Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'll defend the first, but that second, whoof.

oh yea the first is miles better than the second, I'm just an 'apologist' in the sense that I think it was ok rather than a complete dumpster fire. I think the first was legitimately a very solid Spider-Man origin and unironically liked Garfield for the role.

Though the new guy seems good too, looking forward to Homecoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I actually think the second one is better than the first. Simply because the entire first half is the retelling of Peter's origin that goes on far too long, the you have Uncle Ben's stupid stupid death scene, and the Richard Parker stuff that goes no where. Not that the second one isn't terrible in its own right.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
One of the best things to come from ASM 2 (And the Sony hack) are those studio notes from Kevin Feige, which it looks like they promptly ignored:

quote:

There are too many story lines and we need to choose which ones we are focusing on and lift out the other ones, ie; could reduce father arc to just Roosevelt?

Could cut out plane crash and Richard destroying spiders and start on armored car – don’t start with Spider-Man….let the danger/stakes to NYC build first and then have Spider-Man enter the scene heroically.

Tone down Paul Giamatti performance, so he seems a bit more menacing and less cartoonish.

If you cut Richard from the opening and the plane crash maybe you could instead do Harry coming home and seeing Norman at the top of the movie as a cold open.

Really love Electro – feels like you may not need the scene in his apartment, which makes him seems completely crazy and hard to relate too.

Like the idea that eel goes in his mouth and instead of burrowing, you see it glow within him…

Need to set up the Power Plant earlier, visually.

Seems like the movie switches pov’s a lot…why are we in Max’s pov during the car chase, worth looking at this playing out from Spidey’s pov.

There could be a better way to reveal that Peter is missing graduation – maybe when you cut Gwen you cut to the wide shot?

Tiny note – don’t think Peter would lie to Gwen about sirens --- maybe he just downplays it…

Stan Lee Cameo – maybe need a little more emphasis on Peter here trying to get out of his costume and not be in seen…set up a little more the pressure of the principal getting closer and closer to calling his name.

Instead of seeing the ghost of Captain Stacy, can just here the voice in Peter’s head and maybe flash back to the last movie? Don’t think we should add Cap Stacy back into car chase.

There is too much back and forth with Peter and Gwen – can we recut the Dim Sum scene so that it doesn’t feel so repetitive of their break-up in the last movie – Can Peter be more honorable and definitive and less wishy-washy?

Why do we need a year to pass…

Harry story feels like the main plot of the movie – Peter should look into the past b/c of Harry – maybe find some photos of them together as kids…use obsession wall more to set up this part of his past not just what happened to parents.

Not sure what Peter learns at Roosevelt is entirely correct. We’re distracted by the idea that Peter became Spider-Man b/c of his father’s blood --- all this special back story with his super-scientist dad fights with the idea that Peter is normal kid from Queens who becomes the greatest super-hero in the world…

Andrew’s performance is all over the place…a lot of crying and then a lot of mania. Hard to track him emotionally sometimes. It undermines his reaction to Gwen’s death b/c he gets upset and emotional a lot.

Don’t like the idea that May tells Peter his parents were spies b/c two seconds later he finds out they are not and it again fights with the idea that he’s an ordinary kid.

Like the idea that May finds out he’s Spider-Man – finds his costume instead of just the rosemary harris wink-wink all the time.

Kind of like the morgue, but hate the dancing mortician – cliché.

Are you using VFX to show how Electro is travelling from one point to another (bursts of electricity).

Need to underscore capture of goblin…more sirens as you linger on the clock 1;21, 1:22 am (nice touch).

Surveillance scene should be about following Harry not Peter…no one should be following Peter.

Can Electro hum Itsy-Bitsy Spider before he plays it electronically…maybe we can use this again.

Maybe intercut the ending montage and hearing Gwen’s speech with someone going into special projects and revealing more easter eggs and see that the rhino case has been broke into and the suit is missing…great way to transition to rhino ending.

Don’t need Aunt May in the kitchen.

Spider-man needs to feel more directly responsible for preventing the planes from crashing.

