Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i haven't had much time to surf and post but i have had time to watch a few episodes and i reached season 4 episode 3, and sangmin hiding under the table was EPIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Artelier posted:

i haven't had much time to surf and post but i have had time to watch a few episodes and i reached season 4 episode 3, and sangmin hiding under the table was EPIC.

Genius Game 5 when!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

the rest of the episode is good too, assuming that's the one where kyoon becomes worthwhile

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
TITTY GOD has one of the best arcs in all of the Genius, really.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That episode is maximum chaos.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

S4E3 deathmatch

goddamn kyunghoon, played that masterfully, and even saw the tricks/betrayals coming, and his acting was on point too wow

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Artelier posted:

S4E3 deathmatch

goddamn kyunghoon, played that masterfully, and even saw the tricks/betrayals coming, and his acting was on point too wow

Betting RPS is such a great game where the rest of the players have some but not too much influence. And if you know everyone, even Kyungran the Paragon Of Justice hates you amd will lie it's as good as getting truthful answers. But since it's Kyunghoon it may have been random, him choosing scissors was kind of risky given the situation. Against her stated choice of Paper the safer bet would have been Rock which would have won him the game if she told the truth and if it was the obvious false choice. For Sangmin to have been given Rock while writing down Paper would be a totally crazy move where Sangmin wrote the move that defeated the actual one.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
To be fair, Kyungran was being awfully suspiciously dodgy in the way she answered him when he asked for her throw. And TittyGod I think knew that Kyungran wanted to help Sangmin and failed to do so earlier.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So who here is going to the idiotape show in London? Goon meetup?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Kyungran is really bad at pulling off double crosses or playing the traitor in games, it's her one major weakness as a player.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

sharktamer posted:

I want to but its the worst timing. I cant get time off work so would have to get the 11:30 train out of liverpool street so im not sure if i can feasably do it

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Also i'd have to get an ~ 2 hour train ride down after work to get there

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So this has been a while coming, but here are my thoughts on Season 3. Overall, a good season, but not as good as Season 1.

It was refreshing to see many players grasp games quicker than their predecessors, with Hyunmin of course taking the charge in that department. He's great at mechanics, and also good at figuring out what an ideal win would be; ideal normally being, "Me and all my teammates can win and gain a lot of garnets so long as we exclude (screw over) ____."

Then there were Dongmin and Yuhyoon, who both were good at figuring out the games, but not close to the precision that Hyunmin had. Dongmin still had being absurdly broken in all round stats to go for him, but poor Yuhyoon only had a game sense that couldn't match Hyunmin's.

A dark horse rose for me in the form of Yungseong. He had the best hair multiple times over. While he was only average, maybe above average, in figuring out games, he held on with a never give up and take everything in stride attitude which I grew to love, particularly after getting screwed over by the Middle Race. It was so, so sweet to see him have his revenge in Middle Race 2. Favourite single moment of Season 3 by far. Revenge was so sweet.

The rest of the players had their moments here and there, with Ahyoung being the brightest. She was not a good player at all but she's so enthusiastic! Brought a charm to the whole season.

While I like how the Dongmin + Hyungmin alliance brought about a great narrative for the ending, it meant that most games after the alliance was formalised was lopsided. Either they steamrolled everyone, or everyone else managed to lock them out.

As for my favourite characters in the season overall, it's Dongmin. A bit bullheaded, but he always took responsibility if it was his decision-making that messed things up, and he knew not just how to play games but also how to forge allies. Also he was hammy as gently caress and that's always fun to see. CHIGUYA!

Season 3 final episode was amazing, starting from the montage of how they got to the finals, the impressions, everything.

A good season.

Am halfway through 4 now which is also high quality and I still can't get over how awesome Kyunghoon is now. Almost the entire cast turned out great but I'm not feeling Jungmoon though; she's not that bad a player or anything but her survive at all costs mentality makes her a bit sad considering she's outlasted half the all-star cast. It felt especially bad in the episode where she, Kyungran and Yuhyoon were traitors. She got caught and her strategy was appeal to Dongmin's loyalty to deals made (which worked because Dongmin is baller like that) but also just beg constantly, forever and ever and ever and ever and ever. It's almost like the production team wanted to show her in a bad light, I dunno.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Artelier I actually think that spy game was very poorly designed as well. There was zero incentive for a non spy to flip in that game so natural alliances have no way of working, and one spy just giving up and selling the other two down the river becomes a viable strategy, which isn't very exciting. But Jungmoon is a big part of that not working.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Season 4 Episode 10 has the funniest instance of EXTREME WAYS. Twice!

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

sharktamer posted:

I'd be tempted if I wasn't closer to Korea rn than London.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich
Edit: wrong forum.

