Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ehnus posted:

So, I'm not sure if this is considered aeronautical insanity but hydrofoil chat led led me to find that Go 3 racing started campaigning a twin turbo Allison V-1710 boat last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllSvTxsq1A

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/cant-get-enough-twin-turbo-allison-v12-hydroplane/

Surprises me that anyone is still trying to compete with non-turbine powerplants in unlimited class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

[error: file not found]

it works on at least two levels

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Sagebrush posted:

I think the joke is that we need a photo where one is actively lawn‐darting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sagebrush posted:

Somehow I can see Yeager saying "yeayh, ah'll fly'er...anyone gotta stick'uh Beemans?"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJtTYzUIwBQ

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The coolest thing about the Schneider Cup probably isn't even the planes but the actual trophy, which is roughly house-sized

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Platystemon posted:

so basically any photo of an F-104, just title it "30 seconds later"

No disrespect to the Luftwaffe pilots flying them, either.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 12, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

“If you want your own F‐104, just purchase real estate in West Germany.”

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Platystemon posted:

“If you want your own F‐104, just purchase real estate in West Germany.”

Just remember to avoid the common mistake of not buying real estate with a runway.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sagebrush posted:

Lifting surfaces are for pussies.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It turns out there's plenty of thrust in Christendom if you keep your weight low.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

New debries have been found from MH370. They were found by an American dude who's working the streets (well, beaches) of the MH370 disappearance.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Really? Well, you know it's really starting to look like that plane just might have crashed and disintegrated. Just a little theory I'm working on.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nice piece of fish posted:

Really? Well, you know it's really starting to look like that plane just might have crashed and disintegrated. Just a little theory I'm working on.

Yeah but it crashed because the CIA and the FSB both were attempting to remotely hijack it, and it disintegrated because of a mini black hole (created by aliens). :tinfoil:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Re: Boats

Propriding only gets you so far, eventually you just say gently caress it and stick a jet engine in the thing.

Also, this quote from the wiki article on the water speed record is pretty great;

quote:

With an approximate fatality rate of 85% since 1940,[1][2] the record is one of the sporting world's most hazardous competitions.

quote:

Spirit of Australia is a wooden speed boat built in a Sydney backyard, by Ken Warby, that broke and set the world water speed record on 8 October 1978.[1][2][3]

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 12, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Re: Boats

Propriding only gets you so far, eventually you just say gently caress it and stick a jet engine in the thing.

The jet engine in boats is driving a prop!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Locator posted:

The jet engine in boats is driving a prop!

This. Jet boats are turbo shafts driving very, very exotic props.

Also, the most amazing thing about Ken Warby is that he was able to make those runs in such a small boat without his ENORMOUS SOLID DEPLETED-URANIUM BALLS sinking it before he even fired the engine.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
taking my weekly STT-STX run

Seaborne Airlines has banned anyone from flying with a Galaxy Note 7 in either checked or handcarry luggage

lol Samsung'ed

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
They were doing announcements at the gate saying to turn off your Galaxy Note 7 and do not charge it when I flew this weekend.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lightbulb Out posted:

They were doing announcements at the gate saying to turn off your Galaxy Note 7 and do not charge it when I flew this weekend.

Yeah, I figure no one wants an exploding battery during the flight.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, I figure no one wants an exploding battery during the flight.

When it happens it'll probably be on a 737 and likely Malaysia Air.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Plinkey posted:

When it happens it'll probably be on a 737 and likely Malaysia Air.

:boom:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Boat Planes? Close enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4D6GxkPMgs

At least the poop gets washed away.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Boeing just rolled out their Saab-built T-X advanced trainer competition entrant. I was hoping they'd just enter the Gripen, but this is a rather samey-looking new build.

http://www.boeing.com/defense/t-x

Not bad, I won't mind if they build a couple thousand of them in town.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Would they return to the carrier for a airframe/systems check, or continue on their merry way?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Going to school is fun!

My Finance Textbook posted:

Imagine you are the treasurer of the Solar Electronics Corporation (SEC), and the engineering group has recently developed the technology for solar-powered jet engines.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

What the hell is that dark green thing in the background, behind the A380?

