Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I guess I am just naive but what can you do with a plate number? Mine is L33tlkjk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 4, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$500 for a running/driving/stopping car is a steal.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Extra posted:

The more I think about it maybe I should just junk it, what's the goon opinion? Mechanically it's perfectly reliable but I'm thinking the rust might be grounds for junking. I hate to see a working car be wasted and the money would be nice but I want to make the reasonable decision.
Pay someone to do items 1 and 2, then sell it for more?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Pay someone to do items 1 and 2, then sell it for more?
Alternatively, put it on Craigslist for a underprivileged person (teenager?) to get a small foot up. Then, enjoy the feeling of helping people.

SupaKila
Feb 19, 2003
Looking into the viability of selling an original rear end for a 1968 Firebird.

Long story short, I inherited a 1968 Firebird when my dad passed a few years ago, and I've been storing it in my aunt's garage along with some of the original parts. My aunt is moving, and I've got a nice new home for the car, but I'm wondering if it's worth trying to sell the original rear end (we replaced it with posi). It's the full axel with wheels and everything, and I don't have room to store it anymore unless I get a small storage unit (and rent a truck to haul it there). And the only way that would make sense is if I could sell it in the near-ish future.

I've been looking on ebay to try and get a sense of how much these things go for, but I can't really find a good comparison--most of what I'm seeing are more like what we replaced it with, a posi rear end. But I'm not very well versed in this type of market, so I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Rear end, paying to store it is a losing proposition. You wisely replaced it for a reason and brand new ford nine inch rears ready to drop in place with axles are only $1200. I would list it for $100 and hope someone wants it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SupaKila posted:

Looking into the viability of selling an original rear end for a 1968 Firebird.

Long story short, I inherited a 1968 Firebird when my dad passed a few years ago, and I've been storing it in my aunt's garage along with some of the original parts. My aunt is moving, and I've got a nice new home for the car, but I'm wondering if it's worth trying to sell the original rear end (we replaced it with posi). It's the full axel with wheels and everything, and I don't have room to store it anymore unless I get a small storage unit (and rent a truck to haul it there). And the only way that would make sense is if I could sell it in the near-ish future.

I've been looking on ebay to try and get a sense of how much these things go for, but I can't really find a good comparison--most of what I'm seeing are more like what we replaced it with, a posi rear end. But I'm not very well versed in this type of market, so I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction?

See if you can find the code stamped on there somewhere and figure out your ratio. Shorter ones tend to be a bit more desirable, but it sounds like yours is non-LSD so that's usually a pretty big strike against. You might get lucky and find somebody that's restoring an old 'bird and wants a rear end, but like Elephanthead said, your best bet is to just list it here and there and hope for the best.

Nobody in their right mind wants to buy an 8.2" Chevy so I actually ended up just scrapping mine.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

See if you can find the code stamped on there somewhere and figure out your ratio. Shorter ones tend to be a bit more desirable, but it sounds like yours is non-LSD so that's usually a pretty big strike against. You might get lucky and find somebody that's restoring an old 'bird and wants a rear end, but like Elephanthead said, your best bet is to just list it here and there and hope for the best.

Nobody in their right mind wants to buy an 8.2" Chevy so I actually ended up just scrapping mine.

With units people can pull from the junkyard being able to bolt up to most old gms people aren't as picky about oem as much anymore. And Boaz McPherson I will buy that axle off you for ......reasons.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SouthsideSaint posted:

With units people can pull from the junkyard being able to bolt up to most old gms people aren't as picky about oem as much anymore. And Boaz McPherson I will buy that axle off you for ......reasons.

Dude, that thing's long gone. I'll give you first crack at the engine though. :)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Dude, that thing's long gone. I'll give you first crack at the engine though. :)

Thanks it's for house art so whatever you got let's make a deal.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Selling my 2004 WRX wagon in the West Michigan area. I know there are a few goons around here so I figured it was worth a shot.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/5789272652.html

And if anyone has critiques of the post/info/whatever I'd love constructive criticism, thanks!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

amenenema posted:

Selling my 2004 WRX wagon in the West Michigan area. I know there are a few goons around here so I figured it was worth a shot.

And if anyone has critiques of the post/info/whatever I'd love constructive criticism, thanks!

Great posting, very thorough

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

amenenema posted:

I actually know a guy looking for an 04/05 wagon. I will send him the link. We're in NE Indiana so it wouldn't be an insane drive.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Selling the wifes car, a 1998 Acura Integra LS /automatic transmission. It is far from perfect but if a goon in the area needs cheap transportation it runs and drives. $500 takes it. Can't get anything but scammers on CL

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5791546507.html

This is the listing, if interested PM or respond to the add. It does have a hot start issue that is not the main relay.

