Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Ah, thanks, I appreciate the help. Time to delve into the terrible depths and punch fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I haven't played this new exosuit patch yet, just wondering does the exosuit dock anywhere neat with your base or cyclops? I really like the way they did that with the seamoth, and hope you don't just have to leave the prawn on the seabed or something.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Docks in the same place as the seamoth.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This might be a dumb question, but is the exo suit neutrally buoyant? Most of those kinds of things are not, and I can just imagine me accidentally dumping it off a cliff

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Cool new stuff in new updates, really feels like were coming into the home stretch with the addition of the new special structures

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This might be a dumb question, but is the exo suit neutrally buoyant? Most of those kinds of things are not, and I can just imagine me accidentally dumping it off a cliff

No it falls to the floor but has a jetpack and a grapple.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

GlyphGryph posted:

Cool new stuff in new updates, really feels like were coming into the home stretch with the addition of the new special structures

When was there an update? I haven't seen anything new today. What are the special structures?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

When was there an update? I haven't seen anything new today. What are the special structures?

Theres a gigantic space gun, probably what we will have to somehow disable to make our escape and which shot down our ship. Other stuff too but thats the big one. Dont actually know exactly how new it is, been mostly resisting urge to play, but its still awesome

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 11, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Oh you're talking about the building Next to the mountain?

There's 2 other buildings. One had PDAs in it but those were literally patched away the next day.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Oh right I would have to start a new game or play Experimental to see the new stuff, right?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Oh right I would have to start a new game or play Experimental to see the new stuff, right?

Just start a new game in experimental and use the console to spawn stuff in, not worth playing the whole thing over again.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Well I've now lost 3 PRAWNs by falling through the seabed so that console thing sounds pretty good right about now.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Stuff in the works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vG6ZkBPsj0

Also endgame stuff, avoid if you don't want to be spoiled: https://i.imgur.com/MTQSpy7.png

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
This game rocks in VR. It's janky but only a little, and the spectacle and depth of the world really makes up for it. Love the music too

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Played on Experimental up to the Prawn update. Now I'm doing my damnedest to not play any more until release. It really does feel like we're in the home stretch and I am totally not deluding myself in regards to a release date.

On a related note, is the game still ballparking for a December/January release?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Their roadmap now goes to February... but I'm glad they're pushing it back rather than trying to stick to a schedule they can't finish the game in and pushing out an unfinished product.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
quote is not edit.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

StrangeAeon posted:

Played on Experimental up to the Prawn update. Now I'm doing my damnedest to not play any more until release. It really does feel like we're in the home stretch and I am totally not deluding myself in regards to a release date.

On a related note, is the game still ballparking for a December/January release?

Just looked trough the roadmap... and you can calmly forget about february release. The reason is all the stuff still unscheduled in the 'unknown' category, meaning one of two things: until the team enters crunch (or panic-we-are-running-out-of-funding-mode), that stuff is neither getting done or axed :) And as long as they still want it in but not getting that scheduled, they won't release.

I'm guessing next summer, depending on the breaks

(the core team is what, 8~people-ish? With all this ambition still in, they need either more folks or high crunch late november to polish-done before march's end reliably)

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
My concern is with the performance optimization as a single item in January. I do appreciate that they've scheduled in for fleeing the country next year.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Met posted:

Their roadmap now goes to February... but I'm glad they're pushing it back rather than trying to stick to a schedule they can't finish the game in and pushing out an unfinished product.

quote:

We give all EA players the Cute Fish item. In game we query whether the player has a Cute Fish item in their Steam inventory and spawn a Cute Fish accordingly. The Cute Fish does not save/load. It just follows the player like a pet in Dota2.

