Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

vodkat posted:

someone investigate to see if fedora lounge is are thing tia

its a forum apparently

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
"Swag is for boys, class is for men." - Someone wearing a tribly and cargo shorts

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
ye olde speak greasy

Tricky D posted:

"Swag is for boys, class is for men." - Someone wearing a tribly and cargo shorts

dark souls/anime pro shirt

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
By putting on a hat, my 5'5", 200 lb rear end can consider itself peers with Brad Pitt and Justin Timberlake.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/

some nice leather jackets though.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Who stole that man's rear end and what did they do with it?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

From a previous AUG thread:

zoux posted:

So many of these dudes act like they are in some sort of masculinity cargo cult, where they sort of recognize the traditional signifiers of manhood but are unable to fully grasp or comprehend them so basically the strut around on a fake airstrip with bamboo fedoras hoping that one day Don Draper will be drawn back to their remote island and bestow upon them the secret of sex moves.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

that said I've know lots of men who could pull of hats and even fedoras, it is possible.

they just tended to be gay or model for burberry. fyi you just need to be fashionable enough to wear whatever the gently caress you want, something that neckbeards tend to get very confused about

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
yeah I think just being conscious of what you're actually planning on looking like can go a long way. Not just throwing together whatever crap you like to wear or have around, but stuff that actually has the potential to look good together or look good on you.

almost nothing is going to look with with just ill-fitting jeans and athletic shoes/sock+sandal

darkhand fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 12, 2016

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Wrong

The real answer is that muscles are the single greatest fashion accessory a man can equip

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

darkhand posted:

yeah I think just being conscious of what you're actually planning on looking like can go a long way. Not just throwing together whatever crap you like to wear or have around, but stuff that actually has the potential to look good together or look good on you.

almost nothing is going to look with with just ill-fitting jeans and athletic shoes/sock+sandal

yea there is a grand canyon of difference between the fashionable; how do all these items of clothing fit together and how do they fit into the social situation I'm going to be in and the neckbeards; this item is a signifier of x value, if i wear a leather jacket/fedora/sunglasses then I will also look the same as x cultural icon that also wore that and therefore be a badass man.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
im dying

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

poisonpill posted:

The real answer is that muscles are the single greatest fashion accessory a man can equip

No fashion accessory can help if you lack the right set of clavicles.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

poisonpill posted:

Wrong

If u buy these u can fit into any clothing and make it look good :)

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Just get a briefcase drat.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Tactical fanny pack. It just doesn't get any more badass than that.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Just want to say that this thread is a wild ride from start to finish.

Never stop GBS

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm going to go out on a limb and say a weather appropriate wide-brimmed hat is fine to wear outdoors. Even a fedora a loving cowboy hat, if it a proper one able to shade you from the sun and protect you from the rain, go ahead and wear it outside. Even horrible nerds don't deserve skin cancer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

http://www.thefedoranerd.com/hurt-by-a-fake-youtube-nerd/

quote:

HURT BY A FAKE YOUTUBE NERD.
Posted on March 1, 2013 by The Fedora Nerd
I would say I am an avid watcher of YouTube, and I have a few vlogs that I watch every day. I am a big fan of Philip DeFranco, and a while back, he did a video showing other YouTube channels, he likes to watch one of them was a channel called “sexy nerd girl”. I checked her out, and I ended up subscribing and watching her videos. She seemed like a nerdy girl just living her life and showing the nerd culture some love. She is even one of the reasons I wanted to get into doing vlogs and videos. It was only until yesterday that I found out that the woman I thought was Valerie Lapomme is actually an actress named Stephanie Kaliner.

So I come to find that all the opinions, jokes, life events, jobs, hobbies and just about everything I saw on her YouTube channel was scripted by a whole team of writers. After more research, I found that it was said on her website and other places that Val was a character, but from just watching the videos that was never made clear until yesterday. To be honest, I was quite crestfallen, there are many reasons I feel deceived and a little betrayed.

One of the things I love about vlogs is that they are a way to share yourself with the world; it allows you to share the lenses you look at the world through. You get attached to these people, and you feel for them when they go through rough stuff. When you come to find out that the person, you became attached to being a fake it oddly hurts.

The best thing I can compare this too is if a friend you grew to know and really like as a friend told you one day that everything they told you was made up and they scripted large pieces of their interactions with you. You would feel angry, betrayed and very mad at that person and fists might even fly. This is what I feel like people who pretend to be someone else online, and then they pull off the mask.

The second reason I am upset is that I feel like she is banking on the nerd culture for views. Lately, nerd culture is becoming more and more mainstream, and nerds are slowly crawling out of basements and comic book shops into the light. When you put on a mask and pretend to be one of us, there will always be a backlash when the truth comes out. Nerd culture to me can be akin to race where you feel close to others in your group just by the very nature that they are like you. People no longer use “black face” to pretend to be black, but it seems like “Nerd face” is now becoming popular and I find it offensive.

