Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

what's wrong with the windows store? :colbert:

apart from everything normal people need for getting work done not being on windows store, it's a really good thing and i'm glad it finally exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
sure whatever selinux poo poo i dont care. my password is 1 and i set up sudo nopasswd anyway. who cares

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Maximum Leader posted:

sure whatever selinux poo poo i dont care. my password is 1 and i set up sudo nopasswd anyway. who cares

quoting for shame

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

spent sunday learning more selinux and have 4 pages of notes but I still can't write a basic policy :downs:

b0red fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0red posted:

spent sunday learning more selinux and have 4 pages of notes but I still can't write a basic policy :downs:

it's less important to write policy than to be able to troubleshoot policy

rhel/cent/fedora come with a ton of prewritten policy, but it often takes tweaking to make a policy work for your specific application

(e.g. adapting pre-existing tomcat policy to suit your jetty-based app)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
arch has basically no manpower behind it and they dont have anybody who can maintain selinux support to an acceptable standard right now

be the change you want to see in the world

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's less important to write policy than to be able to troubleshoot policy

rhel/cent/fedora come with a ton of prewritten policy, but it often takes tweaking to make a policy work for your specific application

(e.g. adapting pre-existing tomcat policy to suit your jetty-based app)

Yeah I don't seem to really have a problem adapting the system to work with generic applications like databases & web servers. I'm just hoping to eventually get to the point where I can write some policies for my companies product. So far I've started by trying to write a policy for tranmission daemon and it's web gui. P interesting stuff

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
loving LOL if you care about selinux on your personal computer

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the only reason to use Linux at home is to learn stuff for work so selinux is essential

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i got nginx/hhvm to work and figured out how to fix my permissions and make them stop double-gzipping my pages, all without disabling selinux :toot:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

atomicthumbs posted:

i got nginx/hhvm to work and figured out how to fix my permissions and make them stop double-gzipping my pages, all without disabling selinux :toot:

granny compressing

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

what

SELinux is preventing google-chrome-s from create access on the file 63.

***** Plugin catchall (100. confidence) suggests **************************

If you believe that google-chrome-s should be allowed create access on the 63 file by default.
Then you should report this as a bug.
You can generate a local policy module to allow this access.
Do
allow this access for now by executing:
# ausearch -c 'google-chrome-s' --raw | audit2allow -M my-googlechromes
# semodule -X 300 -i my-googlechromes.pp

This pops up every time I start chrome but it doesn't seem to do anything. Same with printing. What SELinux doing?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

apparently a bug, selinux used to only check if a program had permission to create a file if the file did not exist, and at some point they flipped it to always be checked. chrome is trying to open some file in /proc which it knows exists, but has O_CREAT in there anyway, which selinux beats it over the head about despite it having no effect

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

bssoil posted:

what

SELinux is preventing google-chrome-s from create access on the file 63.

***** Plugin catchall (100. confidence) suggests **************************

If you believe that google-chrome-s should be allowed create access on the 63 file by default.
Then you should report this as a bug.
You can generate a local policy module to allow this access.
Do
allow this access for now by executing:
# ausearch -c 'google-chrome-s' --raw | audit2allow -M my-googlechromes
# semodule -X 300 -i my-googlechromes.pp

This pops up every time I start chrome but it doesn't seem to do anything. Same with printing. What SELinux doing?

Welcome to hell

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

https://github.com/gfredericks/quinedb posted:

QuineDB consists of the quinedb script in this repository. It is written in Bash and requires Bash 4.

How fast does it go?

I was able to insert 100 k/v pairs into an empty database in a mere 10 seconds. The runtime of each operation is (probably) proportional to O(n·log(n)), so it's not too surprising that inserting 1000 k/v pairs took over 11 minutes. If you need the database to be fast, we recommend not putting too much data in it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh God what lmao

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

Oh God what lmao

quote:

If your data and the database code are not stored in the same place, you risk losing track of one, making the other useless.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
If your database can't print its own source code, can you really trust it?

wise words

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Oh God what lmao

I'm not sure you've been paying attention

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
any reason i shouldn't use fedora as a home server? we're using centos servers at work now and i'll be doing work with them so i'm thinking of using it at home.

i currently use debian test so that i get more frequent package updates. can i similarly regard fedora server as a more up-to-date centos? or can i configure centos to do that too?

thanks pals

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

gabensraum posted:

any reason i shouldn't use fedora as a home server? we're using centos servers at work now and i'll be doing work with them so i'm thinking of using it at home.

i currently use debian test so that i get more frequent package updates. can i similarly regard fedora server as a more up-to-date centos? or can i configure centos to do that too?

thanks pals

does the installer work correctly now?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

atomicthumbs posted:

does the installer work correctly now?

that's a red flag, then

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
atomic thumbs had a very hard time installing Fedora for some reason

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

atomic thumbs had a very hard time installing Fedora for some reason

a very specific reason: if it couldn't connect to the internet, it installed fedora without a working package management system or most of the packages the os needed to actually function

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The installer works absolutely fine for me

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

spankmeister posted:

The installer works absolutely fine for me

i can't even remember what I was doing, but it was some edge case due to me only having wifi with a captive login portal. it would try to hit the internet through that and give up completely

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

i can't even remember what I was doing, but it was some edge case due to me only having wifi with a captive login portal. it would try to hit the internet through that and give up completely

ah right yeah, those suck.

i don't think the windows installer can deal with that either

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

spankmeister posted:

ah right yeah, those suck.

i don't think the windows installer can deal with that either

it works fine

edit: and by "give up completely" I mean it would pretend to install linux but install broken linux instead.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Does anyone still use Gentoo? I took a look at Arch, and thought if I want to gently caress around at that level, I might as well skip straight to Gentoo. Or *BSD.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mike12345 posted:

Does anyone still use Gentoo? I took a look at Arch, and thought if I want to gently caress around at that level, I might as well skip straight to Gentoo. Or *BSD.

No

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Arch is basically gentoo, but without having to wait 43 hours because your mail client needs updating.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mike12345 posted:

Nah, Arch is like a spiritual successor to Gentoo and much better at being gentoo than gentoo ever was.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
yes, gentoo is still alive, and yes, it is the best. install it now.

and as I said to VikingofRock, you can also use selinux if you want.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
why install arch when you can install gentoo. why go for second best.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
just remember to select a systemd profile and set init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd in bootargs. openrc... it was the best when there only was systemv-style inits around, but not anymore.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

gabensraum posted:

thanks pals

yeah it's basically up to date centos
congrats on moving on from debian for servers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
fedora and centos/rhel are ftw

arch is also acceptable

these are the three good linux

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

atomicthumbs posted:

edit: and by "give up completely" I mean it would pretend to install linux but install broken linux instead.

"i'm now downloading the kde package"
"hmm, '<html><head><title>Please login', seems like a legit package file to me"

evilcat
May 16, 2009

mike12345 posted:

I use it to mess around with.
Unless you have a specific use case for a *BSD, messing around with one of them tends to be a bit closer to classic unix and there is less for them than there is linux. Some of the package managers build from source, so they're more like Gentoo in that regard, and some others just have horrendously poor documentation or really narrow benefits.
That said I've had better luck getting BSDs to work on older or more limited hardware with much less work than trying to build a linux system specifically for it, so really both are worth trying out to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

mike12345 posted:

i think the point of gentoo is to install it, not to use it.