(From what I can barely decipher it of the writing on it, it might just be a simulator, which would be a disappointingly sane answer.)

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Cat Mattress posted:

(From what I can barely decipher it of the writing on it, it might just be a simulator, which would be a disappointingly sane answer.)

I'm betting it's a firefighting simulator.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shampoo posted:

Yup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvj7pwPzzBU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Mortabis posted:

I'm sorry, I meant keep your mouth shut if you're in Saudi Arabia so you don't get beheaded.

I didn't mean don't insult Saudi Arabia when you're not there. I am not remotely offended by people saying Saudi Arabia sucks :v:

I don't think I've done either. About the only thing I've defended about Dick Cheney on here that I can remember was cancelling the A-12.

No, you've done both. Your level of idiocy is difficult to forget.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Shampoo posted:

I only know this because of Grand Theft Auto.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Slo-Tek posted:

Boeing just rolled out their Saab-built T-X advanced trainer competition entrant. I was hoping they'd just enter the Gripen, but this is a rather samey-looking new build.

Oooh. I hope the Navy starts looking at them. I'll be better prepared for pictures than I was when a Skorpion was in town.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Slo-Tek posted:

Hey that's not bad

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This came to my attention here at work today:

And my favourite pic from this sequence:

And in other aviation safety news, the Auto-GCAS system the USAF is installing in their fighters has saved a pilot for what appears to be the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkZGL7RQBVw

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

And in other aviation safety news, the Auto-GCAS system the USAF is installing in their fighters has saved a pilot for what appears to be the first time:

How long does it take to regain consciousness after GLOC?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's almost immediate. Takes a couple of seconds to figure out where the gently caress you are.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

MrChips posted:

That plane was carrying 14 tons of fuel as cargo. Talk about lucky.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrChips posted:

That's awesome. Was curious about how hard the computer pulls, found the answer here:

http://aviationweek.com/technology/auto-gcas-saves-unconscious-f-16-pilot-declassified-usaf-footage

quote:

Auto-GCAS continuously compares a prediction of the aircraft’s trajectory against a terrain profile generated from onboard terrain elevation data. If the predicted trajectory touches the terrain profile, which is indicated at the 26 sec. mark on the video at the moment when the two chevrons on the HUD come together, the automatic recovery is executed by the Auto GCAS autopilot. The automatic recovery maneuver consists of an abrupt roll-to-upright and a nominal 5-G pull until terrain clearance is assured.

In this instance, an international F-16 student pilot was undergoing basic fighter maneuver training with his USAF instructor pilot in two separate F-16s over the U.S. southwest. The student rolled and started to pull the aircraft but experienced G-induced loss of consciousness (G-LOC) as the F-16 hit around 8.3g. With the pilot now unconscious, the aircraft’s nose dropped and, from an altitude of just over 17,000 ft., entered a steepening dive in full afterburner.

After only 22 sec., the F-16 was nose-down almost 50 deg. below the horizon and going supersonic. The shocked instructor called “2 recover!” as the student passed 12,320 ft. at 587 kt. Two seconds later, with the nose down in a 55-deg. dive, altitude at 10,800 ft. and speed passing 613 kt., the worried instructor again calls “2 recover!” In a little less than another 2 sec., as the now frantic instructor makes a third call for the student pilot to pull up, the Auto-GCAS executes a recovery maneuver at 8,760 ft. and 652 kt.

The student pilot at this point comes around and pulls back on the stick, momentarily increasing Gs beyond the Auto-GCAS standard recovery level of 5 to 9.1. Minimum altitude by now is around 4,370 ft., with as little as 2,940 ft. indicated on the radar altimeter. From loss-of-control to recovery takes just under 30 sec.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Final determination on DL1086 that ran off the runway at LGA last year:

NTSB posted:

The NTSB investigation found that the probable cause of the accident – in which 29 of 127 passengers suffered minor injuries – was the captain’s inability to maintain directional control of the Boeing MD -88 due to his application of excessive reverse thrust, which degraded the effectiveness of the rudder in controlling the airplane heading. The aircraft was substantially damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Where is the G-load indicated on that HUD?