Maksimus54 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 22, 2016

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I actually know a guy looking for an 04/05 wagon. I will send him the link. We're in NE Indiana so it wouldn't be an insane drive.

Sorry, sold this morning. Went to the first person who came to see it. Shoulda asked for more I guess!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

amenenema posted:

Sorry, sold this morning. Went to the first person who came to see it. Shoulda asked for more I guess!

Well I sent him the link so it's his loss!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Maksimus54 posted:

Selling the wifes car, a 1998 Acura Integra LS /automatic transmission. It is far from perfect but if a goon in the area needs cheap transportation it runs and drives. $500 takes it. Can't get anything but scammers on CL

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5791546507.html

This is the listing, if interested PM or respond to the add. It does have a hot start issue that is not the main relay.

I have a Civic of the same era and area with a hot start issue. Goondolences.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

MrKatharsis posted:

I have a Civic of the same era and area with a hot start issue. Goondolences.

It's a complete and utter beater. It did it's job of getting my wife to work and back for 2 years. It's getting donated if no one wants a cheap car. I can apparently only get flakes and/or scammers to respond on CL

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

Maksimus54 posted:

It's a complete and utter beater. It did it's job of getting my wife to work and back for 2 years. It's getting donated if no one wants a cheap car. I can apparently only get flakes and/or scammers to respond on CL

If you were in the Northeast, that would have been sold in a heartbeat (after the flakes and scammers showed up first).

For the hot start issue in Hondas, 99% of the time cold solder connections in the fuel relay under the dash are the cause. New relays are pretty cheap, or you can flow new solder into the connections.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

eddyc49 posted:

If you were in the Northeast, that would have been sold in a heartbeat (after the flakes and scammers showed up first).

For the hot start issue in Hondas, 99% of the time cold solder connections in the fuel relay under the dash are the cause. New relays are pretty cheap, or you can flow new solder into the connections.

While you're in there you probably want to pull and recap the ECU anyway. My '92 just died a few weeks ago from the C14 power-regulator cap making GBS threads out electrolyte and eating two traces.

$7 in Digikey parts and you're good for 25 more years.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Set of 2008 Civic SI wheels, two minor curb checks. Have boxes to ship, and to be honest if anyone wants them here I'll let them go stupid cheap. Car gone, can't use them on the new one. Fits nearly anything Honda/Acura and 5 lug.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
https://cargur.us/bBTc9

'09 CTS-V in Denver dropped to 31K. In Denver. Have some buyers coming in this weekend.

Goonprice 30K.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Time has come to sell the Volvo. It's a 2006 V70 with 153k miles but it's in great shape, honestly. $4700 but I could work on a goon price if there was an interested party. Located in metro Detroit.

I mean, it has 3rd row rear facing seats, cmon.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5824761079.html

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Looking to offload my 05 Civic DX/VP so I can go buy the tiny european car of my dreams. Or something like that, I'm just tired of having a Cvic and want something more fun. It's the car I cut my teeth on, both for car repair and driving a manual transmission, so there's some rounded bolts and whatnot, but overall, I'd say good condition

Optimistically asking for $3500, but I'm expecting to get ~$3200 in the end. Goon price, I'd say an even $3000, plus all of the info I have on the car

Ad neglects to mention that I hit a deer and hosed up the driver's side portion of the car, but it was fixed by a body shop that did a pretty good job, save for replacing the motor mounts that got sheared when I hit the deer. The invoice is in my maintenance records, but I don't want to scare off potential buyers. Both mounts were replaced by me and the transmission mount doesn't appear to have been damaged.

I'll list all of the work that needs to be done that I know of. None of it is serious, but it is annoying
-Thermostat housing needs to be fixed, there's a small, but consistent coolant leak that costs me a quart of coolant or so a month. 2 quarts if the heat is on.
-Fuel door cable needs to be repaired. It's a $20 part off amazon, but I can just operate it from the trunk instead of the driver's seat
-Alternator or just the alternator bearing, needs to be replaced. It whines and vibrates under moderate load (i.e. defroster/AC evap fan, lights, and stereo all on), loosening the tensioning wingnut in the process. The wingnut is accessible without tools, so once a week, I just tighten the stupid thing and keep my electrical usage low fixed :effortless:

It's an older car, so there's a bit of dry-rot on the tires, plus the fuel injectors and some suspension rubber will need replacing in a year or two, but I'd trust it to drive me pretty much anywhere in its current state.

