Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will have the better offseason?
This poll is closed.
Montreal 19 14.29%
Edmonton 65 48.87%
Vancouver 49 36.84%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It's kind of funny how he made it big and Johnnie Football busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Hell yeah.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

Holy gently caress, hell yeah I loving would

e: wait, that's us dollars... gently caress.. still a good deal though

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Apparently every jersey on nhl.com is less than $50. I'm guessing they're clearing out the Reeboks?

e: I'm thinking there's something wrong with their site, since I'm seeing poo poo like Mitchell & Ness jerseys for the same price.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 12, 2016

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Infidel Castro posted:

Apparently every jersey on nhl.com is less than $50. I'm guessing they're clearing out the Reeboks?

e: I'm thinking there's something wrong with their site, since I'm seeing poo poo like Mitchell & Ness jerseys for the same price.

This isn't the official shop.nhl.com site, which is still selling jerseys for their normal, inflated price.

NHL.us.com is a Fanatics site. One that hasn't been updated since 2015. I've never liked Fanatics, they always feel too good to be true. I'd love to buy an authentic Landeskog Stadium Series jersey for 40 bucks, but I doubt it'd happen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah all the Flyers listings seem to be their regular inflated prices and they're still Reebok.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LumpyGumby posted:

This isn't the official shop.nhl.com site, which is still selling jerseys for their normal, inflated price.

NHL.us.com is a Fanatics site. One that hasn't been updated since 2015. I've never liked Fanatics, they always feel too good to be true. I'd love to buy an authentic Landeskog Stadium Series jersey for 40 bucks, but I doubt it'd happen.

You probably want to be extra careful buying from any site trying to pose as the real thing too.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Aphrodite posted:

You probably want to be extra careful buying from any site trying to pose as the real thing too.

I've ordered from Fanatics before with no real issue, and even if this site is on the up and up it still feels shady as gently caress.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/775143877367988227

If Orlov goes to the KHL because the Capitals couldn't fit him under the cap that would be some grade A bullshit.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/nino-niederreiter-wild-hockey-switzerland/

El Nino Niederreiter opens up

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

My parents went with me to every game. They were never upset if I played poorly, which apparently isn’t always the case in North America.

Understatement of the year right here, jesus christ.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For a while I enjoyed going to an in-law's hockey games, he coaches peewees. It's hilarious watching those little kids tail the puck in a giant pack.

Had to stop going because the parents in the stands were unbearable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm going into my 10th year of doing play-by-play of area high school and college hockey games for a small TV network and holy poo poo the things I've heard yelled from high school parents is anywhere from laughable to downright chilling.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

DJExile posted:

I'm going into my 10th year of doing play-by-play of area high school and college hockey games for a small TV network and holy poo poo the things I've heard yelled from high school parents is anywhere from laughable to downright chilling.

I've told this story before, but my grandfather -- coaching bantam hockey at the time -- once got threatened with a broken bottle in the parking lot because he didn't play some douchebag's son enough. The kid had plenty of TOI -- he was the team's best defenseman -- but my grandfather pulled him off the ice for the second half of the 3rd because the kid said he took a puck off his ankle and it was hurting him.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

DJExile posted:

Parent brawls at my local roller rink were commonplace.

Yeah.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Understatement of the year right here, jesus christ.

I can confirm from playing since I was a kid that hockey parents can be the god damned worst, and I never came close to being good enough to sniff pro hockey or juniors etc and I imagine it only gets worse the better the kids are. Apparently in Canada it can be even worse than the US, though. One of the reasons Crosby went to play for Shattucks St Marys is the parents in Canada gave him an unbelievable amount of poo poo for being so much better than their kids and his parents were afraid he'd get hurt.

Still, I doubt Hockey is unique in this regard. Football is probably even worse.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Overwined posted:

I've told this story before, but my grandfather -- coaching bantam hockey at the time -- once got threatened with a broken bottle in the parking lot because he didn't play some douchebag's son enough. The kid had plenty of TOI -- he was the team's best defenseman -- but my grandfather pulled him off the ice for the second half of the 3rd because the kid said he took a puck off his ankle and it was hurting him.

poo poo :stare:

I remember a few years ago seeing a story about Sidney Crosby, I think quoting his parents saying that in youth games they'd hear other parents calling for their kids to injure him and goddamn do I 100% believe that. E: Beaten to the punch. ^^^

The bigger teams I cover will typically have student sections of around 100 or so kids (not much, but they take up like a quarter of the stands. it's a small muni rink) and they get rowdy and have a good time, but never once have I heard anything worse than the standard "bull-poo poo, bull-poo poo, bull-poo poo" chants at close calls or penalties. The two big clumps of goofy, dumbass, high school kids are genuinely more mature than the drat parents sitting between them calling out opponent kids by name, screaming at refs, and calling for kids to get hurt.

