Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Are the next three years going to be hell waiting for CS3?

Falcom doesn't have anything else on the docket besides the PS4 versions of Ys 8 and Tokyo Xanadu, so I'd bet on it releasing in Japan sometime in 2017 with the localization coming some months afterwards. So pulling poo poo out of my rear end, Winter 2018 at the latest, with Sky 3rd and maybe Crossbell in the interim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Crossbell in 2017/18 would be AMAZING.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, but like I said I'm pulling poo poo out of my rear end. Even in the absolute best case scenario where XSeed doesn't have any conflicts with other work, the platform issues are resolved, no issues crop up during the localization process, and they start right after wrapping up 3rd, it'd still probably take the better part of a year to get just Zero out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

even as a dude who's pretty confident well get those games getting both out before CSIII would be a huge feat unless CSIII is delayed. far more likely to come afterwards, or they just mess up the release order further

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Motto posted:

Yeah, but like I said I'm pulling poo poo out of my rear end. Even in the absolute best case scenario where XSeed doesn't have any conflicts with other work, the platform issues are resolved, no issues crop up during the localization process, and they start right after wrapping up 3rd, it'd still probably take the better part of a year to get just Zero out.

Oh I know, I just really want to play Zero and Azure, since I've heard they're the best of the games and I want context for what I've seen in Cold Steel.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Oh duh, I totally blanked on doubling up on Evergreens. I think I'm trying to conserve my U-Materials too much.

I am a little sad that the upgraded weapons don't give Evade boosts like in CS1.

One of the silver(?) R-gems has a +5 evade.
And yeah, evergreens are amazing.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I could see Zero being out before CS3 but Ao def needs to come out after for it to make any kind of localization time sense.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It would be cool if XSeed was already working on translating Zero.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some Numbers posted:

It would be cool if XSeed was already working on translating Zero.

assuming they have two teams for Falcom games, I would assume one is on 3rd and the other is getting ready for ys 8.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

assuming they have two teams for Falcom games, I would assume one is on 3rd and the other is getting ready for ys 8.

Right, but as soon as the translation for Sky 3rd is done, that team could - in theory - start working on Zero.

What's the legality behind translating the text for a game without having a formal license to release said game?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

illegal

but why would they do that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

OddObserver posted:

One of the silver(?) R-gems has a +5 evade.
And yeah, evergreens are amazing.

First thing I did on 12/5 was spend all my U-materials to trade up to an Evergreen for Fie. They are top tier.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought the Ernst fight looked fun but those three little shits completely ruin it. You can't go slow because it forces you into damage to stop the one healing him, you can't go quick because he'll kick your rear end.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cake Attack posted:

no why would you do that

Because a part of me wants to create a save where I danced with Fie. Ah, fine, I'll just use the save I have and taste CS2 already.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

illegal

but why would they do that.

To get a headstart on the translation hedging on getting the license later. That way, some of the work is already done, letting them release it earlier than they'd be able to if they started the whole job when they got the license.

Granted, depending on where negotiations are, that could definitely be a complete waste of time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

depending on the circumstances, stuff like that can work out (like fan translators of visual novels licensing those fan translations to publishers) but xseed wouldn't risk it considering how finnicky falcom can be

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Even ignoring legality it'd just be bad business to assign some of their slim resources to a project they might get in the future over the ones they actually have right now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I feel like this game has been minutes from ending for like 4 hours now

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this (epilogue) final dungeon is really weird. the game feels like it already ended, and the way it's set up feels like a post game or DLC dungeon. is it? like there's actually going to be something interesting at the end, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

this (epilogue) final dungeon is really weird. the game feels like it already ended, and the way it's set up feels like a post game or DLC dungeon. is it? like there's actually going to be something interesting at the end, right?

No, the epilogue dungeon is explicitly in-story meaningless and just something Class VII do to have a final adventure together. Everyone, including the boss, say it is without meaning.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

No, the epilogue dungeon is explicitly in-story meaningless and just something Class VII do to have a final adventure together. Everyone, including the boss, say it is without meaning.

oh good, i wasn't really looking forward to it. i'll just do it uh... never probably. they really should have made that a little more clear, the game flows straight into it, unless i missed an indicator somewhere

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
I know I've seen it posted already but it's worth repeating:

Duvalie owns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

oh good, i wasn't really looking forward to it. i'll just do it uh... never probably. they really should have made that a little more clear, the game flows straight into it, unless i missed an indicator somewhere

Well, finishing it is necessary to get the final sendoff and get NG+. It's just in a plot sense it's meaningless.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Well, finishing it is necessary to get the final sendoff and get NG+. It's just in a plot sense it's meaningless.

fair enough. i've been playing like all day so ill probably be in the mood to beat it later, i just won't bother today if it's not that important

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Endorph posted:

depending on the circumstances, stuff like that can work out (like fan translators of visual novels licensing those fan translations to publishers) but xseed wouldn't risk it considering how finnicky falcom can be
Wasn't Oath in Felghana one of those legitimatized fan translations? I know it was one of the first games to be released after a long drought, but I don't think that would've affected Falcom's standards.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

leather fedora posted:

Wasn't Oath in Felghana one of those legitimatized fan translations? I know it was one of the first games to be released after a long drought, but I don't think that would've affected Falcom's standards.