A pretty girl saying she is a nerd and peddling these written lines and this written life is I feel wrong and hurtful. She prays on the men, women, and nerd culture to gain popularity when never fully embracing the things she says or does. I just hope the people I choose to watch are more genuine than fake Val turned out to be.

In a world of fakes we don’t need any more than we already have.

The Fedora Nerd – Ben Crawford

P.S. For anyone who was offended by the “black face” reference, i am sorry. The comment was just a comparison and the two are not equal at all. This rant was made when i was upset and is partly just a stupid thing I did when I was bored and upset. It can be taken as satire or the musings of some stupid fat nerd you can take your pick.

the comments are pretty good too imo

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Internet - there is always more and it is always worse.

I dont know where to start. It's been said a million times already but as soon as the piedestal these guys put some random woman on gets tarnished by whatever they feel absolutely gutted. Im sure sexy nerd girl loves fedora guy #450608 of 300 000 000 viewers or whatever. Get out of the drat house goddamnit.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

I used to wear a pimped out fanny pack by Maxpedition around my shoulders. I am actually quite proud of it since I built it piece by piece and it is my own design. However it makes too strong of an impression when I am walking down the street. Especially in Tijuana where I spend half my time.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Dress to please yourself, but don't go thinking that a hat is a cloak of invisibility for the rest of your repulsive, squalid form you toad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pvt.Scott posted:

Hey Pick, I'm an rear end in a top hat and I'll probably break your heart. We should date.

Did you just ask me out on 9/11

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

Is your home the Pentagon? Cuz I'd like to crash there today.

naem
May 29, 2011

mrwuss posted:

I used to wear a pimped out fanny pack by Maxpedition around my shoulders. I am actually quite proud of it since I built it piece by piece and it is my own design. However it makes too strong of an impression when I am walking down the street. Especially in Tijuana where I spend half my time.

I wear a backpack to and from work because I bike or take the train half the time, parking is impossible here.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Your post is the jet fuel that melted the steel beams of my heart.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

You'll never be able to forget our time together.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pvt.Scott posted:

You'll never be able to forget our time together.

Jihad me at "hey".

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

given that he doesn't mention "car keys" or that you can just stow all this stupid poo poo in your car i'm liking the idea of this kid lighting a fresh cigar after community college and waiting for mom to pick him up

ah gently caress i just resized the image and that's his shirtless hairy gut in the background

e: gently caress

fedora lounge posted:

Where I lived in East London is a hospital that deals solely with mental health issues. It's often been said that those with less grey matter, make up for it with trouser furniture.
One incredibly, bitter cold January, Tina & I were off out to some gala or other, our route took us past that hospital. Walking along the sidewalk, in our opposite direction, was a patient from that hospital. I knew he was a patient, for despite the cold, all he wore was his shoes. Everything else was neatly folded over his arm. And that trouser furniture, cold or no cold, it was enormous. I looked at Tina: "Yes you did see a naked man," she chuckled, adding, "hung like a donkey." "You forgot the sigh, dear," I quipped, "I don't know," she added with a note of concern, "if I want my eyes to water, I'll see an optician."

RNG fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 12, 2016

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The whole making fun of fedoras thing came from the fact that dumb people thought they're a shortcut to classy, mostly on fictional character cues.

Any formal hat can look quite nice if the whole loving outfit was arranged to fit together. But not "this hat will make me Indiana Jones"

Anyone with enough fashion sense to know that isn't going to obsess over one item enough to be offended by the above mockery. Which means you can safely say anyone actively defending wearing a fedora on the internet is exactly the kind of person who made it happen in the first place.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

You should see all of the abusive PMs I'm throwing at Pick right now for not getting back to me in less than five minutes. Let's just say I broke out the thesaurus. Ladies love an educated man.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Gotta carry my cigars (and cutter, what kind of man doesn't have a cutter?) with me everywhere even though I'm not allowed to smoke them anywhere.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lmao r/incels went private because too many normies were laughing at them I guess.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pvt.Scott posted:

You should see all of the abusive PMs I'm throwing at Pick right now for not getting back to me in less than five minutes. Let's just say I broke out the thesaurus. Ladies love an educated man.

How many synonyms for the word sloot do you use per paragraph?

Tricky D posted:

Gotta carry my cigars (and cutter, what kind of man doesn't have a cutter?) with me everywhere even though I'm not allowed to smoke them anywhere.

Said cigars were purchased at the local cvs pharmacy of course!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Easier to be hatin on the world than to be hatin on yourself

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

vodkat posted:

that said I've know lots of men who could pull of hats and even fedoras, it is possible.

they just tended to be gay or model for burberry. fyi you just need to be fashionable enough to wear whatever the gently caress you want, something that neckbeards tend to get very confused about

And some fashions simply cannot be worn by the young.

I saved this images ages ago, just to illustrate this point. It was tagged "Janne 51 from Helsinki - Hel-looks.com".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That man lives in a storybook that eats children and I won't hear a word to the contrary

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm pretty sure he extracts the dreams of naughty children with his syringe-umbrella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And none of us will ever look even half as dapper.

• Locked thread