E: I've never called football games so I can't speak to those. Soccer parents are pretty bad, and lacrosse parents are awful once they understand the game. Here in the midwest it's still a growing sport so for the most part parents don't know a lot about the game and just try to figure it out.

The more I think about it, it's almost always the rich white schools. I've called soccer matches of two lovely inner-city teams and yet they'd fill the drat stands with parents and fans from the neighborhood, playing drums, chanting, getting nuts for the camera, it's amazing and I love it.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 12, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
As a 12-13 year old kid I routinely got confronted/threatened by parents after games because I'd stapled little precious to the boards or given him a whack in the back of the leg that said parent saw.

Our group of parents was generally awesome though, they'd usually drop us off early, go to a bar for a while, show up halfway through the first period, not pay very close attention to what was going on, and then leave early to go sit in the parking lot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have a few family members who play for Mohawk teams, so consider normal hockey parents and throw extreme loving medieval racism into the mix.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Poonerman posted:

Parent brawls at my local roller rink were commonplace.

Yeah.

Wasn't there a brawl in the Maritimes some years back where somebody fell and hit their head on the steps between the seats and had brain damage or they died or some poo poo?

Ginette Reno posted:

I can confirm from playing since I was a kid that hockey parents can be the god damned worst, and I never came close to being good enough to sniff pro hockey or juniors etc and I imagine it only gets worse the better the kids are. Apparently in Canada it can be even worse than the US, though. One of the reasons Crosby went to play for Shattucks St Marys is the parents in Canada gave him an unbelievable amount of poo poo for being so much better than their kids and his parents were afraid he'd get hurt.

Still, I doubt Hockey is unique in this regard. Football is probably even worse.

Yeah. Apparently some of the stuff that used to get hurled Gretzky's way when he was a kid was pretty bad because he was so good that parents were convinced the reason he was clowning their kids was because he was lying about his age. And while I've not seen it with my own eyes, supposedly, brawls at HS football games between parents in Texas are not uncommon.

Sometimes I think I dodged a bullet by barely playing organized sports as a kid. Not because I think I was a prodigy at anything, that just sounds like a unpleasant culture to be around.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh yeah HS football in Texas is a loving religion. I wouldn't be shocked at all to know parent brawls happen.

E: I should also put in here that ultimately, I still see far more good from HS parents and fans than bad (some will give us hilarious stories about the kids to relay on the air), but man does the bad really stand out.

E2: vvv oh god do I feel for you guys though. The poo poo hurled at officials is 10 times worse.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I used to referee soccer. One time I called a penalty when a player was very clearly tripped in the box. An assistant coach on the offending team started yelling at me saying how bad the call was, and then after the team scored on the penalty he yelled to me "You know in South America referees are killed for calls like that!"

I immediately ended the game as a forfeit because gently caress being threatened like that. I called the commissioner of the league to tell him what happened and he banned the coach from the league.

Oh yeah I was like 16 years old at the time and was reffing like 12 year olds.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 12, 2016

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
One time I got thrown out of a high school lacrosse game because I made fun of an obnoxious parent's weight and flipped her the bird. Also the other school got a penalty shot because of my unsportsmanlike behavior and they scored on it, putting them ahead 10-2. Our team was the whipping boy of the division but and everyone knew it but I had to run extra laps at the next practice anyway. I think coach thought he was teaching me a life lesson but all I really learned is that it's really funny to watch a 45-year-old woman work herself up into hysterics because a 16-year-old called her a fat piece of poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

I used to referee soccer. One time I called a penalty when a player was very clearly tripped in the box. An assistant coach on the offending team started yelling at me saying how bad the call was, and then after the team scored on the penalty he yelled to me "You know in South America referees are killed for calls like that!"

I immediately ended the game as a forfeit because gently caress being threatened like that. I called the commissioner of the league to tell him what happened and he banned the coach from the league.

Respect for having the balls to do it. Seriously.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

One time I got thrown out of a high school lacrosse game because I made fun of an obnoxious parent's weight and flipped her the bird. Also the other school got a penalty shot because of my unsportsmanlike behavior and they scored on it, putting them ahead 10-2. Our team was the whipping boy of the division but and everyone knew it but I had to run extra laps at the next practice anyway. I think coach thought he was teaching me a life lesson but all I really learned is that it's really funny to watch a 45-year-old woman work herself up into hysterics because a 16-year-old called her a fat piece of poo poo.

