Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Soricidus posted:

-- someone who isn't familiar with ieee 754

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

RHEL in the streets.
Fedora in the sheets.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And even after you get your six month old snapshot, you have to account for volunteer maintainers from Debian who disappear for three years at a stretch but don't orphan their packages so someone else can take over without stepping on toes.

This is one of several that I've had to work around as someone who distributes a Debian-based internal developer image:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=731634

(Ubuntu ships the old version too)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I successfully convinced my office to rebuild its few Ubuntu machines into centos

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

I successfully convinced my office to rebuild its few Ubuntu machines into centos

Good. Hopefully it's CentOS7 with SELinux enabled.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
centos is good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tbf how many centos machines out there in the wild run without the epl repository

because that's kind of the same deal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

Good. Hopefully it's CentOS7 with SELinux enabled.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

tbf how many centos machines out there in the wild run without the epl repository

because that's kind of the same deal

1. epel is not that bad -- it's versioned and has very specific maintenance standards. no, it's not supported by the vendor, but it's a far cry from the horrors of universe or multiverse. it's not a giant bleeding gash of security holes.

2. most users don't need epel for anything. all the things i listed that cannot be done with the set of supported ubuntu packages can be done with RHEL + Red Hat Software Collections. (yes, RH SCL has a shorter support cycle than RHEL itself, but it's fully supported)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
apparently HHVM was in EPEL for CentOS 6 but it's not for CentOS 7 so I'd have to install it manually

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i just saved your post for future reference

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah rhel is extremely ftw

and i do keep selinux enabled on all my centos boxes

still, i should definitely take the time to learn selinux in depth at some point beyond my current knowledge of "all processes have process types, all files have file types, and there's a central root-owned policy database exhaustively listing what subset of interactions between the cartesian product of all process types and file types are not forbidden"

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

get a real job, i guess?

centos/rhel dominates the united states and much of the rest of the world

sles owns europe

ubuntu is an also-ran that attracts a few weird startups and that's it

Oh yeah I meant outside of the business world. The people I know who run LOTD (or LOTL) mostly run Ubuntu.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Also I too have that post bookmarked to try to convince people to use a different distro, but no one ever listens to me =(

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

VikingofRock posted:

Oh yeah I meant outside of the business world. The people I know who run LOTD (or LOTL) mostly run Ubuntu.

My laptop runs Fedora 23

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VikingofRock posted:

those people are dumb too

they should migrate to fedora or upstream debian where the support policies are less insane

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
posters sure are getting mad about distros itt

meanwhile im still running arch on my macbook air with i3 and zsh :shrug:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

My home desktop runs arch with zsh, KDE, and an anime wallpaper (it rotates through this pack). I'm pretty happy with it even if I am a walking stereotype.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

VikingofRock posted:

My home desktop runs arch with zsh, KDE, and an anime wallpaper (it rotates through this pack). I'm pretty happy with it even if I am a walking stereotype.

pro wallpaper pack

also arch is good but i guess fedora is probably decent too these days. the name is kind of unfortunate though.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thanks. I'm pretty seriously considering Fedora for my next desktop distro. I really like pacman, and how extremely bleeding edge arch is, but SELinux seems pretty neato too.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i bought this laptop in november 2014 and it has been running one install of arch continuously since then, i see no reason that has to change any time soon. i have a few minor annoyances with arch but on balance it's teh best distro for desktoping with.

my old desktop pc ran one installation of windows 7 from 2010 until 2015 when its power supply kamikazed half of the components in the system

man remember back when reinstalling you're os was a thing that regularly happened? crazy times eh lads

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if arch is working for you i guess keep doing what works? it doesn't have to be complicated

my Strong Distro Opinions are largely limited to "friends don't let friends use ubuntu"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
arch has a very nice wiki

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also i vote keep using arch until it pisses you off by breaking something. no reason to switch before that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fedora is good.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

the arch wiki seriously owns. I don't use arch, but that wiki helped me a couple of times.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I flattened my VPS and reinstalled CentOS only to discover that someone marked libresolv as "retired" in EPEL so DNF no longer works

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

there's apparently no reason for the missing library; it's been like that for months and someone offered money to fix it in a bug report

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

why is your libresolv coming from EPEL?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

spankmeister posted:

why is your libresolv coming from EPEL?

well, it's not

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

if i understood it correctly dnf requires a newer version which was in epel and isn't anymore. idgi

anyway i'm using yum and compiling hhvm so i can make my lovely website webscale

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that shouldn't happen at all libresolv + dnf should be coming from base.

i can imagine epel having libresolv in the past, before rhel switched to dnf and now it comes in the base packages so they removed it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

oh yum is still default on 7, just use that

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

spankmeister posted:

oh yum is still default on 7, just use that

it's slow, and bad.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i have very strong opinion on package managers

they're all far better than the lovely alternative i have to deal with on windows

also, i use ubanto on my laptop because it's the only distro that just works with it, including sound!!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ubadtu

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

Thanks. I'm pretty seriously considering Fedora for my next desktop distro. I really like pacman, and how extremely bleeding edge arch is, but SELinux seems pretty neato too.

unironically switch to gentoo. you can have all the selinux you could ever want, and also have the same bleeding edge stuff as arch has. just remember to install it with systemd, not openrc.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Truga posted:

i have very strong opinion on package managers

they're all far better than the lovely alternative i have to deal with on windows

also, i use ubanto on my laptop because it's the only distro that just works with it, including sound!!!

what's wrong with the windows store? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Arch not only disables SELinux by default they disable it from the kernel build itself.