Don’t show New Yorkers looting.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Happy 9/11.
Spider-man needs to feel more directly responsible for preventing the planes from crashing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of crashing planes, the finale prompted me to watch Con Air (to my recollection, the first time I've ever watched it; certainly the first time it's ever been on and I was paying attention)

With a few tall glasses of water it really is a tremendously good movie, as good as Face/Off even. Malkovich is loving incredible ("Welcome to Con Air" and he nails it). Everyone is loving incredible. Even Colm "I swear I dinnae have an accent" Meaney.

e: I love how they find a copy of The Anarchist Cookbook in Cyrus' cell, because gently caress you it's 1997

precision fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 12, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'll be honest. WHen it comes to the glut of Super Hero films, only the Disney/Marvel ones have any interest for me. Their the only ones that have been consistently good.

Also, I keep hearing how the idea of the "Cinematic Universe" Is dead because it's peak has come and gone. The only movie universe that ever worked were the Avenger Movies. Every other attempt at it has been a huge failure because no one else is willing to put in the work Marvel Studios has done in building it up.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

DrVenkman posted:

One of the best things to come from ASM 2 (And the Sony hack) are those studio notes from Kevin Feige, which it looks like they promptly ignored:

"Kevin Feige? What's that guy no about making superhero movies?" - Someone who's probably unemployed right now.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I'm totally with them on the idea of this whole universe of films has gotten pretty ridiculous, and the need for every one of them to be interconnected kind of hurts them due to the need to set up future events and wink at comic fans. Admittedly I still watch all of them because they aren't terrible movies (Marvel, not DC) and we're all pretty invested at this point, it would just be nice though if we could get a modern comic movie that didn't waste time on the origin (every person in the world knows Batman at this point, its straight up filler to show the Waynes' deaths) and had a decent story from start to finish without all the easter eggs and whatnot.

I actually didn't realize ASM2 had that many easter eggs besides the wall of the villain costumes at the end. Hearing Andrew sigh at each one was hilarious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love the last 'don't show new yorkers looting'. Like this last little 'come on guys can you be cool?' on top of all this good fix suggestion.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

precision posted:

Speaking of crashing planes, the finale prompted me to watch Con Air (to my recollection, the first time I've ever watched it; certainly the first time it's ever been on and I was paying attention)

With a few tall glasses of water it really is a tremendously good movie, as good as Face/Off even. Malkovich is loving incredible ("Welcome to Con Air" and he nails it). Everyone is loving incredible. Even Colm "I swear I dinnae have an accent" Meaney.

e: I love how they find a copy of The Anarchist Cookbook in Cyrus' cell, because gently caress you it's 1997

Even without enhancements, I still feel it's a capital G Good movie. At least on the same level as The Rock or Face/Off. In that you need to know what kind of movie you're getting yourself into because it's going to commit 200% and you better be on board for that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They show the Wayne deaths every time because it's recontextualized for each individual Batman. BvS's interpretation was absolutely not filler.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

They show the Wayne deaths every time because it's recontextualized for each individual Batman. BvS's interpretation was absolutely not filler.
It's very explicitly tied into Batman's character development over the course of the movie, but people are too busy grasping at memes to give a gently caress what actually happens in that movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Now I want the Rashomon style version of Wayne parents' death where it turns out that Thomas and Martha are horrible people who were beating up a homeless Joe Chill who asked them for money and, when Thomas pulled a gun to finish him off, Chill fought him and accidentally shot both of them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Now I want the Rashomon style version of Wayne parents' death where it turns out that Thomas and Martha are horrible people who were beating up a homeless Joe Chill who asked them for money and, when Thomas pulled a gun to finish him off, Chill fought him and accidentally shot both of them.

That would certainly punch up Batman's "the world only makes sense if you force it to" line.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BigRed0427 posted:

I'll be honest. WHen it comes to the glut of Super Hero films, only the Disney/Marvel ones have any interest for me. Their the only ones that have been consistently good.

Also, I keep hearing how the idea of the "Cinematic Universe" Is dead because it's peak has come and gone. The only movie universe that ever worked were the Avenger Movies. Every other attempt at it has been a huge failure because no one else is willing to put in the work Marvel Studios has done in building it up.