Wolf Pussy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 20, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was doing an early mission where you raise an old array station and along the way two level 40 players showed up and triggered some event I guess because ten million Hive popped up with tonnes of named wizards and knights and it was utter chaos. I had a great time of it to be honest.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I finished it. All of it. And I read the entire thread over the weekend to compare thoughts.

Bigger writeup later, but in short, the right man won. As routine as it can be, Dongmin just proved he was so good at almost everything (except Monorail) that his utter Dongminance was deserved. Kyunghoon was a great player in the latter half of the season, and he definitely had the most compelling story, but Dongmin...man. I just can't get over his ability to read people.

* Hyunmin talks to him about a plan
Dongmin Interview: ...I think Hyunmin's gonna betray me, got to account for that.

Emmy you finished yet? I'm moving onto Crime Scene myself.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Are we all hype for society game.... Which I still have no clue what it is.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

PBS Newshour posted:

Are we all hype for society game.... Which I still have no clue what it is.

Survivor with no physical challenges or starvation?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The new posters implied there are two types of societies facing off against each other, a chaotic free for all, so I guess democracy, and a uniformed controlled one, some sort of authoritative system.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My hope is its the two societies are facing off in games based off of stuff similar to megagames like watch the skies.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

The new posters implied there are two types of societies facing off against each other, a chaotic free for all, so I guess democracy, and a uniformed controlled one, some sort of authoritative system.

So it's the korean version of twitch plays pokemon.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ooh. I could totally get into a game like that. Competition between asymmetrical teams sounds fascinating. With a hilarity bonus if the despot-themed team wins, and some people take the thing too seriously and act like this 'proves' authoritarianism is correct.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 21, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

So one team is going to be north of the 38th parallel?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Ditocoaf posted:

Ooh. I could totally get into a game like that. Competition between asymmetrical teams sounds fascinating. With a hilarity bonus if the despot-themed team wins, and some people take the thing too seriously and act like this 'proves' authoritarianism is correct.

Especially if they cast as good as they did for the The Genius.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I basically want the model in episode of community and the parks and recs episode where they are going through disaster scenarios for pawnee but as a reality game show

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Info about the people involved is on bumdis twitter. I have no idea who they are.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Tunicate posted:

So it's the korean version of twitch plays pokemon.

Apparently it's south (democracy) vs north (one strong leader)

In what is still unclear tho

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Little_wh0re posted:

Info about the people involved is on bumdis twitter. I have no idea who they are.

Yeah me either, but I like the descriptions!

edit- Kim Gura of the modeling world!

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah

Little_wh0re posted:

south (democracy) vs north (one strong leader)

Sounds familiar.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Baron La Croix posted:

Sounds familiar.

This sounds very uh... Edgy for south korean standards, I have the impression that North Korea is a huge taboo there.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I haven't seen The Genius in a while, but I backed the Kickstarter to get the Black and White and Monorail card games and I might actually get to use them this weekend.

I like the monorail because it has extra/alternate cards to unbreak the game (thanks, titty god!) but black and white is unchanged from the original and honestly what I'm looking forward to.

Does anybody recall and/or know basic amateur hour strategies?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

This sounds very uh... Edgy for south korean standards, I have the impression that North Korea is a huge taboo there.

It's only edgy if the North wins, no problems if the South crushes the north all the time.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

That's a good question for this. Is the show going to be more about proving a point or what? It's a weird place to be - if they stack the deck against the North then its unfair, on the other hand you don't want to normalize/aggrandize despotism. I'll give it a chance, but I have some reservations.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Propaganda Machine posted:

I haven't seen The Genius in a while, but I backed the Kickstarter to get the Black and White and Monorail card games and I might actually get to use them this weekend.

I like the monorail because it has extra/alternate cards to unbreak the game (thanks, titty god!) but black and white is unchanged from the original and honestly what I'm looking forward to.

Does anybody recall and/or know basic amateur hour strategies?

Kyunghoon's monorail strategy is a losing one so you don't have to worry about that. Check my post history in this thread if you want the move to beat his move and also an actual winning player 1 strategy. I'm interested to know what the alternate cards are though? I guess thats how they got around the fact that monorail is already an existing board game who's name I've forgotten.

I think the best way to try to "unbreak" monorail is to start with one tile randomly placed so its less likely a player can use a planned winning player 1 strategy, instead having to solve it on the fly.

Black & White I remain unconvinced that its possible to win at a greater rate than chance without meta-game strategies.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The most sure win monorail method is perfect confidence imho.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
https://twitter.com/bumdidlyump/status/779051247206662144

ride or die Kwon Asol imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Comrade Gorbash posted:

That's a good question for this. Is the show going to be more about proving a point or what? It's a weird place to be - if they stack the deck against the North then its unfair, on the other hand you don't want to normalize/aggrandize despotism. I'll give it a chance, but I have some reservations.

I don't think it will be as big a deal as all that as nobody cares all that much about NK. Now if the countries were based on Korea and Japan on the other hand...