Hi you would have been my least favorite person because as a former goalie I'd have been hella pissed. Now you are my new favorite person, thx.

God, free shots in the women's game is so loving weird to me

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Good lord.

bewbies posted:

As a 12-13 year old kid I routinely got confronted/threatened by parents after games because I'd stapled little precious to the boards or given him a whack in the back of the leg that said parent saw.

Our group of parents was generally awesome though, they'd usually drop us off early, go to a bar for a while, show up halfway through the first period, not pay very close attention to what was going on, and then leave early to go sit in the parking lot.

I got ejected once around the same age for shoving some kid who was hacking at our goalie after the whistle. He lost his balance and fell into the cross bar even though I basically just shoved him a little. He didn't even get hurt or anything and got right back up but I got thrown out and his dad hurled all kinds of curses at me from the stands as I skated off.

My dad also once got into an argument with an opposing coach who coached his team to be notoriously dirty. Said coach tried to hit my dad which got the cops called to the rink.

Youth sports.txt.

Aphrodite posted:

I have a few family members who play for Mohawk teams, so consider normal hockey parents and throw extreme loving medieval racism into the mix.

I'm afraid to ask

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 12, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

There's a rink near me with an attached sports bar that overlooks one of the rinks. It's a decent place to get lunch so sometimes I'll stop in there and usually it's rat hockey going on, but sometimes they got kids in a class.

One time I saw this little piece of poo poo, probably around 10 years old looping around the rink hacking other kids in the calves and knocking them to the ice whenever he had the chance. Didn't pay it much mind, figured they were all friends and giving each other poo poo because he was getting knocked down too. But at one point when they were lined up in the corner to wait for a drill he turned towards the glass and flipped me off.

Don't know what I did, I was just eating some chili. :smith:

Figured he had a bad home life and was just lashing out.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm no engineer, but wouldn't it be theoretically possible to put some kind of accelerometer in NHL players' helmets to indicate that a possible head injury occurred? I understand that there probably isn't a "magic number" that would indicate an injury but maybe something that could at least show that a player might need to sit in the spinning chair or something? I'll take my answer off the air.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

I'm no engineer, but wouldn't it be theoretically possible to put some kind of accelerometer in NHL players' helmets to indicate that a possible head injury occurred? I understand that there probably isn't a "magic number" that would indicate an injury but maybe something that could at least show that a player might need to sit in the spinning chair or something? I'll take my answer off the air.

Yes, and these are actually things you can buy now. I think the Ducks use them? Or maybe it was some college team. Accelerometers are showing up in football pads now too.

The issue is getting the parties involved to agree to make them mandatory. NHL probably doesn't want hard data on how many hits players take, and NHLPA probably doesn't want its members missing games because a computer told them so.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

xzzy posted:

There's a rink near me with an attached sports bar that overlooks one of the rinks. It's a decent place to get lunch so sometimes I'll stop in there and usually it's rat hockey going on, but sometimes they got kids in a class.

One time I saw this little piece of poo poo, probably around 10 years old looping around the rink hacking other kids in the calves and knocking them to the ice whenever he had the chance. Didn't pay it much mind, figured they were all friends and giving each other poo poo because he was getting knocked down too. But at one point when they were lined up in the corner to wait for a drill he turned towards the glass and flipped me off.

Don't know what I did, I was just eating some chili. :smith:

Figured he had a bad home life and was just lashing out.

We had a kid like that in one of my house leagues growing up and he was actually a lot of fun to play against because he'd put your team on the power play 2-3 times a game. As you might have gathered from my other story, I was probably a bit of a mini Avery/Marchand type of player as a kid myself, and one time I said "thanks for being my bitch" after I beat him en route to scoring a goal. He dropped his gloves and took off his helmet (keep in mind we're, like, 12/13) and challenged me to a fight. I skated away like nothing was happening but he got ejected from the game and suspended for another. I always wondered what his parents thought about him getting suspended so often since it's not cheap to play, but I think they were rich jerks who didn't really care about him all that much. I think he ended up killing himself a few years later but I might be thinking of a different rich kid I played hockey with.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

I remember a few years ago seeing a story about Sidney Crosby, I think quoting his parents saying that in youth games they'd hear other parents calling for their kids to injure him and goddamn do I 100% believe that. E: Beaten to the punch. ^^^

An old boss of mine was from Cole Harbour, and saw Crosby play around age 12-15 when he was a local celebrity and people suddenly got interested in bantam level hockey as a result. He was always playing up several age groups and would regularly (and for obvious reasons) play 40+ minutes a night. Other parents got so mad about this little kid taking ice time away from their much less talented children that they'd scream insults at him all game and boo him when he touched the puck. All game, every game.