If for any reason the distance between fish and player becomes too big we just teleport the fish right behind the player. (if we do this then anyone that doesn't want the Cute Fish to follow them around for the next 20 hours must knife him to death...every time they load the game)

lol

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think there are some rather large adjustments that need to be made to basic parts of how the game works, like completely gutting and redoing how terrain works or stopping the game from rendering the sky when you look up in enclosed areas like inside the Aurora or the active lava zone, that don't look like probable candidates to be squeezed out along with all the other stuff in ~3 months.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So what biome area do you guys tend to build in? I just realized today my base is located in "Sparse Reef" which... explains many things :cripes:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Danaru posted:

So what biome area do you guys tend to build in? I just realized today my base is located in "Sparse Reef" which... explains many things :cripes:

I like building in Safe Shallows overlooking Kelp Forests. The spot near a big thermal vent is a fav of mine for some free energy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It's been a while, but I always liked building above water on the mountain island.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The red grass plains near the big wreck chunk have an area which has a big pillar, near a little trench, with a flat plain on one side. I almost always build there. Nice deep area with a good background colour and easy access to some useful areas. Also nice view with the reefbacks drifting about.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I hope they upgrade the Cyclops to also hold the Prawn, because right now it feels super useless, the Seamoth is just better in every single way.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Oasx posted:

I hope they upgrade the Cyclops to also hold the Prawn, because right now it feels super useless, the Seamoth is just better in every single way.

It does hold the Prawn. Or do you mean both at once?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
For utility, I like building on the far western edge of the safe shallows. It's right next to kelp forest, grassy plateaus, mushroom forest, and the dunes. I think any place that's near the border of a few different biomes is good because you spend less time on resource gathering trips. And staying in/near the safe shallows at the start seems best because of high titanium costs and plentiful metal salvage.

For visuals, I like the deep grand reef. Long glass hallways, multiple two-story aquariums, blood vines in external planters and a bunch of tank-bred ampeels released outside. Full on alien weirdness.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Danaru posted:

At the beginning I build by the geyser on the east side of the shallows, next to the plains and a small stretch of the kelp forest. It gives me plenty of silver to get things going.

For fun I built a base underneath Floater Island. I just ringed the island with foundation and built the structures inwards. I'm thinking of making a way up through the hole in the middle of the island and maybe a huge vertical connector down to the Grand Reef.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oasx posted:

You can't punch or drill or hookshot things with the seamoth so that seems blatantly untrue even ignoring the side issue that the Cyclops can hold the prawn.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

You can't punch or drill or hookshot things with the seamoth so that seems blatantly untrue even ignoring the side issue that the Cyclops can hold the prawn.

I am incredibly surprised the Cyclops does not hold the prawn. That's a planned feature though right? I can't think of literally any reason not to be able to transport the Cyclops except to "encourage" you to build more forward bases with moonpools and spare suits, just so you don't have to walk/grapple all the way from your main base to the mountains or whatever.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Section Z posted:

I am incredibly surprised the Cyclops does not hold the prawn.

The Cyclops does hold the Prawn. Why do people keep thinking it doesn't?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Section Z posted:

I am incredibly surprised the Cyclops does not hold the prawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzA7vVlOi3Q&t=1172s

????

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oasx posted:

Well, the Cyclops can carry the Prawn... and the Seamoth isn't better in every single way. It's completely incapable of exploring deeper than 900m.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just saw a wild warper in the Sparse Reef while playing experimental.

Pretty sure I haven't spawned anything in during this playthrough.

EDIT: It seems to just randomly spawn out of nowhere.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 17, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have the cyclops I would suggest that the prawn is infinitely more useful than the seamoth, given that its primary limitation is that it lacks mobility, carry the prawn where you need to go, get out and beat stuff up.

Prawn or seamoth without a cyclops is a toss up depending on whether you want to go deep or far, but if you have the cyclops then the only thing you are limited by is all the functionality that the prawn provides.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Weembles posted:

The Cyclops does hold the Prawn. Why do people keep thinking it doesn't?

I was an idiot and missread can as can't while posting before heading out the door :downs:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's three things the Seamoth has over the Prawn: Mobility, the Personal Defense Field of Electric Ownage, and the Radar.

Prawn is right fun and drilling stuff gives you a TON of resources though.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Dyz posted:

Just saw a wild warper in the Sparse Reef while playing experimental.

Pretty sure I haven't spawned anything in during this playthrough.

EDIT: It seems to just randomly spawn out of nowhere.

Yeah, I just started a new game and built my base on a high arch in the Sparse Reef, just above the Grand Reef. Two Warpers keep "patrolling" by teleporting in, swimming around, then teleporting out. I managed to scan one, but uh... they're a little hostile. I recommend staring them in the face at least once, just to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I prefer just to build in the safe shallows. Equal distance from any corner of the map.