows where Wellick lives. He did not react to the location on the map as though it was where Wellick lives. It's Scott the CTO's house which is backed up by evidence within the show.

C'mon, people. Theorize better than this!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I hope he is at Scott Knowles house and is engaged in some kind of attempt to frame him. Could be some kind of big elaborate plan to shift blame onto Knowles. Seems crazy but its kind of thing he would do after Joanna told him "if you want back in this family, you'll fix this". If he cannot redirect the blame for 5/9 to someone else and exonerate himself, then he isn't getting his family back so that seems like his first priority.

Or maybe he is just loving dead and something else is going on with the phone.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Further in the season. I have no goddamn clue what is going on, and not in a good way.

Was the CD malware way back in season one used by Elliot to hack E Corp in last year's finale?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Narcissus1916 posted:

Further in the season. I have no goddamn clue what is going on, and not in a good way.

Was the CD malware way back in season one used by Elliot to hack E Corp in last year's finale?

What? No. The CD malware was for the Dark Army to spy on Allsafe & Elliot, Elliot had nothing to do with the CD.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

ApexAftermath posted:

he is just loving dead and
Scott Knowles is bored because he doesn't have a wife and his company is trash so he's playing pranks on Wellick's wife for fun.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I like that the bodyguard figured out that Eliot was actually doing his job and started to shoot the poo poo with him. It was the complete opposite of the situation with the drug dealer last season.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Narcissus1916 posted:

The reason the DA's malware was important to 5/9 succeeding is it allowed them to find out about the honey pot that Gideon ordered placed on the server.

eta- so that's why Angela is implicated

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Zythrst posted:

The reason the DA's malware was important to 5/9 succeeding is it allowed them to find out about the honey pot that Gideon ordered placed on the server.

eta- so that's why Angela is implicated

Ohhhhh. Totally forgot about that, thanks! I binged the season in two days so some pieces blurred together.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Every time someone says the DA, I have to stop and remind myself they're not talking about the District Attorney so that it makes sense again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

How would I even get them a steak I'm on a ambulance and the hospital doesn't serve steak. I'd have to had gone to a store, buy a steak, cook it , and then bring it to them. Oh I forgot to add the reason thy got shot in the neck was that they were a transvestite prostitute and someone discovered that they were in fact a transvestite prostitute. Also, this was the 2nd time this happened to them.

Haha, man, I was joking.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

counterfeitsaint posted:

Every time someone says the DA, I have to stop and remind myself they're not talking about the District Attorney so that it makes sense again.

I'm not emptyquoting this.

it's a very confusing acronym.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
DA can mean:

District Attorney
Dark Army
Deviant Art
Dental Assistant
Doctor of Art
Dumbledore's Army

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

clown shoes posted:

DA can mean:

District Attorney
Dark Army
Deviant Art
Dental Assistant
Doctor of Art
Dumbledore's Army
Also, Distribution Amplifier, which can split video signals. I just learned that last week at my job.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Here is how you do a real hacking scene, pack it in you amateurs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Hn1rPQouU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the majority of sociopaths are actually "normal human beings" as defined by their peers.

Modern society rewards sociopathic behavior and does almost nothing to prevent sociopathic tendencies. Even modern psychiatry often tells people that it's "healthy" and "natural" to think of themselves over others, because learning psychology or psychiatry doesn't make you immune to anything, much in the same way that being a doctor doesn't stop you from getting cancer.

e: I didn't even consider that this post speaks directly to themes of this show, but it totally does. E Corp is a cult of sociopathy, essentially.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

waitwhatno posted:

Also this:

https://youtu.be/u8qgehH3kEQ

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Snak posted:

I mean, it was basically telegraphed from The first episode that Elliot wanted to be with her but she had this annoying boyfriend that he hated.

I guess I'm just upset the girl I thought would be better for him ended up in the trunk of a car...

Before I didn't think that those goons in the train might be DA people Elliot told to kill Angela, but I hope that is the case

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It was super obvious that Elliott had a thing for Angela, but I can't honestly say that I ever saw her reciprocating.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

waitwhatno posted:

I want the cat virus hack

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

It was super obvious that Elliott had a thing for Angela, but I can't honestly say that I ever saw her reciprocating.