I don't think it's dead, it's just that Marvel was the only one that lucked into pulling it off.

Marvel started with characters most people knew the name of, but little else. The origin stories are fairly fresh to people who aren't comic book people, most people know how Batman, and Superman came about, and we really don't need them rehashed every 15 years. They also had a semi-self awareness that allowed them to have fun without being a comedy.

On top of that, all of them that I've seen have been fairly self contained. You can drop in and out of them without missing much more than some minor offhanded references. They're essentially perfect for how I always see them, killing time on a Saturday.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Detective No. 27 posted:

People are always saying that they should just do the hero's origin over the opening credits, which is what they did in BvS. The problem is they then showed chunks of the scene two or so more times throughout the movie, and considering the movie is overstuffed as it is, it starts to get old. That and it tied into the "Martha!" bit everybody hates (I like the idea in theory, it was just handled very badly).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the Marvel CU took off because, and bear with me here, the movies in it are actually good (even the exceptions like Thor are not that bad).

Like, I really genuinely enjoyed Suicide Squad, way more than I thought I would, but it doesn't hold a candle to Civil War or even Ant-Man.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The MCU varies from decent blockbusters(Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man) to insulting trash(Winter Soldier, Thor 2)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The MCU varies from decent blockbusters(Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man) to insulting trash(Winter Soldier, Thor 2)

Yeah, the only one on my list of "must see" is definitely GotG2, but I may see Dr. Strange if I have a boring Saturday to fill.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, the only one on my list of "must see" is definitely GotG2, but I may see Dr. Strange if I have a boring Saturday to fill.

Dr. Strange is looking better and better really. I'm hyped.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

:catstare:

I mean I know, different opinions and all that, but drat.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

In my experience the people who reacted really negatively to Winter Soldier were the people who thought that one side of the central conflict re: registration and oversight was obviously and objectively correct and were annoyed that either their side wasn't portrayed well enough or that the other side was portrayed too well or that it wasted too much time on a conflict with such an "obvious" answer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

In my experience the people who reacted really negatively to Winter Soldier were the people who thought that one side of the central conflict re: registration and oversight was obviously and objectively correct and were annoyed that either their side wasn't portrayed well enough or that the other side was portrayed too well or that it wasted too much time on a conflict with such an "obvious" answer.

Are you talking about Civil War and not Winter Soldier?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

precision posted:

Dr. Strange is looking better and better really. I'm hyped.

It's not ASM2 levels of incompetent but this scene sums up what's wrong with it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E486XjhYHh8

You have a Nazi scientist preserved in tape decks in a US bunker which is a creepy and cool image, and then he exposits some of the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard. The occasional flashes of a decent conspiracy film are all instantly choked by comic book bullshit and what sounds like a suburban 12 year old's summary of the problems with the war on terror. And not a very smart 12 year old either. So very, very clunky, hamhanded, and monotonous. Especially because someone, somewhere, made the call that all blockbusters have to be over two hours now for some goddamn reason.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, as savvy as the WHM guys are, I'm surprised they didn't cotton on to two things in the Con Air episode:

- The "flamboyant" character. Yes, he's a cliche to such a degree that I legitimately didn't realize he was a man until the scene with the dress. But key here is that at no point is he dogged on for his proclivities. When he slow-mo runs into the camp with the dress on, he's greeted by unironic catcalls and the film itself is telling us "this person is attractive, and it doesn't matter what their gender is". For 1997 that's pretty good.

- Steve Buscemi's field trip. It seemed obvious to the point of ham-handed that this was meant to show that Green is aware he is a monster, not happy about it, and delighted to find someone that treats him as a normal human being (even if he knows he isn't). He gets the innocent acceptance he has always secretly craved, so he keeps the Ken doll (a reminder that even he can be "normal" sometimes) and very clearly doesn't kill her. The shot of her waving goodbye wasn't a pickup, it was a stinger - "You people watching this movie, you think this smart analytical nerd is the worst monster on this plane, well guess what? He's not." This is all foreshadowed and enhanced by his early scenes - the first time he talks, he psychoanalyzes (probably correctly) another Con, and Cage and Bubba's reaction is "That guy must be hosed up", because intelligence is bad. This is a Hollywood blockbuster full of the most broad cliches imaginable, so of course the one "nerdy intellectual" is presented as the "ultimate monster".