As my boss told it, it wasn't just one or two people but a good section of parents who formed some sort of hate group for him. The coaches were threatened, league execs were bombarded with requests to ban him and other kids started to take dangerous runs at him at the behest of their parents. It was nuts. Apparently by the end Crosby would sit in the locker room after the game for 90 minutes or more waiting for everyone else to leave to avoid him and his parents being accosted in the parking lot by people who would deliberately wait for him.

All the while these games were suddenly covered in the Halifax newspapers and it went from being basically only parents and families in the stands, to minor hockey league sized crowds. My boss who wasn't even that interested in hockey went to a bunch of games because everyone was talking about this guy who was the next Gretzky. Crosby became the popular guy to root against because he was so much better than everyone else and played constantly. General fans forgot he was a highschooler and would cheer him getting hit, slashed or penalized like he was a pro. Hundreds of people would cheer the 17 year old who just elbowed the poo poo out of a 9th grader as he skated to the penalty box.

He moved away as soon as he could. I have no idea how the guy still liked hockey after that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

An old boss of mine was from Cole Harbour, and saw Crosby play around age 12-15 when he was a local celebrity and people suddenly got interested in bantam level hockey as a result. He was always playing up several age groups and would regularly (and for obvious reasons) play 40+ minutes a night. Other parents got so mad about this little kid taking ice time away from their much less talented children that they'd scream insults at him all game and boo him when he touched the puck. All game, every game.

As my boss told it, it wasn't just one or two people but a good section of parents who formed some sort of hate group for him. The coaches were threatened, league execs were bombarded with requests to ban him and other kids started to take dangerous runs at him at the behest of their parents. It was nuts. Apparently by the end Crosby would sit in the locker room after the game for 90 minutes or more waiting for everyone else to leave to avoid him and his parents being accosted in the parking lot by people who would deliberately wait for him.

All the while these games were suddenly covered in the Halifax newspapers and it went from being basically only parents and families in the stands, to minor hockey league sized crowds. My boss who wasn't even that interested in hockey went to a bunch of games because everyone was talking about this guy who was the next Gretzky. Crosby became the popular guy to root against because he was so much better than everyone else and played constantly. General fans forgot he was a highschooler and would cheer him getting hit, slashed or penalized like he was a pro. Hundreds of people would cheer the 17 year old who just elbowed the poo poo out of a 9th grader as he skated to the penalty box.

He moved away as soon as he could. I have no idea how the guy still liked hockey after that.

Kind of makes the whole "Crosby is soft" discussion so much bullshit

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kind of makes the whole "Crosby is soft" discussion so much bullshit

Pretty much no pro athlete who's still in game in their late 20s is soft. I could maybe see getting by on talent to make the NHL, if you're really talented, and maybe even stick around a few years, but the grind of professional sports isn't for guys who are less than fully committed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not soft, he's tenderized.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Isn't that pretty much why Crosby went to Shattuck-St Mary for a year?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Picturing this is hilarious.

To be fair, you totally deserved it I'm sure.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Yup. He would change into street clothes between games at tournaments because if people recognized him they'd come up to him and yell obscenities at him. Like grown rear end adults. They made his life a living hell because they were jealous of him showing up their own kids and supposedly reducing their chances of vicariously living out their pathetic dreams of NHL stardom.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Guys don't make me feel bad for Sidney Crosby.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Girls hockey had absolutely none of this, because the stakes were so much lower. The parents just hung out together and drunk beer in the stands while watching us play.

I don't remember much of it happening when I played boys hockey either, but I was a lot younger then, like 9/10 years old. I probably wouldn't even have noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

That and Shattuck has a pretty good rep as a hockey school.

What way too many hockey parents fail to realize is that their kid has next to no shot at the NHL. Every player that makes the NHL was an absolute loving star at some point in their careers - and often even extending into major juniors - and unless your kid is tearing poo poo up and embarrassing every league he's in he's probably not going to sniff the NHL let alone even junior or d1 hockey. We laugh at guys like Luca Sbisa but even he was at some point in his life the best player on the ice by far compared to the other kids he played with.

Nobody wants to hear that about their kid of course though.

Mind_Taker posted:

Guys don't make me feel bad for Sidney Crosby.

I kinda wonder if Ovechkin and Malkin experienced anything similar. I don't know what the youth hockey culture is like in Russia.

• Locked thread