E: repairs done

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 31, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I have a leftover Gates timing belt and water pump that I never installed, still brand new for a 06 V70 2.5T. Looks like it comes with a tensioner and idler pulley.

GATES TCKWP331A {#WPK41110C} PowerGrip Premium OE Timing Belt Component Kit W/Water Pump Info One of our most popular parts
Engine No. 3188689 & After; Interference engine application

This is the rock auto image for it, I've never opened it.

$143 on rockauto, I'd sell it to a goon for $100 shipped.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

If anyone wants simple/basic OBDII code readers, ELM327 Bluetooth scanners, or other various stuff (I haven't listed yet), I've got a few things listed in SAMart.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

If anyone wants simple/basic OBDII code readers, ELM327 Bluetooth scanners, or other various stuff (I haven't listed yet), I've got a few things listed in SAMart.

You don't have PM so .. KrisH61588@ the gmails. Want the red konnway scanner.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Selling 3 laptops and 2 tablets in SAMart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795974&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post465902479

blk fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 30, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

kastein posted:

Datsun words

Alright, I have pictures now, only a few months later!

Price is $1k, negotiable. I still haven't done a drat thing to it other than buy parts for it. Brother found the last registration, still looking for the title. Being a 1980 I think that means it should be registrable in ME, NH, VT, RI, CT, and maybe even MA but not sure. He's looking for the title.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 19, 2022

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The listed price is kind of a "F you", so make offers if anybody is interested. Selling my 72 super beetle.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/5872266150.html

I've finally got it reliable enough (daily drive it 40 miles) that it's boring. Anybody have a Subaru baja?

Only enough room in the stable for one ACVW.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Selling my Dad's 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab diesel - he passed away over the summer, and I really don't need such a heavy duty truck since I don't haul/tow much.

178k miles, auto, 2WD SLT package with power driver seat and the Infinity audio system - I replaced the 6 disc changer with a Pioneer head unit for bluetooth/aux capabilities. He installed a CB radio, laptop mount, as well as a cell antenna in the bed for a data card. He installed an aux water temp gauge and an aux electric radiator fan.

It could use a new set of tires and a new drivers seat (Dad at one point was almost 500 lbs, so it is a bit broken down). He purchased it new in Houston Texas, and it only spent 3 years in PA during the winter where he would undercoat it every fall. I put it up on Craigslist for $16k, but I'd be happy with $13k. http://onslow.craigslist.org/cto/5874612894.html for pics and the full listing

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Just posted a set of Rays Lugnuts for sale over on SA Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797934

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It would be hilarious to throw these on my Jeep (I need to replace my lug nuts), but they wouldn't fit.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Safety Dance posted:

It would be hilarious to throw these on my Jeep (I need to replace my lug nuts), but they wouldn't fit.

drat, that would be hilarious! They won't fit on my Subaru either, I'm didn't even think to check before I bought them.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Toyota center caps 62mm. Brand new, ordered the wrong size, I need 72mm because I'm dumb.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798479

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bought the wrong snow tires for the wife's car, didn't realize 10mm in the sidewall value equates to nearly 2 inches in tire height. :doh: These looked tiny on the outback that has a lot of wheel gap in the first place.

From the ad:

General Altimax Artics with about 1/4" of tread left on all 4. Plenty to last a few more seasons. I bought these used and it turns out that they're the wrong size (needed a 55 series sidewall, oops). They were used on a Subaru so one of the bolt patterns is 5x100. Other might be 5x114.3 but I can't confirm. Wheels are 17x7 and seem fairly high offset but I couldn't find a value on the back of the wheels. The black paint on them (two tone wheels) is chipping off so they could use refinishing or just run them since they're winter wheels. Includes tuner lugs and socket.

$250 but I'd cut a deal for a goon. Detroit area. SOLD.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 12, 2016

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Larrymer posted:

Bought the wrong snow tires for the wife's car, didn't realize 10mm in the sidewall value equates to nearly 2 inches in tire height. :doh: These looked tiny on the outback that has a lot of wheel gap in the first place.

The sidewall number is a percentage ratio to the width of the tire, not a measurement of the height :eng101:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nocheez posted:

The sidewall number is a percentage ratio to the width of the tire, not a measurement of the height :eng101:

Oh I know, I just figured it would be close enough without really throwing the numbers in a tire calculator. Silly me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Larrymer posted:

Oh I know, I just figured it would be close enough without really throwing the numbers in a tire calculator. Silly me
Are you sure? Because you said "10mm" when you posted them here and didn't think that 10% was a lot.