Not only all that, but the film seems to actually endorse "politically correct" values, rather than celebrating redneck awfulness. I mean this is the whole key to Cage's character, who is the most redneck thing on film but still knows you don't rape women, you don't kill innocents, and you walk it like you talk it.

I'm this close to making a scene-by-scene watchthrough thread for this movie. It's just got so much going on.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

They didn't even bring up the scene where the marshals are checking Cyrus' cell and John Cusack dodges a hilarious CG door being exploded at him

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I tweeted them about this but I really loving hope they eventually release audio of Suburban Commando. I've called it in for LRM at least once and I can't justify ~$25 for one podcast episode that'll only be available for 30 days. :smith:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I listened to the ASM2 episode and I swear there was a point where Andrew called him "Jamie Lee Foxx."

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

This is one of my favorite recent podcasts and I've been plowing through the back catalog.

However I really don't like how in the newer episodes it takes FOREVER to get to the actual meat of the podcasts. They got that long rear end intro song, then they plug an upcoming gig or special. I get why they do it, but it's like 6 or 7 minutes of intro the last few episodes.

What's your guys favorite episodes? The Ms Doubtfire episode is what got me hooked, and the rerun of silver bullet reminded me of one of my favorite lines

"Cripple this, cripple that, up on cripple creek"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheDon01 posted:

However I really don't like how in the newer episodes it takes FOREVER to get to the actual meat of the podcasts. They got that long rear end intro song, then they plug an upcoming gig or special. I get why they do it, but it's like 6 or 7 minutes of intro the last few episodes.

What's your guys favorite episodes? The Ms Doubtfire episode is what got me hooked, and the rerun of silver bullet reminded me of one of my favorite lines

"Cripple this, cripple that, up on cripple creek"

If I had a gun to my head and couldn't fast forward to the intro music, I'd be grumpy about it, but it's trivial to skip ahead regardless of what platform you're using to listen to it.

Favorite episode now is probably Seventh Son, if only for the constant goofy exclamations of, "He built it outta scraps! In a cave!"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I got the 8. I love their star trek impressions. Is there an easy way to move episodes from Patreon to my podcasts app? I don't want to have to download mp3s and put them in the music app like it's pioneer times or something.

Patreon just implemented patron-specific RSS feeds so hopefully the WHM crew can get that working.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If their promos were boilerplate it'd be one thing but you get some good gags out of them. I think Sadjak being killed by Jack Ruby was born from one and it's one of my hardest laughs.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm partial to the discussion on neckbeards becoming "Neck! Where are you!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

weekly font posted:

If their promos were boilerplate it'd be one thing but you get some good gags out of them. I think Sadjak being killed by Jack Ruby was born from one and it's one of my hardest laughs.

Which episode was this? I've gotta hear it.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

weekly font posted:

Some of their Harry's ads have gotten stale but on the whole their intros are pretty solid. One step down from the genius that is Bill Burr's "Club W" reads.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gonz posted:

Which episode was this? I've gotta hear it.

Sabotage.

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

Just listened to the Substitute 2 episode. Was anyone else disappointed that they referred to Guru as a middling rapper and didn't seem to realize that he died a few years ago?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

JackBobby posted:

Just listened to the Substitute 2 episode. Was anyone else disappointed that they referred to Guru as a middling rapper and didn't seem to realize that he died a few years ago?

Wait, so the "Don't worry about X" curse works posthumously?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

JackBobby posted:

I didn't, mainly because I have no idea who Guru is, and my Googling finger doesn't need the workout right now.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

JackBobby posted:

You gotta give them credit for even knowing who guru is considering they are the whitest men in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

JT Smiley posted:

You gotta give them credit for even knowing who guru is considering they are the whitest men in America.

Not too much credit, as Gangstarr is from Brooklyn.