Oh man I so desperately want to get into this so we can get into another derail about how insane ysutopia/nightwolve are but I'm about to finish the finale. Someone else get into it please.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

leather fedora posted:

Origins was. Not sure about OiF.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just in the (chapter 1 SC) ghost investigation at Jesina Academy and I guess it was the conversation between Estelle and Kloe in the auditorium that's making me post this, but Estelle's gradual transformation from a pretty stereotypical, one-dimensional ditsy tomboy into a more nuanced character has happened so gradually I hardly noticed it.

At the beginning of FC I kind of took her apparent lack of depth for granted, because it's a JRPG and I don't expect much out of JRPG characters (maybe I haven't played enough, just saying that's my impression). Now I'm seeing some payoff from things that happened to her in FC and it's honestly pretty impressive.

Edit: Also, Ghost Busters reference. I love you, XSeed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, on Hard+ are Divine Knight battles even feasible without almost constant Morning Moon use? The early ones, when you're only facing Soldats and their variants, are fine, but from the Neithardt battle on, the enemy suits are after a little bit of damage are just doing multiple specials, that each do a huge chunk of your health, between each even normal attack you get. Like, first attempt at Neithardt failed because he did ~100k damage in two successive attacks without any in-between for the player. Gaius has basically become the default assist simply for spamming Wild Rage.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm just in the (chapter 1 SC) ghost investigation at Jesina Academy and I guess it was the conversation between Estelle and Kloe in the auditorium that's making me post this, but Estelle's gradual transformation from a pretty stereotypical, one-dimensional ditsy tomboy into a more nuanced character has happened so gradually I hardly noticed it.

At the beginning of FC I kind of took her apparent lack of depth for granted, because it's a JRPG and I don't expect much out of JRPG characters (maybe I haven't played enough, just saying that's my impression). Now I'm seeing some payoff from things that happened to her in FC and it's honestly pretty impressive.

Edit: Also, Ghost Busters reference. I love you, XSeed.

That's gonna basically keep building throughout the rest of the game. Estelle is genuinely one of the best protagonists to any game ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

So, on Hard+ are Divine Knight battles even feasible without almost constant Morning Moon use? The early ones, when you're only facing Soldats and their variants, are fine, but from the Neithardt battle on, the enemy suits are after a little bit of damage are just doing multiple specials, that each do a huge chunk of your health, between each even normal attack you get. Like, first attempt at Neithardt failed because he did ~100k damage in two successive attacks without any in-between for the player. Gaius has basically become the default assist simply for spamming Wild Rage.

I preferred buffing my defense with Emma. Remember that defense buffs stack and with two defense buffs up you're almost unkillable. Also good is Fie (Two speed buffs = tons of turns) or Laura (Two damage buffs = enemies take half as long to kill.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also i just kinda want to say this game spoils crossbell far less then i kinda figured it would. the things you hear about crossbell are so divorced of context/explanation that it's pretty hard to consider them spoilers

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

So, on Hard+ are Divine Knight battles even feasible without almost constant Morning Moon use?

I think you mostly need to choose between buffing defense, ignoring speed and then using morning moon or using your slots for two speed and one attack and timing your supports well with Sara being a good choice if you're not going to morning moon/low speed. The guard command is a good idea too since it reduces damage by 70% and lasts until your next turn just like morning moon.

edit: Also, I'm unclear on the mechanics of it but I think Lustrous Slash automatically gives you a full 5 chain if you use it to get a killing blow? I've had it randomly bring me from 0 to 5 a few times now and I think that's the condition for it. Not sure if it's useful for multi-mech battles since I've only done it 1v1 but maybe something to keep in mind if it isn't just a style thing to let you do the sweet attacks as finishers.

Decus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 12, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

giving the boss a 50% heal bonus right after I use my s breaks on crit turns is real mean, cold steel 2

it's even meaner when you follow it with a 10% heal turn and a move that heals the boss for 20%

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it also amuses me to no end that wild rage 2 is significantly nerfed in CSII.

RIP wild rage 2, the craft too OP even for Cold Steel

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Decus posted:

edit: Also, I'm unclear on the mechanics of it but I think Lustrous Slash automatically gives you a full 5 chain if you use it to get a killing blow? I've had it randomly bring me from 0 to 5 a few times now and I think that's the condition for it. Not sure if it's useful for multi-mech battles since I've only done it 1v1 but maybe something to keep in mind if it isn't just a style thing to let you do the sweet attacks as finishers.

i think it bumps you straight to 5 points any time you unbalance bosses when they have extremely low hp, no matter how you do it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

giving the boss a 50% heal bonus right after I use my s breaks on crit turns is real mean, cold steel 2

it's even meaner when you follow it with a 10% heal turn and a move that heals the boss for 20%

That is when you use Overdrive.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was the second boss my friend

I don't even know what that is

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

that guy is going to heal himself like 4 times no matter what you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was just funny to go from him being nearly dead to full health in the space of like 3 turns