I actually figured she might feel the same way but he's too weird and flaky. Like she needs someone safe and stable. But also they are/were best friends.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Well she had someone who was safe and stable and she poo poo on his life. I guess he was gettin some side though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In season 1 every time I saw Angela's dumb boyfriend I thought I was watching a Mr. Robot/Workaholics crossover.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

precision posted:

In season 1 every time I saw Angela's dumb boyfriend I thought I was watching a Mr. Robot/Workaholics crossover.

They should have cast the dude with the red fro as Cisco. Perfect role for him

Lmao and Ders could have been Wellick. Ahaha...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Med School posted:

Well she had someone who was safe and stable and she poo poo on his life. I guess he was gettin some side though.

Not only was he cheating on her, he put the virus on his computer and compromised her and her dad financially. The thing about Angela is that while she's trying to be a professional grownup, she's a rebel just like Elliot and Darlene. She doesn't give a poo poo about rules and if you mess with her or hers, she's gonna mess you up.

Elliot is trying to change society. Darlene is just hating on it, and Angela is just trying to find how she can fit in. And it's not working. For any of them.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

I like that the bodyguard figured out that Eliot was actually doing his job and started to shoot the poo poo with him. It was the complete opposite of the situation with the drug dealer last season.

Yeah I enjoyed how Elliot explaining the plan disarmed the whole "hey I thought you were gonna hack something...this doesn't look like hacking!" line of questioning. Also how quickly he got 100% engaged again when he heard Elliot getting the coordinates.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Can someone explain to me what actually happened when Elliot received the call from Tyrell in prison?

Seriously Tyrell is my favorite character, I need a bonsoir Elliot before this season ends.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Social Animal posted:

Can someone explain to me what actually happened when Elliot received the call from Tyrell in prison?

Seriously Tyrell is my favorite character, I need a bonsoir Elliot before this season ends.

I am not completely sure / it is not completely clear, but the show suggests that it was mr Robot deceiving Eliott (he kind of admits to doing that but he could have been lying of course).

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

precision posted:

That's how I read it as well. Nerdy guy has a long time crush on attractive female friend. She's always known it but just wants to remain friends as he quietly pines.

uncertainty posted:

I am not completely sure / it is not completely clear, but the show suggests that it was mr Robot deceiving Eliott (he kind of admits to doing that but he could have been lying of course).

I wondered why Elliot didn't bring the phone call up in the boiler room scene when Mr. Robot tells him that he killed Wellick. I don't think he's ever asked about that.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 12, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Social Animal posted:

Since the main operation has been presumably all due to Mr. Robot (given that Elliot doesn't know what Phase 2 is), and how Elliot doesn't remember what happened to Tyrell, only that Mr. Robot says he killed him, the conclusion I'm drawing is that Tyrell is alive. The phone call was between Mr. Robot and Tyrell, perhaps as a status update, wherein Elliot comes back into control right at the end to hear Tyrell say "Bonsoir." I'm assuming Tyrell upheld his part of the plan and was telling Elliot 'good luck' in carrying out the rest.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Not only was he cheating on her, he put the virus on his computer and compromised her and her dad financially. The thing about Angela is that while she's trying to be a professional grownup, she's a rebel just like Elliot and Darlene. She doesn't give a poo poo about rules and if you mess with her or hers, she's gonna mess you up.

Elliot is trying to change society. Darlene is just hating on it, and Angela is just trying to find how she can fit in. And it's not working. For any of them.
Well put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Shoren posted:

Since the main operation has been presumably all due to Mr. Robot (given that Elliot doesn't know what Phase 2 is), and how Elliot doesn't remember what happened to Tyrell, only that Mr. Robot says he killed him, the conclusion I'm drawing is that Tyrell is alive. The phone call was between Mr. Robot and Tyrell, perhaps as a status update, wherein Elliot comes back into control right at the end to hear Tyrell say "Bonsoir." I'm assuming Tyrell upheld his part of the plan and was telling Elliot 'good luck' in carrying out the rest.

Ok I like this and I hope it means more Tyrell later on.

Is there anyone else here who liked the show before it turned into a hacking fight club? I know there were clues before the reveal regarding mr robot but to me the show was better when it wasn't full of clusterfuck.

Not to say I'm not enjoying it now but life was so simple then :/

• Locked thread